Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to get spritely in 3 easy steps

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
Hello!
Yep, a lot of people say they cannot get spritely no matter what they do.
But, I have trained 1 pet to ancient, 1 to adult, and 1 to teen (the teen i'm trying to level up to epic.) the adult and the teen both have spritely. How did I accomplish this? Well the same way most other people who have it got it.

1. Get a pet you KNOW has a possibility of getting spritely.
2. Play all of the pet games, because each one appeals to either Agility, Will, Strength, or Intellect. Try to make all of the pets talent in these 4 categories even.
3. Put a lot of emphasis, but not all of it, on Agility and Will, because that determines if the pet will get talents like or similar to spritely.

There you go. That is the baseline. If you are still having trouble after this, follow the 3 steps again, but if the pet does not have spritely by Adult, put it in your house, and follow it again. Also level it up as quickly as possible.
There you go. I am not saying this is garunteed to get you pet spritely, but you chances will probably have increased.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Nicitas wrote:

3. Put a lot of emphasis, but not all of it, on Agility and Will, because that determines if the pet will get talents like or similar to spritely.

How do you know, stated as a matter-of-fact, that this is indeed true?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
This is not a fact...

Sorry, but the games and snacks you play and feed your pet, have no effect on which talents will manifest...

In fact, the talents your pet will get, are predetermined the moment your egg hatches...

They will not change, no matter what you do... They are set and that is exactly what you will get in the order that they come... You can't see them until you reach that level, being teen, adult, ancient, and epic... But they are already known by the computer...

Explorer
Jan 03, 2010
darthjt wrote:
This is not a fact...

Sorry, but the games and snacks you play and feed your pet, have no effect on which talents will manifest...

In fact, the talents your pet will get, are predetermined the moment your egg hatches...

They will not change, no matter what you do... They are set and that is exactly what you will get in the order that they come... You can't see them until you reach that level, being teen, adult, ancient, and epic... But they are already known by the computer...

Actually, if you read the definition of stuff like agility, and will... it tells you, if that talent is raised higher, what talent the pet has a higher chance of achieving. I think. :P

Champion
May 03, 2011

This has been my strong suspicion as well, because the programming involved in making pet talents a matter of training, rather than original code, would simply be too complex. I suspect that training in these specific categories (will, intellect, etc.) can strengthen an existing manifested talent provided it's quantifiable--like increase your damage boost from 5% to 6% or something. But I suspect that's as far as it goes. In other words, it's all nature, and only a tiny bit nurture. :?

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
darthjt wrote:

What he said...

I have heard that if you spin your avatar around three times exactly 30 seconds before your egg hatches, you will definitely get spritely. But you also have to be wearing a beaver pelt hat and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in real life while you do this. Any kind of fruit jelly preserves should work.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
matty960 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
This is not a fact...

Actually, if you read the definition of stuff like agility, and will... it tells you, if that talent is raised higher, what talent the pet has a higher chance of achieving. I think. :P

Actually, what those are stating, is if you get a talent like pain giver, by increasing the stats, Strength, Will, and Power, you will increase the damage boost of that talent... So, you start out at 1% damage boost, and increase those stats, depending on how high your stats are, you can take that damage boost up to 6%...

Same goes with accuracy, except you will have to boost Intelligence, Agility, and Power!

Training in those areas will not give you one of those talents, they only boost the talents that your pet will receive...

I can prove this to be true, that talents are predetermined, but if I state how, that might be considered spoiler information...

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
fyi hint for scarecrow to get spritely train it in pet cannon game in DS and feed it cauliflower. DS cannon game will give you a high chance of spritely no matter what school of pet but idk what snacks

Armiger
May 10, 2010
hanable33 wrote:
fyi hint for scarecrow to get spritely train it in pet cannon game in DS and feed it cauliflower. DS cannon game will give you a high chance of spritely no matter what school of pet but idk what snacks

Ok, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, oh wait, no I don't...

Let me state this again... You can jump up and down, eat peanut butter and jelly, dance, sing, feed your pet donuts, coffee, milk, candy, steak, play any and every mini game, it does not help you get Spritely on your pet...

Try and understand this... The moment your pet hatches from it's egg... The talents are set... It knows what talents it will get... It knows what order the pet will get those talents... It knows the teen talent, the adult talent, the ancient talent, and the epic talent... And no matter what you do, you cant change a talent that it is going to get, no matter what games you play or what snacks you feed your pet... Your Pet will get the exact same talents that are set when it hatched...

Nothing, will change that!

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
darthjt wrote:
I can prove this to be true, that talents are predetermined, but if I state how, that might be considered spoiler information...

Don't bother, darth. No matter how often I try to squash the rumor, some people will always believe in their heart of hearts that picking up the pearl in WW will mean you won't get a legend gear drop from the Sylster fight.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2008
It's possible to verify for yourself how it works without having to take somebody else's word for it.

Take an untrained pet that you have and raise it first on test. Make note of which stats you raise and in what order, and what talents your pet manifests and in what order.

