Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

In what Order?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 03, 2009
There really needs to be some kind of logic as to how Buffs and Shields go off. Seriously. Sometimes two identical traps go off sometimes not, sometimes only one shield goes off, sometimes two. How are we supposed to know what buff or shield will go off with any given spell?

Example: Just had a PvP match. I had a rack of Spirit Shields and two racks of Elemental shields. They overlap, but that's for another post. I also had two Storm traps on me.

My opponent casts a Triton. Where an Ice Mage gets that card I'll never know, but anyway, BOTH his traps go off, but only one of my shields do.

No it doesn't kill me, but it just begs the point of the seemingly random firings of these buffs and shields. I've actually NEVER seen two identical traps go off at the same time. At least not until today.

This is kinda important in a Turn Based Combat. Anyone figure out somekind of logical progression with this topic? Is it Spell specific? and if so, how in the world are we supposed to know? Trial and error?

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Defender
Dec 31, 2008
Quizzical has given a very detailed and informative account of how damage calculations work in another thread:
https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/3866.ftl

To answer your question more specifically, traps or prisms with identical name AND value will not stack (stacking is when they both apply in the same damage calculation). If they differ in either name OR value, they will stack. So a death trap will stack with the death portion of a spirit trap: different names stack. A treasure card death trap and a regular death trap will stack: same name, but different percent value. This may explain why two of the same name traps stacked in your example. A treasure card death trap and a death trap from the amulet you can get in Marleybone will NOT stack: same name and same percent value.

Among stacking items, they are applied in reverse order from how they were put on:
Last On is First Off.

If the sequence put on is
1. fire trap
2. treasure card fire trap
3. fire shield
4. ice-to-fire convert
5. ice trap,
an ice spell will trigger all of them in reverse order (ice trap, ice-to-fire convert, fire shield, treasure fire trap, fire trap). A fire spell would skip the ice trap and ice convert, and trigger the fire shield, treasure fire trap, then regular fire trap.

But if the same items are put on in this order:
1. fire trap
2. ice-to-fire convert
3. treasure card fire trap
4. fire shield
5. ice trap,
an ice spell will trigger ice trap, skip the fire shield and treasure fire trap because they don't apply, then trigger ice-to-fire convert and the regular fire trap. It will not go back and use the fire shield or treasure fire trap; once an item has been used or skipped in the reverse order it is not considered again for that damage calculation.

Hope this helps, and definitely check out quizzical's explanation if you want more detail.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Thanks for the very helpful response. The second Storm trap may very well have been a treasure card.

I'm curious why my first Elemental Shield didn't go off though. I had an Elemental Shield then a Spirit Shield then another Elemental Shield which partially covered the first one. The second cast Elemental Shield went off, but the first one didn't.

Could the fact that it was physically overlapped have anything to do with it? or maybe it was just a random glitch.

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I doubt very much that the way the traps are drawn on the screen affects how the damage is calculated - in my experience software designers try to keep those kinds of things separate.

Remember that if the two elemental shields had the same name and same percent value, they would not stack. The one placed later would get used (because items are used in reverse order of how they are placed), and the earlier placed one would get skipped.

Example - placed in this order:
1. ice trap
2. ice shield
3. ice trap (same name and value as #1)

An ice spell would trigger #3 ice trap, then #2 ice shield, then it would skip #1 ice trap because it's identical to something already used, namely #3 ice trap. The #1 ice trap would stay on the enemy and be available for a later spell.

This is why you have to place two or more identical traps if you want to boost more than just the beginning part of multi-hit spells like Fire Elf (small hit on attacker's turn, larger hits on next three of target's turns) or Minotaur (which does a small hit and a large hit in one turn). If the traps are not identical, they both get used up on the first (usually the smallest) damage event. If they are identical, the first damage event uses up only one and leaves the other(s) for the later hit(s).

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Dridsuzy wrote:
I'm curious why my first Elemental Shield didn't go off though. I had an Elemental Shield then a Spirit Shield then another Elemental Shield which partially covered the first one. The second cast Elemental Shield went off, but the first one didn't.

Maybe because it was the most recent one cast?

You can look at these shields like they are in layers (which in your case was graphically true; but it wouldn't be in all cases). The second Elemental Shield was laid on top of the other one, and as such "covers" it. The first shield thus must be "uncovered" in some way before it can be activated.

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
Great info!!! Was wonder what was going on with this. Now i just become a stronger dueler and know is half the battle :)