Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Minion Lived!!

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 01, 2010
so yesterday, i was watching someone taking video of spell animations. and saw my friend use take power or something on her balance minion, saw how much damage it was, and wanted to try something out. so me, a fire (trained ice up to tower) got a starter deck, put a minion, take power, and tower shield in it, and got three versions of shield minions, ad used the treasure tower shield from pigswick (after you beat the cow) so i set off for blackhope, and set everything up. the blast ended up making him not only live, but it only did 42 damage.

so my question to all of you is what can be done to prevent this? i dont really think its right, because its supposed to sacrifice you minion, not tickle it...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
slammer111 wrote:
so yesterday, i was watching someone taking video of spell animations. and saw my friend use take power or something on her balance minion, saw how much damage it was, and wanted to try something out. so me, a fire (trained ice up to tower) got a starter deck, put a minion, take power, and tower shield in it, and got three versions of shield minions, ad used the treasure tower shield from pigswick (after you beat the cow) so i set off for blackhope, and set everything up. the blast ended up making him not only live, but it only did 42 damage.

so my question to all of you is what can be done to prevent this? i dont really think its right, because its supposed to sacrifice you minion, not tickle it...

Yes, it is suppose to sacrifice it, but if you put that much effort into shielding it from your sacrifice it kind of negates the reason for using the spell Take Power in the first place. All those shields you placed on the minion cost 0 pips, so by the time you actually cast Take Power, you have more than enough pips. Same thing with sacrifice minions for more health. By the time you have used all those turns to shield, you have taken more health than your minion could possibly give you.

Your scenario is also against a relatively easy boss. Using that many shields on a minion against an equal level boss is going to have a very different outcome on the duel (i.e. Bosses that use AOE spells).

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
slammer111 wrote:
...so my question to all of you is what can be done to prevent this?

Don't cast tower shield on the minion?

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
slammer111 wrote:
so yesterday, i was watching someone taking video of spell animations. and saw my friend use take power or something on her balance minion, saw how much damage it was, and wanted to try something out. so me, a fire (trained ice up to tower) got a starter deck, put a minion, take power, and tower shield in it, and got three versions of shield minions, ad used the treasure tower shield from pigswick (after you beat the cow) so i set off for blackhope, and set everything up. the blast ended up making him not only live, but it only did 42 damage. so my question to all of you is what can be done to prevent this? i dont really think its right, because its supposed to sacrifice you minion, not tickle it...
I think it's fine, because by the time you've got all of that set up, you end up getting no pips anyway cause you're at your max of 7 already. What practical purpose would someone ever use this tactic for to abuse the ability of this spell? -eli and crew

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
How is this a problem? How often are you going to take five turns of preparation, just to save an expendable Minion?

Take Power WILL sacrifice your Minion, if you don't go to dire strengths in order to PREVENT Take Power from sacrificing it. You've created your own "problem".

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
slammer111 wrote:

the spell hurts the minion and if ya manage to shield it alot ya can overcome the lost of the minion

also remember minions are good to have so ya got the minion and the pips
or in other word ya have the cake and ate it to

Hero
May 02, 2009
Simple, just don't pile up a whole lot of shields on your minion when your planning on using a sacrifice minion spell.
Although if you want to keep your minion alive, yet still reap the benefits of the sacrifice minion card, then put a bunch of shields on the minion before using the spell and it should live to fight another day/round.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
slammer111 wrote:

You have a point, but it isn't to much a problem. Cause who would want to spend on all that time and money doing that when actually fighting?

Historian
May 01, 2010
@kingurz & etherchaos
i know that it was against a very easy boss, but this is what i mean- as you said 14 pips actually 10 (cost of minion), though what i meant was the diversity of the thing, if you reread my post, it said it did 42 damage, and that means, that i went a little overboard on the shields, if you took the tower shields out, then you are left with -75% -75% - 80% and the blast does roughly 10,000 damage, so only two or three of those shields would make it live.

@superwiz1560
i realize that i have created my own "problem", and as i said before, i dont have to wait 5 turns to activate it. the best would actually be two turns (2v2 pve and/or pvp)

@grvy123
that is exactly why i think it is a problem, it is meant to sacrifice, not to keep it alive and kicking.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I suggest that you send in a ticket to Support, suggesting that the damage be changed to the maximum that the system allows. That will ensure that the minion is sacrificed, unless somebody wanted to spend a lot of time and effort using rare treasure card shields and conventional shields.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
slammer111 wrote:
@kingurz & etherchaos
i know that it was against a very easy boss, but this is what i mean- as you said 14 pips actually 10 (cost of minion), though what i meant was the diversity of the thing, if you reread my post, it said it did 42 damage, and that means, that i went a little overboard on the shields, if you took the tower shields out, then you are left with -75% -75% - 80% and the blast does roughly 10,000 damage, so only two or three of those shields would make it live.

@superwiz1560
i realize that i have created my own "problem", and as i said before, i dont have to wait 5 turns to activate it. the best would actually be two turns (2v2 pve and/or pvp)

@grvy123
that is exactly why i think it is a problem, it is meant to sacrifice, not to keep it alive and kicking.

but why sacrifice your minion even if it is for pips think of it as a take one shield
it blocks one shot to you or forces enemy to use a aoe spell

dont just give up your minion unless ya need to