Then take the same pet in the real game and do it completely differently, in a completely different order.

See if the results you get are the same, or different according to how you raised it.

Actually going through the process of doing it and seeing it for yourself will help you understand how it works in ways that other people can't always explain to you. It will help you clarify your understanding so you know what to focus on in pet training (or not) and whether or not you're wasting your time and energy on the methods you're using now.

Hope this helps.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Nicitas wrote:
Hello!
Yep, a lot of people say they cannot get spritely no matter what they do.
But, I have trained 1 pet to ancient, 1 to adult, and 1 to teen (the teen i'm trying to level up to epic.) the adult and the teen both have spritely. How did I accomplish this? Well the same way most other people who have it got it.

1. Get a pet you KNOW has a possibility of getting spritely.
2. Play all of the pet games, because each one appeals to either Agility, Will, Strength, or Intellect. Try to make all of the pets talent in these 4 categories even.

There you go. That is the baseline. If you are still having trouble after this, follow the 3 steps again, but if the pet does not have spritely by Adult, put it in your house, and follow it again. Also level it up as quickly as possible.
There you go. I am not saying this is garunteed to get you pet spritely, but you chances will probably have increased.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Step 2 and 3 are actually incorrect. That's not how pets get their talents. You can try all you want to boost up power but never get Pain giver. The way that the pet gains its talents is by random. If you boost up your pets stats, say you got spell proof. It starts at 1 resist if you don't boost the 2 stats that boost resistance. And it's the same for pain giver: If the power and (I forget the next one that meets up with power) the other talent that boosts damage are high, pain giver will not boost by 1, but by 2+. That's how the pets get high resist and stuff because of how the wizards trained them.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Actually darthjt is right, the pet stats don't choose the skill for you, but if you get something that boosts damage/resist/accuracy/pip chance, that if you hover the mouse over the talent, and boost that talent that describes the skill, your pet will give you a higher amount of that boost.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2011
I am fairly new to Wizard101, but even with that I have some advice on this matter.
I recently ran into another wizard who explained to me about spritely, and how she managed to get that talent for more than two dozen of her pets.

First, the talents are not predetermined at hatching. One of the posts said it would be to complicated a program to have it so that your training made a difference, not so.
Not if each talent was set on a percentile range for all the stats. The computers would just scan the pets stats and figure what talent qualifies at those percents, then the pet gains that one talent and power.
The wizard I spoke with charted her training for her pets and when she came across one that gained spritely, she made note of the exact levels of the stats. She then put it to the test with other pets that she knew could gain spritely or suspected that they could and was able to successfully gain the talent with them, by matching the percentages of the stats exactly.
She was even able to do the same thing with unicorn spell that some pets can cast, and then she hatched, and trained the babies so that they were able to gain spritely or unicorn respectively.
It seems to me that the percentage ranges are preset for each talent and power by the game creators, not at random by the computer at hatching.
After all if it was determined at random at hatching then she has to be amazingly lucky to have been able to get more than two dozen pets with spritely or unicorn, and the fact that all of her pets that had spritely had exactly the same percentage values on their stats could not have had anything to do with it.
She was able to give me the percentage values for strength, intellect, agility, will, and power for spritely for a teen pet that can gain that talent, I applied it to training my baby fierce hound and when he became a teen. he gained spritely.
I would call that proof.
The only thing the games do is help get you to the right percentages, if you know what percentages to target. If you pay close attention to the benefits to the stats to the pets in all the games and areas, none of them are repeated exactly. Each one of the four games focuses primarily on a different stat of the pets, and each of the five game areas in that one game seperate the points in a different way, with no two alike.
Your pet also receives different bonuses from pet snacks. Allowing you to move your pet to the unknown percentage that will determine their next talent and power.
So to a point most of the posts here are partially right and partially wrong. In my opinion, and my observations.
The best way to gain spritely is to track the stats of your pets and when you find one that gets it, make a note of it, and repeat the process for yourself, just make sure the percentages match.
The pet games you play and the snacks you feed them only make a difference in the numbers, which is what the computers go by.
I won't give the percentages here.

Champion
May 03, 2011
First, the talents are not predetermined at hatching. One of the posts said it would be to complicated a program to have it so that your training made a difference, not so.

With all due respect, I would not come to any conclusions based on anecdotal evidence provided by one person. If you look at pet snacks, you will see that different school snacks will boost different stats. Some school snacks will give you very few points in agility, for example--but a pet with low agility scores can still get Spritely, or whatever. It has NOTHING TO DO with stat numbers, and everything to do with the pet's predetermined set of talents. Raising stats can boost percentages for talents that are percentage-based, like pip chance or spell-proof. But that's it.

I don't quite understand what you are suggesting here, vis a vis percentages, etc., so maybe I am misreading your post. But I think it's disingenuous to suggest that any pet can get any talent if you train it correctly. Many, many people who have been playing this game for a long time (longer than either of us) will tell you, based on empirical evidence, not hearsay, that this is incorrect. Any pet can get any talent through hatching, however. This is true.

