Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire or Ice?

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I am contemplating making my final baby wizard, and have to choose between ice and fire. Originally I had thought I would choose ice, because it seems more like a strategy school. I finally figured out how to play my Myth (thanks for all the help there, fellow wizards), so I felt ready for more strategic play. But now I am rethinking this, because there are just too many ice mobs at the higher levels--and ice is really hard, even for my Death who has excellent crafted gear and great spells. I just can't see trying to fight these guys with an ice wizard. :(

Yes, if I were a truly awesome player with a eugenically-superpowered pet, maybe. But I am merely a good player and my pets are, so far, only okay. I'm still learning how to hatch for good talents.

So I am leaning toward fire, which seems a lot like storm, play-wise. I.e., not that challenging. (It does come with my favorite pet, though--I really want a Phoenix :-) ) What do you high-level ice players think? Do you find it hard to play in WT and CL, or is there some secret to it I just don't know? (Oh, and I should point out that I don't, nor will I ever, PvP.) Thanks in advance for your input.

Tabitha

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
I am contemplating making my final baby wizard, and have to choose between ice and fire. Originally I had thought I would choose ice, because it seems more like a strategy school. I finally figured out how to play my Myth (thanks for all the help there, fellow wizards), so I felt ready for more strategic play. But now I am rethinking this, because there are just too many ice mobs at the higher levels--and ice is really hard, even for my Death who has excellent crafted gear and great spells. I just can't see trying to fight these guys with an ice wizard. :(

Yes, if I were a truly awesome player with a eugenically-superpowered pet, maybe. But I am merely a good player and my pets are, so far, only okay. I'm still learning how to hatch for good talents.

So I am leaning toward fire, which seems a lot like storm, play-wise. I.e., not that challenging. (It does come with my favorite pet, though--I really want a Phoenix :-) ) What do you high-level ice players think? Do you find it hard to play in WT and CL, or is there some secret to it I just don't know? (Oh, and I should point out that I don't, nor will I ever, PvP.) Thanks in advance for your input.

Tabitha

Fire is sort of a free-hit school with no actual strategy; you just hit, heal, hit, heal, until the bad guy or you die(s). Ice is more of a tactical school, you pave the walkway to the defeat of your foe.

Fire has all these spells that do big bad damage over time, they don't stop for nothing. Ice has weaker spells, but they are extreme with protection and the will of survival and thus can have time to draw a plan to kill the enemy. If you want to just attack and attack until the bad guy or you die(s), then fire or storm is the ideal school for you. If you want to slowly but steadily lay out a (maybe) inevitable death trap, then Ice is for you.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Like you, I also do not PvP.

I have a Legendary Ice Wizard. I also have a Master Fire Wizard. Each has their good and bad points. If you want quicker fights, then by all means pick Fire. If you like tons of health, then pick Ice.

As for strategy, I found that there is more strategy involved with fire than with ice due to the abundance of the DoT's (damage over time).

Ice attacks may seem weak compared to many others, but you have to remember, Ice has the health too withstand A LOT of damage. This helps tremendously in the higher levels (CT and WT).

As for fighting the Ice mob's...I would add all my prisms in my deck plus a few treasure ones. This helped me solo much of the ice enemies in CT and WT.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life
Hannah Storyforge Level 60 Ice

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
trust me you want fire ice has the defens yes but pyromancer can still shield
we can heal and do damage with link or power link we have the handy overtime effect infact our per pip spell is 130 per pip over 3 rounds heckhound
i am a legendary pyromancer efreet's minus 90 weakness comes in handy in pvp or legendary dungeons
now i know you think it might be easy but your
wrong fire requires thinking we are not as strong as storm our overtime effects require strategy when using them if you have the wrong kind of deck set up you will get destroyed yes fire focuses on attacks now i dont have shields in my fire deck because fire being the second strongest school you can kill your enemy off before you need a shield if you want to solo that requires a lot of thinking for your deck set up trust me fire looks easy but its not that simple ice well it has a lot of defense only because its attacks are low
thats why they have a lot of health if you want to wait and draw out a battle then choose ice if you want to end it fairly quickly choose fire
with a fire deck set up you want to focus on attack not defense
have maybe 3 glacial shields nothing major and try to balance out the rest of your attacks

fire can be helpful because of all the ice mobs in wintertusk and the high levels and i will state this again it does require strategy due to our low health not as low as storm but low plus fire has cool pets like the phoenix
i f you choose fire i would get life as a secondary

now as an ice legendary i would say you need a lot of converts for WT

trust me i have experienced both choose fire its better in the long run and out of it
blaze legendary pyromancer and cody legendary ice

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I found Ice boring. I was almost never defeated because of high health, and most battles were a matter of wearing down the enemies with weak spells. A long siege, followed by running around picking up orange wisps. It might change at the higher levels, but I'm not going to find out for myself.

