Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Just A Thought...

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 05, 2010
This is a random topic i just posted, but i hate how i don't know everything about everything...

I, personally like to know everything there is about everything, and it just frustrates me how i don't know where to get some of the astral spells, some things involving pets i don't understand, where in the world and what level do you get polymorphs, how do people get so many training points, in some worlds i probably have missed quests, where? People say mastery amulets give you training points or help you strengthen you spells, is that true? In any way can you strengthen your spells, besides critical and damage %. What does critical in all do? Things like that just bug me... lol

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
EvanJadepetal wrote:
I, personally like to know everything there is about everything, and it just frustrates me how i don't know where to get some of the astral spells, some things involving pets i don't understand, where in the world and what level do you get polymorphs, how do people get so many training points, in some worlds i probably have missed quests, where? People say mastery amulets give you training points or help you strengthen you spells, is that true? In any way can you strengthen your spells, besides critical and damage %. What does critical in all do? Things like that just bug me... lol

1. Astral spells can be acquired in Celestia starting at Lvl. 50. Polymorphs are a type of Astral spell called Moon spells.
2. Training points are gained every few levels (I forget the exact number) and Zeke's quest also provide one training point per quest.
3. That is absolutely false. These people are misinformed. All Mastery Amulets allow you to do is use power pips for spells of that Amulet's school. For instance, my Theurgist has the Death mastery Amulet. He can cast Wraith with 3 power pips instead of having to wait the 6 turns it would take to gain the amount of pips required for that spell.
4. You can use blades and traps to make spells stronger. Equipment also boosts attack power. What confuses me is how you can not know this, but know about critical rating. Speaking of, critical rating allows a spell to pack a much harder punch than it usually would.
5. I'm not sure what you don't understand about pets. When you can tell me that, I might be able to give you an answer.

Historian
May 01, 2010
EvanJadepetal wrote:
This is a random topic i just posted, but i hate how i don't know everything about everything...

Astral spells: first two you get in base camp and solarium, the rest you get in solarium.

Training points: in each world, zeke gives a quest to find: WC=Smiths KT=Bettles, MB=Stray Cats, MS=blue oysters, DS=Stone Roses, CL=Lounge lizzards, GH=Yardbirds, WT=Troggs, and finally Pigswick=Wall flowers.

Polymorphs: Celestia, 50, 52, 54, 55, 56,57*, 58 (*not sure if right level) and you get them: 50, 52: Base Camp; 54, 56, 58, Lunarium (or Portico); 55, 56, 57, 58 (not sure if correct levels), Stormriven.

Mastery Amulets: These let you use power pips outside your school of focus, depending on which one you have on (exp. life mastery, able to use pp with life along with your school of focus, life cant use)

Spell strength: Sun spells like Tough (50), Strong (100), Monstrous (175) and Gargantuan (225) increase the damage to spells. (all except Gargantuan have myth treasure card counterparts)

Criticals: they double your damage if you score one, can be blocked, which reverts damage back to normal (before critical). For example, a wand hit 100, I critical it, changes to 200, if my opponent blocks it, it goes back to 100, if they dont, it takes 200 away from their health.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Ok, first off, to explain Everything to you, would take an extreme amount of time, energy, and words...

Polymorphs are a total waste! Forget polymorphs before you waste your training points on them and have to buy them back... If you want to be another school, start another character...

However, if you insist on learning polymorphs, go to Celestia, when you are high enough level, as they are level restricted.... 2 can be found in base camp, more in the portico, and even more in stormriven...

Now, damage boosts, make your attacks more powerful, as well as blades...

Criticals, when successful, double the damage that you would have normally inflicted...

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
I can help you with a few things. Critical Strike ( CS ), does double dmg what your spell would do normally. That includes boosts & traps too. If you lay down traps & blades that allows a spell to do 1000 dmg... landing a critical, it will do 2000 dmg.

Critical Block ( CB ), protects you from suffering double dmg from a spell. Also the Critical Block & Strike #s are not %ages. You can have critical rating higher than 100. The higher the # the better your chances of blocking & striking vs your opponent's. You CB # vs you opponent's CS # & vice versa. Not sure how they are calculated.

To Increase dmg to your spells, layer different LIKE traps & blades so they will stack. Example: I'm a life wiz. I learned Life Blade & have Life Blade Treasure cards. They are both the same spell but with different stats so their dmg %s stack.

Life Blade........... adds 40% dmg to attack spells
Life Blade TC.... adds 45% dmg to attack spells
Spirit Blade....... adds 35% dmg
Spirit Blade TC adds 40%
totalling.......................... 160% dmg increase.