But please don't continue spreading the mistaken notion that you can "make" a pet get a certain talent through training. This is wrong, and leads many kids to train pets that will never get good talents because the pedigree is too low. Example: if you want your yellow elf to get spritely, train it to adult and hatch it with a pet that has spritely. That's the only way to do it. Don't train it to epic and keep hoping that playing certain games, or feeding certain snacks, will do the trick. (Everyone knows that Fierce Hounds are programmed to get spritely, btw. So that's not a good test case for her theory.)

I am sure other wizards will back me up here.

Again, with all due respect, your wizard friend is either mistaken, or willfully misleading you on the subject of pet talents. If you are determined to prove her right, then get yourself a low pedigree pet like a first-generation piggle, and try out her theory. You will never, ever get spritely on this pet. Unless you hatch it with your hound--then maybe. But you can't draw conclusions from one person's verbal assertions and one (high-pedigree) pet of your own. That's just not good science.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
How to get Spritely in 3 Easy Steps:
Step 1 - Buy a Bundle Card or the Online Epic Bundle
Step 2 - Redeem the Pet
Step 3 - Train the Pet to Teen.

This will result in a 100% Chance of getting the Spritely Talent.

Epic Bundle - Death Pet
Mega Bundle - Balance Pet (N/A ATM)
Super Bundle - Life Pet
Hawk Bundle - Storm Pet

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Its seems the only entity not posting information that should be considered fact is the only reliable. KI, why so vague on pet development? You see posts simliar to this and others with similiar questions and comments, and there is dead silence from the professors. I could of course have missed important notices with such information posted. But if they exsisted, conversations such as the one happening here could refer to these much needed sources of guidance and we would all know for certain.

Like does saying "Good Boy" really and truly cause a pet to cast the spell more frequently or not. There is about 1000 more questions that are left in the realm of speculation filled with statements of people who sound like they are staff, but only really know what has been posted by the KI team, which isnt very much.

Why?

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Just speaking from now, on what I have seen, My brother, he trained his pet on only agility, and as soon as it hit teen, it had a spritely. So train in only agility if you desire :)
Other than that, Good luck!
See ya in the spiral!

Champion
May 03, 2011
I believe the reason that KI doesn't weigh in on this definitively is that the information is out there for anyone who will take the time to look for it. One of the W101 fansites, the Petnome Project (you can look this up, I don't have the link at hand here) has recorded the "petnome" ( a play on "genome") of nearly every first-generation pet. How do they do this? By asking players to send screenshots of their pet talents. Now this would never work if each pet didn't get the exact same set of potential talents as every other pet of the same type. Each Yuletide Spirit, for example, can get Unicorn in slot 8 (or whatever--I can't remember the exact slot). Every first-generation pet of a certain type has the same set of potential talents. Exactly.

The randomness comes in when you train your pet. You don't know which of these talents will manifest. That, too, is preordained--but you don't find out what the talents will be until training. All you have to do is get your pet to teen, adult, ancient, and epic. It matters not at all which games you play to do this, or which liked/loved snacks you feed. The talents will be the same. No matter how you train, or which category (agility, will etc.) is higher. You can raise the percentages on quantifiable talents, but that is all--and even these have limits, based on the pet's pedigree. But that's another topic...

But my point is this: these are empirically-verified facts. You can't train to "get" talents. If this were so, KI would make much less money selling mega-snacks. No one would need to farm for hatching gold, because they could just train their pets a certain way and never have to hatch new, better ones. But KI wants people to work to improve their pets by hatching new ones. It's good business, and kind of fun (in a frustrating way :? )if you are into it.

I really wish people would just accept this and move on. There's no magic, no secret tricks. It's just programming and probability.

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
LOL your pets come with a maximum of 10 possible talents. Each time you train to a new level one of those 10 is randomly picked. While the 10 talents are predetermined, the one you get is not, it's random.

Now some have suggested that what game you play or the snacks you use don't matter because they believe it would be too complicated to program that. Off the top of my head I could program it in about an hour, so I am hoping that KI programmers are just as good as I am and may have done so. If you aren't one of the programmers you don't know what little tricks they may have embedded into training and what they didn't.

Each trait has a certain probability that it will manifest. The probability increases if the trait was one manifested on a parent pet. The probability is also adjusted per pet, which is why nearly all of my sea dragons get spritely. It would be a simple matter to increase the probabilty of a trait based on certain conditions being met during training. So since it would be so easy to do you can not say with a certainty that it was not done and that playing certain games or feeding certain snacks does not influence the outcome.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2009
it was never difficult for me to get spritely... i recomend hatching your pet with someone who has spritely and train it. after that, i hatched again with someone else who had spritely. it was the first talent my pet got. i now have a fifth generation spritely and it was always the first or second talent. so pets talents are not based on what games you play, they're determined when you hatch. so if you want to increase your chances of getting spritely, i would hatch with someone who has it

Explorer
Sep 05, 2011
Agility will and power only increases the chance of your pet casting a spell.