Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

poor kids

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 13, 2011
i have a text chat account and have made another account with menu chat to check it out but then i saw how frustrating it is for the ones that have no text chat they can't see what others are saying and stuff like that i think they should be able to see the words well except things they should not be able to see yeah that would show up as ". . ." well thats it hope you guys make this happen :D

Historian
May 01, 2010
julia88888 wrote:
i have a text chat account and have made another account with menu chat to check it out but then i saw how frustrating it is for the ones that have no text chat they can't see what others are saying and stuff like that i think they should be able to see the words well except things they should not be able to see yeah that would show up as ". . ." well thats it hope you guys make this happen :D

Menu chat is there for the EXCACT same reason you stated, so they cant see all of the trolling cursing etc. Most of the people that have menu chat is -12, as an extra layer of protection. When i get really annoyed with the trolling around when doing well, anything really, I actually turn off the chat option, and just tell my friends on before hand.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
julia88888 wrote:

This wouldn't work since some people go out of their way to come up with new ideas to circumvent the text chat feature daily. Menu chat is heavily restricted for a reason. If a menu chatter needs text chat, then they change their account to text chat (assuming if it is a child, with their parent's permission of course). Besides what shouldn't a menu chatter be seeing from a text chatter, that the text chatter should not be saying themselves????

If you need to communicate with the menu chatters, then you have to use the menu chat yourself (they won't see anything else). If you find certain situations where the predefined quotes do not work, you can suggest KI add additional quotes. The menu chat works just fine in most situations, except the cheating bosses it seems. Coordination is a bit tough there.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
this might suprise you but there is an open chat which allows you to mispell and say numbers like 1234567890 you get my point i feel sry for txt chat people

Defender
Jun 14, 2010

Likely anyone who has menu chat is too young to understand what they're missing anyway..

julia88888 wrote:
i think they should be able to see the words well except things they should not be able to see yeah that would show up as ". . ."

Well, if by nature people weren't such trolls, then maybe that idea could work.
But we've all seen people swear around those language filters.

Ironically, it takes more effort to figure out words that sound like the 'bad word' you want to say, than it would just not saying the word.
*sigh..*

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
what do you mean by "poor", they have no money or do you pity them. Anyways if there under age they could get permission to allow them to get text chat simple as that.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
As the others said Menu Chat is restricted for a reason. I put my kids account on Menu Chat because things are getting out of hand. Some mean twit was being nasty to my daughter. So I hopped on and said her Mom was seeing all this and they should be nice. She is old enough for Open years wise but, delayed. She was actually not to bothered. Bullying, sadly is nothing new to her. After that she has Menu. We are in the same room when we play so she doesn't need chat.

I keep my chat Box closed especially in the Commons. There are some foul mouthed people out there. If one really feels the need to swear please say the word out loud!

Those kids are not poor at all. They don't have to see all the junk going on.

Megan

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
watsupdog111 wrote:
what do you mean by "poor", they have no money or do you pity them. Anyways if there under age they could get permission to allow them to get text chat simple as that.
by poor i mean like they must be frustrated and to the people that said but what if they say something like using other words to make it soungd like a bad word they could make it show up as . . . you gotta read the whole message next time guys :?

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
and what if a text chat person asks for help? the menu chat can't see it so they don't know if they need help

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
julia88888 wrote:
and what if a text chat person asks for help? the menu chat can't see it so they don't know if they need help

If you see a Menu Chat person you use Menu Chat to talk with them, under Friendly is "Can you help me?". Now I must say I fumble around in Menu Chat because I don't use it much. But, I do make an effort when I am around someone with Menu Chat.

If it really is a problem a parent can buy $10 Crowns, enable Parental Controls and then enable Text Chat.

Megan

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
julia88888 wrote:

Then the text chat person can use one of the menu-chat options to indicate they would like help, such as "Let's do the (enter quest here)".

There were times I used that sitting in the commons, because everyone could see it.

And before anyone says you can't tell if the person can or cannot see your text, remember the icons next to the players title/badge...

Ø = menu-chat only, cannot see text.

A plain speech bubble = restricted text chat, cannot see yellow text.

No symbol at all means open chat, can see all text. (None of them can see red text, obviously.)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
julia88888 wrote:

If the Text chat person needs help, then they use their own menu chat, scroll down to "My Quest" and says," Let's......" (whatever the quest is). Or they scroll down to "Activities" and communicate that way.

Again, Open and Text chat wizards have to use their own menu chats to talk to menu chatters.

Historian
May 01, 2010
julia88888 wrote:

Then its the text chat's responsibility to ask in menu chat

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
julia88888 wrote:

Actually, I think that Menu Chat isn't that bad, despite the fact that I have a membership but I never turned Text Chat on. The only thing I saw instead of the "..." after I enabled Text Chat was people saying all of these bad words and bullying.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
loki1201 wrote:

Likely anyone who has menu chat is too young to understand what they're missing anyway..

oh no they are not.