Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

They can't fix anything

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I just realized something. KI can't fix the PvP match ups. If barely anybody is playing PvP except Legendaries, then who are you going to be put up against? Legendaries. They can't fix it. The only thing they could do is have the match up system the same as practice PvP. That's about it. It would be nice to see what level your opponent is, but still. There isn't THAT much KI can do to change the system.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
eggywig wrote:
I just realized something. KI can't fix the PvP match ups. If barely anybody is playing PvP except Legendaries, then who are you going to be put up against? Legendaries. They can't fix it. The only thing they could do is have the match up system the same as practice PvP. That's about it. It would be nice to see what level your opponent is, but still. There isn't THAT much KI can do to change the system.

That is exactly what I have been saying forever now about this debate, and i only get ridiculed for saying it. Apparently if we fix it people will come back, but seriously do they think if someone quit the game are they monitering every second to see if what they left for has changed, I would hope not because that is unhealthy. But of course everyone still says I'm wrong. But you make an excellent point, and to build on to that point, PvP is Optional so they really can't change any real game thing just for the benefit of the handful of people that PvP. Plus they want a whole system remake not even caring how it may effect legendary PvPers because it obvious that if you change the system it effects all people that PvP. And no matter how much people try to deny it, almost everyone that posts in the PvP forum is strictly for their own benefit so basically only for mid level PvPers. And I hate how they place all blame on KI PvP is fueled by the players and if a lot of people don't match up as a level 30 with over 2 thousand rank which is a majority then they will be matched with a legendary. So of course they blame KI, I just hope it all ends soon.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
eggywig wrote:

practice PvP is soo much better than ranked PvP due to the friend's sit option and pitting those friend sat teams (often the same person playing multiple characters) against randomly sat opponents

Survivor
May 30, 2009
This is a LIE. All Magus's and Apprentice's fight too. Legendaries Fight because they have beat the game, (and are insanely bored) that have nothing to do. My Apprentice Wizard with a (sigh....) Jade Oni Rules in PvP. Even though it's unfair, That's not my point. They try to pair it up as equal as possible.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Only legendaries pvp? thats new to me man. Especially since 90% of my match ups arent. Although they are also 90% of the time out of my league, rating and level-wise.

They can fix it. All they need to do is make pvp level brackets. Im sort of referring to the mechanics of WoW pvp here... if anyone is familiar. Really the only way to keep end-gamers from feeding on first-time apprentice/initiates. It happens much more than you'd expect.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2011
They can fix it, do you want to know how?
I don't mind facing legendaries - that's one thing. At least I can shield. I'm a level 58 Myth and every round, I either have to face a legendary (not bad, I still lose but meh) or, most dreaded of all,

These low level cheaters who user treasure cards as noobs, along with their pet that their other character gave them (uhm, wow.) then they get commander gear. The game is over at that point, it's no fun and is a waste of time.

I have 2000 Health. I was pitted against a level 10 fire with 1000 health.
He had commander gear. His pet continues to use pixie. Which is a HUGE deal when my BEST attack, (Orthrus) buffed with dragon blade, spirit blade and myth blade can only do a tops of 500 damage.

7 Pips gone.

This whole PVP gear is a total disgrace to player vs. player. PVP is fun on it's own. Take out all this extra garbage that goes along with it.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Excuse me, but my point was that if almost nobody is playing except Legendaries at that moment, then you are going to be put up against Legendaries. I know that all levels PvP, but that sentence was an example. That and I think earning a few thousand arena tickets is hard enough and I really think that we should let anybody who rightfully earned their gear should wear it. And Caleb, I don't agree for the soul reason you said 'noob'. I will always disagree with rude people. Sorry! That and if their OTHER character gave them that pet, them don't you think that maybe that person actually has OTHER characters that are Legendaries that they are bored of playing? Just a thought.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
CalebGreenHeart wrote:
They can fix it, do you want to know how?
I don't mind facing legendaries - that's one thing. At least I can shield. I'm a level 58 Myth and every round, I either have to face a legendary (not bad, I still lose but meh) or, most dreaded of all,

These low level cheaters who user treasure cards as noobs, along with their pet that their other character gave them (uhm, wow.) then they get commander gear. The game is over at that point, it's no fun and is a waste of time.

I have 2000 Health. I was pitted against a level 10 fire with 1000 health.
He had commander gear. His pet continues to use pixie. Which is a HUGE deal when my BEST attack, (Orthrus) buffed with dragon blade, spirit blade and myth blade can only do a tops of 500 damage.

7 Pips gone.

This whole PVP gear is a total disgrace to player vs. player. PVP is fun on it's own. Take out all this extra garbage that goes along with it.

You are a level 58 and you can't beat a level 10?

And then you say they cheat because of commander gear, pets, and treasure cards???

The problem is not with them, the problem is in your skill!

You can, critical, you can have universal resistance, you have pips, you have spells, you have enchantments, you have everything that they do not...

Get yourself a pet, get yourself gargantuan, get yourself a strategy...

