Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Has This Happened To You?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Have you ever had a new mount, say either one of the wyvern mounts, skeletal dragon, or a pegasus, and have others ask to become your friend? And the very next thing they ask is for you to gift them something?

I've tried being polite and telling them I don't gift. Sometimes that's enough. Other times they want to know why you refuse to gift them.

In my way of thinking, that's the "best" way of being dropped quickly from my friends' list. That, and being a bully to others. :(

Cassandra Lionhunter
Iridian Shade
Scarlet Sunflame
Rowan Summerblossum

Survivor
Mar 23, 2010
Yes! My favorite wizard wears the purple fairy wings (her colors (and my two favorite ones as well) are purple and silver so it matches very nicely.) I was about to go fight Lord Nightshade to get at the Obsidian Chest a few days ago and some girl was just leaving. She friended me, and to be nice, I accepted and stopped to talk for a minute since she paused and didn't continue on her way like most people seem to do. She complimented my wings and proceeded to ask me if I had crowns and could I buy her a mount since all she had were the dragon wings she got from the dragon's horde pack. And then wouldn't take no for an answer, even after I said I only gift to my sister. Which is true. I don't gift random people, my money is spent on me and people I know (in this game, only my sister.) She eventually even said if I bought her a mount she'd gift me something back. If she can gift me something as good as a mount back, then she can buy her own mount. Eventually ignoring her worked though and I imagine she moved on to annoy someone else.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Yes, I have had that happen. People on my list occasionally ask for gifts. I say no, I can't gift (a white lie). If they say "why?" I simply don't answer. I don't delete them for this unless it's an ongoing problem. I do delete people for the following:

--Sending repeated "teleport to me" messages without explicitly asking for help, or saying please.
--Asking for help, receiving it, and then porting away without saying thanks
--porting to me in battle without being asked, and then fleeing after they pull in another guy
--gender-based harassment

I've actually deleted people for the first three just this past week! I really don't like deleting people--and I like to help--but the rudeness really burns me and I resent it so much that it doesn't make sense to keep them.

I confess I don't know what's up with the gifting thing. I'd be mortified to ask a virtual stranger to give me something for free. I have, on occasion, wanted to gift a couple people on my list who helped me with a big dungeon--maybe give them some mega-snacks or something--but I'm even uncertain about this. I mean giving something to someone you only know in-game can be weird, too--I'm not sure if they would find that appropriate. So basically I only give stuff to my son and nephew who play.

But that's just me--I guess I'd be interested in hearing how others handle these situations. I mean, does anyone ever get a gift by asking a complete stranger? (Analogously, I used to wonder this about those guys in Paris who constantly hit on female tourists. Surely they must get rejected EVERY time, so why keep it up? :? )

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

I've thought seriously of asking these new friends at the very beginning if they just want to be a friend in hopes that I'll gift them. But that's pre-judging that person and I know I wouldn't want someone to do that to me.

I have gifted a friend or two in the past. Though, unfortunately, it seems to backfire. they will then ask for something else to be gifted. So I just turned that option off and very rarely have I ever felt the urge to turn it on since then.

Seems this is worse when they find out that I'm an adult too. I get the majority of my crowns from gift cards (the pet is a plus ). So I usually just have a few crowns left after taking care of my six wizards needs.

Though, I don't usually mind giving friends some of my treasure cards without expecting anything in return. Polymorph treasure cards.....I wish we could trade those.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Yes! I've had people stop me in my tracks because I thought they had something important to say and they ask me to gift them a mount. What annoys me is my mounts aren't even all that special for the most part.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010

Yes it is a problem. Quite annoying.
This happens a lot, especially to those who have the Wyvern, or Bone Dragon mount.
There must be something about those mounts that scream 'ask me for a gift or crowns!'

I know that the people asking are little kids, which is why Im not rude about it.

During peak kiddie hours I just try not to wear fancy crown items in common areas. You're just asking for it if you do.
Same goes with my pet. My pet is always unequipped before entering the Bazaar.

Maybe Im going too far, but Im so sick and tired of all the beggars and gift requests about my mount and/or pet.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
Yes! It is extremely irritating when i'm trying to play the game. :x

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
It's very annoying and my answer is simply that I don't "gift" anyone period. After the second time of them asking I just ignore and go on my way. I've become very accomplished at "ignoring" a good bit in the game that I may not particulary care for lol.

