Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Selfish Storm Minion

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
My littlest wizard, Abigail Wildsong, just got her storm minion at level 18. She took him out for a test drive in the Grand Arena, and he proceeded to: shield himself (twice), cast sprite on himself (3 times), and taunt (once). Is this normal? I mean, does anyone really use this minion? If so, does he ever help at all? Just wondering--he's no longer in the deck, but I would consider putting him back if this performance was a fluke or something.

Tabitha/Abigail

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
My littlest wizard, Abigail Wildsong, just got her storm minion at level 18. She took him out for a test drive in the Grand Arena, and he proceeded to: shield himself (twice), cast sprite on himself (3 times), and taunt (once). Is this normal? I mean, does anyone really use this minion? If so, does he ever help at all? Just wondering--he's no longer in the deck, but I would consider putting him back if this performance was a fluke or something.

Tabitha/Abigail

Yes, the Storm minion is suppose to work that way. It is designed to attract the attention of enemies from the Storm wizard, since the Storm wizard has so few health. Hopefully, the Storm wizard blasts all the enemies before the minion dies.

See this thread for previous complaints on the minion and the solutions/strategies you are suppose to use with the minion. Warning, the storm minion is not for everyone and could be defined as advanced gameplay for Storm wizards.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/29858.ftl#169964

Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
Unfortunately that seems to be the common behavior of the storm minion. Once in a long while it does something useful for you but mostly worthless in my opinion.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
its supposed to be a tank but i agree, it could at least use taunt first instead of using a million sprites and shields on itself first

Survivor
May 26, 2009
nope he's always been like that i don't have the spell but i do have emental minion (the spell is a spell that you have a chance of the fire storm or ice minion) really the ice minion is the best the storm is the worst he does nothing you would thing for a storm minion he wouldn't cast fairy on himself and all he does a little taunt. once i was dying and he cast a fairy on himself!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
marolin23 wrote:
its supposed to be a tank but i agree, it could at least use taunt first instead of using a million sprites and shields on itself first

it has to survive. So it shields and gets sprite running. then, after it taunts it has a good chance to survive well enough to keep taunting.

The storm minion is the BEST minion in the game

You people don't need it to heal you, because if it's working right no one's going to be HITTING you - all the while you will be hitting THEM

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
tabby714 wrote:

Tabitha/Abigail

It's how the storm minion works. Since storm wizards have such low health, the Storm Minion helps by forcing the bad guys to attack it using taunt, and it supports itself with shields and sprites to keep alive on the field as long as possible so the storm wizard can dish out the damage while not getting attacked at all.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Its basically useless. I takes pips to summon, and then it normally shields and taunts after and once it draws attention to itself it normally survives for only a round or two at higher levels. Granted, low level storms have low health, but by the time storm uses its pips and waits for a couple turns for the minion to use taunt its normally too late for it to do storms any good. When the minion dies in a turn or two and it takes a couple turns to recover the pips used then there tends to be a problem. I think myth's mander minion is the best minion in the game, at least it will try to give you your pips back.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
It should be modeled after the minotaur minion. It taunts and taunts and taunts. It does what any minion should be doing...drawing the fire away from you.

By the time the storm minion gets around to taunting, the player has built up too much aggro by attacking the mobs.

As some have mentioned...wait to attack until the minion taunts once? Um, sure, yeah. You're suppossed to wait upwards of 8-9 rounds on occasion to wait for it to taunt. While you are taking damage. And then it taunts. Then the mobs turn on it. Then you attack, producing a lot more aggro than a taunt. The mobs are back on you.

It...doesn't...work!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
HooVooLoo wrote:

It...doesn't...work!

It DOES work. I have a storm legend. He got through almost all battles to get to legend BECAUSE of that minion.

It doesn't take 8 or 9 rounds to start. Almost all of the time it casts shields (1 round), sprite (2nd round), taunt (3rd) round.

And what should YOU the PLAYER be doing while it's setting uP. Not attacking (fool). YOU should be either building pips or putting up shields yourself (yeah, you know, shields. those things that protect you?).

Too many people play storm without any regard for the fact that it is a class that dies easy. Low health, not the best resistance. You have to protect yourself before you hit.

And what of the enemies on the other side? At low level they're hitting. By the time you get that minion they're not that low in level and they're NOT hitting the first couple rounds either (or at least mostly aren't). They're building pips for attack.

If you play it RIGHT (you apparently do not) you very rarely get hurt, and if you do, you have more than enough time to heal since as soon as it starts taunting, they stop hitting YOU - leaving you free to (gasp) play a pixie or other card (you do carry those, right?)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Here is how I make the Storm minion work for me:

Put at least four minions in my deck (increase chance of drawing minion on first round).

