Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Non-Balance bosses spamming Weakness traps.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
First of all, I'll start by saying that I'm not sure where to put this, as bosses (and even non-bosses) throughout MB, MS, and DS all do this, but here's the thing:

I am a Balance wiz and, if our school's NPCs can't spam tower shields or Death traps (for example), only they should be able to use Weakness. I'm farming in DS right now, and I've got Ice bosses spamming tower shields- fine, since that's their school's spell. There are 3 of them, and only one of me, but what really grinds my gears is that they're also spamming Weakness, which is (supposed to be) a Balance spell; I've got more on me than I could ever hope to get rid of in one fight. No Balance boss I've encountered has EVER done this, which I find it a little bit unfair.

Balance spells are weak, as it is, and it sure doesn't help that a BLADED, CRITICALED Spectral Blast only does about 200 damage, when combined with a tower shield + weakness trap. I have both the Shatter and Wyrm's Blessing amulets, but they only give one card each; I also carry a few Unbalances in my deck, though 7 (or 8, whatever the max is) copies is nowhere near enough for what they throw at me. If I could wand it off, that would be one thing, but all of my wand cards have been used to get rid of these previously, and they just keep spamming...

As much as I despise Wintertusk and Celestia, their only redeeming quality is that the NPCs can only cast school spells. I dislike trap-spamming now, just as much as I did at level 25, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that something should be done; if a non-Balance boss wants to hit me with a weakness trap, that's fine and well, but PLEASE fix it, so they're not casting them every other turn.

For Balance wizards everywhere,

L.S.
Legendary Sorcerer

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Enemy Weakness spamming is part of the game. The enemies need some way to defend themselves. It's already way too easy to defeat everything, except a few of the optional bosses.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I am sure all the mobs at Marleybone+ until Celestia were meant to do that. To make it more difficult and tedious for players. So they buy more henchmen.

If not henchmen, just to make it harder and less casual and less fun. Much like Ice mobs casting Storm mutates, and so forth.

Is that not right, KI? :-P I know you know I am talking to you, yes you do! *makes googly face.

I know you guys enjoy my little rants and comments. You love to see me suffer in pain and agony.... If only you actually read my sincere posts about issues in the game....

Lol, I actually had fun typing this reply.

"Greetings, Wizard101" posted in the Dorms section. Several other replies by Shiningfantasia to Myth related topics scattered throughout the forum sections.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
colagada wrote:
Enemy Weakness spamming is part of the game. The enemies need some way to defend themselves. It's already way too easy to defeat everything, except a few of the optional bosses.

I'm sorry, but what is with you and this "the game is too easy" nonsense? The game may be easy for you, but it's not easy for everyone.

I agree with vonawesome1; it's one thing that they cast shields and debuffs (or whatever they're called) that belong to their school, I don't even mind that they borrow shields from their opposite school to protect themselves or that they use mutation spells to make their hits stronger, but when they're constantly casting a spell that isn't even in their school, I have a problem. Weakness is a Balance spell, so why am I getting hit with it 3-4 times a fight by Fire monsters in Dragonspyre? I thought KI fixed this a while ago! I remember them yesing everyone to death, saying something along the lines of, "We are shocked at how heavily monsters rely on Weakness. We will fix this issue right away."

You lie, KI. You lie.

Defender
May 31, 2011

I look it at this way, if we wizards can have spells from 2 or more schools regardless what type of wizard we are. Why not the same for the bosses?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
@ Colagada- I'm sure the game is "easy", for someone who has played other games and has experience with this sort of thing. I don't; this is the first game I've ever played, and I've only been at it for a few months, so everything is a learning experience.

@Akihiro- Like you said as well, I don't mind the bosses borrowing shields from the opposite school (for example, Storm guys with an -80% Myth shield)... But if I'm going to get hit with 7 Weakness traps in the first 2 rounds of combat alone by Storm or Fire monsters (yes, I counted them), then it had better be a Balance creature who's doing it. I do recall the comment you quoted, but it hasn't gotten any better... if anything, it's gotten worse. May I remind everyone that we only have 6 or so wand cards?

@Safyr- yes, we have secondary (sometimes tertiary) schools. There's no good reason that bosses can't have these as well, though I sincerely doubt that every, single creature before Celestia is wearing Nightshade's Choker (gives 5 or so cards with Weakness) or has Balance as his or her secondary. Just sayin'.

Thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts and/or time to reply. Happy travels!

L.S.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Ah the weakness spamming NPC's I love to hate. They frustrate me to no end.

A point of correction weakness is not a School Quest spell. Any wizard may learn it. It is learned at Level 8 from Arthur Wethersfield.

Megan

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Weakness does only take 3 training points to learn so, assuming the monsters did all of zeke's quests, i can see how they could train it. It is wicked annoying, though! -gabriel darkthorn, master diviner (and crew)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Ah the weakness spamming NPC's I love to hate. They frustrate me to no end.

A point of correction weakness is not a School Quest spell. Any wizard may learn it. It is learned at Level 8 from Arthur Wethersfield.

Megan

Quest spell or not, Weakness is a Balance spell- no differently than how tower shields are Ice spells and feints are Death spells. Yes, any school can learn them, but NPCs don't spam them, the way they do Weakness traps; if they did, I'm sure it would be just as annoying.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
Balance spells are weak...
if a non-Balance boss wants to hit me with a weakness trap, that's fine and well, but PLEASE fix it, so they're not casting them every other turn.
L.S.
Legendary Sorcerer

+1
(Balance school is weak)

AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
colagada wrote:

I'm sorry, but what is with you and this "the game is too easy" nonsense? The game may be easy for you, but it's not easy for everyone.

Weakness is a Balance spell, so why am I getting hit with it 3-4 times a fight by Fire monsters in Dragonspyre? I thought KI fixed this a while ago! I remember them yesing everyone to death, saying something along the lines of, "We are shocked at how heavily monsters rely on Weakness. We will fix this issue right away."

You lie, KI. You lie.

+1
I myself have given up the fight to apathy, but good to see someone else taking up the cause. If for no other reason then the game would be more fun with less weakness spamming.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
The image I seem to be getting from Colagada is that he seems to be a veteran player with multiple level 60's who thinks a tad high of himself.

As someone else has already said before, a veteran who experienced the game's content multiple times may have a VERY easy time saying things like "Things are too easy as they are."

I simply have to agree with the OP. Similiar with all the mutate spamming, having every single mob hit you with weakness is simply a sloppy way of programming mob AI.

I have come to accept it. Pretty much starting with Marleybone, and all the way up to the end of Dragonspyre, simply expect to have a -25% weakness on you at all times, and consider yourself lucky if you did not get hit with it.