Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help with Myth please!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
Firstly, thanks to all those experienced myth wizards for answering my questions!

I am currently a level 11 myth wizard and cannot solo any bosses in the Firecat Ally area. I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong. I've bought a new deck (now have 8 gold, LOL) and to my great disappointment, I still have the same number of "face up" cards to pick from.

It seems every time I fight, I don't get a minion card straight off (even though I've made sure all 3 troll cards are in the deck), and also have a lot of rank 2 and 3 cards which I can't cast due to pip constraints. In summary, my picks are horrible. I even did away with my wand because those wand summons were polluting my deck!

The fact that I don't attack first is killing me as well! And where's that potion when I need it....we can't use it in combat?!?

It doesn't help that I picked death as a secondary. I use none of those death cards. I can't retrain until lvl 12 so I'm stuck with that for now.

Please help! Also, are there any good guides out there? I've searched the web but all I'm finding are some general descriptions about the school-no real guides.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Awesome. Ok lets start with the wand. It's ok to dump those wands that give you those extra attacks. Find a wand that will allow you to jab the opponent for no pips.

Since you are in firecat alley, grab an ice wand. Jab with those ice spells.

Three trolls is a great way to start. But don't count out your puppet! He is still great at this level and is free to summon so make good use of it.

Death as a secondary is not a smart way to go for beginning myth. You should have ran for ice first! Or at least balance so you can grab the weakness spell.

Since you will be making good use of your minions, prepare to have longer fights. Also go to the second or third page here to see my Puppet Guide for minions, spells and suggestions on using them in combat.

Try to sell some unneeded stuff and or things that you just cant use and focus on keeping your health up for now. Later levels you can worry about resist and attack boosts. Fight with your minion to divide the opponent. It will make the fights longer, but the end result is greater offensive power.

Go to bazaar and look at available gear for your level. Think about what you want to focus on in terms of health or resist for now and buy that gear. Also sell in bazaar, you usually get more gold that way.

If you do have enough crowns for Dagger heart steel in the shopping district, grab it! Grab it now. That will help a lot.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I have a myth legendary with her secondary being death. She's my very first wizard and I have had difficulty with her too. But I chalk it up to her being the first and being the first one going into new worlds and combat. She's one of my favorite wizards to play (barring my death legendary).

With a bit a patience and leveling up, you'll get better spells in both your primary and secondary schools.

Cassandra Lionhunter, Myth

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
Thanks for the responses!

I'm short on gold now (due to buying a new deck in hopes I would have more "face up" cards) so I'm not sure what I should do. I think my character is messed up beyond repair.

I'm seriously thinking of scrapping her and starting a death wizard. I won't be dependent on minion cards (that never seem to be "face up" during the first 3 rounds) and I can heal as I do damage.

A shame, really, since myth sounded really appealed to me.

Side question....discarding...what good is it? You can't redraw a new card if you discard..... ?? Example: first round, I have a trap, some 2nd and 3rd rank spells. I really want a minion so I discard my 3rd rank in hopes I can draw a minion. However, now I'm just left with less "face up" cards that what I had before and I can't pick a new one.

Also...pips. At later levels, do people really have to skip 6 or 7 rounds so they can cast a rank 6 or 7 spell? Yikes!

I guess this game's combat system is a bit confusing to me.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Whoa! Ok you are really new. Alright then let's go through this step by step. I'll try harder not to ramble, i tend to provide too much information. Ok first:

"I'm short on gold now (due to buying a new deck in hopes I would have more "face up" cards) so I'm not sure what I should do."

When you buy a deck, it is not automatically equipped. So you still have your old deck equipped. Open up your backpack and equip the new deck then add your spells. (I'm assuming based on what I quoted from you above that this was an issue for you.)

In your new deck, try this set up for now:
3 pixie, 2 puppets 2 troll minions. Have 2 troll attacks, 3 traps, 3 cyclops attacks.

"I'm seriously thinking of scrapping her and starting a death wizard. I won't be dependent on minion cards (that never seem to be "face up" during the first 3 rounds)"

I am assuming face up means in your hand. If they are not showing up its probably because they are not in the deck you have equipped. So place those spells in the deck.
As far as quitting goes, I'm not just saying this because I am myth and went from newbie to legendary twice with myth wizards, Don't do it! If you quit now with your myth because of confusion, who is to say you wont quit with other types of wizards? You just started playing, take it slow.

"Side question....discarding...what good is it?"
Discarding allows you to move the spells in your hand faster. This way when y ou remove a spell and make room, when the next turn comes, you have a new list of spells replacing all the ones you removed, instead of one at a time which is how the game moves when you cast a plain attack. Discarding also opens up the DRAW option for you to pick up a treasure card.

