Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fight only Players in your Title!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, some might not like this idea and may disagree, however, I thought I would bring this up...

In PvP, 1v1 anyway, you can only fight players within your title range...

Meaning:

Novice (Levels 1-4)
Apprentice (Levels 5-9)
Initiate (Levels 10-14)
Journeyman (Levels 15-19)
Adept (Levels 20-29)
Magus (Levels 30-39)
Master (Levels 40-49)
Grandmaster (Levels 50-59)
Legendary (Level 60)

Now, in my opinion, if everyone was to face someone in their own league, more people would play pvp. People would not be outclassed, outgunned, and it would certainly level the playing field a lot more...

So, the search starts by looking at players only within your title level and searches for the closest to your rank, then expands to higher ranks.

Now, this does benefit the Warlords that have worked long and hard to get where they are, but then again, they will have to start facing other warlords of their own level...

Now, what you can also do, since this will seperate the levels, although, not sure how well this will work, but level cap all treasure cards to the rank of that spell... So, a rank 3 spell, you have to be atleast an initiate wizard to cast it! (Not sure I like this idea) but I will bring this up still!

Tell me what you think!

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Okay, some might not like this idea and may disagree, however, I thought I would bring this up...

Meaning:

Novice (Levels 1-4)
Apprentice (Levels 5-9)
Initiate (Levels 10-14)
Adept (Levels 20-29)
Magus (Levels 30-39)
Master (Levels 40-49)
Legendary (Level 60)

Now, in my opinion, if everyone was to face someone in their own league, more people would play pvp. People would not be outclassed, outgunned, and it would certainly level the playing field a lot more...

So, the search starts by looking at players only within your title level and searches for the closest to your rank, then expands to higher ranks.

Now, this does benefit the Warlords that have worked long and hard to get where they are, but then again, they will have to start facing other warlords of their own level...

Now, what you can also do, since this will seperate the levels, although, not sure how well this will work, but level cap all treasure cards to the rank of that spell... So, a rank 3 spell, you have to be atleast an initiate wizard to cast it! (Not sure I like this idea) but I will bring this up still!

Tell me what you think!

So in that case it would not only be possible but probably common for a private to fight a warlord. So in the lower levels someone who has probably just started PvP will fight someone with warlord gear. Because like what has been posted I'll bring up evildroid's post on when KI is fixing the PvP issue. That a lot of warlords who are in those mid levels left. So you will have a small group of warlords who will run the arena, and i don't even think they would like it because their wins wouldn't give back a lot of rank at all. Probably like 3 points for a warlord beating a private. I do understand it will try to match you with closet rank, but the arena is already low on Players in specific categories and I think this just means we would be flipping the problem we are trying to fix around. Instead of high level low ranks, we will have Mid level high ranks owning the arena. And because in these message boards there are probably no Mid level privates to post about their difficulties I'll defend them in this.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Meaning:

Novice (Levels 1-4)
Apprentice (Levels 5-9)
Initiate (Levels 10-14)
Adept (Levels 20-29)
Magus (Levels 30-39)
Master (Levels 40-49)
Legendary (Level 60)

Tell me what you think!

So in that case it would not only be possible but probably common for a private to fight a warlord. So in the lower levels someone who has probably just started PvP will fight someone with warlord gear. Because like what has been posted I'll bring up evildroid's post on when KI is fixing the PvP issue. That a lot of warlords who are in those mid levels left. So you will have a small group of warlords who will run the arena, and i don't even think they would like it because their wins wouldn't give back a lot of rank at all. Probably like 3 points for a warlord beating a private. I do understand it will try to match you with closet rank, but the arena is already low on Players in specific categories and I think this just means we would be flipping the problem we are trying to fix around. Instead of high level low ranks, we will have Mid level high ranks owning the arena. And because in these message boards there are probably no Mid level privates to post about their difficulties I'll defend them in this.

Thorvon,

I wont say that it can't happen, but let me clarify this, who would you rather face? A Legendary, with criticals, resistance and stats near or better of commander gear, Health, pips, and spells!

Or, A wizard the same level as you, the same spells as you, with just better gear?

Sorry, but this is a no brainer!

Now, with this fix, a lot more people will start to PvP again, so those Warlord vs Private matches will not be as frequent as you claim they will be!

You have to fix something, in order to change something... Bringing more people into pvp will decrease mismatches...

