Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm Not Your Slave

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
It deeply irritates me when people just think it's okay to bark orders in combat. I cannot tell you how many times I've been fighting with someone and they're just yelling at me to use this and cast that. The subtext in that is, "I have a more profound knowledge of your school than you can even comprehend, which is why I have the right to fight vicariously through you." The irony in this is that:

1. They don't know what's in my hand or in my deck, so 99.9% of the time they're asking me to cast a spell that's not in my hand, or even in my deck.
2. They're not even paying attention to how many pips I have, so even if I have the spell they're demanding I cast, I can't cast it because I don't even have enough pips.

Is it too much to ask...well, to ask? Instead of saying, "Storm Lord now," you can't say, "Do you have Storm Lord? Can you cast it?" I know typing all that can be time-consuming in combat, but at least put a question mark! "Storm lord now," is far worse than "Storm Lord now?" It really isn't that hard to add; it's one extra character.

What absolutely drives me up the wall is when people say this: "Blade me." Really?! Is it too much effort to ask for a blade? Last time I checked I'm doing you a favor, not the other way around.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Plus, how can they tell you what to cast when they can't even see your deck?

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
when tney can't even play their own cards intelligently, what makes you think they have a clue how to play yours

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
if you look at the bottom of the screen
you will see the parchment
with the wizards name, location on the wheel.
their life and damage taken.
when they choose a spell that show up too.

dont be so hasty to cast .......
read the screen first
that way you can be a hero...
not a zero

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
I know >:(

Like they are yelling at me to heal right after I just used a rebirth. Like seriously?!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
Question I have is why get offended?

Simply ignore the chat in combat if you don't like what they say. What are they going to do about it, Flee? Then you kill all the mobs get more exp, more loot and more gold. WIN WIN WIN!

Even better talk to them in a kind and gentle way and ask them to please, kindly stop what they are doing.. HUGE WIN and maybe you can make a friend and help someone become a better person in real life!

Defender
May 31, 2011
I, too, find it annoying when ordered, especially when it comes from a player who has just joined in. I generally ignore them and continue to cast or not caste my spells as I please. Sometimes i just say "no" and sometimes it ends the ordering and sometimes it doesn't. It is not difficult at all to just ask for what you want rather than to demand it. But what are you going to do? Those who are self centered do not really care about manners.

The only time I am ok with "orders" is when I am playing with an organized group and it comes from the recognized leader.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I've had the same thing happen. It's just plain rude. And on top of that, I've had people tell me "cast fire" at a FIRE BOSS. Yeah, right.
When they tell me, rather than ask, my answer is always: No.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
i hate when people do that i have a life character legendary when i do tower of helephant 10 out of 10 times someone is barking orders heal me heal him use rebirth they tell me to use rebirth when i only have like 1 power pip do they even see how many pips i have also they just assume i have rebirth in my hand
i mean really people would it kill you to ask

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I can relate to the second half of your post. Being a Balance wiz, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had people bark orders like 'blade/shield/heal me'... It gets annoying, very quickly, and I'll usually just say 'no' to people who keep going.

Different story if we are in a dungeon (ie Waterworks) and are strategizing as a group. If my friend is Life, and I know that he's got a Forest Lord in his hand, then I'll give him as many blades as I can; if a Storm buddy is casting an Insane Bolt, then I'll give her my Storm shields, just in case she gets hit by it. I've even acted as a healer on teams where there is no Life wiz, which I don't mind, but it all comes back to mutual respect. Be nice to me, and I won't refuse to blade/shield/heal you.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2011
I'm in the myth school so people are always saying "use frog," whether I have it up, whether I have a debuff on me, whether it's the best tactic at the moment, etc. I usually just ignore it and then don't fight alongside them again if I can help it. It's true that the best response is to be saintly and rise above it, but sometimes I'm in no mood and do answer them. It would be like me telling a death caster when to feint. I'd never even think of doing that--shows you where some people's heads are, lol.

There is a time for the group to have a leader. Recently I went on a Kensington Park run with a couple of more experienced players (I just made GM, one of these guys was Legendary). I did as I was told because we set it up for one of them to lead the expedition, and of course it worked out great. But appointing yourself boss is obnoxious.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
I 100% agree with you. The solution I use: I tell them not to tell me what to do because I didn't become a legendary by taking orders. I then tell them to apologize to me or I won't even bother to heal them, because they're my cards and I can do what I want with them.

