Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question for Death Wizards-Spirit Trap/Blade

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 11, 2011
This is my first wizard, currently sitting at level 24 and nearing 25. Right now I'm Death with Ice up to Tower Shield. I was planning on going Life as well, at least up to Sprite (maybe even to Satyr). My question is this:

Should I go into Life first for the healing (still two points short of Sprite), or get my spirit trap/blade first for the added damage?

Right now I am leaning toward the trap/blade since I haven't had a lot of need for healing (and what I have needed is usually handled by my pet casting Spritely, or with Death Shield/Sacrifice if my Vampire isn't cutting it. I just don't want to rush the decision and end up with buyer's remorse.

Historian
May 01, 2010
bjjlucas wrote:
This is my first wizard, currently sitting at level 24 and nearing 25. Right now I'm Death with Ice up to Tower Shield. I was planning on going Life as well, at least up to Sprite (maybe even to Satyr). My question is this:

Should I go into Life first for the healing (still two points short of Sprite), or get my spirit trap/blade first for the added damage?

Right now I am leaning toward the trap/blade since I haven't had a lot of need for healing (and what I have needed is usually handled by my pet casting Spritely, or with Death Shield/Sacrifice if my Vampire isn't cutting it. I just don't want to rush the decision and end up with buyer's remorse.

your points will stack up. all of zekes quests, plus the leveled up points, plus the quests from odgen something in cl base camp, will eventually allow you to get a bunch of stuff, to be specific- you will get 19 experience points if you do all of zekes quests and odgen in cl base camp, and you continue leveling up. so i would go with spirit trap/blade...

Defender
Jul 17, 2010
bjjlucas wrote:

I would recommend spirit blade and trap because if you do more damage, then you can heal more with your drain spells. Plus, soon you will be able to equip amulets that give you sprite and satyr.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Don't bother getting the Spirit Trap until you reach Dragonspyre. It's not that important yet. You'll be getting Feint at level 26.

The Spirit Blade is a good idea, as is Reshuffle from Mildred Farseer.

Unless you're getting a Life Mastery Amulet to fully use Power Pips, there's no real reason to train Life. Your Death wizard has plenty of life-stealing spells, plus Pixie.

You might want to train Ice up to Tower Shield (5 points). This will also get you the useful Volcanic Shield, which gives a 70% shield against Fire and Storm.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
Hello,

Well, you have sacrifice which is a pretty good spell for weaknesses, and it can heal 700, which is not bad, my Legendary Necromancer learned ALL of the Life School, and he also learned the Spirit Blades/Traps, those two are really helpful and they let me prepare big attacks, but, if you do all the Zeke Quests you will have enough training points for both, and then save up your training points for the astral schools (Moon,Sun, And Star) Which are in Celestia and can be start trained at Level 50! :-) Hope I helped

-Mason D.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Get the Spirit Blade now as that is a useful spell to have; the trap you could/should wait to get as you won't use it nearly as much as the blade.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I'd get spirit blade (and wouldn't even bother getting spirit trap) now and sprite later (if you decide you still want the sprite spell later) -keller moonblade, magus necromancer

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
I have a death legendary, and I would not bother training up your life spells. Maybe to Sprite, but I would not go for Satyr. Get the spirit trap and spirit blade, but then save your points, you really don't need much outside death school. Satyr is a nice spell, but without the amulet it can be taking 4 power pips from you which can be used to with Wraith or Scarecrow to heal yourself. And as someone else mentioned, Sacrifice works well too. Just keep a death shield on yourself and you can heal others without the massive pip cost.
Sprite or a pet with spritely is a nice addition but once with an accuracy boost can be just as useful. Death starts with relatively good accuracy, but doesn't get the boosts on equipment that other 'power' schools do. My fire legendary is at 98% and my Storm at 97% where my life and death are still at 90% and 85% respectively. So being able to fizzle wraith/scarecrow/vampire a bit less often is just as useful as a self healing pet skill.
Have fun with it either way. Death was my favorite solo class. A boosted poison spell or 2 can take out even the most shield-happy life enemy. :-)

Explorer
Dec 02, 2010
bjjlucas wrote:

I have a level 38 Death now and this is what I'm doing:

1. I've trained Life up to Satyr (I feel having this spell is good. Even though Death has Absorption spells, these spells are very dependent on blades and traps in order to get a big heal return out of the attack and sometimes you don't have time to boost that particular spell, not to mention the chance of Fizzling can occur). People complain about Satyr's Pip cost, but to me it's no big deal since Death gets a sizable Pip-boost. It's also useful to have it to heal others.

2. I'm training Ice up to Tower Shield so by level 40 I'll have the required number of TPs to learn it. This may not seem like an important spell now (esp. since the Balance enemies and bosses aren't a big worry), but when you arrive in Dragonspyre, the Balance foes like to use spells like Judgment and other off-school damage spells, in which Tower Shield will come into major play when dueling them. And in Celestia, they love using Judgement!

3. It's not needed to train Spirit Blade now. The best time for you to do it is when you get to Dragonspyre (or if you can hold your own well enough, Celestia). And the best time to train Spirit Trap is after you've learned your Astral spells (special mention goes to Fortify, Amplify, Vengeance, Gargantuan, and Polymorph Treant).

I hoped I've helped you well enough! Good luck on your journey! :-D

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
bjjlucas wrote:

Life is a good secondary school for death, especially if you have the life mastery amulet. You have tons of universal traps and one universal blade plus the spirit blades and traps boosted it further. You can more efficiently heal yourself and others, AND you will find yourself able to do high level damage to death enemies without prisms!

Survivor
Jul 04, 2011
Keep in mind opinions are just that but my input is this..blow off life school unless your going to PvP. Saytr can be a blessing in PvP but I dont use any "heal" spells like pixie saytr when PvEing. They are a waste of points. Get your blade for sure plus 35% to a wraith is a nice boost! Even at 54 I keep one vamp in for emergencies and I use dark pact, poison and sacrifice to get off weakness or heal a teammate. (I keep sacrifcie in only when im not solo and only 2 poisons for debuffing opponents who use weakness on me or a minus to death spell shield on themselves) I wouldnt waste points in balance either because while weakness is a nasty spell we have plague just as nice (-20 instead of -25) and we get that for free no point needed.

When your higher level you will have the nice amplifies, gargantuan etc from the sun and star schools. Last night I had a wraith with deathblade, spirit blade, feint, curse and a giant on him with an amplify on myself against a storm class hit for 4600+ it was delicious :-) Plus keep in mind you get crit gear when you level too!

With death the catch on heal spells like sprite saytr is think about this..they cost what 4 pips? Okay well for 4 pips go vamp and do some damage while you heal and as you level for one or two more turns tops go wraith or scarecrow and put a serious hurting on them while really healing above what either of those can do!