Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointed in new hawk mount

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
The advertising for this mount makes it seem like we're finally going to get to fly above the city, instead of just skimming along on the ground.

We don't

Granted, the mount is a LITTLE higher off the ground - so that my character's head runs into doors and other low hanging objects, but it's still skimming above the ground.

And the camera angle itself doesn't change - so instead of looking at myself from the back at about shoulder height, i'm looking at myself from the back at about mid-thigh.

I seriously hope some day that KI gives us a mount that puts us up into the sky so we can fly over the tops of the buildings, along with the ability to take off and land - like things with wings actually DO.

And at the same time, moves the camera so we can look down at the city or countryside that our characters are flying across.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
oh that would be wonderful
and would probably be the best selling mount
KI had ever made
lol can you see 20 million people buying the bundle
with that mount in it?

Survivor
Aug 12, 2011
Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Ah, I can see why the popularity of WoW's flying mounts catches on ...

It is a most beautiful thing to be able to do, but I think enabling flying mounts to fly in the air in a similiar fashion requires a lot more additional programming. A lot more.

It took massive updates in WoW to patch/update the game and make it ready for flying mounts, and it even resulted in an entire digital overhaul. Making me think that there needs to be a lot of maintenance time to just get it all set up and done.

But I can definitely see something like that possibly happening in Wiz101's future.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
I would so totally buy it. Even if it were 100$. KI must make this.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
Delver
Sep 22, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
The advertising for this mount makes it seem like we're finally going to get to fly above the city, instead of just skimming along on the ground.

We don't

Granted, the mount is a LITTLE higher off the ground - so that my character's head runs into doors and other low hanging objects, but it's still skimming above the ground.

And the camera angle itself doesn't change - so instead of looking at myself from the back at about shoulder height, i'm looking at myself from the back at about mid-thigh.

I seriously hope some day that KI gives us a mount that puts us up into the sky so we can fly over the tops of the buildings, along with the ability to take off and land - like things with wings actually DO.

And at the same time, moves the camera so we can look down at the city or countryside that our characters are flying across.

....Ok you would still have to land to go through the tunnels to get to other parts of the city and differrent worlds....

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
hobi wrote:

lol can you see 20 million people buying the bundle
with that mount in it?

yup. and probably more than 20 million as people might want to buy several bundles just so they had that mount for all their wizards.

Won't happen though unless KI gets a clue and puts winged things into the sky where winged things belong.

You could have a whole set of adventures and quests up in the sky, with places you had to fly to on the winged or flying mounts - completely optional so that if you didn't HAVE the mount you didn't HAVE to go buy one.

Can you imagine a battle in the sky with birds, and harpies, and people with wings or flying mounts?

you'd be in a sphere, not just a flat circle with attacks going up and down and around. would be awesome.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
The artwork could be better on the Hawk mount also. The gear needs a L60 option.

I went to gamestop looking for the Super Bundle and the guy asked if I was looking for the "Limited Edition Holiday Bundle" and said they should have them next week.

Even more new bundles?

Survivor
Dec 11, 2009
Oh yea. I agree. Also, it would be awesome if it was two person, and the second person was being held in the hawk's talons! :-P :-P

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Totally agree. Dropped the $29 to get this only for the mount alone based on the description. What a complete let down. I have never complained or had a single issue with any of the decisions that KI has made regarding this game and I spend $60 on crowns about every two months. I don't mind paying for addons or crowns at all, but I do mind being misled and receiving such a poorly implemented addon.

At the bare minimum, at least please fix the camera angle.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
dragonpower333 wrote:
Ok you would still have to land to go through the tunnels to get to other parts of the city and differrent worlds....

So what? And maybe you wouldn't have to land to go through tunnels. What's wrong with flying OVER them?

yeah, you'd have to land to go into the world tree, but maybe you could land on a platform in Bartleby's branches, and take an elevator down, or find a world gate up in the branches at the platform. A world gate with options to go places you couldn't get to from the world gate down in his trunk.

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
CFDaddy wrote:
Totally agree. Dropped the $29 to get this only for the mount alone based on the description. What a complete let down. I have never complained or had a single issue with any of the decisions that KI has made regarding this game and I spend $60 on crowns about every two months. I don't mind paying for addons or crowns at all, but I do mind being misled and receiving such a poorly implemented addon.

