Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Filter the word noob! please!!

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Yes i am aware that saying the word "noob" is not a reportable offense, but its very irritating. When people say the word "noob" they do not understand its meaning. Also this causes many fights and false reporting, please ki take the time to read this message. Ill say this one more time i already get the point now there is no need for people to get physical with this post. ( edited)

Defender
Jan 28, 2010
There is absolutly nothing wrong with the word noob as you said. I have to disagree with you though. I have been called noob hundreds of times. It dosent bother me at all. The reason is I dont take it as an insult. As for false reporting KI has that and will take care of those who do it. If your not false reporting then you have nothing to worry about. If your reported and said nothing bad then you have nothing to worry about. For them to remove that word just because you dont like it would be beyond wrong.

Do what I do when someone calls you a noob agree with them. :D :D They will walk away. If not start running around saying that your a happy little noob when they see it dose not bother you in the least they will stop. It works every single time for me. I even got other people running around saying it. Its actually fun plus since I am level 60 its even better.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010

I agree.
Although it's not a "swear word", it really has no place in the game.

The urban dictionary definition really needs an update, because the word "noob" has taken a whole new meaning.
When someone calls you a noob, they do not mean "you're new at this game", or "you don't wanna learn anything new".
The context in which it's used implies that you are "stupid/dumb/moron" etc.

Ironically, you can't say the word "stupid" in the game. KI won't have it. But noob is perfectly acceptable.

Stupid = No
Noob = Sure, they can say that

Even though when used in that context, noob does = stupid.

Example. Let's say W101 had no chat filter at all.. You can say anything you want. I guarantee you wouldn't see the word noob. Why you ask? Because, then people would be using real cuss words. No need to call someone a noob if you can swear for real.

But, since we cannot say anything, and chat is filtered, that doesn't leave many options for trolls who want to swear and be rude. Therefore, they have no choice but to say noob, as that's all that is allowed.

That's why I'm saying it's ALL about context!! That's what really counts.

So for all the people who are gonna reply to this thread, trying to be smart alecs saying "umm noob just means that your new, or that u cant learn. its not bad" -- I say to those people "yes it is bad" and I have just explained why..

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
watsupdog111 wrote:
Yes i am aware that saying the word "noob" is not a reportable offense, but its very irritating. When people say the word "noob" they do not understand its meaning. Also this causes many fights and false reporting, please ki take the time to read this message.

the word noob just means someone that isnt as skilled in the game as someone else is

this word should not be banned because they only ban the worst words in the book

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
watsupdog111 wrote:
Yes i am aware that saying the word "noob" is not a reportable offense, but its very irritating. When people say the word "noob" they do not understand its meaning. Also this causes many fights and false reporting, please ki take the time to read this message.

Shake it off. Water off a duck's back. Sticks and stones.

Seriously.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Sorry, Watsupdog111.

I have mentioned this as well, and it has been mentioned for years.
I do not believe this change will be made, ever.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Ugh, no! Okay? No. There's no reason for it. Even if KI did block the word, players would just find another way to get the point across. Just ignore it. Works every time.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
watsupdog111 wrote:

oh they do know it's meaning.

Those that use it on W101, deliberately use it to be hateful and vicious. Because it isn't recognized as a cuss word in the offline world, K I apparently feels it's harmless.

Those that use it do so to cyberbully others. and K I apparently approves of that, because they not only don't filter the word, they say it's okay.

But the cyberbullying is real and very painful. The word is an insult at the best of times. It's used to belittle and degrade people. GRanted it SOUNDS like the word newbie but it is never used in a positive sense.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Filter "noob" and they'll use "n00b, n0ob, no0b, noobie, nob, n0b, nub, nooob, etc. They're going to find away to dictionary-dodge it. If use of the word isn't punishable, there's no point in filtering it..

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
watsupdog111 wrote:
i agree i have been called a noob alot winning a pvp summoning a minion healing not gifting someone the list gos on and on :-(

matfiremancer lv 59 fire

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
Yes, you're right.

It can be very irritating at times, when someone keeps repeating it over and over and over again, and really don't even know what they're saying.

But honestly, even if the word "noob" was blocked or taken out of the system, people would just come up with another one; and it could be worse than simply "noob."

So my advice to you would be, learn to ignore it, or literally hit the "ignore" button.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:

Those that use it do so to cyberbully others. and K I apparently approves of that, because they not only don't filter the word, they say it's okay.

It's used to belittle and degrade people ... it is never used in a positive sense.

You nailed it perfectly.
What you said right there, sums it up better than 100 replies ever could.
That is exactly right!

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
colagada wrote:
Filter "noob" and they'll use "n00b, n0ob, no0b, noobie, nob, n0b, nub, nooob, etc. They're going to find away to dictionary-dodge it. If use of the word isn't punishable, there's no point in filtering it..

he is right most people who dont like noob, are called newb by friends who respect but laugh at the weaker mostly legends and about legends use this word and the losers in pvp are often called noobs so if you dont like noob then just avoid pvp or lower the level max.
I am not a noob( at least not anymore ) but this might help ya.

Fred Nighthunter- lvl52 cya around the spiral
( most likely in the bazaar, pvp , celestia, dragonspyre, mooshu, wizard city, ravenwood, or if you see angus darkshard, destiny jade, etc.)

