Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

*new* Henchmen

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
Professor Greyrose wrote:
New level 50, 60 and 70 Henchmen are now available in the Crown Shop. You will notice that the previous Henchmen for level 50 and 60 have been removed and replaced with these upgraded Henchmen. They cost more but they are MUCH stronger!

https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/november2011#henchmen
i dont think anyone is liking this. well i stand for KI in saying 400 crowns is 40 cents! cry babies cant find 40 pennies or ask for 5 bucks when your low? jeesh i dont think you guys can handle the truth here. well if you want the truth here it is! 40 CENTS

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
awesomecam030 wrote:
New level 50, 60 and 70 Henchmen are now available in the Crown Shop. You will notice that the previous Henchmen for level 50 and 60 have been removed and replaced with these upgraded Henchmen. They cost more but they are MUCH stronger!

i dont think anyone is liking this. well i stand for KI in saying 400 crowns is 40 cents! cry babies cant find 40 pennies or ask for 5 bucks when your low? jeesh i dont think you guys can handle the truth here. well if you want the truth here it is! 40 CENTS

well you can say it's just 40 cents and most people will say crowns are bought in lump sums of up to 80 dollors a pop.... crowns go down quicker which means more money you have to spend to get more....

Plus Lets get the facts straight if your gonna point fingers and call people out and calling them babies.... it's not so much the price as some of them are broke....people do not want to spend 400 or even 40 crowns if thier broke .... they dont help you .... they help them selves .... as for me i wouldn't mind spending the crowns if they actually worked .... for the ones i bought i didn't see any difference from the level 60 that was 60 crowns to the new level 60 that got raised to 300 crowns .... and the life henchmen of level 70, 60,and 50 are broke....they only heal them selves not the people who hired them.... so lets chill on calling names....no your facts before you post

Thanks For Reading

Survivor
Mar 17, 2011
i like the new hench men thier cool and there creatchers from different worlds :P

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
The best henchmen right now are at level 40,and still at a small cost. The new ones, the ones based on animals and not humans, are pretty much a waste of money. I've had a lot of success with the level 40 henchmen of late in helping my newest wizard on some tougher battles.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
awesomecam030 wrote:

Maybe for you 40 cents does not seem to be a big deal, but when you can only buy crowns in certain amounts and NOT just for a few pennies at a time, it presents a problem for some players. WE can't just spend that $5 to $80 for crowns just anytime we would like to.

If the economy has not hit you over the last few years, GOOD FOR YOU.

BUT, for many of us, it has hit home hard. We are just barely hanging on to our subs as it is and to buy even $5 worth of crowns to have them drained in a couple of battles or so just does not work. I do know that if the henchmen aren't fixed, and the original prices put back in place, I for one will not be buying crowns to hire them. I used to keep a few crowns to hire them when I needed them for those SOLO SPELL QUESTS. But I won't at the current prices of the level 50, 60, and 70 henchmen. I have a family to take care of and they come FIRST. Even $5 can make the difference to make sure there is meat on the table. AND, if worse comes to worse, my sub will be the next to go.

I really enjoy playing W101, but not to the point that I will sacrifice what my family's needs.

You really shouldn't be calling people cry babies. I think it is possibly you that can't handle the truth. People can't afford to buy a lot of crowns to dump on henchmen. Those that can afford them, GREAT, I am glad they can, I don't envy them just because of it and I am not going to start calling them names or condeming them. Some of them are my friends and they don't call me names because I can't afford the same things they can.

Explorer
Oct 08, 2009

i noticed the henchmen for level 70 now cost 400 crowns yeah 400 CROWNS!
i think this is a bit overpriced considering the ice henchmen isn't very good
but i still like the fact that now you can have a ghost lion as a minion

just can you lower the price a bit

Alex StarBreeze
Lvl 69
Ice

Defender
May 31, 2011
goldendragon18 wrote:
awesomecam030 wrote:

Maybe for you 40 cents does not seem to be a big deal, but when you can only buy crowns in certain amounts and NOT just for a few pennies at a time, it presents a problem for some players. WE can't just spend that $5 to $80 for crowns just anytime we would like to.

BUT, for many of us, it has hit home hard. We are just barely hanging on to our subs as it is and to buy even $5 worth of crowns to have them drained in a couple of battles or so just does not work. I do know that if the henchmen aren't fixed, and the original prices put back in place, I for one will not be buying crowns to hire them. I used to keep a few crowns to hire them when I needed them for those SOLO SPELL QUESTS. But I won't at the current prices of the level 50, 60, and 70 henchmen. I have a family to take care of and they come FIRST. Even $5 can make the difference to make sure there is meat on the table. AND, if worse comes to worse, my sub will be the next to go.

