Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Girl-only dye?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Made a girl toon this afternoon because I wanted the name Calamity Eyes for my wizard, and I noticed while in the dye shop I suddenly had the option of pink.

I then logged, and hopped back on to one of my guy toons. Pink wasn't an option.

Honestly I probably would only put pink on maybe a handful of the gear I have across all my guy toons, if any at all. But the fact that I am not even given the option irks me a little.

What do the conservative big wigs at KI have against guys in pink, anyways?
Is this something they are trying to subliminally instill in to children? (lolconspiracy)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Interesting...I didn't even know there was an actual color choice for pink. I thought it was just a light version of red or orange. Care to explain this KI?

Champion
May 03, 2011
I agree. Pink is just another color. But these gender issues seem pretty charged for some people. Someone posted a suggestion in the Dorms section about offering people the opportunity to change the gender of their wizard, and the reactions were, to my mind, extreme. People seemed to think that changing an avatar's gender was tantamount to Corrupting America's Youth, Undermining the Sanctity of a Family-Friendly Game, and stuff like that. I still don't get what that was about--gender choice in this game has no "lifestyle" implications. These characters seem almost gender-neutral already. But I guess my point here is that, if KI seems conservative on gender issues (remember the gender-specific gear that came with the Fantasy Palace?) it's probably because they are just reflecting/responding to the majority view among game consumers. Alas.

Tabitha

Champion
May 03, 2011
Had to post an addendum to what I wrote earlier--I also think that this game really empowers women/girls in lots of ways. Girls can be just as powerful, indomitable, etc. as guys. Advancement happens on merit, regardless of gender, and no matter who's wearing the pink :-). That's one of the things I really like about the game. Ultimately, I think that's more important than appearances/fashions, etc.

Tabitha

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
classact21 wrote:
Made a girl toon this afternoon ... and I noticed while in the dye shop I suddenly had the option of pink.

Wow, interesting observation.
I have never noticed that, as all my wizards are the same gender.

I completely understand this forum is not the place for gender issue debates, but if that is in fact true, it does bring up the question of 'Why is it socially acceptable for females to wear blue, but not as accepted for males to sport pink?'

Very interesting, indeed.
Nice find Classact. Good eye.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Well, on the other hand you could say there is a boy-only dye, since only boys can dye brown.

The choices really aren't that big of a deal.

The color swap is boys get brown, light and dark orange.

Girls get pink, gold and orange.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
HooVooLoo wrote:
Well, on the other hand you could say there is a boy-only dye, since only boys can dye brown.

The choices really aren't that big of a deal.

The color swap is boys get brown, light and dark orange.

Girls get pink, gold and orange.

Obviously there are much larger matters at hand in the game. Sure; this may not be that big of a deal. To you. To some it may. Who am I to say? I didnt post this with you in mind, i'll admit it.

With relevance to my original post, there is no stigma between girls and the color brown. You can fill in the rest of my point in your head, as I do not intend to bring it up any more blatantly than I have thus far on a forum that children view.

But for the record... the dark orange option might as well be brown. Or worse; that hue that doesn't aesthetically mix well with anything. My vote is for the latter.

And who's to say girl's dont deserve to wear brown? Especially balance ones!
But your addendum is logical and appreciated, as I was only looking at it from one perspective. Guilty. You are right and the issue applies to both sets of color swaps for both genders, and an answer to any of them would suffice.

You could play devil's advocate and state that I'm the one who is guilty of this or that for noticing that there is an issue in the first place, since clearly i 'only see in black and white,' as may be one way to put it. But every newborn wing in all of the hospitals in this country would be guilty of the same thing.

I hope I wasn't too cryptic. My analogies can be a stretch at times xD

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
classact21 wrote:
Made a girl toon this afternoon because I wanted the name Calamity Eyes for my wizard, and I noticed while in the dye shop I suddenly had the option of pink.

I then logged, and hopped back on to one of my guy toons. Pink wasn't an option.

Honestly I probably would only put pink on maybe a handful of the gear I have across all my guy toons, if any at all. But the fact that I am not even given the option irks me a little.

Is this something they are trying to subliminally instill in to children? (lolconspiracy)

I agree. I'm no guy, but I've heard that only true men wear pink.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
classact21 wrote:

i never even knew and i have like one guy and one girl gender of wizards thanks for telling

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
If it's that big a bother to you, all you have to do is trade the gear, to an avatar on your account of the other gender, then have them dye the gender specific color onto the gear in question, before finally trading it back. I've seen screen caps of male avatars wearing pink, and baby blue, I was told this is how it was done.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
honestly KI there is nothing wrong with guys wearing pink its just a color
there is so much gender issues in this world now just like someone pointed out girls should be able to wear brown and boys pink there i nothing wrong with there just colors

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
well, i think that boy should not be able to were pink it's not the color it's self its kinda what people would do with it. you see most people would just say they are a girl or what not then problems would start and look there goes another word from the text chat dictonary. and maybe you wont do it there is a lot of problem starters out there who just want attention weather it is good or bad. and the reason girls are allowed to were blue its beacause blue isnt a all boy color there is tom boys and i have never seen a tom girl. look at it like this take to kids, a boy and a girl. now the boy is wearing a pink to-to and the girl is wearing a cap blue shirt and jeans who looks weirder? the boy. my point is that girls dont look as silly in boys outfits or in thease cases colors then boy do in girl outfits or colors.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
I agree. Pink is just another color. But these gender issues seem pretty charged for some people. Someone posted a suggestion in the Dorms section about offering people the opportunity to change the gender of their wizard, and the reactions were, to my mind, extreme. People seemed to think that changing an avatar's gender was tantamount to Corrupting America's Youth, Undermining the Sanctity of a Family-Friendly Game, and stuff like that. I still don't get what that was about--gender choice in this game has no "lifestyle" implications. These characters seem almost gender-neutral already. But I guess my point here is that, if KI seems conservative on gender issues (remember the gender-specific gear that came with the Fantasy Palace?) it's probably because they are just reflecting/responding to the majority view among game consumers. Alas.

Tabitha

LOL, I remember the flamefest that my suggestion to give girls better choices with the Massive Fantasy Palace instigated. It wasn't pretty in pink.

Seriously, it IS a big deal that media, including W101, affect our concepts of status quo, gender identity, and other important lifestyle decisions.

Several of us ladies have mentioned that the current outfit selection for girls is stereotypical and rather sexist. We asked for more androgynous outfits, more lady armor, pants, etc. KI has responded to our requests in small ways, such as the Dragons Hoard armor, Rockin' Outfit, and the crafted outfits in WT. That's a start, most definitely.

Giving all of us the same dye options would be yet another change toward a more modern view, and help to bring the Spiral out of the, er, dark ages.

Gender-free regards,

qbb/Iridian/Scarlet/Moira