Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

KI didn't listen to the player's suggestions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
Quite a few people gave KI a number of great idea's to make the two new houses even better when you so kindly let us try them out in beta. However KI chose not to listen to a single suggestion and they went to "press" with the houses just the way they were.

So please KI why would you chose not to listen to your players who gave
you such great ideas to make this game even better? The great ideas to
help make these houses truly great would have resulted in more of them
being sold with crowns and more revenue for you as well as more happy players. The creative consultant for these homes made a decision to run with his creations and ignore the suggestions of his customers. I am truly saddened to see that this is the final answer from KI.

Your customers simply wanted to help make a great game even better!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
As we all can read in the forums the general consensus of the masses that play this game is that the 2 new houses are not what people wanted. KI was told this in beta and didn't listen.

If you read over all the other posts on here you will even see people asking for refunds on these houses.

Why won't you listen and correct the homes?

We all love this game and simply want the homes to be even more amazing,
and in the case of the water on the floor and the walls in the sunken palace, we simply want to be able to use them! The Wizard's Watch towe we just want space to decorate, the rooms are way too small and not enough and the dragon treasure room needs to allow us to place things in it. Make the telescope functional as well!

Please, please..

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Maybe the ideas couldn't be formulated in to the game, or the ideas weren't good.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
yeah i agree if kingsisle could just look at all ideas and use them we might have a better place! rather than people quiting you dont want that kingsisle dont you?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
julia88888 wrote:
yeah i agree if kingsisle could just look at all ideas and use them we might have a better place! rather than people quiting you dont want that kingsisle dont you?

If KI used all the player's ideas, crowns items would disappear (or become all gold), 75% of the spells in the game would be banned from PvP, each boss would drop every single one of their drops 100% of the time, there would be a new world each week, and no one would ever be defeated because the enemies would be too easy.

I'm not saying ever idea is bad, but there are some "suggestions" that wizards want that only benefit themselves and actually commit a diservice to other wizards and KI. The original poster and those with ideas about the new houses probably had constructive ideas. But the idea that KI should incorporate ALL ideas and use them is not very good. You would probably see more people quit because of that instead.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
It may be a little hard to choose which one out of millions

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
If KI listened to everyone's ideas, the game would be far too easy...

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
No, if KI listened to everyone's GOOD ideas, the game would become even more fun to the majority that think the same way.

KI wants people to spend their money. As long as they do, they won't care squat about what people think. That has become way too obvious. I have written about countless of my ideas that would make this game more fun, and bring it back to the casual gameplay that gets destroyed with Celestia and onward.

Even pre-Celestia content ideas have been suggested. Alternate ways to grind for exp. KI does not care as long as people pay money in one way or another.

Each and every single Wizard101 player would have to cancel their subscription, stop buying crowns, and simply go on 'strike' in order for KI to force themselves to make changes.

I wrote a post in the Dorms section entitled "Greetings, Wizard101" with the majority of my ideas in it. Unfortunately turning out to be a very unpopular post, because not many people read and replied to it.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
KingsIsle might not agree with every single idea. But I do agree, they do leave out the best ones sometimes.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
thing is people K I put in a ton of time in creating those houses. money spend on labor and computer time. And you want them to throw them away?
waste the money you paid for this game?

well i know several who love those houses and have been very creative in the use of rugs in them.

the idea of house like this is to present you a challenge.
like a quest how well can you make it in to something totally unique.

think about it.... then do something and post some pictures

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Stelk wrote:
As we all can read in the forums the general consensus of the masses that play this game is that the 2 new houses are not what people wanted. KI was told this in beta and didn't listen.

The Wizard's Watch tower we just want space to decorate, the rooms are way too small and not enough and the dragon treasure room needs to allow us to place things in it. Make the telescope functional as well!

Please, please..

These are suggestions I made in beta as well. It's obvious that the "suggestions" in beta mean nothing. From housing to actual game play, nothing was changed from the beta. It's pretty frustrating and kind of makes me wonder why they bother with "suggestions" at all.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
KingsIsle doesn't just go oh hey look at this person's idea, let's put it in the game.

