Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

May Cast...someday, but not today

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
So I finally got a pet with Spritely. I was thrilled, of course. My Scarecrow got it at teen, which I was sure meant that he was going to be super-talented in many areas. :-) We've fought about ten battles since then, and I have yet to see a single sprite. Do I have to prove myself worthy of Sprite-ing, or something? Does the battle have to last a certain length of time? Or, to put it another way: does "may cast" also imply "may seldom, if ever, cast?" As another example, my Humongofrog gives me Myth blades. Yes, he does. But only when the battle's over! He does cast them, but they are mostly worthless.

Now a few weeks ago I fought those pylon bosses in CL with some very experienced wizards who all had awesome hybrid pets. These super-pets were obviously an entire different species from my pets, because they Cast all the time...sprites, blades, traps, etc. It was partially because of this pet-envy that I decided to Get Serious About Pets. My question, in a nutshell: does repeated hatching ensure not only talents, but the frequency that they manifest in battle? Because my pets, while talented, are obviously lazy. :( If this keeps up, I'm not giving them any more snacks!

Tabitha

Survivor
Sep 05, 2008
Well I had a Utility Dragon that learned Spritely at teen. I was super excited, but i soon discovered it never casted it. But when I trained it to adult, it cast it more, ancient more, epic, even more. So now that my pet is epic, it casts it all the time! So all you need is to train it up a bit and then it should work.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
A pet casting sprite is supposedly random, but I have noticed mine casts it more often when i am fighting with a group. When alone, the sprites are few and far between.

There is really nothing you can do to increase the chances of them casting sprite (at least not to my knowledge).

Hannah Lifebringer level 60 Life

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
So I finally got a pet with Spritely. I was thrilled, of course. My Scarecrow got it at teen, which I was sure meant that he was going to be super-talented in many areas. :-) We've fought about ten battles since then, and I have yet to see a single sprite. Do I have to prove myself worthy of Sprite-ing, or something? Does the battle have to last a certain length of time? Or, to put it another way: does "may cast" also imply "may seldom, if ever, cast?" As another example, my Humongofrog gives me Myth blades. Yes, he does. But only when the battle's over! He does cast them, but they are mostly worthless.

Now a few weeks ago I fought those pylon bosses in CL with some very experienced wizards who all had awesome hybrid pets. These super-pets were obviously an entire different species from my pets, because they Cast all the time...sprites, blades, traps, etc. It was partially because of this pet-envy that I decided to Get Serious About Pets. My question, in a nutshell: does repeated hatching ensure not only talents, but the frequency that they manifest in battle? Because my pets, while talented, are obviously lazy. :( If this keeps up, I'm not giving them any more snacks!

Tabitha

they lowered the spritely a bit but remember spritely is random just like hoard packs

Armiger
May 10, 2010
May cast talents are based upon 3 stats...

Pay attention, class is now in session...

First: Agility
Second: Will
Third: Power

Now, if you have all 3 of these stats at 250, your pet will cast like crazy!
if they are at 225, they cast pretty good, 200 once in a while, and below 200 is really hoping it will once in a great while!

So, boost your stats and the May Cast talents will work more often...

Champion
May 03, 2011

if they are at 225, they cast pretty good, 200 once in a while, and below 200 is really hoping it will once in a great while!

Okay, this is what I thought too. So I did an experiment with my Flame Toad. I trained each category separately, even doing the games I'm lousy at. I chose snacks for their specific qualities (Will, Agility, etc) and used them with the game that was specific to that stat. As a result, I maxed out every stat on her about 200 points before reaching Epic. At that point, I just trained for experience (it was disconcerting to score a "Perfect" and then have the message "your pet has not improved" btw.). But, with every stat at max, she has yet to cast a single blade or trap, her "may cast" talents. Seriously, I haven't seen one. So frankly, I am starting to think that these stats are just smoke and mirrors. I think every talent and its frequency of use is probably pre-programmed into the egg. Training only unlocks the talents that are there, and the frequency of their expression in battle is probably some other pre-ordained algorithm. I really doubt, based on this little test, that training these specific stats has ANY effect on the pet's performance or talents.

I would love to hear from people who have evidence to the contrary, though. I'm not happy with my conclusion, and hope it's wrong. :?

