Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there any reason to craft gear to equip

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 02, 2011
I'm only level 48, but all of the crafted gear recipes I come across in my adventures are items that I wouldn't wear. All of it except for rings and wands has bonuses to two classes as well, which is curious as second classes vary.

Does this change at all?

Survivor
Dec 21, 2010
I have a level 60 storm who is wearing some crafted gear, as well as the level 60 gear that is dropped from WaterWorks. It is my opinion that the crafted gear is better than the level 60 dropped gear, in that instance.
I have a level 60 life who is not wearing anything crafted anymore, the new gear made her old stuff obsolete.
My balance wizard keeps both crafted and dropped gear in her back pack, and changes depending on the battle.
Most of the crafting recipes take into account that there are different secondary school choices, and in most instances there is a combination for every possible school choice.
Hope this helps.
Jenna

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
JoshuaWilliam1 wrote:
I'm only level 48, but all of the crafted gear recipes I come across in my adventures are items that I wouldn't wear. All of it except for rings and wands has bonuses to two classes as well, which is curious as second classes vary.

Does this change at all?

Yes. To me, much of the 55+ crafted gear is much better than bazaar and some dropped gear. The dual-school crafted equipment is only good if you have a mastery amulet and play your wizard with that strategy. I personally did not use any of the crafted equipment below 55, because of the same observation as you. However, the crafted stuff at the higher levels has definitely improved.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Once you hit grandmaster artisan and level up a little the some of the Celestia and Wintertusk recipes are great, but that also depends upon your style and what you're looking for in gear. Plus some of the more interesting looking clothes are craft only so if you want to stitch the gear for your desired look and stats, it can be worth it.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
I did not do any gear crafting at low levels because I was usually higher level by the time I got to where ever the recipe vendor was. Thus the gear I was wearing was better. So unless you have a friend that will let you port to them, I found it was not particularly useful at low levels. However, the gear in Celestia and Wintertusk is definitely worth crafting.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I'm only level 48, but all of the crafted gear recipes I come across in my adventures are items that I wouldn't wear

I felt the exact same way, until I became a grandmaster artisan. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why someone would craft gear made for two schools without a mastery amulet, and the gear recipes came out before the amulets did.

Crafting your own school deck from Celestia is a nice bonus. And the Stellar Signet from the hidden vendor in Celestia is excellent too.

Wintertusk has some nice single school gear which is the best you can get until you get your school gear in The Waterworks. And I think I still use my crafted athame from Wintertusk.

Just remember, Wintertusk gear has to be crafted at the ice crafting station in the cave in Northguard.