Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Giving Up

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I have been trying to improve the talents on my Humongofrog for the last few weeks. It typically goes like this: farm (and I am tired of Wintertusk bosses, for sure) repeatedly until 40,000 gold is acquired. This takes about 2 days, since I'm not at it continuously. Take my good pet, with good talents (Spinyfish, Nightmare, or Sea Dragon) and hatch with Frog. Every single time, I get a lousier version of the good pet, not a better version of my Frog. I have enough fish to open a fish farm (or maybe a seafood restaurant). I have cute little prancing horses and goofy, smiley Sea Dragons all over the place. It's like the Island of Misfit Pets. Not once have I gotten a Frog. Of any kind--talented or untalented. And yes, I do the hatching with my Myth, so she can equip the Frog. Is it possible to improve school pets? Or do you just get another, lesser version of the other one? Because every hatch has resulted in a diminished, not improved pet. And between the monotonous farming (Halfang and I are rather too well-acquainted now) the more monotonous training to adult (this is when I abandon most of these failed hatches), and the sheer disappointment of yet another fish-horse-dragon, I think it's time to give up. Maybe go back to crafting. If only we could craft the pet we want....sigh.

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
I understand your frustrations. I believe what pet you get and what talents are random (in most cases). I got very lucky with my Phoenix, I did only one hatching with one of my Sea dragons and got (what I consider) a decent Phoenix.

I like the spell card better on the Helephant than the Phoenix so I have been trying to get a decent Helephant, currently on hatching number 10.

I have been trying very unsuccessfully to get a decent Forest Lord for another character and am on something like hatching number 40 with no luck... haven't been able to even get Spritely on a Forest Lord pet yet.

And I am hatching and training for 2 other characters.

I go a few days of training for what seems like hours (I hate training) and then get sick of it and stop for a few days.

I really hope KI comes up with a Pet Trainer

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Oh it is very possible to improve school based pets...

I have a scarecrow pet, with spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and may cast death blade!

I have a Humongofrog pet, with spell proof, spritely, pierce train, and may cast myth blade!

I don't like the Forest Lord pet at all... Nor do I care for Storms or Fires...

I have an Ice Wyvern, with spell proof, spritely, sharp shot, and may cast ice blade...

I have a tempest hound, with spell proof, spell defy, sharp shot, and pain giver, just wish it got spritely also, but not every pet can be perfect...

Just keep trying!

Champion
May 03, 2011
Well, that is encouraging--at least I know such a thing is possible, even if it takes a long time. May I ask some advice from those of you who have gotten these awesome school pets? Did you first get all your talents into one other pet, then keep hatching with the school pet, or did you get a "better" school pet and then keep hatching to improve it, i.e., add specific talents? I suspect the former would be a better strategy, but I'm not sure...

And to darthjt--do you mind if I ask how long--I mean about how many (failed) hatches--it took to get the school pet you wanted? Approximately, I mean. I realize it's random, but I'm looking for an "on average" number here. I suspect you may have more time to devote to this than I do...if the average number of hatches from pet A (mediocre Frog) to pet Z (really good Frog) is like 20 or so, I think that giving up makes more sense for me...maybe I'll open that fish restaurant, instead :?

Thanks for any advice and/or input.

Tabitha

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Hmm, while we are on the subject of pet hatching and talents and for that matter spells.

Is it possible for me to hatch my humungofrog pet with a mooshu pet like the goat, have a goat hatch but carry over the actual humungofrog spell too? That would be fantastic.

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
CorbinW wrote:
Hmm, while we are on the subject of pet hatching and talents and for that matter spells.

Is it possible for me to hatch my humungofrog pet with a mooshu pet like the goat, have a goat hatch but carry over the actual humungofrog spell too? That would be fantastic.

No. The spell that comes with a pet stays with that type of pet.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
@Tabby

Well, it does help to have the talents you want on one pet and then hatch that pet with your HumongoFrog...

My Wyvern took 1 try to get the specific talents, I got lucky!
The HumongoFrog took 4 tries

There is no set limit, it is luck of the draw and a little bit of knowing what you are doing... Some pets have dominant traits that the pet likes to pass, my advice, is to find a pet that passes the specific talent you want and use that with your humongofrog...

Also, change up your hatching style, have 1 pet first, then the other... Change it up...

@CorbinW

I wish there was a way to pass card talents to a different pet... Why I have suggested pet stitching so many times... I don't think some people quite understand this idea (concept). I want a pet to look the way I want, have the card I want, and the talents I want... Is that too much to ask if I do all the work and pay a little bit in crowns to change the appearance of the pet?

Champion
May 03, 2011
Well, my fish population has increased by two. I believe I may open an aquarium, with a fish restaurant attached. :? I shall try the switching thing, and see if that helps. But it seems I am luckless as far as hatching goes. :( I read somewhere that you have a 50% chance of getting one pet or the other, which makes sense if it's truly random. But I think the algorithm is set up to make it more like a 10% chance of improving your lesser pet, and a 90% chance of getting a weaker (and therefore useless) version of the "good" pet.

Of course I have no proof, just my own hatching misfortunes to go on here. *Sigh*

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
darthjt wrote:

I wish there was a way to pass card talents to a different pet... Why I have suggested pet stitching so many times... I don't think some people quite understand this idea (concept). I want a pet to look the way I want, have the card I want, and the talents I want... Is that too much to ask if I do all the work and pay a little bit in crowns to change the appearance of the pet?

I like this idea. I don't do PvP so I am not sure how those kind of players would feel about this idea.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I wanted to offer an update on my hatching adventures. First, I decided to give the whole thing one more week of trying. I hatched about five more pets. And today, about a week and a half after posting this thread, I finally have...a Humongofrog with Spritely and Spell Proof! So it is possible.

First, thanks to the person who suggested I alter the order of my pets in the hatchery. That seemed to do the trick, and I started getting frogs instead of fish and dragons every time. Here is, roughly, how it went: I started with a mediocre Frog with Myth Blade, Myth Giver, Myth Trap and (ugh) Mana Gift. I had a Spinyfish with Spell Proof and Spritely. I hatched this fish with a Sea Dragon, because Dragons tend to get universal talents instead of school-specific ones. The Dragon got Spritely at adult. I stopped training there, because I hate pet games :? I decided to take my chances, so I hatched this Dragon with my Frog and got a Frog! But...I trained Frog # 2 to Ancient, and it only had the same talents as 1st gen. Frog--although no Mana Gift so far, thankfully. I decided to hatch again using the 2nd gen. Frog and the same Sea Dragon with Spritely. And then, ta-da! Gigi, my final Frog, was hatched. She got Spritely at Ancient and Spell Proof at Epic. She still has Myth Giver, which is the original frog's best talent, and Myth Blade (which is pretty worthless, since they almost never cast it except when the battle's over). But she is a pretty good pet, and I am satisfied.

Thanks for the encouragement, fellow wizards. I'm glad I didn't give up after all. :D

Tabitha