Don't ever discard your hits! You may be interested in being a puppet master and mastering puppet play, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be acting offensively too! So save your troll and cyclops strikes. If you see my guide I explain ways minions are used.

Oh yeah about pips:
When you level up you will get power pips. These count as two white pips for your element only (second element with mastery amulet). You can have a mad of 7 pips ready for use. So 7 power pips (Since you are myth lets call them myth pips) means 14 white pips. So you can hit faster and wont have to wait 5 turns for a big strike every time.

And...that's it for now.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
By the time you get rank 6 or 7 spells, you will be getting power pips. Power pips count as 2 white pips. So to cast a level 6 spell you only need 3 power pips.

I agree with what someone else said. Look for the best gear you can afford and look often. Sometimes the best gear isn't in bazaar when you are there so go back and look again.

I almost deleted my myth when she was in Marleybone, just could not connect with her. However, I decided to continue to Legendary and now she is one of my favorite wizards to play and really quite powerful. I have all wizards but balance and they are all Legendary so been playing a while :)

About decks, don't always assume bigger is better. Think about how many spells you actually cast in one battle. Running a smaller amount of spells in your deck means your chances of getting what you need when you need it will be much higher.

I started out with death as secondary, bought back my training points and switched it to life and ice (for the tower). Hope this helps! Good luck!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Would it help to meet up in game? I'd be happy to help you out and explain things assuming you have open chat.

Defender
Jun 08, 2011
I have a low level myth wizard (my third character, after fire and balance wizards), and had no trouble with Firecat Alley at all.

Some advice:
Use the puppet minion more than the troll minion. True, the troll casts stronger spells and has better health, but he also casts less frequently. That puppet will generally try to throw a rank 1 spell every single round, and varies which school it casts from, meaning that it is far more likely to bypass a foe's resistances than your regular spells are. One tactic I used frequently was letting the puppet attack, while I used Pixie to heal if needed while building up pips for my better spells. Seeing as you have a death secondary, you might use Ghoul the same way, to get a bit of healing as well as an attack.

Keep your wand! Even if you are just using the free thing that you got with your spellbook, that is 6 extra attack cards. Just because they are rank 1 does not make them bad. If you have one of the wands that do 100% accuracy blasts, just make sure that it is of a different school than you are, so it doesn't set your myth traps and blades off. As this kind of wand is invariably 0 pips, you get free attacks from it while you build up pips for your main spells.

Discarding has two major uses.
One, it lets you draw a treasure card from your sideboard - assuming that you loaded some into your sideboard in the first place. It's the fan of golden card backs on the far right side of the screen when you are adjusting your deck.
and
Two, if you don't like what you currently have in your hand, it opens up space for drawing further cards and hopefully getting something that you do want on the next turn.

By the way, there is NO deck in the game that will allow you to have more than 6 "face up" cards at a time. None. You get better decks to be able to have more cards in your selection, to be able to have more copies of preferred spells, and to have larger sideboards.

Use red wisps between fights to replenish your health. Save potions for replenishing mana without returning to the Commons, or for emergency healing inside of dungeons.

Speaking of potions, when you go to the Fairgrounds, make sure to talk to Sabrina and get your shield. As a myth wizard, you'll find that you have a number of spells from sources besides Professor Cyrus Drake available to you as you gain levels. She's just the first such trainer.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Gavotte wrote:
Firstly, thanks to all those experienced myth wizards for answering my questions!

I am currently a level 11 myth wizard and cannot solo any bosses in the Firecat Ally area. I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong. I've bought a new deck (now have 8 gold, LOL) and to my great disappointment, I still have the same number of "face up" cards to pick from.

It seems every time I fight, I don't get a minion card straight off (even though I've made sure all 3 troll cards are in the deck), and also have a lot of rank 2 and 3 cards which I can't cast due to pip constraints. In summary, my picks are horrible. I even did away with my wand because those wand summons were polluting my deck!

The fact that I don't attack first is killing me as well! And where's that potion when I need it....we can't use it in combat?!?

It doesn't help that I picked death as a secondary. I use none of those death cards. I can't retrain until lvl 12 so I'm stuck with that for now.

Please help! Also, are there any good guides out there? I've searched the web but all I'm finding are some general descriptions about the school-no real guides.

My advice as someone who had Myth as my first wizard and is currently working on a new one:
1) Do not do away with your wand. First mistake. You can discard one and get a different card. Also, they are handy to get rid of shields, and build up your pips while doing damage. Sell something and buy back your wand.
2) Do not count on your minions and do not waste deck space with more than 1 or two minions. At that level, I use one troll and one puppet.
3) Death is fine as a secondary. Use it. You can help build your life back up a little bit by using the ghoul.
4) Load your deck with shields. This will help keep you alive while you build up your pips. Use the charms to build up your attacks.

Myth is a great school, but takes some strategy. Don't give up. I love my Myth wizards.