Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Playing with passwords

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
So most of us know already never to give out passwords and usernames to our own accounts, etc. One thing that I always forget, should I report anyone asking for such info or just ignore them? I tell them that it is a reportable offense to use anothers password and such things shouldn't be asked for. So is merely asking for account information. a reportable offense? If so I'll be ready to report such behavior next time.

I wanted to share some small and fun safe password tips.

Make your passwords long. But make it something that you will remember best. What I like to do is take a specific word, like "pillow" and stretch out its length by changing certain letters into numbers, adding in extra characters between the word, but in a pattern I can remember. Example:

pillow becomes
P1?ll!15?w
Every two characters in the word pillow is separated by some type of other character. And some letters like the O has been changed into a number, O being the fifteenth letter becomes 15. I turned the I into 1 because they look similar, just like one might turn A into 4.This way the password is stretched but easy to remember for myself. How you divide the characters and stretch is up to you. But you shouldn't have passwords with less than 8 characters. Ever. Keep your stuff secure. And play with longer passwords, make them fun and secure.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Well, to be objective about it, you could have a 1-character password that nobody would ever guess, such as ™

Or mix it up...here's a 4-letter password that nobody will crack...

ÆôŠæ

But in general, yeah, the longer and more varied with the standard characters the better.

Explorer
Feb 03, 2011
CorbinW wrote:
So most of us know already never to give out passwords and usernames to our own accounts, etc. One thing that I always forget, should I report anyone asking for such info or just ignore them? I tell them that it is a reportable offense to use anothers password and such things shouldn't be asked for. So is merely asking for account information. a reportable offense? If so I'll be ready to report such behavior next time.

Make your passwords long. But make it something that you will remember best. What I like to do is take a specific word, like "pillow" and stretch out its length by changing certain letters into numbers, adding in extra characters between the word, but in a pattern I can remember. Example:

pillow becomes
P1?ll!15?w
Every two characters in the word pillow is separated by some type of other character. And some letters like the O has been changed into a number, O being the fifteenth letter becomes 15. I turned the I into 1 because they look similar, just like one might turn A into 4.This way the password is stretched but easy to remember for myself. How you divide the characters and stretch is up to you. But you shouldn't have passwords with less than 8 characters. Ever. Keep your stuff secure. And play with longer passwords, make them fun and secure.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Asking for account info is a BIG no no. Definitlye report these people, since this crime is punishable by permanent expulsion from RavenWood Schools of Magical Arts.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2011
Squire
Dec 21, 2008
You definitely need to report anyone who asks for that info. You never know what could happen when they have it.

Caroline Sunbright level 60 life

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Hawk337 wrote:
CorbinW wrote:

pillow becomes
P1?ll!15?w

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
ya me neather :[

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Ok for those having trouble understanding;

Just don't be lazy about your passwords and come up with a complicated one that only you can know about for sure.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2011
You would probably want to report them mainly because they could just as easily ban you