Tabitha

Defender
Mar 06, 2010
i don't believe in the stat thing but i think that it is triggered (or has a better chance of being triggered) after certain spells are used.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
tabby714 wrote:

Okay, this is what I thought too. So I did an experiment with my Flame Toad. I trained each category separately, even doing the games I'm lousy at. I chose snacks for their specific qualities (Will, Agility, etc) and used them with the game that was specific to that stat. As a result, I maxed out every stat on her about 200 points before reaching Epic. At that point, I just trained for experience (it was disconcerting to score a "Perfect" and then have the message "your pet has not improved" btw.). But, with every stat at max, she has yet to cast a single blade or trap, her "may cast" talents. Seriously, I haven't seen one. So frankly, I am starting to think that these stats are just smoke and mirrors. I think every talent and its frequency of use is probably pre-programmed into the egg. Training only unlocks the talents that are there, and the frequency of their expression in battle is probably some other pre-ordained algorithm. I really doubt, based on this little test, that training these specific stats has ANY effect on the pet's performance or talents.

I would love to hear from people who have evidence to the contrary, though. I'm not happy with my conclusion, and hope it's wrong. :?

Tabitha

Well, if you have Agility, will, and power all at 200, then your pet will Rarely use his/her may cast talents...

Now, even if you keep training them, their max is the max they can get... You much hatch with a pet that has higher stats to impove the maximum a stat can get...

You want all stats to be 250 max... If you can do that, your pet will be like a Sea Dragon and healing and casting spells all the time...

Survivor
Mar 21, 2011
I may be imagining it, but I have noticed that my pets that have both spritely AND 'attentive' seem to be better healers. Could be my imagination. It also seems that spritely is contagious: if I'm in a battle and my friends' pets throw a sprite, it is likely that all the pets will do it. It turns into a healing festival. :-)

Champion
May 03, 2011
Well, if you have Agility, will, and power all at 200, then your pet will Rarely use his/her may cast talents...

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I maxed out every stat on my Flame Toad, as high as they would go on the chart. That happened when I was at about 800 experience points, i.e., 200 short of Epic. And still it didn't affect the low cast rate...so it seems that it doesn't really matter if you train to max out the stats or not. What will be, will be...

But to update this thread, my Scarecrow is now Sprite-ing me fairly often. :-) But my Flame Toad has yet to give me a shield or trap. :(

Armiger
May 10, 2010
tabby714 wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I maxed out every stat on my Flame Toad, as high as they would go on the chart. That happened when I was at about 800 experience points, i.e., 200 short of Epic. And still it didn't affect the low cast rate...so it seems that it doesn't really matter if you train to max out the stats or not. What will be, will be...

But to update this thread, my Scarecrow is now Sprite-ing me fairly often. :-) But my Flame Toad has yet to give me a shield or trap. :(

Ok, apparently I am not being clear...

It does not matter, if you have 1 out of a maximum of 250 will...
1 out of a maximum of 250 agility...
or 1 out of a maximum of 250 power...

If you have the maximum stats of 250, your pet will cast very often...

If your maximum stat is 200 on all of those, it will rarely cast...

You need to have at least 2 of those stats close to 250 to cast often...

Now, that does not mean you have to have them 250/250, but you must have the cap of 250... understand?

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I think i read somewhere that the trigger for 'may cast blade' is attacking, so if you're setting up for one hit kills, and your battle is usually over with one attack, that might be why the pet only casts blades after the battle is over... but i could be wrong.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2011

How much does one talent affect the casting?

If Agility Will and Power are all maxed at 220 thats 660 total
and it would cast spritely pretty good

at 200 each or 600 total would cast at an OK rate

So if Will is 200 Power 250 but Agility is only 175 that totals 625
which would fall in OK range

or does one low this case Agility affect the casting more?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
lisbon7080 wrote:

How much does one talent affect the casting?

If Agility Will and Power are all maxed at 220 thats 660 total
and it would cast spritely pretty good

at 200 each or 600 total would cast at an OK rate

So if Will is 200 Power 250 but Agility is only 175 that totals 625
which would fall in OK range

or does one low this case Agility affect the casting more?

Actually, you are pretty close to how this is calculated... Not exact, but pretty close...

If you take Agility and Will and add them together, then multiply by 2, then you add in Power, that is the base number of how often your pet will cast... Not sure exactly the number is that you divide by to find the percentage for may cast spells, but, I can help you on Spell Proof, Spell defy, etc...

For Spell Proof and Spell Defy, you take strength and add agility, then multiply by 2, add in power, then divide by 125 for Spell Proof or divide by 250 for spell defy...

For Spell Proof, if you have 9.5 or greater, you will have 10 spell proof.
For Spell Defy, if you have 4.5 or greater, you will have 5 spell defy.

Hope this helps and gives you a better understanding of the stats!

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
To make things less complicated, according to Wizard101 Central Wiki, your pet will cast Sprite only 10% of the time after you attack an enemy.

However, it seems to be false due to my experiences of loooonnnggggg battles because of pets spamming Spritely.