1.) Cast minion (very easy once you get to Wysteria and get the extra pip wand). If not, Shield then wait for 3 pips.

2.) Shield (Tower is best, but this is where amulets with shields are really helpful. Treasure shield if you need to.

3.) Shield (0 pip spell)

4.) Blade or Trap (0 pip spell)

5.) Blade or Trap (0 pip spell)

Decision time: If the minion has not taunted yet, I heal with Pixie (a minion taunt will remove 1 pixie aggro). Or use the 2 pip Soothe spell to force aggro to the minion (target is the boss or the enemy doing the most damage). But usually, the minion has Taunted by the fourth round, so I don't need to do either. Because once the minion taunts and I have done zero damage, the enemies will not attack me again unless my minion dies or I attack them (so no need to even heal).

Now I continue to build pips again. This time with the goal of either killing all the enemies in one shot or two. 0 pip blades are usually the best option to quickly defeat the enemies that are mowing down your minion at this point, but shields are ok because when the enemies come after me, they come after me hard. I also invest 1 training point into the Minion Shield spell from Krokotopia. I can spam this over and over on my minion while building a ton of pips and the minion is only taking 30% damage from the enemies at the same time.

As soon as I have enough blades, traps and pips to destroy "all" the enemies, I cast an AoE spell. If my minion is about to die, I sacrifice the minion for more pips and now I usually have enough pips for a very strong Tempest or bring out a fresh minion. Storm Lord is another good option if the enemies can be stunned since it allows for another pip build round with blade and a Tempest to finish off after that.

I use slight variations to this with different scenarios, like bosses (where the continous sacrifice option is better for me). Remember gear plays a huge part in this strategy too (max health or healing boost or damage boost).

The key to using the storm minion with a storm wizard is not attacking until you are ready to completely destroy your opponents. Attacking the enemies "with" your minion doesn't work (the storm minion will never compete with your aggro that way). Remember, if your minion doesn't have aggro, it is useless. You also have to shield yourself every turn, until the minion has aggro, then work on blading and increasing damage afterwards. Yes, most fights I walk away with low health, but I have never needed to use a henchman in mandatory solo fights (like the Wintertusk spell quests). A 14 pip Storm wizard should have no problems defeating two enemies within two rounds, including bosses (even if your minion is dead at this point). And yes, numerous times I have achieved 13-14 pips while using a storm minion. With the right help from the storm wizard, a storm minion can last more than 7 rounds.

I have never had a minion wait 9 rounds to cast Taunt (if it does, it's probably bugged). I agree that the Minotaur is a better tank (much better). If I have that treasure card, I use it (costs 1 pip more sometimes). It has the same health, but taunts and survives much easier (some cases longer and good for boss fights).

KI designed the Storm minion to do exactly what it does. It has been doing that for three years now. The only changes to the minion were last year when the ability to cast Elemental Shield and Sprite on others was introduced and it added the Storm trap spell to the deck. It still remained a selfish minion (it is designed that way), but I personally think the 2010 change was to encourage minion use in group situations (those that already have a tank). The storm minion will never attack like the ice minion nor heal like the life minion. If you want that, get those treasure cards and use them!!!

Historian
May 01, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
HooVooLoo wrote:

It...doesn't...work!

It DOES work. I have a storm legend. He got through almost all battles to get to legend BECAUSE of that minion.

It doesn't take 8 or 9 rounds to start. Almost all of the time it casts shields (1 round), sprite (2nd round), taunt (3rd) round.

And what should YOU the PLAYER be doing while it's setting uP. Not attacking (fool). YOU should be either building pips or putting up shields yourself (yeah, you know, shields. those things that protect you?).

Too many people play storm without any regard for the fact that it is a class that dies easy. Low health, not the best resistance. You have to protect yourself before you hit.

And what of the enemies on the other side? At low level they're hitting. By the time you get that minion they're not that low in level and they're NOT hitting the first couple rounds either (or at least mostly aren't). They're building pips for attack.

If you play it RIGHT (you apparently do not) you very rarely get hurt, and if you do, you have more than enough time to heal since as soon as it starts taunting, they stop hitting YOU - leaving you free to (gasp) play a pixie or other card (you do carry those, right?)