Doesn't work that way.

Hunter LegendWraith level60 necromancer

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
I think a lot of the housing issues would be solved if we could 'mock place' an item in the preview. People love to decorate their homes. It really annoys them to grind for the money to buy one, or worse, purchase it with crowns only to find that the room they had grand ideas for won't hold anything larger than a candlestick. So let people place items in the preview to see where the usable areas are. Those that want the homes for looks will be happy, those that want to decorate will know how much room they have to do so.
My son really wanted the Sunken Palace when he found out about it, but when it came to live realm and he saw complaints about not being able to place items, he decided not to buy it. Had he been able to try a few things out in preview, he may have decided he could work with it as it.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
WhimsicalWizard wrote:
If KI listened to everyone's ideas, the game would be far too easy...

KI has a history of putting stuff up on the "test" realm but not paying attention to any feedback other than what they want to hear. Why is anyone surprised that they paid no attention to suggestions for the houses? They weren't looking for changes, all they wanted was to make sure stuff wasn't broken.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
Stelk wrote:
Quite a few people gave KI a number of great idea's to make the two new houses even better when you so kindly let us try them out in beta. However KI chose not to listen to a single suggestion and they went to "press" with the houses just the way they were.

So please KI why would you chose not to listen to your players who gave
you such great ideas to make this game even better? The great ideas to
help make these houses truly great would have resulted in more of them
being sold with crowns and more revenue for you as well as more happy players. The creative consultant for these homes made a decision to run with his creations and ignore the suggestions of his customers. I am truly saddened to see that this is the final answer from KI.

Your customers simply wanted to help make a great game even better!

Well idk if this is a spoiler or not, but i play in the beta and the sunken palace is now to where you can place stuff in the water. The watchtower has yet to test with me O:

Survivor
Aug 05, 2011
Rampant wild speculation.

FYI the vocal minority here on the boards represent no where near the total numbers of players or how they may or may not feel about the game.

Suggestions are just that.

Everyone always thinks they have better insight than the Devs.

Granted the houses and everything involved could use some polishing and adding of some features imho...but I certainly don't believe droves of people are demanding defunds or quiting the game over them.

The housing, and non combat activities in this game are quite stellar and far exceed the abilities of many other games.

Kudos to KI for a success! :D

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
No, if KI listened to everyone's GOOD ideas, the game would become even more fun to the majority that think the same way.

KI wants people to spend their money. As long as they do, they won't care squat about what people think. That has become way too obvious. I have written about countless of my ideas that would make this game more fun, and bring it back to the casual gameplay that gets destroyed with Celestia and onward.

Even pre-Celestia content ideas have been suggested. Alternate ways to grind for exp. KI does not care as long as people pay money in one way or another.

Each and every single Wizard101 player would have to cancel their subscription, stop buying crowns, and simply go on 'strike' in order for KI to force themselves to make changes.

I wrote a post in the Dorms section entitled "Greetings, Wizard101" with the majority of my ideas in it. Unfortunately turning out to be a very unpopular post, because not many people read and replied to it.

I both agree and disagree with your post.

Everybody's ideas are good in some way.... So if they listened to everyone's GOOD ideas, EatEmUp City would be made (and that was honestly just a bad idea imho. Seriously? Fried chicken as a boss?), EVERYTHING that's in the Crowns Shop will be dropped by some boss 99.9% of the time, every spell that whiners have a problem with will be banned (eventually destroying PvP altogether), Every pet starts with Spritely, Every cheating boss will be made easier, Malistaire will have 1,000,000 health and cheat every round, Every world will be so bright and happy, I'll have a seizure (no kidding.), Marleybone will lose its uniqueness and challenge by having sidewalks (and how about the people who worked so hard through MB and now find out their hard work through a world with no sidewalks now has them?), and the list goes on.

Those were the bad ideas imho.

Now there are very good ideas that SHOULD be added to the game, like being able to "hide" quests you don't want to do, freezing your plants so they don't die while you're away for a while, choosing to be on Ambrose's or Malistaire's side, and the list goes on.