The only way to do that, is to make pvp fun again and fair!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
For people below level 60, this would make waiting times to0 long. Their aren't many people pvping at low levels, and you have to remember, people that left aren't likely to come back. Most serious pvpers don't enjoy the pve aspect of wizard101, so if they decided to leave pvp, then they probably quit wizard101 and found a new MMO game. Even if people did come back, the match time would still become longer.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
For people below level 60, this would make waiting times to0 long. Their aren't many people pvping at low levels, and you have to remember, people that left aren't likely to come back. Most serious pvpers don't enjoy the pve aspect of wizard101, so if they decided to leave pvp, then they probably quit wizard101 and found a new MMO game. Even if people did come back, the match time would still become longer.

But you still fail to see the big picture! How can you draw in a new crowd or get anyone back, when you are constantly driving people away and making it to where new people don't want to join?

Some people may not come back, some people will, some will stay, because there are not the mismatches that there were before...

Now, longer wait times you say, for lower levels? If you make it more fun, interesting, and fair, would not more people play at all levels? Would an increase in players not decrease the waiting time? Can you all not think of cause and effect scenarios?

Again, I ask this of anyone low level to mid level, who would you rather face? A Legendary, who can critical, has 3000 or more health, has much more powerful spells, and has the resistance or nearly that of commander gear, or a warlord your same rank?

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
This would not be an accepted solution for magus level players who enjoy the challenge of fighting legendary. Solstice suggested in another thread that people should be restricted to fighting people in a larger level gap (25-30). The whole system needs tweaking if you ask me. The game is just plain broken when a high rank initiate gets QUICKLY matched with a low ranked legend, how can the system view this as a fair matchup?

Kingsisle needs to consider the feelings of subscribers about this issue. If they are going to force these unbalanced matches in arena they have to give lower levels with base critical block incorporated into gear or negate the critical system in the match as someone else suggested. Another suggestion is to keep players with critical (50-60) in their own matching group and then all levels below 50 in another group.

As EVilDroid pointed out low level players are leaving arena because of these issues and unfortunately I am one of them, it's just not fun to fight people 50 levels higher than me that have critical.... What I would really like to see is win/loss points trimmed and arena split into two groups as described above but at this point it is just a dream.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

But you still fail to see the big picture! How can you draw in a new crowd or get anyone back, when you are constantly driving people away and making it to where new people don't want to join?

Some people may not come back, some people will, some will stay, because there are not the mismatches that there were before...

Now, longer wait times you say, for lower levels? If you make it more fun, interesting, and fair, would not more people play at all levels? Would an increase in players not decrease the waiting time? Can you all not think of cause and effect scenarios?

Again, I ask this of anyone low level to mid level, who would you rather face? A Legendary, who can critical, has 3000 or more health, has much more powerful spells, and has the resistance or nearly that of commander gear, or a warlord your same rank?

I don't fail to see the big picture darth, I understand people will come back, but many people will have found a different game that they enjoy and won't bother coming back. Its not like they quit playing pvp, but then proceed to sit there waiting for it to change. So there wont be as many low level duelists as their once was. If 8/10 of a lower level duelists match's are against private legends, and you take away the legends, then you took away 80% of our opponents. So if 80% of our opponents leave, and a small amount of mid level duelists come back, I'm pretty sure that's an easy cause and effect.

I am a big mid level pvper, and the fact is, if the mid level is skilled, the match always turns out like this: If the legend doesn't critical, the mid level wins, but if the legend is down ranked or hits critical, then the legend wins.

-Solstice64

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I don't fail to see the big picture darth, I understand people will come back, but many people will have found a different game that they enjoy and won't bother coming back. Its not like they quit playing pvp, but then proceed to sit there waiting for it to change. So there wont be as many low level duelists as their once was. If 8/10 of a lower level duelists match's are against private legends, and you take away the legends, then you took away 80% of our opponents. So if 80% of our opponents leave, and a small amount of mid level duelists come back, I'm pretty sure that's an easy cause and effect.

I am a big mid level pvper, and the fact is, if the mid level is skilled, the match always turns out like this: If the legend doesn't critical, the mid level wins, but if the legend is down ranked or hits critical, then the legend wins.

-Solstice64

I can agree with you on that, however, if you actually look to see who is playing, the levels that are playing, there is not an 8/10 ratio...

Yes, there are a lot of legends... There are still a lot of low level and mid level pvp players...

Now, if you fix the matching system, there will be a lot more players across the board...

Now, sure, it is nice to face the occasional Legendary when on Mid-Level, but to fight them 9/10 of the time?

What ever happened to fighting other warlords your level? They are out there, but they never seem to get matched up...

Which is why, they need to go back to fighting within your title range... Now, after a minute, if you are not matched up, have a screen come up that asks: Would you like to expand your search? Making you fight higher levels...

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I can agree with you on that, however, if you actually look to see who is playing, the levels that are playing, there is not an 8/10 ratio...