I love my minotaur minion for the exact same reason. Also i love him because except for the few mend minions, I can completely ignore it. Also, remember, everyone has different play styles. You sound like you have had an ice or another defensive school along with your storm, so you have learned patience, others may not have. Remember, even though your opinions may be different, there is no need to jump on them, or be rude to them. (In other words, most of the stuff in parentheses)

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
HooVooLoo wrote:

It...doesn't...work!

Well, it doesn't work for balance, how's that?. I know it is suppossed to be the same minion, but maybe the 4 pip version is busted, because while storm gets it at level 18 and it might be useful, it just didn't do what it was suppossed to when I got it at level 38.

It's not like I don't know how to work with minions. Myth was my first legend, and I used them at the appropriate times to solo dungeons most folks ask for help with.

*shrugs*

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
HooVooLoo wrote:

It...doesn't...work!

I have a Storm Legend also. I also find that the Storm minion is worthless.. TO ME... To others it may work.

I guess it works for you crystalwizard12345 and more power to you.
But YOU are being selfish and just down right arrogant.

There is no wrong way to play.

Personal opinion here. Storm and Death minions are flat out dumb. Fire, Ice, Balance and Life are all worthwhile in my book. Why, you ask. They all attack and shield in various ways, and the Fire casts sprites, while Life obviously heals. But Minions don't even begin to compare to Henchmen. That is another post though.

To all the "minion users", you don't have to use what you are given. Experiment and find out what is best for you. And remember, there is no WRONG way to play. That is the beauty of this game. If something doesn't work, try something else. It's a learning experience.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Thanks for the tips--and commiseration! I was perplexed by this minion because my first wizard (now level 60) was Myth, so I'm pretty familiar with minions in general. I wondered why the storm minion wasn't more like the Minotaur, which has a similar M0--i.e, taunt and shield. Except that the Minotaur seldom heals--himself or me--and taunts a lot more often than the storm guy. Minotaur basically just throws towers on himself, taunts, repeat until victory or death. As far as the storm minion goes, I thought all the sprite-casting was excessive, and the taunting insufficient. As a basic minion strategy I can see the logic--but this one seemed like he needed tweaking. Fewer sprites, more taunts. I'm fine with the shielding.

Kingurz, you are correct that minions are pretty much for "advanced gameplay"--that's true in the Myth school at higher levels, too. I had a friend show me how to work with Talos the other day, using all those minion cards myth wizards get but seldom use. It was a different way of playing, for sure. Not sure I'm advanced enough :? --I say that without irony. I like to get in and get out, asap. Using minions prolongs most battles, and takes patience as well as a somewhat refined strategy. Not there yet, but I'll work with Norman (yeah, I had to name him--Stormin' Norman :-) ) a bit more before I put him on the shelf for good.

Tabitha/Abigail

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
HooVooLoo wrote:
Well, it doesn't work for balance, how's that?. I know it is suppossed to be the same minion, but maybe the 4 pip version is busted, because while storm gets it at level 18 and it might be useful, it just didn't do what it was suppossed to when I got it at level 38.

It's not like I don't know how to work with minions. Myth was my first legend, and I used them at the appropriate times to solo dungeons most folks ask for help with.

*shrugs*

HooVooLoo,

I agree completely with the Water Elemental being much less effective with a Balance Wizard and I dread drawing that minion. Even without the costly extra pip required from a Balance, it is still not a good fit. As you can see with my strategy above, it doesn't work with Balance. Balance doesn't generate nearly enough damage to do that strategy. The Water Elemental has it's uses with Balance sometimes (like with Luska, since it never attacks, but "occasionally" provides you with Elemental shields and Healing). But overall, the Balance wizard has plenty of survival spells and doesn't need someone constantly taking the hits for them. The Ice minion is a better fit with Balance, because of all the support spells a Balance wizard can throw on that very destructive minion or at the enemies to slow them down. However, to me, the mander minion is the best one out of all of them. 1.) I know exactly what I'm getting 2.) It is cheaper on the pips 3.) The mander is all about giving.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
dragonpfyre219 wrote:
There is no wrong way to play.

Personal opinion here. Storm and Death minions are flat out dumb. Fire, Ice, Balance and Life are all worthwhile in my book. Why, you ask. They all attack and shield in various ways, and the Fire casts sprites, while Life obviously heals. But Minions don't even begin to compare to Henchmen. That is another post though.

To all the "minion users", you don't have to use what you are given. Experiment and find out what is best for you. And remember, there is no WRONG way to play. That is the beauty of this game. If something doesn't work, try something else. It's a learning experience.

Agreed.

