Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What The Heckhound?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
Heckhound.

Gotta love him

There is no doubt in my mind heckhound is one of the most debated spells on this forum, trailing just behind talos and judgement, (even though the talos issue has been resoloved). In case you didn't know, heckhound is a fire spell that does 120 damage per pip, and does damage over a period of 3 rounds.
I am going to share my opinion about this spell.

Some people consider this the best spell in the game.

Some people hate it with a passion.

Me? Eh.

It more or less depends. I am kind of neutral on it in general. However, I will say something about this spell. This is one of those spells that is an inescapable death if casted by a legendary with a blade or two, a critical, and about 7-9 pips. If it gets uber boosted to that point and sucessfully hits you, it's time to throw in the towel, no questions asked, no point in fighting back.

I'm serious.

At that kind of level, I am pretty sure you don't even need the blades, however most people do it, just to add insult to injury :?

It's actually pretty sad, because I have witnessed PvP matches where a fire pulls this kind of thing off in a 1v1, and even a life or ice wizard can't fend it off. Like I said, inescapable death trap.
As I stated before, I am pretty neutral about this, primarily because it doesn't happen enougto me for me to feel it's unbalenced or overpowered. Also I am in NO way saying this should be changed or redone. We wouldn't want a repeat of the wild bolt incident, would we?

To people having toruble with others doing this to them, I offer you one strategy.

DON'T let them build up that many pips. Keep attacking. And if you think you should stop, just keep attacking. Pull out all the stops, do whatever you have to do, use treasures if needed, just no matter what, don't let them build the pips. Force them to heal so they can't. If you have to heal, fine do it, but they are one step closer to that heckhound. Thats really all I can give you.

I want to see how you, the wizards of the Ravenwood school of magical arts, feel about this spell.

Happy Spellcasting Everyone!

Mason Silvergrove, Legendary Life

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
With life amulet, If me and fire are loaded on pips, if hound is cast I just satry through a full blast hound. Twice if all my shields are eaten off. So that 2000+ skin burn becomes a mere 800 damage. Since the fire is now empty on pips I try to push back offensively before healing again. Dont be scared of the hound. Be scared of being defenseless.

I admit though, I hate critical hound.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
lucara wrote:
Well, they could always use triage...

Well yes, they COULD use traige...
but lets go a bit more in depth.

The average wizard wouldn't bother to complete grizzlehiem due to it's low xp rewards. If one actually did, they could go to wintertusk to either get the amulet, or get the card. Most legendaries have decks that let them hold 60 cards or more. I doubt they would put in over 3 or 4 of them, as other spells are just way to important to be sacrificed by traige. Now time for some math. if you put in 4 traige cards in a 60 card deck, you have a 2/15 %chance to pull a traige. Good luck finding one when you need it with those odds.

Lets say you decide to buy a lot of treasures for the fight. You fill up all the slots with triage. If you go second in the match, you will most likely lose, as the damage is done before you even cast a spell. So this is two rounds of firehound damage, which is basically all that is needed to finish the game. If you go first, and use traige, lucky you, but you will still use the pips need to cast traige AND the pips need to heal.

I really didn't consider traige a "Practical" option unless you KNOW you will get it the round directly after you are inflicted with burn, have the necessary pips, and are going first. 8)

~Mason Silvergrove, Legendary Life

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
cort1cool wrote:
Heckhound.

Gotta love him

There is no doubt in my mind heckhound is one of the most debated spells on this forum, trailing just behind talos and judgement, (even though the talos issue has been resoloved). In case you didn't know, heckhound is a fire spell that does 120 damage per pip, and does damage over a period of 3 rounds.

Me? Eh.

It more or less depends. I am kind of neutral on it in general. However, I will say something about this spell. This is one of those spells that is an inescapable death if casted by a legendary with a blade or two, a critical, and about 7-9 pips. If it gets uber boosted to that point and sucessfully hits you, it's time to throw in the towel, no questions asked, no point in fighting back.

I'm serious.

At that kind of level, I am pretty sure you don't even need the blades, however most people do it, just to add insult to injury :?

It's actually pretty sad, because I have witnessed PvP matches where a fire pulls this kind of thing off in a 1v1, and even a life or ice wizard can't fend it off. Like I said, inescapable death trap.
As I stated before, I am pretty neutral about this, primarily because it doesn't happen enougto me for me to feel it's unbalenced or overpowered. Also I am in NO way saying this should be changed or redone. We wouldn't want a repeat of the wild bolt incident, would we?

To people having toruble with others doing this to them, I offer you one strategy.

DON'T let them build up that many pips. Keep attacking. And if you think you should stop, just keep attacking. Pull out all the stops, do whatever you have to do, use treasures if needed, just no matter what, don't let them build the pips. Force them to heal so they can't. If you have to heal, fine do it, but they are one step closer to that heckhound. Thats really all I can give you.

I want to see how you, the wizards of the Ravenwood school of magical arts, feel about this spell.

Heckhound isn't really an overpowered spell, or one that needs to be changed. It's a fair spell, and there's always an option of weakness, shielding multiple times, fortify, and if you have resist, it's all good. I find that every spell is good right now, except for levy taking out 2 blades.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
Well, in my opinion, only a non-skilled PvP Player wouldn't assume that a Fire would use Heckhound at the time when it is obvious. Like this one time, I knew that the Pyromancer would use it (and he was going first), so i pulled out a triage treasure and used it. I also had a shield up, so that first attack didn't do that much damage, and the rest was gone.
Btw: Triage costs 0 pips

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
cort1cool wrote:
Heckhound.

Gotta love him

Me? Eh.

I'm serious.

You probably don't like the spell, but at least you don't keep making post after post saying the spell should be weakend or that your school is underpowered like some people we know. If only people did this with efreet and other spells. If everyone acted the way you did PvP would get to a much better state.

Aaron Drakewalker Legendary