I do agree that it gets old very quick and I try to avoid going through the commons as much as possible.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
yeah, that kinda sickens me. one time, i had someone asking me to gift him a samoorai. i guess he wanted it badly so i gifted it to him, but i told him if i wasnt nice, i wouldnt do that and made him a promise he shouldnt ask me for gifts again (took a few reminders). that makes me want KI to remove the gifting system itself. can also remove scam attempts, incase someone promises to gift back. it will also take those beggars who are too lazy or greedy to get the items themselves

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
this has happened to me but a different way my friend that i have know for a mounth or so said it was her birthday and asked for me to gift her. i said sorry i dont have crowns then a couple days later she said it was her birthday and told me to gift her i said simply today is you birthday? then she said yes it is i told her that she said the same thing days ago and she paused for a minute and said " umi was kidding last time lol " i didnt find that funny i still have her added but i never gifted her so i think it was never her birthday she just did that so i could gift her :?

Defender
May 31, 2011
I have had that happen to me, too. He asked me via private chat. I wrote back that I do not gift. He promptly teleported to me and ask me why. I happened to be in a battle at the time. Another enemy joined and he promptly left without waiting for an answer. Needless to say he was ignored and removed from my friend's list after that.

As far as the thought that most of these are kids. I was taught at young age (and so were my children) that it is impolite to ask anyone other than family for gifts. These "kids" have either had their education on this subject neglected or they are choosing to ignore it. Either way, I would have not problem in them having being called out on this.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2008
I had a kid do this to me recently as well. He promised to send me a retired item in my gift box if I would buy him a Wyvern's Pack. I called him out on it and didn't mince words about it either.

He didn't like me recognizing his game for what it was and basically responded by telling me off in a very mean and ugly way. But the way he did it, it was clear he was trying to manipulate me into feeling that I was in the wrong and should see things the way he did.

When it didn't work, he changed his tune and wanted to be friends. When I said NO WAY, he told me off again, then changed his tune again and tried to convince me that I had no life if I didn't have friends on the internet. LOL. So I guess I was supposed to need him to complete my life or something.

When that didn't work, he was going to tell all of his friends about me and how I had no life (on the internet, mind you ). He really knew all the right "kid" buttons to push. I said I hope it doesn't make them cry too much! By this point it was really getting funny. It was clear he was determined to 'win' at all costs. I know he was a kid because he mentioned he had to start school in a couple of days.

When that didn't work, he tried the "let's be friends" routine and started talking about what's your favorite color, this is my hobby what's yours, and stuff like that. It was so obvious it was kind of hilarious at this point. I mean by now he's spent well over thirty/close to forty-five minutes shoveling fertilizer - and where is it getting him, even?

It was so entertaining I decided to pretend that I finally fell for his buddy routine and agreed to add him. The next day I put my character on invisible and started playing another account that I was already planning to work on anyway.

I wonder how long it will be before he figures out that he's not as smart as he thinks he is. I think I'll check back in six weeks and see if he's still there.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
To Impishvixen,

Amazing how some people have no shame. LOL I enjoyed reading about your situation. I'm afraid to say that I don't have the patience to "listen" to all the clap-trap these people expect us to listen to and believe.
But the rascals continue to try their tricks.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
ImpishVixen wrote:
I had a kid do this to me recently as well. He promised to send me a retired item in my gift box if I would buy him a Wyvern's Pack. I called him out on it and didn't mince words about it either.

He didn't like me recognizing his game for what it was and basically responded by telling me off in a very mean and ugly way. But the way he did it, it was clear he was trying to manipulate me into feeling that I was in the wrong and should see things the way he did.

When it didn't work, he changed his tune and wanted to be friends. When I said NO WAY, he told me off again, then changed his tune again and tried to convince me that I had no life if I didn't have friends on the internet. LOL. So I guess I was supposed to need him to complete my life or something.

When that didn't work, he was going to tell all of his friends about me and how I had no life (on the internet, mind you ). He really knew all the right "kid" buttons to push. I said I hope it doesn't make them cry too much! By this point it was really getting funny. It was clear he was determined to 'win' at all costs. I know he was a kid because he mentioned he had to start school in a couple of days.

When that didn't work, he tried the "let's be friends" routine and started talking about what's your favorite color, this is my hobby what's yours, and stuff like that. It was so obvious it was kind of hilarious at this point. I mean by now he's spent well over thirty/close to forty-five minutes shoveling fertilizer - and where is it getting him, even?

It was so entertaining I decided to pretend that I finally fell for his buddy routine and agreed to add him. The next day I put my character on invisible and started playing another account that I was already planning to work on anyway.

I wonder how long it will be before he figures out that he's not as smart as he thinks he is. I think I'll check back in six weeks and see if he's still there.

