Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Newcomer looking for information on how this

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 24, 2011
Hi everybody,

Being fairly new to this game I've been experimenting with almost every scholl in the game. Some I like right now, some not so much, but that's besides the point.

Coming from games of MtG at the lunch table in High school, and a Chaotic phase when I got my first Job (picture grown men in the breakroom playing with trading cards, yeah, that was us...) I really did like the online componenet to that game, I can use my physical cards online to play others, not like the "other" game...*cough* MTGO *cough*

All that aside, the PvE aspect of this game is great, I love it when a game allows you to join others on the fly, see a battle, pick a circle, and fight. It is tough on my Myth wizard someties, as full spots mean useless cards, but oh well. The "problem" with PvP is it is somewhat predictable and tends to function differently than say, other humans. What changes when you step into the arena. I can break down the schools from a PvE point of view, but I have no idea what to look for in PvP, I just want an idea so I can decide whether or not to change my focus to another Magic school for PvP, I'll raise numerous wizards anyway, I'm an altoholic, but I want to be selective on which I send into the arena, at least at first, to avoid frustration.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, considering you are probably not a very high level, PvP is different in all sorts of ways, especially to the different schools...

Fire: Great well balanced school, best at pvp for all levels...
Ice: The tank, low damage, but most resistance and health...
Storm: High damage to start, but most will carry storm shields and the low accuracy and health make it difficult for storm... A real challenge!

Myth: Great at PvP, if you know how to play Myth that is... A real strategy
Death: Some dont like death, but death is truly an awesome school and really good at pvp at all levels...
Life: Again, takes real strategy at playing life, but another good school...

Balance: Balance, once you get to level 28 and learn Judgment, can easily own any school, if you know how to play...

Now, everything can change in PvP, with different gear, your level, and the pets you have...

Good luck on the battlefield, but to me, there really is no Bad School, just bad players...

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
If you want to have a few easy victories without getting frustrated, then you probably picked the right starting school for PvP. Myth can summon minions to do their bidding (or at least provide a distraction for the enemy) while the wizard attacks with a few spells.
As bad as it looks on paper, the Wooden Puppet (or something like that) minion is great. It breaks shields, slowly chips away the opponent's health while you deal the heavy hits, and makes the opponent waste a turn to kill. It will be a good spell for many levels to come, too.
That's just some advice to get you started. If you want more, just ask someone.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
bmbeeman wrote:
Hi everybody,

Being fairly new to this game I've been experimenting with almost every scholl in the game. Some I like right now, some not so much, but that's besides the point.

Coming from games of MtG at the lunch table in High school, and a Chaotic phase when I got my first Job (picture grown men in the breakroom playing with trading cards, yeah, that was us...) I really did like the online componenet to that game, I can use my physical cards online to play others, not like the "other" game...*cough* MTGO *cough*

All that aside, the PvE aspect of this game is great, I love it when a game allows you to join others on the fly, see a battle, pick a circle, and fight. It is tough on my Myth wizard someties, as full spots mean useless cards, but oh well. The "problem" with PvP is it is somewhat predictable and tends to function differently than say, other humans. What changes when you step into the arena. I can break down the schools from a PvE point of view, but I have no idea what to look for in PvP, I just want an idea so I can decide whether or not to change my focus to another Magic school for PvP, I'll raise numerous wizards anyway, I'm an altoholic, but I want to be selective on which I send into the arena, at least at first, to avoid frustration.

i say a good pvp school whould be balance or storm
with balance ya can prepare a blow that will knock them dead a bit slower then storm but can be even deadlier
now storm would be a speed strike kill
a good moto for storm would be kill fast or be killed faster

if those arent to your liking go with death
death is a school that focuses on giving a part of you and return with a stronger form later and replenish health after striking
( i use to play mtg and ya could say the black cards in it have a similair style as death school magic )

so those are a few schools that are very strong in pvp
so i hope ya have fun with pvp
cya in the ring

Destiny iceflame (ice)
Destiny summerflower (fire)
Destiny soulspear (death)
Rachel dreamdreamer (balance)

Survivor
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I'm not necessarily looking for the "easy" win. I just know that in some games (as stated in posts here) certain things just can't PvP that well. From the looks of things. Since I'm enjoying Myth so much I think I'll stick with him for awhile and take time to learn exactly how it works. Minions in PvP sound awesome. If that doesn't work out, I have a low Fire alt I can play around with.

Thanks.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bmbeeman wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not necessarily looking for the "easy" win. I just know that in some games (as stated in posts here) certain things just can't PvP that well. From the looks of things. Since I'm enjoying Myth so much I think I'll stick with him for awhile and take time to learn exactly how it works. Minions in PvP sound awesome. If that doesn't work out, I have a low Fire alt I can play around with.

Thanks.

All schools can be great at PvP, some just have an easier times at certain levels than others do...

Also, it depends on how prepared you are... What gear you wear, what pets you have, what talents your pet has, what treasure cards you carry, the setup of your deck, etc...

You have different levels and different ranks... The hardest part in PvP, is when you are a low level, but getting a high rank and it starts making you face very high level wizards that have low rank...

Yeah, KI did not do a very good job on the point distribution for wins and losses... PvP is still very much in need of a good makeover!