I really enjoy playing W101, but not to the point that I will sacrifice what my family's needs.

You really shouldn't be calling people cry babies. I think it is possibly you that can't handle the truth. People can't afford to buy a lot of crowns to dump on henchmen. Those that can afford them, GREAT, I am glad they can, I don't envy them just because of it and I am not going to start calling them names or condeming them. Some of them are my friends and they don't call me names because I can't afford the same things they can.

Very well said Goldendragon. I agree. There is no point in calling people names just because you are unable to understand or accept other peoples point of view.

I understand where you are coming from. Sounds like you some good friends there, too.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
awesomecam030 wrote:

First of all, KI is quite capable of standing in for themselves. They don't need you to speak up for them.

Secondly, remember this is a game primarily for little kids and a lot of little kids are told to spend their own allowance on it.

Now some little kids MIGHT get 5 bucks a week, maybe even more than that, but a lot of little kids don't get more than a dollar a week if that.

Remember, little kids. Not teenagers with after school jobs. Not parents with disposable income to just waste (who has that any more?) Little kids. 8 year olds.

40 cents is a big deal to a little kid. A very big deal.

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
awesomecam030 wrote:

First of all, KI is quite capable of standing in for themselves. They don't need you to speak up for them.

Secondly, remember this is a game primarily for little kids and a lot of little kids are told to spend their own allowance on it.

Now some little kids MIGHT get 5 bucks a week, maybe even more than that, but a lot of little kids don't get more than a dollar a week if that.

Remember, little kids. Not teenagers with after school jobs. Not parents with disposable income to just waste (who has that any more?) Little kids. 8 year olds.

40 cents is a big deal to a little kid. A very big deal.

Actually 40 cents isn't a big deal to me. Yes i am a little kid but NO 40 cents isn't a big deal to me. Maybe to some people. But yes i may spend some money on wizard101 getting crowns and membership and perks for me and my wizard. I may buy membership or 5000 crowns. But know whats a big deal to me? 80 dollars is a BIG deal to me. 60,000 Crowns For Henchman that keep healing themself. Might as well call that a Crown drain and buy a castle and mount .

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
safyrmoon wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
awesomecam030 wrote:

Very well said Goldendragon. I agree. There is no point in calling people names just because you are unable to understand or accept other peoples point of view.

I understand where you are coming from. Sounds like you some good friends there, too.

Thank you Safrymoon. I do have some good friends.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
safyrmoon wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
awesomecam030 wrote:

Is there a little Plagiarism here....Oh well ....

Anyways ... Hey KI anyword on what it looks like for the Henchmen Havn't heard anything from our beloved KI Group in a while.... hopefully you havn't forgotten....or put it on the back burner Cause the 50,60,70,Life Henchmen are still broke....

Thanks For Reading....

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I happened to walk in on my son finishing Wintertusk, and he had purchased 2 level 70 henchmen. He then told me this was his second purchase of henchmen for the dungeon, because the friend helping him was only level 48. 1600 crowns. Gone. As I look back to the beginning of this thread, I notice that KI responded back in November, but the prices have not gone down. Is KI planning on going back to a reasonable rate for henchmen, or not? As many have already stated, disposable income is scarce during this economy, and one would think that KI, as a business, would bring the cost of hiring a henchman back to where it was. Wizard101 is supposed to be geared toward families, but with these prices, I fear KI's idea of family is different than the rest of us. I hope KI is still reading these comments, and I certainly hope that the prices return to a more manageable amount. As a writer, I do review games from time to time, and would hate to have to point out the cost and effect of the "new" henchmen in Wizard101 to the general public.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
Ok, don't know if anyone said this, I got bored and stopped reading. Anyway, guys, why do you even need henchmen? Even without friends helping me I do just fine, and I'm fire! The second worst school for soloing . So, I don't even use henchmen. I still usually win, and my ice hasn't NEEDED any help at all! I do not even but crowns! See my point?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Loreis04 wrote:
I happened to walk in on my son finishing Wintertusk, and he had purchased 2 level 70 henchmen. He then told me this was his second purchase of henchmen for the dungeon, because the friend helping him was only level 48. 1600 crowns. Gone. As I look back to the beginning of this thread, I notice that KI responded back in November, but the prices have not gone down. Is KI planning on going back to a reasonable rate for henchmen, or not? As many have already stated, disposable income is scarce during this economy, and one would think that KI, as a business, would bring the cost of hiring a henchman back to where it was. Wizard101 is supposed to be geared toward families, but with these prices, I fear KI's idea of family is different than the rest of us. I hope KI is still reading these comments, and I certainly hope that the prices return to a more manageable amount. As a writer, I do review games from time to time, and would hate to have to point out the cost and effect of the "new" henchmen in Wizard101 to the general public.