At the bare minimum, at least please fix the camera angle.

I am disappointed as well, being that I've had to dismount many times in DS in crystal coves to keep from running into a spider. Cant see reagents at all on this mount because the wings seem to block the view of almost everything. I'm considering taking back my ram mount from my lvl one student and giving her the hawk because I need to be able to see where i'm going in higher lvl areas and need to be able to see reagents for crafting. Legend or not, I dont want to be pulled into a battle I dont want to or need to fight because I couldnt see where I was going :( :( :( I'm not even taking it to CL at all
However, the tapestry port to the bazaar is cool. We should be able to craft this item... please :) I hate to travel to the bazaar and back when I have excess items in my backpack, my bank and my shared bank lol.
Taryn RavenHeart

**Yea! Black panther mount added and on sale cheap! Sorry but the hawk will now be flying around at my death house. It's a shame, he glides nicely but when trying to quest he is just not functional as you cant see appropriately, so panther mount it is, so happy. Would get the pegasus but too expensive, but at least you can see things normally on the pegasus that you cant on the hawk. :(

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
This would mean a lot of work on KI's part. It would be cool if it could happen, but I'd rather have another world and an increased level cap come sooner.

Explorer
Nov 15, 2008
dragonpower333 wrote:
Ok you would still have to land to go through the tunnels to get to other parts of the city and differrent worlds....

So what? And maybe you wouldn't have to land to go through tunnels. What's wrong with flying OVER them?

yeah, you'd have to land to go into the world tree, but maybe you could land on a platform in Bartleby's branches, and take an elevator down, or find a world gate up in the branches at the platform. A world gate with options to go places you couldn't get to from the world gate down in his trunk.

Yes that would be cool, but remember, this is Wizard101, not the real life.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
So about this, if you need to go in to somewhere, portals in the sky will pop up with the strret name abiove it so you can fly in, and go through the tunnel under you

Survivor
Sep 07, 2010
I think there were good ideas put out here..like...
(Quote..
You could have a whole set of adventures and quests up in the sky, with places you had to fly to on the winged or flying mounts - completely optional so that if you didn't HAVE the mount you didn't HAVE to go buy one.
Can you imagine a battle in the sky with birds, and harpies, and people with wings or flying mounts? )
end quote

lvl 60 mounts that can do sky battle. If it were built as another room but the floor sees through to the lands below and those below can see battles above through the clear floor above. A sky ramp through a cloud to enter and exit the sky level so it would feel like flying back to the ground level. Might fit in better to there current room structure which is already developed.
That said, the hawks look cool to us on the ground!

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I think it should be for all flying mounts from bundles including the soon to be retired epic bundle if the new land mounts can carry two people flying ones should be able to fly high or low if they choose or over gaps that other mount couldn't.( for land mounts,low fliers,or walkers there would be a path. oh and you would have to land to go to diffrent parts of wizard city and open chat ect. ect ect.

Chase swifthand
lvl 50 grandmaster pyromancer

Defender
Sep 05, 2010

We don't

Terrible idea.

1. How would you be able to see what those people above and below ground are saying?

2. How will you be able to get into different parts of Wizard101?

Ex : I am in old town and i want to go into fire cat alley, but wait I am to high up to even get in.

3. It would be glitchy in many ways.

4. When you are on the streets, wanting to get in a battle, it will be hard to see where you are.

5. When you are on the streets, NOT wanting to get in a battle, it will be hard to see where you are, and you will most likely get caught into many battles.

6. It is very unrealistic when you press "X" to talk to someone, and you are over 25 feet above them.

Defender
Jul 06, 2010
Sigh ok, this will never happen because (as mentioned WoW had to do a total digital verhaul to acomplish it) Wizards is not a fully 3-D world. Getting that far into the sky will show the illusion behind the magic.
Take old town for instance, on a mount where you could really see over the wall, you would find that the top of bartleby would be all there is to see, the rest of him isn't there, just the top, and open sky behind the wall.
The top is just floating at the right hight to give the illusion that the tree is there.
Mounts that flew high enough to show this would be (in some cases) devistatingly disappointing to the wizards. "You mean Bartleby isn't real?" :(
It's like pulling the beard off a drug store santa in front of your kid at Christmas. It will ruin the magic.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2010
The point here, the OP's point, is that the advertising is misleading. Buyer beware - KI is NOTED for being dishonest in their advertising. Consider their so-called "Wyvern Hoard pack" with a "chance" of getting the epic mount. After over a hundred attempts, no mount was forthcoming. KI's response? "Consider the value of what you did get" (100 copies of a tapestry), and "Sorry, we don't give refunds."

