Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do spell decks deal out the cards?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 27, 2011
When I place spell cards in the deck they are put in the deck in a specific place and order, and the same cards all go together. How does the game deal them out during battle and is there any way for the player to control that?

Survivor
Jul 24, 2011
It seems to me to be random. Perhaps certain things are weighted, but I'm not sure. To control the cards that come up, you can limit your deck to only the cards you want. If you're doing a lot of street battles, and don't need a bunch of cards, keep only 4 copies of the spells you really want to use.

Also, keep more copies of your favorite spells compared to other spells. If you can hold 35 cards, but are allowed 5 cards for your school, put 5 copies of your better spells in there. You'll have a better chance of getting at least one of them.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
+1
You can't control it. (?)
Even at level 60 it is that same random choice; apparently being legendary doesn't give you any more control of your spell deck.
There should be a way to control it, and what order treasure cards are added. The higher level the wizard, the more control you should have over your deck...

I have always thought that your wand should be separate from your spell cards too, so you have (only) 1 choice for your wand each turn, and then 6 spells to choose from. That way you would never have to discard your wand to get a spell card up if you start with 3+ wands... why would you ever need more than one use of you wand? (Yeah I know, don't tell me about the useless crafted wands that give spells instead of just damage...)
I mean really, why do you have to discard you wand and never get the option back later in the battle? It makes no sense

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It's random. You can't control which cards come out at any given time. The only way to guarantee that you'll have a certain card is to put the treasure card equivalent of that card (and only that card) in your sideboard.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
wavt333 wrote:
When I place spell cards in the deck they are put in the deck in a specific place and order, and the same cards all go together. How does the game deal them out during battle and is there any way for the player to control that?

They are dealt randomly. The only portion that a player can control is the amount of cards it has to deal (the less amount of cards, the faster you will receive the card you want).

Historian
May 01, 2010
hp1055cm wrote:
+1
You can't control it. (?)
Even at level 60 it is that same random choice; apparently being legendary doesn't give you any more control of your spell deck.
There should be a way to control it, and what order treasure cards are added. The higher level the wizard, the more control you should have over your deck...

I have always thought that your wand should be separate from your spell cards too, so you have (only) 1 choice for your wand each turn, and then 6 spells to choose from. That way you would never have to discard your wand to get a spell card up if you start with 3+ wands... why would you ever need more than one use of you wand? (Yeah I know, don't tell me about the useless crafted wands that give spells instead of just damage...)
I mean really, why do you have to discard you wand and never get the option back later in the battle? It makes no sense

that is why deck constuction is so important, making sure you have what you need when you need it, if you like to have a big deck, and on that topic, you do have more control, because you can raise the chance of getting the cards the higher the max copies go.

also, i actually prefer wands to be in my deck, because i usually carry treasure heals, and if i dont have anything in my hand that i want to discard, then i am just out of luck, just the thing is knowing how many to discard.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2011
colagada wrote:
The only way to guarantee that you'll have a certain card is to put the treasure card equivalent of that card (and only that card) in your sideboard.

This is exactly what I did. My entire treasure deck is nothing but Tempest with a Keen Eyes accuracy boost. Since it is one of the X-pip spells, I can cast it anytime. When I need it, I drop a card, draw a treasure card, and cast it with an accuracy boost. :-D

I've even contemplated dropping all the regular Tempest from my deck to make room for other spells and just use Tempest treasure cards. Those cost me 50 gold each to make...so there is a slight cost added, but the accuracy boost makes it an overall good value.

I also make about 50 Satyr cards with accuracy boost. This was back when I contemplated cashing in all my Life training points and switching my secondary school. I figured I'd make a bunch of Satyr treasure cards to have when needed. Plans change of course. We've decided to keep Life for now, and even bought a Life Mastery Amulet.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
The cards are simply shuffled, and dealt to you. Just like in card games.

What I find myself doing, to improve the odds of certain cards showing up, is increasing the number of cards I like, and decreasing the number of cards I would least want.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
wavt333 wrote:

Supposedly, it is all random, but I personally think when fighting the same school, all your prisms get shifted to the bottom of the deck.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Balance is important here. Best thing you can do to gain some control over the shuffle is:

Have a small deck set, no more than 3 or 4 copies of a spell max.
pick the strong card that, depending on your playing style, usually wins you a fight or saves you and have more copies of that particular spell over certain other spells. So keep that one at 4 copies max while other attacks are three or even two.

Balance this out with your support spells too.