Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Necromancy Spells Clarification

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 09, 2011
The spells I mentioned on the subject, do it need to be fixed? How can these spells (ghoul,vampire,wraith, scare crow) absorb more health than that of its opponent?

Example, I summoned a minion whose health is just 300 points. A necromancer then casts Wraith spell on that minion, obviously to heal and kill it at the same time. But shouldn't it be, he can only get 150 health points back? Why is it he gets more than 300 points back when the minion itself has only 300 health? I think these spells should be much stronger regarded with proper calculation of how much it can take back.

I just need clarification on this matter. Thanks.

Boris Blood
Lvl 60 Necromancer

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010
the reason they can take back more health than the target has, is because it takes half of the DAMAGE done, not the targets health.
ex.
lets say you are fighting lost souls on unicorn way for fun.
you wraith the lost soul and deal 600 damage. you will get back 300 health,not half of the lost souls health, which is 47.5.

i hope that clears this matter up for you

devin ravenmask, level 44 myth
morgrim jadethron, level 20 death

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Really? You are playing a game based upon myth and fantasy and you can't let go of a little math calculation on life absorb to the caster by a death attack...
Obviously the magical transformation is based upon the strength of the attack; and I really can't understand why you would even have any question about it or assume that the calculation was wrong?
Why not accept it for what it is instead of asking for it to conform to your own interpretation of how it should be?

The next time you have a complaint about PVP then I suggest you post it in the PVP forum, aka the "I want to change the game in my favor" forum.
Believe it or not you will find that some people have the opinion that Minions should not be allowed in PVP ranked matches anyway...

If you don't like the calculation then cast a 70% death shield on your minion; that should ajust the calculation in your favor.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but I'm assuming you want to know why you get more than half the existing health from the creature you attack. So if you attack a monster, do, say, 1600 damage, you get 800 back. Even if that monster only had 600 health left. Is that what you mean? Anyway, you get back half the damage you do, not half the health the enemy has left. Even if it's way overkill. That's one of the many cool things about the Death school.

Tabitha Ravenheart, Level 49 Death

Survivor
May 09, 2011
Thank you for the answers. I myself is a Death student too. Clarifications, please take a look at the spell cards of ghoul,vampire,wraith and scare crow. If you may notice it, the symbol at the bottom is a heart shape broken in half.
Clearly damage spells are the one with the symbol of a closed fist. Can you tell the difference? This is what it means to me, that symbol (heart shape broken in half) means you are taking half of the health of the opponent. If it is the same as a damage spell, then Kingsisle may have just put it with a closed fist symbol.

Survivor
May 09, 2011
Take a look at the shields too. The tower shield, look at the symbol at the bottom. it clearly shows -50% to next closed fist or broken heart spell. Now take a look at the ether shield or legend shield, see the symbol? It has no broken heart symbol, so clearly this can't protect you from wraith or vampire spell but i think this shields also can. Now look at a death shield, both the fist and broken heart symbol is there.

Simply saying that damage spells can give a lot of damage irregardless of what is the health of the creature or your opponent. But the spells like wraith or vampire should be based on what is left of your opponent's health. There is a big difference between damage spells and health swap spell.

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Once again, someone is trying to force logic into a fantasy game. If it makes you feel better just say that while they kill your opponents body, they are drawing health from it's soul, not it's body, and the soul is limitless.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
alchet03 wrote:
The spells I mentioned on the subject, do it need to be fixed? How can these spells (ghoul,vampire,wraith, scare crow) absorb more health than that of its opponent?

Example, I summoned a minion whose health is just 300 points. A necromancer then casts Wraith spell on that minion, obviously to heal and kill it at the same time. But shouldn't it be, he can only get 150 health points back? Why is it he gets more than 300 points back when the minion itself has only 300 health? I think these spells should be much stronger regarded with proper calculation of how much it can take back.

I just need clarification on this matter. Thanks.

Boris Blood
Lvl 60 Necromancer

Yea I've thought about that before. I don't know if I agree or not though.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
alchet03 wrote:
The spells I mentioned on the subject, do it need to be fixed? How can these spells (ghoul,vampire,wraith, scare crow) absorb more health than that of its opponent? Example, I summoned a minion whose health is just 300 points. A necromancer then casts Wraith spell on that minion, obviously to heal and kill it at the same time. But shouldn't it be, he can only get 150 health points back? Why is it he gets more than 300 points back when the minion itself has only 300 health? I think these spells should be much stronger regarded with proper calculation of how much it can take back. I just need clarification on this matter. Thanks. Boris Blood Lvl 60 Necromancer
Drain spells do damage beyond a being's physical health- the drain the actual life force of an opponent. That's why drain damage can go beyond the displayed health amount and send that stolen life force back to the caster. -keller moonblade, magus necromancer

Survivor
May 09, 2011
You said it, drain what? "Health". So the calculation must be based on the total health of the opponent. Logically, You cant drain a 50 gallon tank of gasoline and expect it to pour out 100 gallons.

There are issues on the spells and the shields I mentioned.
I also mentioned that these spells must be much stronger that it is now provided with proper calculation of how much it can take back.

Boris Blood
Lvl 60 Necromancer

Survivor
May 09, 2011
And why do we apply logic on a fantasy game? If there is no logic applied in this fantasy game, then there would be lots issues to be tackled.

Why do you think storm wizards has very low heath and makes a lot of damage spell? Because its fantasy? You might want to be more logical sometime so we can all enjoy the game. Yes this game is fantasy based but it does not mean you can't apply logic to it. Again, this is for clarification on the above subject, your answers are most welcome.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
alchet03 wrote:
Thank you for the answers. I myself is a Death student too. Clarifications, please take a look at the spell cards of ghoul,vampire,wraith and scare crow. If you may notice it, the symbol at the bottom is a heart shape broken in half.
Clearly damage spells are the one with the symbol of a closed fist. Can you tell the difference? This is what it means to me, that symbol (heart shape broken in half) means you are taking half of the health of the opponent. If it is the same as a damage spell, then Kingsisle may have just put it with a closed fist symbol.

The heart broken in half means it is a Drain Spell. Drain Spells do damage and give health back to the Necromancer. Megan

Survivor
May 09, 2011
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
alchet03 wrote:

The heart broken in half means it is a Drain Spell. Drain Spells do damage and give health back to the Necromancer. Megan

Thank you Megan, but my point is, Drain Spells should only affect the total health of the enemy, that would be its main difference from a normal damage spell. And speaking of the symbols, the shields has issues too, if you have time to read my previous messages. Thanks again.