Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Review of ice.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
I've been an ice wizard for the entirety of the games' history, and there is no other school that I would prefer. Ice has superior defenses, plenty of shield breakers, good preparatory spells, and has shields, some unique to that school only. But ice, however, actually comes last in direct attack power, and, needs it's preparatory spells to do sufficient damage, arguably making it an advanced school, also because defense requires some amount of skill to work effectively, and ice wizards can't focus on attack alone. Ice, also tends to work well with schools that supplement, like life, death, star, and sun, a bit more than other schools, especially life. With the ability to take more damage, they have better chances to heal themselves with life spells, powerfully supporting them with the extra chances. It also makes me wonder why ice never got a healing spell in light of the fact that it complements them so well.
The closest thing ice ever got to healing was frozen armor, but it's still not a healing spell, but you use it when things are dire. Ice, like I said earlier, comes last in direct attack power, so it likes any help it can get, so sun and star spells make it better at attacking. Death can only help Ice with normal
non DOT hits with feint, so it only helps colossus, but, I think the new rank 9 ice spell might be of this type, not sure, but if it is, it will be good for ice.
And to top it off with ice abilities, taunts, contrary to what K.I. might think, taunts are rather useless, maybe even negative, cause it has no effect in PVP, and being targeted by NPC's maybe of little benefit on rare occasions, no school has the ability to be the only target and even a single enemy taunt can be bad news for the wizard. Taunts are a throwaway spell.

Now, Ice should spend most of their equipment to improve their attack, but also should be concerned with defense, they don't have the time to spend on power pip chance, accuracy, critical, or block rating.

Ice isn't very strong on it's own right, but it uses other schools to cover gaps more effectively than other schools. and can be probably even a greater threat when it's weaknesses are covered. Ice can reach piratical damage levels with sun and star supplement alone.
The celestia expansion , by far in the current game, was the best thing that ever happened to Ice. This was what made it a good school. They really had nothing much until it was released. Giving it better damage through astral spells snow angel, witch does 760 to all enemies, 220 more damage than collosus, witch only did 540 max at the time. Criticals didn't help ice too much, ice has the lowest rating but the highest block rating. Ice pretty much has shrugged off the fact that other schools gained resistance to all.

Here is what I what equipment ice should have at lvl 60 to be effective
Frostbit hood, Frostbit Cape, Frostbit boots, celestian deck, a non-ice wand preferably lifeforce blade(of course), lexicon blade, aurate band, Icebird, ravens shadow necklace. Frostbit hood and boots are kind of obvious, celestian snow smock is chosen by some players because of it's resistance, but frostbit cape offers mainly better damage, & health, but also offers accuracy to all, incoming health boost, and a better critical boosts. Lexicon blade and aurate band offer better health boosts than the ring of battle and there is no bears claw of ice, and they offer the best damage boosts they can have, but they also provide good block, & healing.
celestian deck because it offers more spells and they can fit more supplement spells. Raven's shadow necklace gives +198 health boost with +35% damage, witch's star necklace only gives +50 but offers +30% and +35% damage boosts, combined with resistance, health boosts are more valuable than they seem (tactic of keeping defense in mind), on top of that,
blades tend to be more valuable when fighting multiple opponents, so collosus won't be used often during that time, and dark pact given by the shadow necklace, can be used to remove traps and negative charms providing more strategic uses while providing +5% when using multi-hit spells.

Ethan Frostblade Lvl 60 thaumaturge.

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
Alexander5335 wrote:
Not to sound rude, but what was the point of this post?? :?

Actually, I found the post helpful, as I am looking at developing my Ice Wizard currently at level 11 (before buy-back), and would like to know whether it is worth proceeding. I wish others could be as frank in evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of their wizards to give novices some strategy pointers.

Explorer
Sep 01, 2010
Armiger
May 10, 2010
No school is weak, the players, their setup, and their strategies are what is weak, not the schools... Every school can be powerful, if you know what you are doing and how to play your school...

The mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
iceking355 wrote:
I owned a legendary life so yeah, don't say ice is weak

Didn't mean to say ice is weak, and I said I like ice.

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
darthjt wrote:
No school is weak, the players, their setup, and their strategies are what is weak, not the schools... Every school can be powerful, if you know what you are doing and how to play your school...

The mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Like I said to the other guy, actually didn't intend to say ice is weak, but I guess it's hard not to see your weak points so that's why it might sound so.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for a well thought out post. I just started working on an Ice/death wizard and found this info of great use.