Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Legendaries, please don't be bullies

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
This is a problem I've seen before, but it's happening much more often on the Halloween quests because you tend to get a mix of players of widely different levels in some of the fights.

A Legendary player will join a fight and think because they're a few levels higher than the other wizards this gives them some kind of right to order the other players around. Typically, they'll start working on some high level spell which will take several rounds and kill the boss or all the opponents, and then expect everyone else to stop casting spells at their target while they work on it.

This isn't even good strategy because it's usually quicker if the players combine their efforts as a team to take down the enemy. It's greedy, because it means that the Legendary casts all the spells and therefore gets all the experience from the fight. And it's bad manners, because it's saying that one player has a right to play how they want but the others don't.

Last time this happened, I was playing a level 46 character myself and was quite capable of one-shotting the boss as well. When I argued with the Legendary he swore at me round the filter, and then acted all hurt when I reported him for it.

Legendaries, please don't do this. Othe players, please stand up to the bullies and report them if they break the chat rules.

Defender
Jan 28, 2010
MadLogician wrote:
This is a problem I've seen before, but it's happening much more often on the Halloween quests because you tend to get a mix of players of widely different levels in some of the fights.

A Legendary player will join a fight and think because they're a few levels higher than the other wizards this gives them some kind of right to order the other players around. Typically, they'll start working on some high level spell which will take several rounds and kill the boss or all the opponents, and then expect everyone else to stop casting spells at their target while they work on it.

This isn't even good strategy because it's usually quicker if the players combine their efforts as a team to take down the enemy. It's greedy, because it means that the Legendary casts all the spells and therefore gets all the experience from the fight. And it's bad manners, because it's saying that one player has a right to play how they want but the others don't.

Last time this happened, I was playing a level 46 character myself and was quite capable of one-shotting the boss as well. When I argued with the Legendary he swore at me round the filter, and then acted all hurt when I reported him for it.

Legendaries, please don't do this. Othe players, please stand up to the bullies and report them if they break the chat rules.

oh my gosh! As a legderay i will apoligize for all others. Although I have seen way more lower level people harass people then legendary people. I do have to say I have asked people not to use wand attacks when I put a feint or a hex out. Not because I am being mean but because it is a waste. Then I have to put more out and that means another plus 30% on me when it comes to a feint. I have also been know to politely ask if they could wait 2 more turns so I can use a full power pip judgement. I love those things and never get tired of them. Thats beside the point sorry. Anyway most the time I say what ever kills it the fastest I dont care. Anyway I have seen players of all levels do what your saying. I have been bossed around a few times myself and I ignore it. There is no rule saying that you have to listen to them. So I say continue the way you where before they join. And just keep right on reporting offensive words. I really do hope that you have better luck with other legendary's we arent all mean.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
MadLogician wrote:
It's greedy, because it means that the Legendary casts all the spells and therefore gets all the experience from the fight.

The amount of experience gotten from casting spells is trivial, compared to that gotten by completing the quests.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2011
MadLogician wrote:

I really hope that you don't think that all legendaries do this because you are sure coming off as someone who thinks they all do.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
Legends don't get any experience from a battle period. I don't believe it's ever been proven that casting a high hit spell or casting all the spells in a battle automatically guarantees that person the best drop from the fight. I've been in battles that I did all the fighting and didn't get a thing and in others where I just bladed, trapped or healed and got the best drop.

I've also been in dungeons with other high level players and one person would want to order everyone around....on the other hand I've been asked to help a lower level person and they would proceed to tell me how to battle. That little scenario works both ways so you can't just blame higher levels or legends on that.

You'll always have some bad mixed in with the good on any MMO. That's just the way life is.

I never argue with anyone in a battle. I play the way I think will benefit the majority of the players in the battle.

In the three years I've been playing this game I have never reported anyone nor ever been reported. I don't think I've ever seen anyone trying to get around the filters, ask for personal info or even trying to scam anyone. Maybe I've just been lucky.....or it could be I tend to ignore quite a bit.