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
I just saw a great post. Read it, and you might realize you might have been wrong.
I stumbled upon a topic on wizard101 central about balancing pvp. I thought that it nailed 90% of the problems in pvp, and I thought I would post it here, to show KI (again) and the people on these forms. This post was created by Onion Knight over on wizard101 central, and I'll quote it for you.

Onion Knight wrote:
Let's face it: there isn't a single old school player (meaning that they PvP'd when level 50 was the highest you could attain) out there that would say that PvP is at its best right now. During the time when everyone wore the Commander outfit, every school was on somewhat even footing. Yes, Myth, Fire, and Ice were the dominates thanks in part to their damage bubble, but at the same time you would see Storms, Balances, Deaths, and Lifes competing as well. That brings me to my first "suggestion."

Warlord Arena Gear is no longer a good idea. It's the best idea.

Put everyone in the same outfit again. The defensive games of old were where the real strategy lay; not in lucky criticals or spammy attacks. On top of that, school accuracy wouldn't be royally messed over anymore. Life shouldn't be fizzling when Fire, Myth, or Storm (Ice gets 99%, so basically Ice as well) can cast Life spells without fail. Wasn't Life (as well as Balance and Death) designed to be the low damage, high accuracy school? Not since the Waterworks. I know several Lifes that wore pieces of Commander gear just to keep their fizzles down.

Bottom line: Giving everyone the same outfit is not as bad of a hit against individuality as you might think. Ice still has health, Fire/Storm/Myth still have damage, and Life/Balance/Death still have superior accuracy. In fact, this would be much better than the backwards system that the Waterworks dropped on us.

---

Even with the same gear, Fire and Myth are still far and away the top dogs. How do you level the playing field without making everyone the same? I'd like to hear your suggestions. Basically, we're looking for simple little tweaks to the lower tier schools that will make a big difference in their game.

The schools being discussed are Life, Balance, Death, and Storm. Particularly Balance and Death, as the other two are team oriented. Life and Storm could stand to be better in 1v1 for sure, but their real strength lies in the team game as I already said.

Life.

>Give Life a 4-pip DoT spell similar to Poison. This solves Life's biggest problem: being easily predicted.
>Why is Sanctuary 3 pips? Making it 2 gives Life an even field in the bubble war.

Storm.

>Putting everyone in Warlord gear gives Storm the ability to survive.
>Storm needs a DoT just as badly as Life, as a deck of Volcanic Shields shuts it down relatively quickly. Storm Elves are nice and all, but it's time for something that doesn't cost 500 gold per pop.
>Give the Storm Elemental the ability to use Storm Elf.

Balance.

>Power Play should be 2 pips. Enough said.
>I'll copy a line from my post in firestarter75's thread.
"2 pip Hydra.
I can think of more than one case where I lost a tournament match from second when I would Hydra straight into a Volcanic Shield. Balance's damage output wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so annoyingly easy to defend. Toss up 3 Volcanics and Balance is shut down. They can try Spectral Minion, but unfortunately the smart player will knock them down immediately with a 4 pip AoE. There is literally nothing Balance can do to stop Volcanic Shield. A simple solution is to implement a 2 pip spell that does Fire, Ice, and Storm damage. It wouldn't have to be much; just a little spell like Link that was designed for PvP. It would make going second a much more fair game for Balance and give them a much needed unique "tool."
Death."

>Death would benefit most out of any school from Warlord Gear. Since its bubble is basically unusable when in danger, Death could actually use a Mastery Amulet on a school such as Myth or Fire to attack from, thanks to generic damage given by Warlord gear.

---

It's surprising how easy it would be to re-balance PvP. All it would take is a new set of Warlord gear, a few simple edits to existing spells, and one to two new spells.

Thoughts or comments?

-Onion

My notes:

If life got a 4 pip DoT, not only would they no longer be predictable, but wouldn't struggle with shields so much, meaning they wouldn't rely on the myth mastery amulet.

Sanctuary does need to be 2 pips, though the bubble can sometimes hurt life if the opponent is low on health. I think life should get a 2 pip 30% bubble (in between ice and the high damage schools) so they can compete in the bubble war without hurting themselves.

If storm gets a DoT, it would need to be pip expensive like frostbite, and most of the damage needs to be focused on the first hit. If not, then storm would become over powered.

The storm minion should cast storm elf, just make sure it doesn't spam it.

I think power play should be completely changes, it never will benefit the owner as balances pips are already 90%. Someone on the post said it should be +30% damage for your team, and -30% damage for the opponents team. I think that would be overpowered, but if you lowered it to +15% for all friends and -15% to all enemies, then I think it would be fair (and quite useful.)

I agree with the 2 pip hydra all the way, now balance wont rely on shatter.

Death could use a bubble as well as doom and gloom can hurt more then help at times. A +30% would be ideal.

I think ice would fall behind if all these spells were added, maybe a simple spell to keep ice competitive.
-------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, if these changes were implemented, and first turn advantage was fixed, then legend pvp would be nearly flawless.

-Solstice64
All credit goes to Onion Knight.
P.S. sorry for any bad grammar, I don't feel like proof-reading my notes.
I thought this post nailed all the things wrong with pvp, and offered solutions on how to fix them. It was the BEST post I have ever seen in my life.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)