Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hoard Packs...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
The all-around popular "Hoard Packs"-- Dragon's Hoard Pack and Wyvern's Hoard Pack.

In the test realm where you are granted with a lot of crowns, I had a very easy time getting my very own Bone Dragon mount. It only took me roughly 2,000 crowns to get it. However, in the REAL version of the game, I've spent over 10,000 crowns and I didn't get anything that great at all.

What I'm saying is, how on earth are people flying around on Bone Dragons and Wyverns? Do they just spend a lot of money, or is the game rigged to let them have better chances..?

Anyway, I suppose I'm just upset... for Christmas, I'm getting about 5,000 crowns in Wizard101. I'd like to at least try for a Wyvern mount (they are so awesome!) Based on your personal experience, what are the chances of obtaining a Wyvern mount with the 5,000 crowns I'll get for Christmas?

Thank you,

Kestrel Moonshard
Level 52 Thaumaturge

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
after spending over $70 in real money i have yet to get the dragon or the wyvern which is not a wyvern at all but a mixed up rendition of a dragon.
all i been getting is trees... and other things i sell at the bazaar because i have no use for them so to me it is a waste of my real life money to buy those packs
as they are over priced for what we get in them.
only packs i have a use for is the mega snack packs but even those are really over priced.

ok KI i think you need to look over your pricing and consider the current economic of the world and reset some of those prices so kids can afford to buy more of them.

you sell more at a lower price and make a bigger profit to boot.

Explorer
May 13, 2010
Kestrel I feel that I should warn you not to get your hopes up as both packs are simply put the luck of the draw. I also spent some of my test realm crowns on the hoards but, never recieved either of the mounts. I have since spent roughly 2500 crowns on the hoards and upon buying my first dragon hoard on live realm I got the mount most of the rest of the crowns were spent on the wyvern hoard and I recieved a pair of orange fairy wings, blue fairy wings, and other random items but, no wyvern. I would also say to you that the dragon and wyvern are cool mounts however, I have found the size and movement with the dragon is a bit clunky. I actually prefer the fairy wings or my shiftshadow wings to be much easier to maneuver. I wish you good luck in getting your mounts if you still decide to go for one.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
I too spent way too much real life money getting crowns trying for something good lol.

Only I got the wyvern mount and would rather have gotten the fairy wings....go figure.

Wish there could be a way to trade the dang things....but... :(...unfortunately there isn't.

Good luck to you if you decide to keep trying!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I bought the 60,000 crown package for 60 dollars.

After I had spent about 30,000 crowns worth of packs, I finally got my first wyvern. The Jade wyvern.

Spending the remaining crowns I had left, I eventually got the Fire wyvern, and the Night wyvern.

It took me another 10,000 crowns to get the Cloud wyvern, and 2 gold wyverns. (I wanted a wyvern of each color.)

So, you could get 3 wyverns with 10,000 crowns, or a single wyvern with 30,000 crowns. I do have to say, the wyvern drop rate feels to be incredibly rare. Then again, it is an epic drop.

I should consider myself VERY lucky that the three wyverns I got with 60,000 crowns were not all the exact same color. :o

Final word: I think the average wyvern drop rate seems to be one wyvern for about 10,000 crowns worth of packs. That is what it feels like for me.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2010
I have a dragon mount in both live and test realm. My live real dragon took about seven or eight tries. The test realm one took upwards of twenty tries (I honestly lost count. I just wanted the mount and the crowns were free.) I've tried about a dozen times for the wyvern mount in live and have yet to get it (got several pairs of wings and a couple pets though.)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I bought the 60,000 crown package for 60 dollars.

After I had spent about 30,000 crowns worth of packs, I finally got my first wyvern. The Jade wyvern.

Spending the remaining crowns I had left, I eventually got the Fire wyvern, and the Night wyvern.

It took me another 10,000 crowns to get the Cloud wyvern, and 2 gold wyverns. (I wanted a wyvern of each color.)

So, you could get 3 wyverns with 10,000 crowns, or a single wyvern with 30,000 crowns. I do have to say, the wyvern drop rate feels to be incredibly rare. Then again, it is an epic drop.

I should consider myself VERY lucky that the three wyverns I got with 60,000 crowns were not all the exact same color. :o

Final word: I think the average wyvern drop rate seems to be one wyvern for about 10,000 crowns worth of packs. That is what it feels like for me.

Your stats are pretty accurate- like you, I bought the 60,000 crown package, and it took over 40,000 crowns before I saw a mount. I finally got a wyvern (the gold one), but a lot of the other stuff I ended up with was pretty useless (more bowls of tomatoes than I could shake my sword at) and I just sold it for gold. I did, however, end up with a few different teleporters (green, yellow, red, blue, yellow, and purple, I think) and some level 60 gear.

I had better luck with the dragon's hoard pack... I got a mount after about 8 tries, and some cool stuff for the house. Anything I didn't want or need, I sold for gold.

The biggest disappointment is the Hand of Doom, IMHO... Soooooo many water elementals! Have these been redone? My first pack was awesome- Meowiarty, Krokopatra, and Malistaire all made an appearance- but it seems that the good stuff has been made harder to find. That's my issue with the wyvern pack... it seems a step down from what Dragon's Hoard and the former Hand of Doom were. Maybe it's just me.

L.S.