Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Puppet Guide

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Purpose: To guide new and developing myth players interested in their minions. And to help those wanting to make the best out of puppet play.
New info has been added that I was unable to keep up with before. This improved guide should be more helpful than the last one.
I encourage any player of any element to observe certain tips. Some of the minions here act a little like other minions from other schools so don't think that because this is a focus on myth minions that certain rules or behaviors may not apply to your own minion.

Living puppet;
Recommended places to use: Wizard city, Krokotopia, Marleybone, Mooshu, Wysteria, PvP
This puppet cost no pips
attacks: Blood bat(myth) Thunder snake(storm) fire cat(fire) frost beetle

Behavior: This minion is very aggressive. It has very poor health, 45 points. Think of this minion as a never ending DoT spell. It constantly fires off an attack every single turn from the list of spells above.
He casts blood bat and fire cat frequently. This is a plus in that Blood bat will pick away the myth shields for you in due time. And if time of legend is up, Blood bat can hit with the force of a fire cat and thunder snake against enemies with no resistance.

all other spells are cast with more variety so the spell choices kind of balance out.

Final word/suggestion on living puppet: Use it to pick away at health and shields but be sensible on how many of these you have in your deck. This little guy will be a pest until the enemy decides to do something about it. Very very handy. Keep one close and become friends with this puppet! It is free to summon and will always strike. You cant beat free firepower.
Deck usage: For early levels, try to keep about three in your deck. You can just summon and forget this minion but be careful when making use of your myth traps. You may not want it being used up on a blood bat.

Troll minion:
Recommended places to use: Wizard City, Krokotopia, Marleybone, Wysteria, PvP

This minion is an X pip spell to cast with the max pip cost being 3.
At 3 pips troll has 450 health

Spells: blood bat, myth trap, troll(myth) 170-210, cyclops(myth) 265-325, sprite

Behavior:
He loves to trap! Troll traps all the time and you will need him to do so when you want to cast minotaur/orthrus.
Given that he only attacks with myth spells, he does a great job of eating away your opponents myth shields. This is a bonus for you.
He tends to trap then troll, or sometimes trap, pass then cyclops. Occasionally he will double trap! It is rare but he does sprite you. It is more likely that he will sprite himself when his health is low. He is an independent fighter.

Final word/suggestions:
He is just as aggressive as wooden puppet but with a bigger punch to his hits. Work with this minion for sure! But know that you have to have a deck set up so you wont conflict with your minions spells. unlike the wooden puppet, this isn't a minion that you just cast and forget. Its effectiveness will increase if you work with the minion and remember that he is your partner. Use him to speed up your buffs. If you see him casting a trap, put on a blade in the same turn or if you don't yet have time of legend, put up a trap on the same turn. This way you shorten the set up time to hit big. If you cant attack but have a blade, give it to the minion when it is going to hit.
Try to have a deck set up that will allow you to hit hard alongside your troll.

Cyclops minion:
Recommended places: Marleybone, Mooshu, DragonSpyre
Another X pip minion, that costs at most 4 pips and comes with a very nice 700 health at 4 pips.

Spell set:
Blood bat, troll, cyclops, donate pips (balance 2 pips donated to target) sprite, myth blade, myth trap, spirit shield(balance, a life myth and death shield all in one)

Behavior:
This guy is tricky because he has a very large spell set. He can sometimes be slow and clumsy. His natural attack has only 75% accuracy. He seems to be a much more supportive minion unlike the previous two. He will sprite you slightly more often than the troll, give you pips, and give you a blade, which he does a good amount of. He will even shield you. There have been many times where he will pass twice in a row. So this minion will require some patience.
This is definitely a minion you want to practice with. The worst thing you can do is conflict with this minions spell choices so pay attention to what he does! Remember that your minions effectiveness will depend on how you get along with it. So do what you can to complement their choices with different spells that will help the two of you.
If he is casting a blade, put up time of legend, or give him a buff minion spell. Little things like this will make a huge difference.

Final word on this minion: He takes some understanding. his passing can be dangerous but be patient. Once this minion gets going he can be pretty helpful.

Minotaur Minion:
Recommended locations: DragonSpyre, Celestia, WinterTusk
Cost: 3 pips
health: 700
Spells: Blood bat, troll, tower shield, sprite, taunt, myth trap, natural attack(105 damage)

Behavior:
This minion is your sponge. He is your shock absorber, your decoy. He will usually taunt once reaching 2 pips. This is meant to call the attention of your enemies. His first turn is usually a tower shield on himself. He does this so he can take the big hits. He will sometimes give you a tower shield but that is rare. He will sprite himself when his health is low then tower himself then go back to taunting to draw the enemies attention. Sometimes he will trap and attack. But don't rely on this minion for offense. Rely on this minion to take damage.

Final words:
Sometimes taunt will not affect the enemies. This could be because you may have hit with a frog or earth or whatever on the same turn as taunt. This could be an issue if you are ready to hit and do not wish to wait another turn or two, or if you overlook your minions decision and hit with frog, your minion just ends up wasting 2 pips. Try to focus on setting up and shielding while the minion calls the enemies attention.
Once the enemies have used up their pips, then try to go on the offensive.

Talos
Recommended locations: ?? (Only thing I can think of for Talos is PvP honestly. You get him after Wintertusk anyway so by then most of your questing is pretty much done.)
Costs 5 pips
1000 health
Spells:
Yellow Troll (hits for 170 then stamps enemy with a myth trap)
Natural attack: 2 pips, 200 damage! 80% accuracy
Hex: 30% universal trap
Humungofrog
Minotaur
Stun!
Myth blade
Earthquake

Weaknesses: Death and Storm attacks are granted boosts against talos.
Resists: Is very resistant to other myth attacks. 40%

Strengths: He has an inherent attack boost of 28%

Behavior:
he reminds me very much of a balance between the troll minion and cyclops.
There was a frequent cast of hex traps and stuns with the occasional frog or minotaur. This is really nice indeed. But be warned, if you use medusa hoping for the double stun, if talos stuns your enemy before you then you will lose that chance.
He also gets power pips!
If I had to describe his behavior in one word, it would have to be sabotage. He is all about ruining the opponents game plan. With an inherent attack boost, an affinity for trapping and stunning, this minion is all about tying down your enemy and pushing them into a corner. His humungofrog will melt off any weak minions and leave your opponent scrambling for an escape route. He really pushes the minion puppet playing for Myth wizards.

Defending your buddy:
In Krokotopia there is a secret shop that will provide myth free minion support spells. If you are thinking about using the really strong tower for your minion, I applaud you. It can be tricky filling up your deck with shields only a minion can use. One thing that I like to do is use weakness. This way when an opponent uses a mob spell like tempest, I am not only softening the damage to my minion, I am protecting myself. Weakness is also good when you are not sure who the enemy is going to attack. it's a great security spell even if the damage is only reduced by 25%.
It's hard to care much about using heals on Talos in general gameplay because you hit so hard by this point in the game you can gargantuan frogs for 800+ damage. And his health is very good. But healing talos is very handy for PvP play. Sprites are best for minions like Talos troll. Keeping the minion going for a longer time helps stretch out your opponents resources. This can wear them thin and put them right where you want them. and if you are in a tight spot and really want to keep talos going, if you see him with just 100 health or something, have life amulet and give him a satyr! Defending your minion in any gameplay is an interesting (although still not perfect)way to put your opponents on edge.

If anything is missing, let me know. If this gets approved, I may transfer the awesome taunt guide that appeared in my older manual from another helpful player here.