So far there does not seem to be much going in the way of returning our old henchmen. I have not even been able to hire them since Zafaria was added to the Live Game. Did not have this problem during test or before. And if the prices don't come back down, I will not be running any Spell quests for my wizards, so I guess, they will become stagnate. If KI would fix this or let us have help from friends for the spell quests, it would make things better for a lot of wizards dealing with this issue.

X00X703
Ok, don't know if anyone said this, I got bored and stopped reading. Anyway, guys, why do you even need henchmen? Even without friends helping me I do just fine, and I'm fire! The second worst school for soloing . So, I don't even use henchmen. I still usually win, and my ice hasn't NEEDED any help at all! I do not even but crowns! See my point?

Maybe that works for you, but for some of us it doesn't. I have fire too along with 5 other schools. Ice is NOT one of them, and not sure that even on second account that I will join Ice. Tried Ice once and deleted at level 38 and replaced with Myth. But the point is, that some of us do need that extra help, especially for SPELL QUESTS.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
X00X703 wrote:

With all due respect, I find it difficult to believe that you soloed Wintertusk, as you state you do "fine" without friends helping you. I believe the point that people are making in this comment thread is that 400 crowns is extremely unrealistic for most people. Also, since the drop rate on quest items still improves when you hire a henchman, it seems a bit disingenuous for KI to promote Wizard101 as a free to play game when, in fact, it is not. And, if you "do not even but (I'm guessing you meant 'buy') crowns", how are you able to move on to the more difficult worlds? I'm sorry you became bored by others' posting about the outrageous prices KI is now charging for henchmen; perhaps in the future, you would be better served sticking to topics in which you have a vested interest.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I love the new and stronger henchmen! I used to use henchmen a lot, when I had crowns and was battling a boss. Instead of asking my friends to help me, I just bought henchmen! I love the low prices for the henchmen!

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
kellkan wrote:
I love the new and stronger henchmen! I used to use henchmen a lot, when I had crowns and was battling a boss. Instead of asking my friends to help me, I just bought henchmen! I love the low prices for the henchmen!

what do you mean by Low prices .... if you are refering to the 1 billion dollar mark up (over exaggerated of course) Then you probally don't have any bills and mommy and daddy buy you the crowns... and if you do have a job and pay for your own crowns and still think 400 crowns is cheap for one Henchmen that you don't even get to keep till it dies cause once the battle is over it done.... and God forbid you buy a life Henchmen 50, 60 or 70th level.... that doesn't even work by healing it self the whole time.... then wow you need to give your secret on how to balance a life stile around Wizard101....

Thanks For Reading

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
Sorry but I agree. I was sorely disappointed when I saw the new henchmen and the prices. I like to solo a lot so this was a huge hit to me. The henchmen are really not worth the increase in price. The life henchmen I had to buy twice in one battle yesterday does forest lord everytime on his first spell but it's only a 500 hit. Then he gets attacked and dies and you have to buy another one. The whole reason why people buy life is to heal them during the battle. It's just crazy that the price spiked up so high for any of the henchmen when none of them are really any stronger than the level 60 60 crown ones. :?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Will we see any changes any time soon KI?

I have a 2 wizards that will be needing to do spell quests in the next day or so and since we can't have friends help with those, it would be nice to be able to hire henchmen we can depend on and at the crowns rate they should be. NOT the kind of MARKUP that is now applied to the lvl 50, 60, and 70 henchmen.

At this point, my wizards will not be getting any new spells, so now what?

Defender
May 31, 2011
dragonpower333 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
safyrmoon wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
awesomecam030 wrote:

Is there a little Plagiarism here....Oh well ....

Anyways ... Hey KI anyword on what it looks like for the Henchmen Havn't heard anything from our beloved KI Group in a while.... hopefully you havn't forgotten....or put it on the back burner Cause the 50,60,70,Life Henchmen are still broke....

Thanks For Reading....

Huh, plagiarism is using the written works of another and claiming it as your own. Quoting someone else and attributing it to the person whose wrote it is not.

As far as how broken the current henchmen are, I can only speak of the level 50 life. I does heal better than it did, but it still need work. I still prefer the skills of the level 40 life compared to the current level 50.

