Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

let's change the rules..

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
It hit me a while ago, but I have been hesitating posting this idea since it might just fall in limbo.
Then again, "force yourself to ask, you might surprise yourself getting an answer" said somebody.

Well we all agree, I think, that today whoever goes first in a PVP has an advantage.

I was thinking about a way to eliminate this. The idea is very simple: instead of making round made of two actions, where

Start: 30 seconds delay
Player A select a spell
Player B select a spell
Player A uses his spell
Player B uses his spell (if he survives)
End.
Start next round: 30 seconds delay
We could have PVP consisting of one action rounds.
This is how it would work:

First round would be exactly the same as it is today (see above). Both players are full health and have up to two power pips.
once this round is over, and for the rest of the battle, rounds would work as this:

Start: 20 seconds delay
Player A select a spell
Player A uses his spell
20 seconds delay
Player B select a spell
Player B uses his spell
... Repeat.

The big difference is that in this way both players can see what the opponent did *before* they select their spell (which is now only a privilege of player A). There would be no more second, in short, and everyone would have the chance to counter previous action (today player A can, but not player B).

The delay in my idea is reduced to 20 seconds to shorten dead times.

Of course, it would be even easier if one could select his spell while the other attacks, for example by having his deck open at the bottom of the screen all along instead of having it in the middle as it is today.

Any thoughts?

Defender
Jun 14, 2010

Hey,

I think that's a pretty cool, and interesting idea. :-)

If I understand you correctly, what you mean is:
Let's say you and I were doing a 1v1.
I get to go first.
I cast a shield of your school,
then instead of you wasting an attack on that shield, you have 20 seconds to decide on an alternate spell?

Is that what you're saying?
If so, you may be onto something here.. hmm

In a way, this is also a lot more realistic.
Lets say we were dueling in real life (um and we had powers)
If you threw up a shield, I wouldnt waste my magick on that.
I would use my brain, and adapt to the situation before I made my move.
Yes, this makes sense.

I would love to see this idea happen, in some sort of BETA, so we can all try it out and come to a majority decision.
It would change the whole current dynamic of PvP.

Good luck with this idea, I hope it gets noticed.

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
elvinlith wrote:

Well we all agree, I think, that today whoever goes first in a PVP has an advantage.
Any thoughts?

I prefer going second. I usually have a much greater advantage than when I go first.

I would like to see it be a lot more random than it is.

And I'd love to see KI get rid of the bug that allows people who are dancing during countdown to go first most of the time.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I say remove the first turn advantage completely, have both Wizards select, and both attack at the same time. This game is based on over-lays, so it would be easy to do. It would also shorten the duel considerable, and
put both players on a much more even game.

This way, the damage is done to both Wizards at the same time, and if both go into a Wobble head state, it's a tie.
This also eliminates the person going first, having a huge advantage of not being blind like the second player is.

If wanted, it could show each attack separately, and then show the damage at the same time. First turn advantage would be gone, and it would make PvP a lot more fun.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter, Ice, Balance, Death, Storm Legendary, with Myth on the edge.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
It's my personal opinion that it would be hard to change PvP without changing PvE too. PvP is an important and integral aspect of the game, but we risk affecting the rest of the game too. It is also my opinion that PvP works ok the way it is, idk how i would feel about a major change like that. Might write in later after i think about it for a while.

Cya in the Spiral,
Paul Stormglade, Level 60 Diviner, PvP Sergeant

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
Loki: yes, that is pretty much it, in a nutshell.

Tanda: second has a few advantages, but first gets the chance to double hit without the other getting any chance to decide consequently in between, and that is a real issue.

Lion:
Lion359 wrote:
I say remove the first turn advantage completely, have both Wizards select, and both attack at the same time. This game is based on over-lays, so it would be easy to do. It would also shorten the duel considerable, and
put both players on a much more even game.

If you think about it for a moment it goes down to the same idea, applied differently.
Because you are thinking hit, i think global moves: for example, a shield: if cast together with an attack, will it block or not? If it does, it is pretty much down to the same as now for the first player (and attacker becomes second automatically).

If it doesn't, that means that defender goes second automatically during the round. It also means that if after the first attack you need to shield, you lost automatically.

The difference between this and my idea is that I allow both players to take the advantage when it is their turn to move. Your version requires more tactical thinking about opponent's move, and well, it is definitely interesting for advanced players, but remember the mass is not "advanced" at all and run away from PvP.. So let's stay basic :P

Bionaknight: If it was about making moves simultaneously, i would agree with you it might require a deeper rebuild. But in the method i described, it is very easy to just change PVP, and leave PvE as it is.
It's just a matter of putting a pause in between two actions, and eventually reducing the timer. And as you can see with the stun shields, it is possible to have things work differently on one kind of fight without affecting the other :)