Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

later levels, luck controls the battlefield

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 13, 2011
i was fighting in sultans palace against a legendary (im legend too) and i thought it was unfair. why? cause he begun first, shielded an attack so mine hit low which was supposed to hit high, then he critical satyr which got him to full health then critical storm lord to kill me. if that happened to me, i would win. he kept saying skill, but i knew it was luck. dont call me bad loser or say i need better gear. now that guy has the right to talk down on me and brag about how powerful he is. in the legend battles, luck is the part that decides which team will win, i dont like that. comments are welcome, just make them constructive

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Mastermind
May 13, 2011
Solstice64 wrote:
I think there is too much luck involved in pvp.

are you serious or ironic?

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
marolin23 wrote:
i was fighting in sultans palace against a legendary (im legend too) and i thought it was unfair. why? cause he begun first, shielded an attack so mine hit low which was supposed to hit high, then he critical satyr which got him to full health then critical storm lord to kill me. if that happened to me, i would win. he kept saying skill, but i knew it was luck. dont call me bad loser or say i need better gear. now that guy has the right to talk down on me and brag about how powerful he is. in the legend battles, luck is the part that decides which team will win, i dont like that. comments are welcome, just make them constructive

Luck is all pvp has to give now, ever since critical, pvp got unbalanced. The spells got so powerful that they gave resist to all schools. Now luck goes with: Spell works, spell hits the most it can do, critical, critical block, going first. Pvp is the game of luck now.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
marolin23 wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:

If I said it, it would be serious, there is too much luck like:
-Fizzles
-Going First/ last
-What your minion does
-What your opponents going to use next
-Critical
-Stun Block
-Pet "May Casts"
-And more

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Really? Luck plays a role? Then maybe you can explain how I win on a 10 to 1 ratio? I am not lucky by an means, my luck is bad luck...

For example, my luck usually means, I go second.

No, sorry, but for all of you that say, PvP is all about luck, I say your strategy needs a revamp!

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Really? Luck plays a role? Then maybe you can explain how I win on a 10 to 1 ratio? I am not lucky by an means, my luck is bad luck...

No, sorry, but for all of you that say, PvP is all about luck, I say your strategy needs a revamp!

Luck does play a role. Not a main role. But it has become more random than before in certain ways.

To me, turn order isn't the true deciding factor of a match so I won't bother mentioning the times I have gone second.

I'm facing a fire, my block is 78, I put up a conviction, he has no vengeance on, hits with heckhound, the critical still goes through. I lose.

I face a life and I have more block than she has critical attack, her seraph goes critical and still goes through. I won this fight anyway

I am facing a myth with 62% resist! I hit him with critical 4 times. twice in a row. Twice I brought his health down to just 300 points and below. But he manages to heal back up, and win the fight.

I have all this fire power, and all these hard hitting tactics, yet I'm still finding myself having the win slip from under me. It was never this bad. Bad luck? Maybe. You can say that if you want.

How can I have 40% storm resist and still be hit by a plain bolt for 1500+ ?
Strategy or not, everything, damage, heals, etc, is all in the extremes now. As such, you need to be luckier than usual just to get by with a good streak.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Exactly like mine. I had more losses than wins!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
woot000 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Sorry Woot, you read that wrong... I have 10 wins to every 1 loss, not the other way around...

@Corbin, I never said luck plays no role, however, it does not by any means "Control the Battlefield"

Even in your examples, you stated specifically, what some people are doing to help them defeat you... A myth, with 62% resistance... WOW, nice... And a heal goes a very long way with that much resistance...

Wild Bolt, is luck, I agree, with Gargantuan and Critical, can be quite deadly, however, it also can hit for very little and waste those pips...

Insane Bolt, also is one of those spells, it can hurt you, or kill the caster!

Luck does play a role and occasionally, decide a match, but for the most part, it is the player and the skill of said player that determines the outcome!

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:
woot000 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

@Corbin, I never said luck plays no role, however, it does not by any means "Control the Battlefield"

A myth, with 62% resistance... WOW, nice... And a heal goes a very long way with that much resistance...

Wild Bolt, is luck, I agree, with Gargantuan and Critical, can be quite deadly, however, it also can hit for very little and waste those pips...

Insane Bolt, also is one of those spells, it can hurt you, or kill the caster!

Luck does play a role and occasionally, decide a match, but for the most part, it is the player and the skill of said player that determines the outcome!

I get you. The key word is "conotrol". I see. yeah it still doesn't control the battlefield, agreed.