If anyone hasn't already purchased this new bundle, DON'T. It's just theft. The mount, as already mentioned, doesn't fly high at all, and all the great ideas on this thread aside, the reality is that KI is once again engaging in misleading advertising to get more money out of us.

VERY disappointing.

Defender
May 17, 2011
i think that kingsile should listen up. why don't they edit the wings and hawk mounts so we can do things that we are supposed to do. i have it all planned out:
*wyvern should not be able to do this as wyverns are non-flightfull in all the myths
*you should be able to fly higher by pressing w to go higher (press it 8 times, you go 8 times as high!) though you should not be able to do this over 15 times. maybe 10. make sure that you are not typing when you do this!
*the camera should be positioned so you are looking at the back of your charectors head.
*you should be able to fly lower by pressing s. do it 7 times, you go 7 times as low. you do not go past the ground. make sure that you are not typing!
*you must go lower in order to get though tunnels and such
*you land by pressing w until you cannot go lower.
*when you dismount, your wizard shall skydive of float slowly down, and you will not be able to move while doing this.
*when you enter a duel, your mount leaves and you just skydive down to the ground and run into the duel circle.
*when you fly above monsters, you will not hit them unless you brush their heads or fly through them or touch them or get close to touching their heads.
* when you dismount over a rooftop, you float or skydive past it.
*i know that this would take a while to program in, but you should edit mounts people already own. that was for kingsile.
see, kingsile? i have done research on this topic. please respond to this post, and at least think about it. my friend quit playing (and paying for) wizard101 because of it. i do not blame her. thank you kingsile! why not stick it in the test realm?
PS: you rule, kingsile. just so you know.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
The only problem I would see with this is that you could fly over street monsters, or in Malistare's dungeon, it's 2 stories but you need to got through a path, but with this mount you would be able to skip that part, over the monsters to the gate. The only thing I would like on this mount, would be the camera angle to be normal, so it would look like any other mount you're riding, not way below.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2010
FleurDeMort wrote:
Sigh ok, this will never happen because (as mentioned WoW had to do a total digital verhaul to acomplish it) Wizards is not a fully 3-D world. Getting that far into the sky will show the illusion behind the magic.
Take old town for instance, on a mount where you could really see over the wall, you would find that the top of bartleby would be all there is to see, the rest of him isn't there, just the top, and open sky behind the wall.
The top is just floating at the right hight to give the illusion that the tree is there.
Mounts that flew high enough to show this would be (in some cases) devistatingly disappointing to the wizards. "You mean Bartleby isn't real?" :(
It's like pulling the beard off a drug store santa in front of your kid at Christmas. It will ruin the magic.

nicely said!

Defender
May 17, 2011
EvanJadepetal wrote:

We don't

Terrible idea.

1. How would you be able to see what those people above and below ground are saying?

2. How will you be able to get into different parts of Wizard101?

Ex : I am in old town and i want to go into fire cat alley, but wait I am to high up to even get in.

3. It would be glitchy in many ways.

4. When you are on the streets, wanting to get in a battle, it will be hard to see where you are.

5. When you are on the streets, NOT wanting to get in a battle, it will be hard to see where you are, and you will most likely get caught into many battles.

6. It is very unrealistic when you press "X" to talk to someone, and you are over 25 feet above them.
1. there is a big box above your chat window. read what people are saying from it. 2. just jump as when you jump on that thing it goes lower or just fly lower. 3. stick it in the test realm. wont solve everything but glitches never stopped dragonspyre,, right? 4. well, cant you just jump or turn a tiny bit? 5. why would you be on the street instead of off of it on the sidewalks? or edges? 6. wizard101 is as far as it can go from realistic. this will not be a huge issue if they do this.

wow, thanks for making me think of all this.