The same is works for traps. Stack traps & blades along with faints, curses, gargantuan, strong, etc., & amplifies... you can do BooKoo dmg.

As far as Mastery Amulets go... Power pips count as 2 pips, but only for your school. A mastery amulet allows those power pips to count as 2 pips for spells ouside your school. A fire amulet will allow PPs to count as 2 pips for fire spells, etc.

Mastery Amulets DON'T give you training points. Most training points are earned by doing side quests for Prospector Zeeke. There are some begining level side quests that give you training points & a couple crafting quests that give training points too. Also there are a # of side quests in Celestia that earn you TPs.

You can learn Polymorph spells in Celestia by spending training points... or you can by the treasure cards. Hope all that helps.

Robert DragonWhisperer lvl 60 Lifer

Survivor
May 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Polymorphs are a total waste! Forget polymorphs before you waste your training points on them and have to buy them back... If you want to be another school, start another character...

So not true. I specilize in polymorphing, and I can't count the number of times I've faced enemies that are my class that I won using polymorphing. Plus, you can use schools outside your focus if you're in danger, such as life to heal, ice to meatshield, storm and fire to destroy, and death to trap.

Wolf (Level 60 Pyromancer)
Wolf Life (Level 12 Theurgist)
Wolf Spellblade (Level 4 Sorcerer)
Malorn Deathbrand (Level 3 Necromancer)

Armiger
May 10, 2010
woofiewolf908 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

So not true. I specilize in polymorphing, and I can't count the number of times I've faced enemies that are my class that I won using polymorphing. Plus, you can use schools outside your focus if you're in danger, such as life to heal, ice to meatshield, storm and fire to destroy, and death to trap.

Wolf (Level 60 Pyromancer)
Wolf Life (Level 12 Theurgist)
Wolf Spellblade (Level 4 Sorcerer)
Malorn Deathbrand (Level 3 Necromancer)

I am absolutely sure, you do not PvP!

Polymorphs as far as PvE is concerned, any good player can play without them... Treant is the only good polymorph and that is to heal you and others and can be bought as treasure cards... Any other polymorph is a total waste... If you think they are so good, I would love to meet you on the battlefield, easy victory and easy points...

Any Real Player, or good player, will avoid polymorphs...

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
EvanJadepetal wrote:

some things involving pets i don't understand,

Looks like your other items were covered by other people (and I'm just getting into polymorphs so I dont have much info there other than the 2 in CL base camp are definitely a waste of training points, but the treant one is vital for anyone who isnt a life student as it gives you the ability to heal and place absorb shields on others and has 2 life hits, only the 4 pip is worth using as it also casts I think a 50% health boost ring which really helps. I have the ice polymorph, has blade and trap but no really big hits, and I saw someone with the fire morph use phoenix but idk what other items that morph has. Idk if there is a ninja death pig morph for training points as I havent found the other polymorph trainer in CL but you can get that from treasure cards which I got as a gardening drop but idk from which plant, and from the pig gear in the crown shop)

What I'd like to know is what your questions are regarding pets?? Idk how much I can answer but I've been obsessed with hatching for hybrids ever since I had a bum hatch and we each got the same pet.
Training your pets is vital, but i'm not sure how their number stats help you. I do know that the more you train the better chance you have to get good abilities for them. For instance, I got a firezilla from a store gift card, so he had the firezilla to start, then when he hit teen he also gained the fire elf spell. I have a Nightmare pony that comes from the crown shop (thru halloween I assume, so glad too because I dont have the time to train my unicorn and lvl up my fire student for helephant which are the 2 parents needed to hatch the nightmare pony) my crown pony came with meteor, and gained the ability at teen to cast unicorn, and i've heard that at either ancient or epic it might gain spritely also.
There are just over 2 dozen pets that could gain spritely, visit this page for that info: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/PetAbility:Spritely

Hatching seems to be a mega issue for many. My first hatch was disappointing as I wasted lots of gold for the same pets, which were not even switched to opposite players. Check here to see if your pet even has the ability to creat a hybrid before wasting gold: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets
It's mostly your upper lvl gained main school pets that can create hybrids I think, and some can have 2 or 3 outcomes depending. It's possible that other pets may be able to create hybrids and no one updated the wiki info to show, so many probably experiment and many get disappointed and frustrated. Some people use hatching to create a 'family' of the same type of pet, like I plan to do with my nightmare pony because I would like several roaming outside my death house.
Now, I'm not sure how things go regarding pet stats/abilities and the hatching. So idk if I were to try hatching my lava spider who has nothing really, with my nightmare pony who has meteor strike and unicorn, maybe my duplicate lava spider might get meteor and unicorn possibly, hopefully someone else can input on this more.

