Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Call us how we are!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 22, 2011
Haven't bothered you that in some quest dialogue npc's call you ''wizard''instead of your name?What would you do about it?(One of the administrors(sorry is mispelled)answer me)Reply if so.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2009
you know that's a good point. Since we do choose names from a list rather then making them up, why can't the quest NPCs say our wizards' names? I do realize there is a lot of coding and stuff involved in making this happen but I think it would be a nice touch to an already awesome game!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
There are so many voice actors that say our full or last name. Combine that with the crazy amount of prefix-suffix combinations for last names, and you easily have a very long, very expensive project. Unless they have the actors just say the different prefixes and suffixes (which would sound really artificial and tacky), I doubt this would ever happen.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2011
Mythknowledge655 wrote:
Haven't bothered you that in some quest dialogue npc's call you ''wizard''instead of your name?What would you do about it?(One of the administrors(sorry is mispelled)answer me)Reply if so.

this would take WAY to long to make this cause of he many times they say your name and have to cast the people voices over and over and over and over whitch would be insane. Even though it is a good idea

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
What your talking about is understandable, but also a bit much,, kind of like asking why you don't hear or read your own wizards talking or responding along your quest line (being that you are the wizard it shouldn't be expected). I could see in the future at most that maybe Merle or your school teacher calling you by name at the start of the game, but not everyone within the spirals quest line.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
The computer knows your name, but KI does not. All the voices in the storyline are pre-recorded. To call everyone by their name, they would need to have all the characters in the spiral who say "young wizard" changed to your name, and they would have to record all possible names, and when a wizard comes in with a certain name, the computer would have to identify that, and change the recording to your name. You see how simple it is for the character to say "young wizard", while your real name appears in the text?
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Lexalandros wrote:
...I do realize there is a lot of coding and stuff involved in making this happen but I think it would be a nice touch to an already awesome game!

I reckon' they already thought of that and realized that it would be too expensive and time-consuming to add this particular "nice touch".

There are 144 female and 154 male names for 298 recordings.

Now add in how many different voice actors say "wizard" instead ofthe character name. I would guess there's about 15 of them through out the spiral. That's 4,470 recordings to edit into the audio tracks!

Just for fun, if we figure that they wanted to have the actors speak the middle and last names as well, of which there are 85 and 79 respectively (they are the same for both genders), you'd be up to about 7,000 recordings to tape and edit, not to mention the time it would take to splice together the all the combinations!

Let's get really wacky and have those 15 actors say every name combination in one breath for both male and female combinations.

Wheee, we're going to be working the midnight oil with ~30,000,000 snippets of audio to cope with. I'm sure they didn't need to go that far to abandon the idea. The 4,470 was most likely enough for them to decide on 15 recordings of "wizard".

;-)

Historian
May 28, 2009
Mythknowledge655 wrote:

That won't be really good. It will be like that they are not gonna re-say every possible names (First middle and last) in all of text that repeats your name! maybe they could use parts like Lotus, Blade. But they won't sound like been connected and what if it's a question? It will be like Microsoft Sam! I think just calling us Wizards are fine. Don't you think?

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
i had people say "sir" at the text but "wizard" when theyre talking. that wouldnt be much difference, since there are only 2 genders