You...you...you impish little vixen you! Funniest post I've read in a long while. Thanks for the laff.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2009
YEA! I bought Wyvern's Hoard 3 times and got the Gold Wyvern mount. People friend me. I mean, level 60 people. Then they whisper to me, "Hey man, can you gift me Wyvern Hoard?" and then i say, "No" and then they say "Why?" and then i have to say "No crowns, sorry!" polietly. Next thing I know, that person is off my friends list.

Champion
Jun 16, 2009
Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
This is exactly why I dont accept any more friends that have a bubble next to their name c:

Sometimes if i've just been dueling or randomly grouped for a quest/dungeon and the person has the common sense to know strategy i'll except a text chatter.

But you cannot go afk in the commons on any kind of sick big crowns mount. You come back to loads of requests that require a click-spam to deny them all.

Of course, turning off friend requesting is an option; but a little too far of one. I still want the good pvpers and players with common sense in duels to friend me, unfortunately the wide majority have to be weeded through first.

It's kind of a shame really, because everytime I say 'i dont have crowns' or 'i buy them to spend them, so i'm out,' i feel like some naive kid (who no fault of their own) is taking it personally.
Because the process is labeled as 'gift' it implies friendly and free.
I'm sure a lot of players dont realize gifting still costs crowns to the gifting player, and not at any discounted rate.

We aren't gifting anything. We are buying them items with real cash. I have no problem gifting to anyone, but I'd do it SO much more if I could gift any of the useless house items i dont have room for, or even seeds. Anything but just treasure cards, or trying to budget another 5-10$ charge on to my card just to read a line of "Thanks" "I like your outfit."

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
yes and most people dont realize that you can get permanent mounts for gold! it costs around 50,000 for the cheapest ans i think 85,000 for the most expensive and each one gives you 40% speed boost

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
ImpishVixen wrote:

lol if you want an easy way to get rid of them hit the ingore button it would save you a bunch of trouble

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
It most certainly has to me. I have the Scary Pumpkin Mask from last year's Halloween. Almost 70% of the time they say "Hi", then ask me "can you gift me that head"? It's quite annoying actually. I tell them if you want a gift, wait till Christmas, then I float away.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
You have no clue! I friended this one girl. She seemed so nice so friendly. Then I go do a boss, and out of no where she goes: " Can you gift me?"
To be friendly I said no (I gift often but not randomly ) Then next day, her friend(also on my list) came up and said "Can you gift me?".Then a whole chain started. I only gift people I know or feel bad for ( I gifted my friends after he died because he died same turn I killed the boss )

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
Yes this is very annoying, and i make use of the ignore button regularly because of it. I wish KI would make begging an offense that can get text chat taken away, just like swearing around the filter.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Yeah. there are a bunch of little kids that run around on this game, and they seem to think that the stuff from the crown shop is something they are entitled to.

They also don't get it that the stuff in the crown shop is bought with real world money.

When people ask me that I just tell them that I never gift when asked. And if they keep it up I remove them from my list and change realms.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
I found a good thing to do is not to accept friend requests unless they are a high level player and we have actually been having a conversation first during a shared experience (battle/dungeon).

For the people that ask me to gift them something - I just laught at them. I say something like, "Ha ha ha ha ha. that was a good one. I'll just take my hard earned money and gift it to you shall I?"

You know what - they smile at me and say something like, "had to try." So they get it and when you are direct without being rude they get that too. :)

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
I have had many ask me for something gifted from the crown shop.
I thought about saying 'i dont gift' like most of you say, but it felt rude so instead I just say 'I barely have any crowns left' or I offer to check my crown balance then tell them I'm almost out. I've gifted minor things to very few people and they hadnt ask and were overwhelmed by the generosity (a 7 day lioness mount and a minion pack (plus some of my minion treasure cards to the minion pack person, they had a do alone dungeon and I so wanted to help and that was all I could think of) someone did get a dragons hoard pack that they politely ask for, but aside from that, when someone asks for the dragon or wyvern pack I tell them the honest truth, I've gotten a few of both and got nothing good, was very disappointed. Did get the bone dragon mount which I'd love to give to someone who wants it if we could trade items like that.
But basically when I say I dont have many crowns, that's a good enough and polite answer and they dont get mad, tho one kid ask me several days in a row if I had gotten more crowns, then finally he went away and havent seen him since.
I hate to say no to people, but I have 2 paid accounts and 6 wizards on one account and 4 on the other so I need what crowns I have, as it is, it pained me to purchase mastery amulets for my 2 highest lvl students, even at the sale price, wont do that again as the sale price was horrible to. And I really want a pegasus or black panther mount (when they come out) and wont be able to afford either.