Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Going Broke

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 25, 2010
Between outfits, pets, card packs, and what not, I end up spending lots of money on wizard101 (A LOT OF MONEY) . And because I am a member, and a frecuent buyer, i think that every once in a while I should get something in return. Not like a free outfit (that i don't even want), but 5000 crowns, or something like that. It is only fair that if I am paying KI's paychecks, I want to get rewarded. And keep in mind that it costs them nothing to give away crowns.

Just saying... Can i get some feedback to see where other people stand on this.

Sean FireHunter- Level 35- Fire

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
loganrobertson321 wrote:
Between outfits, pets, card packs, and what not, I end up spending lots of money on wizard101 (A LOT OF MONEY) . And because I am a member, and a frecuent buyer, i think that every once in a while I should get something in return. Not like a free outfit (that i don't even want), but 5000 crowns, or something like that. It is only fair that if I am paying KI's paychecks, I want to get rewarded. And keep in mind that it costs them nothing to give away crowns.

Just my opinion.. Ration out your crowns and don't buy things on a whim. That will save you money in the long run.

Personally, I would love to be a crowns player, but it isn't meant to be. So, I shop around. Figure out exactly what I want and how may crowns I need to get it. Then I buy just enough crowns to get through (again, when I can and usualy a gift card), and any left over build up leading to the next crowns purchase. Oh and if something (i.e. a house or certain mount or other) is available for gold then that's what I buy it with.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I do wish there was a few more 'perks' for members. Still, i don't believe one of those 'perks' should be crowns. In actuality, you don't need to spend crowns for outfits, mega snacks, or pets.

As Prof. Greyrose often states, it is Time vs Crowns.

Most of the best outfits are not ones you buy with crowns...they are the ones that are crafted or drops from bosses. Yes, it may take fighting the same boss repeatedly to gain the item you want, but it don't cost any real money other than the subscription.

Most of the pets drop from bosses...all it takes is a little patience and time.

You can spend a small amount of crowns and get couch potato plants. These plants ALWAYS drops a mega snack at elder along with a seed to replenish. There are other plants you can get as drops or with in game gold that has a chance of giving mega snacks.

Is it really necessary to rush through the pet training? Yes, the games can be a little tedious, but they really don't take that long. Usually, within a few hours of game time (not all at once) i can have a pet up to adult without using a single mega snack. In fact, i don't use mega snacks until I get past ancient. That way i know none of my 'high end' snacks is being consumed by a pet with selfish or undesirable talents.

In a way, giving out free crowns does cost them money because that would be less crowns people are buying.

Hannah Lifebringer level 60 Life

Historian
May 01, 2010
loganrobertson321 wrote:

Nothing on this game you are forced to buy. Remember, if you buy crowns, if you buy a sub, the reward is being able to get stuff, being able to go anywhere, you following me? My tips really, you are able to get to legend in a month (I have done it once, and now in the middle of it), and then have bought waterworks (gear drops, sell able stuff, mega snacks, pearls), and have been happy as no sub farming that. I would also refrain from buying whatever is new in the crown shop, because 90% of the stuff there can be farmed for.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Let me put this in perspective for you. The name of the company that makes this game is Kingsisle Entertainment. Entertainment--like movies, TV, sporting events, and so on. What you get when you pay to play this game is...the game. You don't ask for free stuff if you go to an NFL football game (and I would like to point out that an afternoon at an NFL game costs more than an entire year's sub to Wizard 101), or a movie, or a concert. Because you know that you are paying to be entertained. This game is entertainment. It's interactive entertainment--you go on quests, level up, train pets, and it seems like work. But it's not work, you you aren't entitled to be paid for it.

Here's what is work: making a game of this complexity and detail. My family is in the tech business, so I know a little about what it takes--and costs--to make a game like this. It's an immense expenditure of man (and woman)-hours--programming, design, troubleshooting (huge time-eater, believe me) and running forums like this. Huge. This game costs a ton of money to make and maintain, in other words. We are not getting ripped off--as I see it, we are getting a pretty good deal here, relative to other forms of entertainment. Yes, there are things I wish were done differently--I don't like the "raffle" aspect, for example. Too many things ask you to throw in crowns for uncertain ends. But that's a small detail, really. I don't have to buy those things. I can play without them.

My final point: you can play this game without spending a single crown, and do everything anyone else can do. It just takes longer. You get free pets--good ones, if you level up to 48 and 58. You can farm for gold. I know a couple of real "purists" who are adults, and can afford to spend crowns, but choose not to play that way. They like the challenge of playing without spending crowns.

Maybe you should try playing that way for awhile. You might find it more satisfying. Just a thought.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Excellent reply Tabby714! My thoughts exactly!!

The only thing I would have added is that KI is not just paying for all the expenses for Wizard101, but is actually using some of that income to hire new people, equipment and services to start up their second and unnamed project that is still in the works.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2009