Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance goes underpowered

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Title says it all. Balance is going underpowered, and you know how Balance is supposed to do more damage then life, ice, and death? That all changed with the new spells. I know that snow angel causes a taunt, but that's useless in pvp. Skeletal dragon is WAY stronger then ra, and with the enraged forest lord pet, life can do much more damage then Balance. Also, Balance doesn't critical as often as many of the other schools, and even the elemental and spirit shields aren't enough. Also, I don't find it very often that I critical block. Storm and Fire are overpowered too, but that's a different topic. Balance has become the weakest in damage out of all the schools. Much less Balance wizards even has less health then ice, and less resist, and yet, Ice does more damage. Yes, this message is more directed in pvp, but I think that Balance should get a stronger spell then ra. Balance used to be the dominant school for me, but now it's the dominATED school. Sure, I win still, but I just think that Balance is weaker. Balance is supposed to do more then Life, Death, and Ice. At one point myth. That's all I want right now, for Balance to do more then Death, Life, and Ice again.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
You think balance is underpowered?
If you haven't noticed Death is the school that got hit the hardest when
Waterworks came out. Skeletal dragon is weak now due to resist and
triage.
I want to 1v1, but all kingsisle gave death was support spells useful in only
2v2 and higher.

At least balance has 3 attack all spells. Death has only 1.

So if you are complaining that balance does less than death, you are completely wrong.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Yeah, I agree, balance is weak... But so is storm, fire, death, life, myth, and especially ice...

I know, let's create a new spell called nuclear blast, that destroys everyone, regardless of shields... It can be for 1 pip and do 1 zillion moon damage....

That would make this game so much more fun!

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
Title says it all. Balance is going underpowered, and you know how Balance is supposed to do more damage then life, ice, and death? That all changed with the new spells. I know that snow angel causes a taunt, but that's useless in pvp. Skeletal dragon is WAY stronger then ra, and with the enraged forest lord pet, life can do much more damage then Balance. Also, Balance doesn't critical as often as many of the other schools, and even the elemental and spirit shields aren't enough. Also, I don't find it very often that I critical block. Storm and Fire are overpowered too, but that's a different topic. Balance has become the weakest in damage out of all the schools. Much less Balance wizards even has less health then ice, and less resist, and yet, Ice does more damage. Yes, this message is more directed in pvp, but I think that Balance should get a stronger spell then ra. Balance used to be the dominant school for me, but now it's the dominATED school. Sure, I win still, but I just think that Balance is weaker. Balance is supposed to do more then Life, Death, and Ice. At one point myth. That's all I want right now, for Balance to do more then Death, Life, and Ice again.

Ice has been nerfed enough! Didn't you just say you could still win? If you can still win then it is not underpowered!

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
kevinhuynh2 wrote:
You think balance is underpowered?
If you haven't noticed Death is the school that got hit the hardest when
Waterworks came out. Skeletal dragon is weak now due to resist and
triage.
I want to 1v1, but all kingsisle gave death was support spells useful in only
2v2 and higher.

At least balance has 3 attack all spells. Death has only 1.

So if you are complaining that balance does less than death, you are completely wrong.

Then it's your gear. Get the waterworks gear and lexicon blade and there you go, 70% damage boost.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Yeah, I agree, balance is weak... But so is storm, fire, death, life, myth, and especially ice...

I know, let's create a new spell called nuclear blast, that destroys everyone, regardless of shields... It can be for 1 pip and do 1 zillion moon damage....

That would make this game so much more fun!

Sarcasm or what

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
Well, I have a Commander Balance and am a little tired of hearing how little power Balance has. True, I would like a little more power in the school as well but I also enjoy beating wizards who are supposed to have more power than me.

Are you making good use of all our gadgets? I have recently discovered that Elemental and Spirit Defuses are a huge boon in PvP. Think about it, with the Spirit at least you are dispelling your opponents ability to do three things at once: Infect, Heal, and Pierce/Shatter. And that's not even getting into the damage or considering if you are dueling a Life/Myth Death yet. I can shut a Myth wizard down pretty effectively with that Spirit Defuse. In order to Heal Infect or Shatter again they must spend three turns BLOWING 0 pip spells (assuming they even HAVE the ability in their hand to blow em for free) getting the dispels off. Cast it with five power pips and the next turn you can hydra/spectral blast. Ask yourself this question: Do the majority of PvPers carry free to use Life and/or Myth spells in their deck? With a Myth Mastery Amulet user, you have also shut off the quake.

The Elemental Defuse usually means at some point your opponent has to blow a tower and/or volcanic shield (because honestly what other free pip Ice spells do the majority of PvPers keep in their deck?) and oh by the way it shuts down, for a turn, the damage output of the top 2 damage schools in the game.