Yes, there are a lot of legends... There are still a lot of low level and mid level pvp players...

Now, if you fix the matching system, there will be a lot more players across the board...

Now, sure, it is nice to face the occasional Legendary when on Mid-Level, but to fight them 9/10 of the time?

What ever happened to fighting other warlords your level? They are out there, but they never seem to get matched up...

Which is why, they need to go back to fighting within your title range... Now, after a minute, if you are not matched up, have a screen come up that asks: Would you like to expand your search? Making you fight higher levels...

Honestly, the only way to find out if it brings back enough people is to implement it and see what happens.

darthjt wrote:
Now, after a minute, if you are not matched up, have a screen come up that asks: Would you like to expand your search? Making you fight higher levels...

That's a brilliant idea.

-Solstice64

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I actually kinda like this idea. I would like it even more if there was a setting :-)

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
Competing against opposing wizards of same level range is not acceptable because of rank, Hence the ranking system. Higher rank = better gear.

The problem was people manipulating the ranking system by legends with very low rank and critical attacks teaming up with low to mid level higher ranking wizards to compete with Commanders and Warlords to gain high scores in an easy 'critical win' victory.

The 1v1 aspect of low/mids vs GM's and Legends was due to the rank/level system The higher your rank vs the higher level wizards for a more competative match. The only problem was the program that calculated the match doesnt know about the critical factor of spells. Hence KI implemented Conviction as a trainable spell for critical blocks.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Bedard101 wrote:
Competing against opposing wizards of same level range is not acceptable because of rank, Hence the ranking system. Higher rank = better gear.

The problem was people manipulating the ranking system by legends with very low rank and critical attacks teaming up with low to mid level higher ranking wizards to compete with Commanders and Warlords to gain high scores in an easy 'critical win' victory.

The 1v1 aspect of low/mids vs GM's and Legends was due to the rank/level system The higher your rank vs the higher level wizards for a more competative match. The only problem was the program that calculated the match doesnt know about the critical factor of spells. Hence KI implemented Conviction as a trainable spell for critical blocks.

Thank you for the supposed history lesson and your Opinion!

Problem is, now they are having very low level wizards, even levels 10 and below, because they might have just reached commander or warlord, facing Legendary Wizards!

Now, how is this aspect any different from a low to mid level player that is a private, facing a warlord of the same level?

I will tell you how, because:
1. Legends have a lot more health
2. Legends have more powerful Spells
3. Legends have more powerpips
4. Legends have criticals and critical blocks

Now, does a warlord have any of this at the same level? No

So, it is mind boggling to think that some of you, would rather face a legendary, or think it is more fair to face legends, than it would be to face a person with commander gear...

Someone who:
1. Loses Health because gear does not give boosts
2. Yes, has great resistance, but does not critical you.
3. Has the same spells available

I am not sure what people are thinking at times, but hey, to each his own I guess...

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Survivor
Aug 05, 2011
You took the words out of my mouth, almost. That is an amazing idea for simply, one reason. A good example being a level 37 Myth Magus, my first character, I often get pitted against people who are over level 48, meaning they have their seventh and or eighth pip spell. As my level suggest, I've only unlocked my second last spell. I attack with my best, barely touches them as they shield the whole game, then unleash a move that one hit owns me. This isn't fair because I don't have a spell that even matches theirs and I find myself with like 12 pips without being able to do more than Minotaur - a similar issue for allot of Magus of any school.

Restrict players to only be able to combat people within the learned spell range. For example, if I'm level 32 but my opponent is 35 he already has the upper hand and the game is therefore unfair. This gets rather annoying when people are casting Triton and Super nova on you and your noob buddy. Yes, I am a noob. I can't get past the second rank of pvp because every other game I'm pitted against someone who totally outweighs me.

and treasure cards shouldn't be given a level because we all have the equal right to them. We don't all have the right to a 48 level spell when we're 35.

Survivor
Sep 17, 2011
Yup, I am quitting PvP for this very reason. I am a level 12 and get matched with level 30 and 40. Unfair right out of the gate. Too bad. It seems like it would be fun otherwise.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Yeah, and now, things are even worse!

Now, your lower level and mid level Commanders and Warlords, with or without gear, can face Legends that are between the ranks of private to captain or higher... Now, even if you are a low level, if you win, you gain 2 points!!!! LOL 2 Points! for beating a Legend....

Now, if you lose, you can lose up to 30 points? For real?

This is totally out of whack!

Sorry, but until some serious changes are made to PvP, I am done!

Back to questing...

The only time PvP is fair, is when you are a legend...

Champion
Apr 18, 2010