Again at the current prices I still would want aid from them then just one battle.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
Will we see any changes any time soon KI?

I have a 2 wizards that will be needing to do spell quests in the next day or so and since we can't have friends help with those, it would be nice to be able to hire henchmen we can depend on and at the crowns rate they should be. NOT the kind of MARKUP that is now applied to the lvl 50, 60, and 70 henchmen.

At this point, my wizards will not be getting any new spells, so now what?

Im probally going to go out on a limb here and say that they are not even gonna consider it right now let a lone tell you that they are strill working on it.... it's obvious people are still buying the broken 50 to 70th level Henchmen so Ki is still making money off them .... Lets not forget first and forth most KI is a company and companies are all bout the money ....

Thanks For Reading

Explorer
Oct 03, 2009
safyrmoon wrote:
I just tried out the level 60 Life, Death, and Ice henchman.

I can't say at this time that I have noticed much difference, except in the life henchman. He caste a number of healing spells and except for one they were all on himself. That is not the reason I purchase a Life henchman. I must say so for I am very disappointed and do not feel they are worth extreme inflation.
I prefer life henchmen

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
I was shocked at the price increase, but I figured there was a reason for it.

Based on public presentation (not the most scientific approach, to be sure), I'd say KI is in a fine place financially and have the option to experiment a bit with game elements which might cause some swing in their income stream.

I deduced, therefore, that one of two things was afoot; either KI wanted to discourage the use of Henchmen because their heavy use was ruining the gameplay, or the new features were so cool they were worth paying for.

I note with some irony that old complaints from the original Henchmen addition was that the Life guy never healed. Now, with the new Henchmen, the complaint is that he heals himself when he hasn't taken any damage (which is admittedly a recurring flaw in computer-run characters in W101), and that he only heals himself (which I hope is a design flaw that is being, or has been, investigated and possibly corrected).

I considered registering a complaint about the price increase, but decided that we started this game without Henchmen and there isn't any reason they should ever be needed. If KI thinks it's a luxury item that deserves a price increase, I can opt to not buy any.

Attempting to goad KI into lowering the prices isn't likely to succeed. Pointing out that you're unhappy with the new pricing is reasonable, as is expressing a disappointment in the way the new Henchmen behave given the price increase.

My final note, someone on this thread actually proposed the best immediate solution, so I thought I'd repeat it for general consumption: The Level 40 Life Henchmen apparently behaves in the expected manner, and only costs 40 Crowns. So apparently it would be wise to save your money and buy that guy if you're looking for a healer.

- Stephen EarthMender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Survivor
Oct 27, 2010
I do not care for the prices of henchman as long as they do what they are suppose to do. More so the LIFE henchmen. A real human player of LIFE will heal the weak and revive the defeated.The Henchmen of Life do nothing of the sort. I was in black castle in Zafaria and it was four on one. Naturally I was about to die and so I hired 3 life henchmen rank 6,7, and 8. Not one of them healed me when I died. What made matters worse was they kept healing themselves and each other with full lives already! WHY!? And to top it all off they defeated the boss without me and I hired them... I PAYED FOR THEM!.. I PAID MONEY FOR ME TO DIE. I am highly dissapointed by this.

Christopher Dragoncloud
Legendary Conjurer

Chris Foeflame
Legendary Necromancer

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
A couple of quick notes.

snypereye24 wrote:
Naturally I was about to die and so I hired 3 life henchmen rank 6,7, and 8. Not one of them healed me when I died. What made matters worse was they kept healing themselves and each other with full lives already! WHY!?

It has been noted previously on similar threads that waiting until the last minute to hire a Life Henchman often results in no healing for the purchaser. Buying one early on apparently yields better results. Not sure if that's what happened to you but I thougth I'd share the note.

snypereye24 wrote:
And to top it all off they defeated the boss without me and I hired them... I PAYED FOR THEM!.. I PAID MONEY FOR ME TO DIE.

Funny! And then again, not so funny.

snypereye24 wrote:
I am highly dissapointed by this.

That seems to be a fairly common opinion at present.

I have to admit, it sure seems like healthy henchmen healing himself hardly qualifies as useful for something we are paying for -- regardless of the price. Coding up some good healer logic would be challenging, but seems like a ripe project for the fine staff at KI which may be long overdue.

I know they watch these threads; I hope they are looking into it. Especially at 400 Crowns (not a lot of money for most folks, but way more than 60), one would expect a Life Henchman to at least make a notable effort to emulate a real Life Wizard.

Time alone shall tell this tale.

- Stephen EarthMender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm