Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

First 10 seconds....

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
In the first few seconds of pvp lies a dark secret. For some it is just a period of excitement before a match but unfortunately not everyone has good intentions.

The problem: ten seconds is enough time to switch gear and decks based on the school of your opponent... No big deal right? Let's dig deeper shall we?

Ten seconds is enough time to become immune to a school of magic, with a specific set of fire gear and pet talents one can have over a hundred % resist to fire, over a hundred means that when attacked the gear will actually give you a small amour of health. This tactic isn't fire specific either, I have experimented with an ice and death gear set up that can get close to 100% resist with associated pet talents. Anyone who has shown up to a battle against someone with 80~100% resist against them can relate to this thread. Although there are holes in this school specific strategy I think it is distasteful and completely unnecessary since the waterworks gear release.

Gear is only half the problem, decks can be set up to spam school specific dispels and school specific shields to gain an unfair advantage.

I heard a rumor that school icons are coming to the spiral and would hope that kingsisle would keep them out of pvp or disable the access of the menu in the first ten seconds for this reason. School icons have no place in pvp, would cometely ruin spells like cloak and create more problems in pvp, if anyone has any thoughts pls post

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
They already said in the notes from the test realm that icons will remain out of PvP.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Maybe remove the book icon and leave the crown icon upon entering the dueling circle????

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Maybe remove the book icon and leave the crown icon upon entering the dueling circle????
That would only take care of part of the problem. You can also see your opponents school if you click on menu chat and then battle orders, IMO there should be a delay on that too. Right now, as it stands there is no reason to try to disguise your gear because it can be easily determined.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2009
why would you care if they know or not i dont hide anything i am a fire school caster i have had no problems with pvp. reguardless of class that i fight all you have to do is live by the marine corps number one rule adept,overcome,problem solve. use your head for something other then a hat rack.its like when everyone was saying life is to hard to pvp really guys.. life is one of the easy classes to kill. personally i think the main classes of everyone that pvps should be showing lets level the playing field. negate the seconds to change anything either get it right before you pick that fight or deal with the beatin that comes from not knowing your deck well enough to set it up right to fight any class. just my thoughts.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/testrealm

This link will bring you to the update pages. Scroll down to where it is says combat updates and it talks about the icons. And it cleary says and even underlined that they will NOT be icons in PvP.