I know plenty of Storm wizards that prefer to attack so fast, they don't even bother with the minion. I also agree on your point on personal preference. Out of all the minions, I dislike the fire minion the most. Why? I personally like to one shot or two shot enemies and I use traps to accomplish that. Well, the Fire minion always eats up my traps (Feint, Fuel, Fire Trap, you name it)!!!! However, if you are a fire wizard that prefers to DoT your opponents, then the Fire minion is a great addition. It is all in how you prefer to play, but generally speaking it takes more experience and learning to use minions effectively than not. That's why more people are turned off by the Myth school than any other reason.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
I wondered why the storm minion wasn't more like the Minotaur, which has a similar M0--i.e, taunt and shield. Except that the Minotaur seldom heals--himself or me--and taunts a lot more often than the storm guy. Minotaur basically just throws towers on himself, taunts, repeat until victory or death. As far as the storm minion goes, I thought all the sprite-casting was excessive, and the taunting insufficient. As a basic minion strategy I can see the logic--but this one seemed like he needed tweaking. Fewer sprites, more taunts. I'm fine with the shielding.

Tabby714,

My simple guess at the difference? KI didn't want Storm that powerful. Let me remind you, I "love" Minotaur minion treasure cards with my storm. The Minotaur deprives me of any worries of my health getting too low. It consistently Towers then Taunts (and then messes things up, by occasionally doing other stuff, but oh well). If storm is allowed to build pips, it creates havoc. I believe KI intends the storm minion to be faulty on the taunting to occasionally force the storm wizard to pixie or something similiar. If your minion always has aggro, then the most damaging school in the game has free reign to destroy with little to lose. The solo ability is much more tremendous if given the same coding as the Minotaur. Since the storm minion is always healing itself, it has to keep the "initial" aggro longer. Whereas a Minotaur can get the aggro back very easily.

The only better aggro maintainer that I've seen is the Henchmen (but those aren't free... :( ).

An example to other games. If the Storm wizard is the equivilant to a regular wizard in other MMOs (ones with warriors, rogues, etc), then those wizards can dish out a lot of magical damage, but usually at the price of a root type spell holding. To me, the storm minion is an unreliable root spell. You have a small window to make big things happen. Whereas your Summoners, Mages, etc in other games have less magical power than wizards, but their minions provide greater protection (like the Myth School).

Why is the storm minion also one of the most hated minions? Well, it does nothing for you in PvP. All the other minions, except maybe Minotaur, will at least assist you some way in the arena. The storm minion does not. So it gets a bad repitoire for that too. Many storm wizards want the same advantages that other school minions provide them.

Just my two crowns anyways....

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
its not meant to do like 800 damage. The storm wizard doesnt have a lot of health. It draws attention away from you and towards it thats its job. It protects itslef so it can help you more and as for the second you hit you draw aggro thats not true I have a storm wiz up to wintertusk because that minion. Ice has a hard hitting one because they dont do much damage and us fire wizards have one that fits our school. You dont understand its use then dont use it your not forced to, but you'll have an easier time I garuntee if you do use it. Stop whining its one of the best minions in the game.

Aaron Drakewalker Legendary Pyromancer

Champion
May 03, 2011
Stop whining its one of the best minions in the game.

I am sorry that you cannot tell the difference between an honest query as to the usefulness of this minion, and a "whine." If you read my original comment, I was asking for some clarification. I had only used the minion once, and was confused as to its purpose. I was not whining.

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
Stop whining its one of the best minions in the game.

I am sorry that you cannot tell the difference between an honest query as to the usefulness of this minion, and a "whine." If you read my original comment, I was asking for some clarification. I had only used the minion once, and was confused as to its purpose. I was not whining.

When I said stop whining I didnt mean you I was talking about the other posts with people actually complaining. Funny how you just assume I was just talking about you.

Aaron Drakewalker Legendary Pyromancer

P.S. You should make the thread right away if you just used it once. Give it a few goes on bosses or harder monsters you'll see how useful it is.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Storm minions dont do much so ya if you hate it my storm buddies dont blame ya. Its not the best minion out there because a minotaur myth minion does even better by taunting more often and has tower shields. I personally love my fire minion. Its an unselfish minion. It heals other and shields and smokes the enemies (am i overselling it) and weakens the enemy a bit. It got me out of pinches( like bosses who love to shield or are fire resistant). I am not saying storm minions are the worst and fire minions dominate, but that storm minions just try to help their master by diverting attention. ( in weaker worlds taunt grabs the monster attention, medium worlds the damage does so its useless in mooshu, harder worlds its better because the monsters are attracted by damage taunt and healing) hope this answers any lingering questions