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
colagada wrote:

not possible. KI is so careful with text chat, they didnt only censor words, they chose them to saying that wont be possible. were not even allowed to say words like shoulder and bull. also, removing "noob" will cut down a large portion of bullying. there cant be any words worse than that, since 60% of all the words are already censored

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
I don't find the word n00b offensive at all - I've been called it many times and I even call myself it when I do something silly.

Idon't know where all the noob hate is coming from. It is not meant to be a swear word - it implies that the other person is not as skilled as you and probably did something a little silly (like, for example, attacking Sylvester without a blade or trap and getting his whole team hit with Ra... twice. *cough*cough*).

Oh that was so much fun and I was such a noob for doing it LOL!

Oh well, see you noobies around and try not to take it seriously, it's not as strong as you think it is :)

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
marolin23 wrote:
colagada wrote:

not possible. KI is so careful with text chat, they didnt only censor words, they chose them to saying that wont be possible. were not even allowed to say words like shoulder and bull. also, removing "noob" will cut down a large portion of bullying. there cant be any words worse than that, since 60% of all the words are already censored

I agree with how large a portion of words that are already censored... I was looking around a friends watchtower I think it was, and didnt see any second floor area for the bedroom furniture, but you cant say that in the game unless they have full open chat. There are lots of meaningless words that are filtered for no reason, or some sentences that are filtered as you try to type them depending on what words you are saying. And I've seen nothing wrong with the sentences I try to put together, but get irritated when chatting with a filtered chat person and I see my sentence turning yellow based on a combo of meaningless words...??? I do not get this at all. And unfortunately, the person I chat with most gets his access from game cards, he's close to adult but a year from getting a visa/mc debit with his checking account so other than getting a prepaid credit card from like cvs, he has no credit card membership option, so he cant open the full open chat feature, which isnt quite fair. Why is this limited to credit card purchases only? Idk, I feel KI isnt fully with the program on the filtered chat. I cant combine a few words for a sentence without it turning yellow (I cant think of these words right now but I know it's nothing bad) but a kid can call me an 'as crack' and that doesnt turn red???

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
Survivor
Oct 19, 2010
It does get very irritating for me, also. And it doesn't help when people tell you to ignore them, because some people like me, are not very good at ignoring stuff like that. At some times I do think it would be better if the would remove the "noob" word, but at other times, it makes me realize that people will just find a new way to insult you. The way I look at it, is that people should actually try BEING NICE, and not call anyone anything mean, just because something didn't go the way the planned. I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, it's just the way I wish things could be.

Emma IceBlossom
Legendary Thamaturge (:

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AmericanHappy wrote:
I don't find the word n00b offensive at all - I've been called it many times and I even call myself it when I do something silly.

"Noob" generally refers to a new or inexperienced player, who typically:

1. spams others for items/friendship;
2. demonstrates few, if any, manners;
3. doesn't take the advice given, and
4. expects other players to do the work for him/her.

The word itself is a condescending version of "newbie", a word that simply means, "new player"; therefore, as an adult, I don't find the word offensive. That said, what doesn't affect me may be soul-crushing to a child under 10, especially with the new, derisive meaning given to this word by the younger generation.

-

In my opinion, a lot of the filtered words (magazine, periodical, anything over 2 syllables or spelled in Canadian/British English) are ridiculous. Instead, why not focus on removing words that are inflammatory and/or have the potential to hurt someone's feelings? People will always find ways around the filter and/or to be offended, but perhaps less restrictions will reduce the amount of players creating new ways to insult people.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it, for what it's worth.

Defender
Sep 05, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
crystalwizard12345... wrote:

It's used to belittle and degrade people ... it is never used in a positive sense.

You nailed it perfectly.
What you said right there, sums it up better than 100 replies ever could.
That is exactly right!

I do think they should ban the word noob. But not newbie, because it sounds positive. Well at least more positive then the word noob. Notice how when you type the word "noob" in on the message board it has a red line under it, meaning it is not a real word. Kingsisle shouldn't have words available that don't even exist. Except wanna, kinda, sorta, and things like that are exceptionable. Now notice how the word "Newbie" does not have a red line under it, because obviously it is a real word.

"I will help you out, because you are a noob."

OR

"I will help you out, because you are a newbie."

1 Sounds like they are offending you.

2 Sounds like they are saying you are new, in the nicest way possible.

"You are a noob"

OR

"You are a newbie"

1, they are obviously trying to be mean.

2, they are trying to be mean, but it does not even sound mean, or atleast not as mean as 1.

You see, they should ban the word "noob", but not the word "Newbie."

Survivor
Jun 19, 2010
watsupdog111 wrote:

nOOb means to be bad at something and never get good at it. lots of people use noob in like little kid games

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
I use the word "noob" to describe myself all the time when starting a new MMO. It an easy way to let people know what to expect from you.

As someone who is constantly disappointed to see the lengths people will go to in order to circumvent the filter, this word is the least of problems.

I used to play a game were people were calling free players "freebs". If it's not one word, it will be another.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
really? i think that noob should not be allowed in a 13+ chat but in a new 16+ chat whare you van say all words exept swear

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
The word "noob" isn't really harmful, but it is extremely irritating to hear "Noob" everywhere you go. I was even surprised that KI allowed it in the text chat list. But, they're probably leaving it there for a reason, so I can deal with it.