I know the problem with the Defuses is they seem very pip costly and they are, kind of. However, the pip war doesnt always translate into the Real War. If you have one power pip and your opponent has a full rack of pips but every single school in the game is dispelled swirling around their head, honestly, what good are those pips for the time being?

Am I saying spam Element and Spirit Defuse and that will win you every game? No. You gotta learn how and when to use them. Before/after you hit Before/after your opponent has spammed a lot of their tower and volcanic shields and so forth...

Blading, I think, is where you really find Balance underpowered. True, we have the worst blading in the game. I have complimented this by using the Witch's Star necklace from Nastrond. At x1.30 blading and x1.35 trapping it really gives my normal hex and BB a much needed compliment. Add them together for more damage.

I will agree that Ice, through superior blading capabilities, on average does more damage than balance. The way to take care of superior blading your opponent has is to use weakness and not just the normal -25 school weakness but treasure -30 weakness as well. Plus Nova. Plus the May Cast Weakness from the Judge/Snake pet (less reliable, I know). But I fail to see where you see Life and Death as having more power than Balance? Death is the school in the game I beat with most consistency (unless facing a one pip minotaur cheater! lol) and Life? Life? really?

Balance is not ONE OF THE MOST difficult schools to master in the game, it is THE MOST difficult school to master in the game, hands down. My most recent gripe with the balance school is not power but I like the ideal of a PvP small deck as brilliantly outlined by DerHund over on WizardCentral but with the Celestial and Wintertusk expansion of all the Sun and Star schools and 2 new spells, I find myself forced to run a max large deck. I'd really love to find a way to get comfortable whittling my deck down to a little bigger than his 36 card deck, but I haven't found the comfort level :( yet. I really wish he would do a guide update post-Wintertusk :)

If I could find a way to integrate my deck into his size deck, I think I would use a lot less. Hope he hears lol 8)

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
Sorry for more babbling, but one more use of the Element/Spirit Defuses: They almost force your opponent to telegraph strategy a bit. If you see a death dispel blown and you are not facing a death wizard, you can bet your bottom dollar your opponent wants to infect you up a bit. Cast another Spirit defuse and really get their goad

If you see a non-ice wizard blow the Ice dispel, they are wanting to use their tower/volcanic. Toss on another Element Defuse

Do you know what a tremendous asset it is as a balance player to be going second and no tower or volcanic is present and possibly (just maybe) two stacked ice dispels are swirling around your opponents head?

Also, don't over-shield. I use to over-shield thinking it would save me. Especially against fire, your shields will all be blown and you will be soon beaten playing that way. Storm is the only school you can shield heavily, I think, if you can. Plus, I'm not saying don't shield.

Forgive me for going on so long and everything, I'd really like to see Balance as a school rise in its perceived capabilities in PvP. And I wish your PvP adventures more success in the future 8)

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
First of balance is far from weak I agree with the second post death's 58 spell and probably the most useful one in 1v1 got destroyed when winterusk and waterworks came out. Triage ruins the spell completely and resist makes it as weak as poison. Enraged Forest Lord if you haven't noticed has 60 accuracy and I don't think life gets any accuracy boosts so the spell is useless. Fire got pumped up because Celestia destoryed it even if they had efreet and the same with storm. Ice got pumped up during Celestia and went back to normal with Wintertusk releases. Your upset because now fire isn't the only school with a counter to judge anymore. Balance isn't underpowered its actually closer to be overpowered than underpowered. Maybe your going through a losing streak right now, but complaining isn't gonna help. Ranked is broken and most people now just do Practice maybe you should too if ranked PvP is causing trouble for you.

Aaron Drakewalker Legendary Pyromancer

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Balance is a weaker school in pvp, but its not the worst off, or the only one. The weaker schools are (in no particular order, and for 1v1.)

Balance
Storm
Life
Death

These schools are all missing a vital ingredient for pvp, weather it be a damage bubble or DoT. (Just FYI, death has the tools to succeed, its just fire, myth and ice are so much more powerful. )

-Solstice64

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
flarzedrago9 wrote:
Enraged Forest Lord if you haven't noticed has 60 accuracy and I don't think life gets any accuracy boosts so the spell is useless.
Um, not to ruin this post but life does get an accuracy boost. It is guidance. It give +10% accuracy (not just life but all schools) to all friends

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
scotttttttttt wrote:
flarzedrago9 wrote:
Enraged Forest Lord if you haven't noticed has 60 accuracy and I don't think life gets any accuracy boosts so the spell is useless.
Um, not to ruin this post but life does get an accuracy boost. It is guidance. It give +10% accuracy (not just life but all schools) to all friends

Thats true but, I meant with the level 60 gear. Plus 70% hit rate isn't really that good. The spell would still fizzle a lot.

Defender
Mar 11, 2010
And underestimating is what makes us win. As speaking, from a legendary balance, I 4v4 or 2v2 most of the time. Supporting is what I mainly do.