Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do wards activate in the order they are cast?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 30, 2011
This questing has been bugging me for a while so I finally asked this today: do prisms and traps activate in the same order that you place them? When I'm doing a mega hit with a spell that the opponent resists to, I lay out the traps and pull out a prism, which I cast onto the opponent after all the traps are ready, at the last second, but sometimes the prism activates first, converting the damage that the traps I lay out was set to activate to into a inert opposite damage that only universal traps can confront. Do they activate in order, or are they just scattered?

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Blades, wards, traps and such all activate in the "First In, First Out" principle. So the last trap/ward cast on someone will be the first one to activate.

In other words, if you place a Fire Prism, Feint and Fire Trap on a monster (in that order), then it will go off in the order of Fire Trap, Feint, and THEN the prism (which was placed first, and thus is the last one to be triggered).

If you instead placed the spells as Feint, Fire Trap and Fire Prism, the prism would activate first and therefore not trigger your Fire Trap.

The order can get a bit messed up if you add multiple instances of the same spell to a monster - I haven't tested that too much, myself, but it seems that the newest cast spell is the one that the game counts on. So if you add Fire Prism -> Feint -> Fire Trap -> Fire Prism, it would take the prism first due to the "First In, First Out" principle.

Defender
Jun 08, 2011
I'm afraid you have it backwards. The mostly recently placed ward triggers first, working onward until the eldest ward activates just before the spell effect actually strikes the target.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Fin3cy6 wrote:
This questing has been bugging me for a while so I finally asked this today: do prisms and traps activate in the same order that you place them? When I'm doing a mega hit with a spell that the opponent resists to, I lay out the traps and pull out a prism, which I cast onto the opponent after all the traps are ready, at the last second, but sometimes the prism activates first, converting the damage that the traps I lay out was set to activate to into a inert opposite damage that only universal traps can confront. Do they activate in order, or are they just scattered?

You have to cast the prism spell first, then the additional traps. Those traps set before the prism, unless they are whatever the spell is to turn into, aka, ice to fire and you use a fire trap, will not be utilized.

Champion
May 03, 2011
If you need to use a prism, you have to get it on as soon as possible in case the opponent shields against it. Example: a lot of Life mobs cast Death shields. My Life always puts her prisms on as soon as possible, because then the Death shield will be inactive for that turn. If they get the Death shield on first, before the prism, then the prism is useless because the shield will activate first.