Fire is a strategy-based school, because the wizard has relatively ittle health and needs to make all spells count. Unlike Storm, there's no X-pip hit-all spell at level 28 to make the game relatively simple.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
I can't tell you how many times I've been on the verge of deleting my Fire wizard. If I could have transferred the crowns house to another character, Fire would be long gone.

Notice how fire and fizzle start with the same letter? I don't care what the accuracy rating is supposed to be, my Fire wizard fizzles more than any Storm I've ever seen. Even from day 1 with fire, I called the Fire cat, "Fizzlecat" because that's all it ever did.

I would suggest that you try it out, play Fire but don't buy a house. If the fizzle rate is OK with you, keep it. If not, sell everything, buy treasure cards, pet snacks or reagents and move them to another character, delete fire and try out Ice.

Defender
Mar 06, 2010
i don't know much about ice, but i know that fire rocks at just about everything (well idk about pvp, i don't know if fire is bad at pvp or if i just am). Both are fairly good for soloing. If you go with fire, choose a school that can actually help it, such as life or death. I made a big mistake by choosing fire with storm. But, once you reach 55, be sure to spend a training point on polymorph treant in Celestia, because it comes with great healing, which is desperately needed in those last few areas of Celestia. Fire's only problem is that they can't heal very well unless you choose secondary as life, but you probably understand that since you've played myth and storm. I barely need treasure cards, but i wasn't a good soloist until i got polymorph treant.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I have a Pyromancer who's secondary is Ice, so it doesn't really bother me that I don't have a Thaumaturge. I'd say Fire because it's more interesting than Ice in my opinion. Ice is all about HP; it has the highest HP out of any other school, but their attacks are really weak. Plus, you don't get your blade until the Lvl. 30s, which was deal breaker for me.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
af6at wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've been on the verge of deleting my Fire wizard. If I could have transferred the crowns house to another character, Fire would be long gone.

Notice how fire and fizzle start with the same letter? I don't care what the accuracy rating is supposed to be, my Fire wizard fizzles more than any Storm I've ever seen. Even from day 1 with fire, I called the Fire cat, "Fizzlecat" because that's all it ever did.

I would suggest that you try it out, play Fire but don't buy a house. If the fizzle rate is OK with you, keep it. If not, sell everything, buy treasure cards, pet snacks or reagents and move them to another character, delete fire and try out Ice.

if you stuck with fire in the high lvls you get like a 19-10 accuracy boost and there is something called clothing with accuracy boost

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
af6at wrote:

Fire's accuracy gets better in the end game, but Krokotopia was the absolute worst time for fizzling with fire. Very frustrating.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Fin3cy6 wrote:
tabby714 wrote:

Tabitha

Fire is sort of a free-hit school with no actual strategy; you just hit, heal, hit, heal, until the bad guy or you die(s). Ice is more of a tactical school, you pave the walkway to the defeat of your foe.

Fire has all these spells that do big bad damage over time, they don't stop for nothing. Ice has weaker spells, but they are extreme with protection and the will of survival and thus can have time to draw a plan to kill the enemy. If you want to just attack and attack until the bad guy or you die(s), then fire or storm is the ideal school for you. If you want to slowly but steadily lay out a (maybe) inevitable death trap, then Ice is for you.

though always remember fire is a school of adapting (or how i have seen it all this year when leveling my fire), ice doesn't really have to pay much attention to their health, so dont really add it on there list, but fire has fairly low health, so they have to constantly watch it, and adapt their plans, and not just attacking attacking attacking. they are both somewhat strategic schools, depends on what intreasts you more: patience, or surviving

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
Ice is a very good school to chose. It has very good health, home of the tower hield, and the attacks arent SO bad. I mean they do pretty good damage and ice can stun AND attack

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
i like fire. to those saying fire fizzles a lot your kinda right. fire has the tendency to fizzle more than storm, and its hardly helpful in ds but fire gets better to every one. If you think fire is just attack heal your wrong. partially at least. You must control your pips masterfully or you will be left with nothing. You have to decide if you burn the enemy or try a one hit KO. As a burn you get those turns and chances the heal while your enemy is roasting. If you think fire isnt worth it ( ds, it takes a long time as a fire) then you can try ice but fire beats all schools in my opinion.
fire vs storm: fire wins it has burn
fire vs ice: fire can make long battles with burn
fire vs balance: balance is good but fire gets attack all on more useful spells
fire vs myth: myth and fire has a small range in power but fire dominates near the higher lvls of the game
fire vs life: life people are similar to ice. but fire can easily wipe out people while you have to wait until forest lord as a life
fire vs death: this is kinda hard for me to argue ( i love fire and death ) but fire still wins because death can absorb but it cant surpass ate hundred natural damage until skeletal dragon.
fire vs astral schools: fire is in moon so that makes a tie but fire beats star because star doesnt give a 100% boost right while fire attacks damage total can more than double most schools attacks like fire dragon and crow? so fire wins so far and fire vs sun is the same. does sun give ya more attack than fire can? fire wins ultimately

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
There are a lot of ice mobs because ice is awesome hmm to think of it i dont have an ice character