Those were the great ideas.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
I think part of the problem is that some people don't realize how much work goes into game development and programming. KI doesn't simply need to find a way to make something work, they need to be able to seamlessly integrate it into the overall program. Take the telescope idea for instance. I own the watchtower house, and I agree that it would be interesting if the telescope were functional.

The question is, what does one mean by functional. It's a bit too simple to just say the telescope should work. What should it do? Do you want it to show a pre-programmed still picture of some stars? Do you want it to give you the option of a series of pre-programmed still pictures from different worlds? Do you expect live action video of what's going on in various places in the spiral? The first option is doable enough, but would get really boring real quick. How many people would even use that function after the first time or two? The second option is a little more interesting and a fair bit more complicated...and you'd still get bored with it before too long. The final option is much more interesting, and if you were curious about what's happening real time elsewhere, would keep your interest. How would you program it though? So, the only option that anyone would care about long term probably couldn't be done without a lot of time and effort...if then. So, why should KI go through all the effort to create a feature you can't find in any other house, and in a house that they're actually charging less for?

Basically, my point is that there are many ideas that sound good as long as you take them on their own. When you think about the time and money involved in making them work, and then compare that cost to the benefit players would get out of it, then it becomes easy enough to understand why KI wouldn't follow through with them. It doesn't mean that KI is ignoring its customers. It just means that KI has to decide what makes sense for them to incorporate.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Aw, I think KI does a pretty good job of answering to player input and requests, most of the time. Sure, they don't do every little thing one of us asks or demands. That's not a realistic expectation anyway.

What I like best about the way KI works is that they spend time exploring, experimenting, and letting us play in their workroom, the test realm. That's a pretty cool collaboration, IMHO. It also leads to a superior quality game, one that does offer the pleasure of sometimes seeing one's idea manifest in the Spiral. Heck, KI was even kind enough to offer a temporary Black Panther mount because some wizards (myself included) asked for one. Granted, it was temporary, but it was still a very nice gesture, and it was free. Maybe a free trial?!?!?!?!? In another instance, KI gave us a gender-free suit of armor that may have been in response to calls from lady wizards who asked for less girly gear selections. I'm certain there are many other examples of KI addressing players' suggestions.

We just can't expect to get everything we want all the time. As others have said, such indulgence on the part of KI would ruin the game.

Mostly satisfied,

qbb/Iridian/Scarlet/Moira/Rowan/Alexandria/Taryn

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
stanklepoot wrote:
I think part of the problem is that some people don't realize how much work goes into game development and programming. KI doesn't simply need to find a way to make something work, they need to be able to seamlessly integrate it into the overall program.

That has nothing to do with KI listening to what their CUSTOMERS actually want. And you may not realize this, but a lot of the people making suggestions not only play other online MMORPGs but program and develop them too. So they're very well aware of how hard some suggestions are to impliment.

The big problem is that KI really does not listen to the players. They come up with new stuff all the time - but a lot of it isn't what people want and the stuff people want or want fixed, KI ignores and avoids.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I agree, they don't add some of the best ideas :(.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
If KI added all of the ideas we came up with imagine how hardit would be for them. Imagine what the game would be like. KI can't add every idea. It wouldn't work. I have had many ideas for a lot of other games and none of them got added. And I've never seen anyone complain that their ideas weren't added to the game on any other game.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Look, I don't want to look like the bad guy here, I really don't. But think of it this way. The KI W101 team has x amount of people and they work y amount of hours a week. If there are (and I'm just guessing here) 500 ideas per day (that's 3,500 a week) and only y amount of hours to do them, then nothing would get done. No new worlds, no new anything, and KI would put out low quality material because they would just be rushing to get it all done. Do you want that? I trust KI's oppion and professinal experience in gaming, and though I do wish that we could be better heard, we can't all get our way. They made a wonderful game, and try as hard as they can to get high quality material out as fast as possible to meet customer demand.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
scotttttttttt wrote:
It may be a little hard to choose which one out of millions

exactly really people KI has millions of people playing as members and more coming every second