Point is...when you battle with others you have to accept that things like that are gonna happen. If you don't want to deal with that kind of behavior battle solo, flee the fight and start again or just ignore what you don't care for.

I do agree it's rude but I don't really consider that to be bullying. I have to honestly say that I believe that word to be extremely overused. How on earth can you "bully" anyone in an online virtual world??

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

Please allow me to say that not all legendary wizards are bullies. Yes, some do seem the think the world of themselves, but not all of us are. :-)

I'm more than happy to befriend lower level wizards as long as they _
1. Do not upon finding out I'm an adult, ask me if I will gift them something. I do not gift. Period.
2. Do not take it upon themselves to expect me to drop anything/everything in order to act as their "muscle" in fights.
3. Act like bullies towards other wizards, Plain and simple; I do not like bullies.

If they do any of those above listed actions, they are either ignored or deleted from my friends' list.

Granted. there are some who upon becoming grandmasters (when that was the xp cap) and legendary, do act like they own the place. That doesn't mean that all of us are like that.

Cassandra Lionhunter
Iridian Shade
Rowan Summerblossom
Scarlet Flame

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
not all legendaries are as you say bullies i am a legendary yes we order people around sometimes most of the time we would order people around if they joined our fight and we didnt want them to join

yes lots of legendaries are like that most of them think they're better and have the right too (those are the ones who take the game way too seriously and let the power go to their head)

now from my point of view we get tired of people joining our fights if it is ours especially lvl 40 and below

if anyone does that to you or anyone else tell them no do what you want and if they report you its a false report THE END

Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
I agree with you. just because someone is a higher lvl doesnt mean they are the smartest player in the world. team work usally isnt in there vocab. but hey i say play your way i play mine. to me team work is always better than the lone wolf.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
im a legendary, and im not mean or rude to others, though i have met some of those guys. when i was a master, i ported to a friend and turned out he was in a fight. his friend in the same fight yelled at me and used ra to finish off all of them. later then, he said "im a grandmaster, so go away". it was close to that, but true. i mean, seriously? yelling at masters just cause your a title above them? in the first post, i think you forgot grandmasters. when i tell people to do something, i ask or say thanks when they did that. selfish people are gonna be selfish

"without balance, hope would disappear"
-Quinn Ironsword, legendary sorcerer and soon to be owner of a celestial observatory

"if there was no life, there would be nothing"
-Valerian Liongem, initiate theurgist

"death and misery are things we dont want, but nothing can be changed forever"
-Luis Nightwalker, initiate necromancer

"the greatest inventions are made by fantasy"
-Duncan Anvilpants, adept conjurer

"frost is something we may not want, but it evens the heat out"
-David Silvercloud, magus thaumaturge

"lightning is maybe a fierce weather, but lightning is electricity, and with electricity comes technology"
-Dustin Frogpants, journeyman diviner

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
As a Legendary, I can assure you that I am not a bully. In fact, I rarely type anything when I am in a battle. That being said, I also do not accept friend requests, and have been told that is "mean". No, it's prudent. I am an adult, and I have crowns. I turned my friend request off after I was asked no less than 12 times to friend lower levels and gift them. I do not gift. Ever. I have also responded to a friend request only to have someone immediately ask to trade with me.

If you join a battle in which I am engaged, I only ask that you not use my traps for wand spells. Other than that, join away. I don't tell people how to fight, not would I ever "order someone around". People have different styles and I respect that. I simply ask for the same respect in kind.

Molly, Legendary Life and Lady Abby, Ancient Forest Crawler, who hopes someday to be Epic. :D

Survivor
Nov 15, 2009
This type of gaming happens with all levels, I've had below level 20 tell me what spells to use, I don't mind if they can stay alive long enough... When my legendary jumps into a battle with low levels, it's because I've been asked to help, and I don't have a spell below 4 pips in my deck, I might have to give direction to keep them alive, but I can usually heal and kill nicely enough...