I wish you could have seen my Talos during that myth fight. He is an incredible minion, really. I stunned the guy like 6 times throughout the fight. We (me and Talos) worked together so well and had our opponent running a lot of the fight. I guess because he had so much resist, the challenge was too exciting. I really wanted to overcome that. i was so close... Twice.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2010
marolin23 wrote:

Me and my dad had an idea to kingsisle about having EACH turn random. Like every turn you have a 50% chance of going first. Either that or it just alternates

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
darthjt wrote:

you may be right there, since i pvp so little i always have a deck more suited for pve and the gear isnt the best for pvp

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
marolin23 wrote:

Marolin23,

I gotta agree with Darthjt on this one, luck is a factor, but gear, deck construction, first turn advantage and experience is the key to winning in PvP.
Everyone complains on Criticals, but the new wands took care of that issue.
In my last battle (against a legendary Ice Warlord with 53% resist), only one critical hit me out of many. I won, even though I had few criticals in the match, just one or two. Those that are getting pounded with Criticals need to upgrade their gear.

Now we have the new world headed our way, and PvP will take a change in direction again. The ideas that worked before, may not work afterwards.

Also remember, those that brag the most, fall the hardest...... : )

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
I find there is something you can get that easily takes care of you opponent getting a critical.

Diego has a star spell for veterans, conviction I think, that makes it so that criticals and stuns only have a 90% chance to work on you. Given your opponents critical rating, it might still go through though. However, this one star spell can almost completely negate those nasty crits and/or stuns that you have trouble with.

Luck is indeed still a factor; but you just have to know the right spells to have in your deck and the right strategy to use to make luck mean a whole lot less.

Mastermind
Nov 04, 2010
scotttttttttt wrote:
marolin23 wrote:
Solstice64 wrote:

If I said it, it would be serious, there is too much luck like:
-Fizzles
-Going First/ last
-What your minion does
-What your opponents going to use next
-Critical
-Stun Block
-Pet "May Casts"
-And more
and the new game killer, armor peircing

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
its not luck. and btw have you ever heard of CRITICAL BLOCK?

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Garrett15141 wrote:
its not luck. and btw have you ever heard of CRITICAL BLOCK?
It's still luck. I was fighting with someone before waterworks who had the same critical and block as me. He blocked all mine and scored a lot for his it IS all luck which is exactly why I rarely pvp anymore.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2011
That is true.
Example: Two 35% fire blades, gargantuan and critical on a meteor strike (from me) = the end with 3000 damage to all.

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
It was bad luck you had, but it isn't always luck. Once, I killed a guy about ten levels over my Sultans Palace. He was easy to beat because he didn't heal and hardly attacked me. However, it sometimes is luck. Once, I was batleing a different guy above my level and I luckily critical judemented him causing my to win.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
darthjt wrote:

Then maybe you can explain how the heck you won that way. And I don't know if your even paying attention, they are both legendary, so how on earth can their strategy need a change? If the OP had gone first, HE could have shielded, HE could have criticaled on an heal, HE could have won with a critical spell. And luck? It's all over the place! Wether you block an critical or do a critical, wether you draw the right cards in your hand, wether you fizzle, wether your pet can do a "may cast".

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Fin3cy6 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Then maybe you can explain how the heck you won that way. And I don't know if your even paying attention, they are both legendary, so how on earth can their strategy need a change? If the OP had gone first, HE could have shielded, HE could have criticaled on an heal, HE could have won with a critical spell. And luck? It's all over the place! Wether you block an critical or do a critical, wether you draw the right cards in your hand, wether you fizzle, wether your pet can do a "may cast".

Fin,

I never said Luck did not play a role, what I said is, it does not control the battlefield. There are still ways to have a good strategy and minimize the luck factors. Even if that does mean, spending money...

If you have read the posts on PvP, I have suggested that Criticals be taken out of PvP, because that is the main Luck factor. Pvp is supposed to be about skill and strategy. Critical block is on a different scale as critical attack, so it does not matter what your points are for critical or what you points are for block, if you hit critical, you hit critical, if you fail the block, then you fail the block. Which is a luck factor, I have never said it wasn't.

I still firmly believe though, that it is possible to have a good strategy and win, even though some players can get lucky. I do hate to lose to luck, but if I didn't lose to some luck, then I would be flawless.

As for fizzle, I would rather have my pets with accuracy and never fizzle than some of the may cast spells. I hate to fizzle! We all have choices to make with pets, gear, and equipment, along with spells and secondary schools. We decide our own accuracy and fates. Luck plays a factor, but does not control the battlefield as the Op says!