I haven't died in the game yet and don't plan on it now. I will admit, that some people that have joined my battles that tried to command and demand have died because I refuse to use my cards for them.

Simple thing for everyone to remember...be polite, don't command and demand, understand that some people know their school, and that if you plan on trying to make people your minion...you may regret it later (no one will want to be your friend and help you...and people like me won't heal you and just laugh to themselves when you die).

Jenna Soulcatcher Legendary life wizard

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

It can be irritating when others try (and I say try ) to tell me what I "have" to do. Now, if its a dungeon I'm not familiar with, the "suggestions" are appreciated. :-)

But for those friends who order me to port to them and proceed to bark orders during the fight, they don't stay friends for long.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
Oh Yea I have had this problem too.
One day my friend asked me to help him out with Waterworks, I guess he had organized a group to farm it or something. I said OK, so we began the dungeon. Apparently he had appointed himself leader, because he started telling EVERYONE what to do, or what they should have done. It was annoying, but I usually don't have a problem with those people. Then we got to the first boss, and he was 10x more demanding than he was before. I started playing by my own strategy instead, and although his strategy was effective, mine was more effective. So we were about to finish him off, the boss had about 7,700 health left, I had Efreet and some other guy had Wraith, and my friend kept telling us not to strike just yet. I assumed this was because he was looking for Forest Lord, so I listened to him. Then, right when we were about to strike, he fled. I didn't know why, so I asked him through text chat. You will never believe what his answer was. " I got bored." Wow. Just wow. That is incredibly rude. HE organized the people to help him win the dungeon, and then he just walks out on us as if we were expendable?! If you go into a dungeon with others, see it through to the end, especially if you were the one who started it!!!!
I removed him afterwards, so that he will never bother me again. :D
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
Comforting to see I'm not the only one who encountered this idiot personality trait today.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
Aelita987 wrote:
I know >:(

Like they are yelling at me to heal right after I just used a rebirth. Like seriously?!

Yea, if you rebirthed them and they still want healing? I used to have a lot of low levels port to me in DS and CL. I always end up fleeing to leave them alone to die and learn their lesson, because during battle you will hear "I need healing" a thousands times.

P.S. You made a mistake with the angry face

Defender
Dec 21, 2010
The people who annoy me are the ones who demand "Add Me" and have never battled with me. Proof of battling skills is paramount to being added.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, I agree. I get reports for not "casting this spell" when I don't even have it. SOme people just can't understand can they?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
mare62 wrote:
The people who annoy me are the ones who demand "Add Me" and have never battled with me. Proof of battling skills is paramount to being added.

True, but what annoys me even more are those people who beg you to add them even though your level is a lot higher than theirs and you've only fought with them once.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
i mostly fight alone so i dont think i have seen this, but after i tell someone to heal or blade me, i always say thanks once they did, so they can see im not bossy. leaders are those who know battle tactics. not those who think they are

PS: did i do the color thing well? its my first time trying

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Last time that happened to me, i returned the favor and corrected their strategy. That shuts them up quickly. -eli and crew

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
It deeply irritates me when people just think it's okay to bark orders in combat. I cannot tell you how many times I've been fighting with someone and they're just yelling at me to use this and cast that. The subtext in that is, "I have a more profound knowledge of your school than you can even comprehend, which is why I have the right to fight vicariously through you." The irony in this is that:

I have been quite lucky not to meet many of these types in the game. I have a legendary Life so am fair game for demanding. I usually chat back fast - yes boss - and it puts them in check, if not then ignore them or flee as the next options. I play the game for fun not to be told how to play it when. I soloed most all the game and by mid Mooshu got it nailed, I know how to play the school of Life, I am a fighter not a healer unless I go in the fight only to be one, other wise I have two sprites and a satyr in deck that's it, every school gets sprites in the beginning to use, rest is blades traps and mostly just Forest Lords - cheats in dungeons I have not been before tell me about - give me orders not going to fly. I fled once and have had to removed a few demanding ones but by and large I have had very little abuse, maybe because I pretty much don't shut up, I have gift of gab and bend a lot of ears talking about everything in the game.

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
On a wiz i recently retired, i had people telling me what to do, some not even at my lvl yet. i keep thinking "I dont need to do that", but i did it anyway. i wish people were more pacient ...