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
I would hate to think such behavior was rife, rather than just a handful of people.

I have three legends and if i'm logged on to any of them, and wind up in a battle with lower levels I not only do not order them around, I don't hit with anything all that hard. I try to give the other people a chance to play the game too, not take center stage and show off.

There IS a solution, however. If someone joins your battle and starts doing that, flee out and leave them to it by themselves.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
The thing regarding this subject is ...

Until people evolve a step further as humans, it is unfortunately a fact of life as it currently stands.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2010
This is probaly the best answer of them all:

Legendaries are "jerks" because they think they have so much power that the are better than anyone else.Its not all legendaries though.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
I erased both of my legendaries because people did not like me and treated me like a monster

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Oh please, let's just make a big, broad generalization. How about we put the blame where it belongs..... on the player!

Bullying is a player problem. Those pixels we call wizards don't have a personality! The player controlling them does! That bossy Legendary did not suddenly happen the day they hit Legendary. They have always been that way. If you meet a not nice wizard flee, put them on Ignore or change realms. Nobody can make you stay and take abuse. You can literally walk right through someone who is bugging you.

My Legendary is nice and polite because I am.

Megan

Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Oh please, let's just make a big, broad generalization. How about we put the blame where it belongs..... on the player!

Bullying is a player problem. Those pixels we call wizards don't have a personality! The player controlling them does! That bossy Legendary did not suddenly happen the day they hit Legendary. They have always been that way. If you meet a not nice wizard flee, put them on Ignore or change realms. Nobody can make you stay and take abuse. You can literally walk right through someone who is bugging you.

Megan
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:

Megan

Lol. i was cracking up at the "walk through" part and your right!

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
Legendaries being mean? I got these newbies trying to boss me around! They are like "Take me to Krokotopia" or "Take me to Dragonspyre!"
Then I ask why and they say because they can meet higher level friends there. I told him to stand right outside briskbreeze, and then he's like will you take me there already? I unfriended him. Then he asked why I unfriended him. And everyone asks for my treasure cards. Or to gift them.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
On the flip side of this coin, lowbee's don't be jerks!

Don't hang around towers, dungeons, or monster spawn areas that you know are far out of your league, then jumping in on higher level players uninvited, so they can carry your weight. It's not our job to help you, give you a free ride, or baby sit you.

If you are good enough to ask, we may say yes, and give you a hand. But if not, show some courtesy, and leave us alone! After all we are playing the game to have fun too, and if your presence is killing our fun, then why should we play at all?

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
I totally agree with you, ssss55123 . I am an adult player who has several Legendary characters. I find that there are many lower level wizards will beg me for a gift, I don't gift either and I also delete them from my friend list.
The one thing I have occasionally seen legendary wizards do , and I suspect they are younger kids, is join a game and take the whole lot of enemies out with one big spell and nobody gets a chance to cast a spell. I don't like show offs either. That doesn't make it much fun for the other players. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. :D

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
i am a legend and i have seen other legends be bullies but sometimes lower lvl charaters will do something rash like waste a trap that would cost you the battle because they want to attack when they want to. then possibly if the boss has enough pips they could have the legends be killed and just wait for the legend to magicly respawn.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
MadLogician wrote:

yea that was not cool. I tend to be full of myself too when i fight. But if you can kill them do it. I just dont like when you hit them they go after you and you then want me to heal you. Because normally I will take the hot seat when with low leveled players.

But honestly I am not sure that its level or experience. When with a good group who can play well in a team and not where everyone is trying to kill and no one is prepared to be hit.

So I am just saying that it may seem like bullying (and in that case he was just being rediculous) but it could be their way of taking the lead. But no one wants to sit in the hot seat take a bunch of hits then have to heal you because you couldnt wait a round.

Now let me say this before i am attacked lol. I am talking about the posters problem from another point of view i am not implying that the problems I too have had are problems the poster is quilty of just another point of view plain and simple.