That's what I can think of for pets so if you have other questions please post and we will see what we can answer. :)

Taryn Ravenheart legend myth & Rylee SpriteCaster lvl 48 life (and 10 total students lol)

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
EvanJadepetal wrote:

some things involving pets i don't understand,

I'll try to add a few things to what Taryn said.

First, you need to know that each pet has ten talents and ten derby talents he can learn. For example, unicorns, unless they are hatched, will always give you the same ten talents, no matter how many you train. Now i'll try to answer a few possible question.

What talents can pets have (this doesn't include derby talents):

1) Battle stats talents: they give either damage (general damage or of a specific school), resist (general of for a specific school), accuracy (general or for a specific school), power pips chance, health or mana when the pet is equipped. The boost given by the talent depends on its lvl and on the pets' stats (for example, to calculate the damage talent pain-giver you do: (2*strength + 2*will + power)/200).

2) Pet stats talents: they add a specific (only depending on the talent's lvl) amount to one or a few of your pet's maximum stats.

3) ''May cast'' talents: they allow your pet to sometimes cast specific spells in specific conditions. The spell can be a healing spell, an attack spell, a charm, etc. The casting frequence depends on the talent, but it is the same for every pet that learns it. For example, the may cast talent spritely gives your pet 10% chance to cast sprite when anybody in the battle attacks.

4) Cards giving talents: they add a specific spell to your deck when the pet is equipped. It can be a healing spell, an attack spell, a charm, etc.

Which talents are the best:

Pet stats talents are not considered really useful, nor are cards giving ones. According to most people, the best talents are ''may cast'' ones or general stats talents like pain-giver or spell-proof. According to me, the perfect pet has spell-proof, defy and two general stats talents, probably spell-proof and defy.

Does training influence which talents the pet learns:

No. It is pretty much random, even if talents that are higher in the list of learnable talents are more frequently learned.

What is pedigree:

1) Total pedigree: each talent a pet can learn has a lvl (common, uncommon, rare, ultra-rare, epic) which depends on the talent's quality. Each of these lvls corresponds to a number of pedigree points (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). If you put together the points of each of your pets' learnable talents and derby talents (as i said earlier each pet has ten learnable talents and ten learnable derby talents), you will obtain your pets' total pedigree (the one before the parenthesis), which is obviously somewhere between 20 and 100.

2) Learned pedigree: everytime your pets gets to a new lvl of training (teen, adult, ancient, epic), it learns a talents and a derby talent. If you put together the points of each talent and derby talents your pet has learned so far (each pet can learn up to four talents and four derby talents), you obtain its learned pedigree (the one inside the parenthesis). A pet's learned pedigree generally represents 1/10 of its total pedigree per lvl of training.

For example: a teen starfish with 61(6) has a total pedigree of 61 and a learned pedigree of 6.

What is the point of pedigree:

Since you generally judge a talent to its level, pedigree somehow shows the quality of your pet's talents. Total pedigree helps you know what to expect from a pet you wanna train or from a pet you wanna hatch with, while learned pedigree enables you to judge the utility of a trained pet.

How does hatching works:

Hatching takes too pets to create a new one. The pet receives from its parents a specie (either one of the parents' or a new one if it's an hybrid; the specie determines the pet's look and the card it gives so a nightmare pet will always look the same and give a meteor strike card and a starfish will never give any card), talents and derby talents (a random number of both from each parent) and maximum stats (each stat is either one of the parents' or an average of the two).

* Something to know about hatching is you can't get a school pet from another school from hatching. You will automatically end up with your pet of with an hybrid.

How much does hatching cost:

Somewhere between 10 000 gold and like 70 000 gold, depending on the parents' pedigree.

What is the point of hatching:

Hatching enables you to get new pets, sometimes really rare ones, to teach pets new talents, to improve their pedigree or their stats, especially when the parents have learned pet stats talents.

How do hybrids work:

Hatching two pets will almost never result in hybrids. Only some specific matches can create hybrids and most of them include two school pets (for example orthrus and satyr give jade hound). For more information, go to: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Hybrid_Pets

I think that's it. Tell me if you have any question about pet derby, i should be able to answer them.

Thomas Moonbreath, legendary conjurer (and all the Moonbreath brothers)