Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feintaphobia

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
This is a small thing, but I thought perhaps worth mentioning. It concerns everyone's favorite trap, Feint. When my Myth was a baby wizard, she encountered very few Feints, even when playing with others. Now that she's ascended to the Celestial spheres, Feint is ubiquitous, it seems. As it should be--it's a great card. But here's the thing--people are kind of intense when it comes to Feint-ing in a group. Some--but not all--of them kind of lose it if you use their Feint for a spell they deem to be Unworthy of the Feint. I don't mean minor wand strikes, but spells below 5 pips. And let's not forget that accidents happen, too. The original meaning of "feint" has to do with deception--and Feints can be deceiving. They look just like Curses or other lower-level traps. If you're not riveted to your screen during battle--if, say, your child asks you something or whatever--and you miss the +70% graphic, you can mess up someone's Feint. Especially if you are Myth and have several double attacks in your regular deck. And if this happens a time or two, you start to get really nervous when Feints are in play. So it would be helpful to all if Feinting wizards could announce their Feints (as many, but not all, do). And if they have Big Plans for their Feint, perhaps they could let everyone know. Like, "I'm saving that for Efreet," or something. Thus could many uncomfortable moments and ill-considered reprimands be avoided. Just a thought.

Tabitha M.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Tabitha you are so polite. :D I have met people like you describe. I have to be honest they make me crazy. My friends have me spoiled, anything we put up is for all to use anyway they want! That includes the occasional *gasp* wand hit! ROTFL I think all this "Don't use my stuff" is plain old nonsense.
On topic-
You are so right it is easy to miss one being put up. I love your idea of announcing when you put one up and if you want it used for a particular thing.

Megan

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Once a trap is placed, anybody can use it. The original caster does not own that enemy.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Eh, I'm not sure if that really helps. I do tend to space out for extended periods of time while fighting, especially in groups, so even if you do announce your Feint as soon as you cast it I might not see your announcement. I wish there was a way to distinguish Feints from Hexes and Curses in a way that still identifies them correctly.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
A great idea of feint would be to make it look a bit different than the rest of the curses. I usually end up accidentally using them to, thus causing people to get angry with me, but like you said, I'm not riveted to my screen the whole fight.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Megan--You and your friends sound like my kind of players :-) . Of course one tries to play as effectively as possible, especially in a team, but as I said, things happen. (Aside: I had a real bad "team play" week with people I didn't know well, which partially prompted this. When a person is trying to help you, it's not cool to blame them for "attacking your target." Nor is it cool to report the helper's 10-year-old son, who was also asked to help, for merely calling the angry guy "weird." Sheesh. I am reconsidering my good Samaritan attitude, for sure.)

Yes, it would be cool if KI could change the Feint to be more unique-looking in battle. Failing that, please announce Feints if you think of it, fellow wizards. :-) And, again as an aside, please don't rain invective down on people whom you asked for help. Especially not on kids whose moms are present. We are all supposed to be having fun here. As my son would say, peace out.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Hang in there Tabby! Please tell your son hang in there too. Isn't the ignore button wonderful?! Ignore and report buttons are my best friends. I have had those long miserable battles myself. Had one insufferable person my Life would not heal to get a point across. That was awful. But, it worked.

Your post just struck a cord with me. I have more than one inattentive moment and wanded feints. Thankfully, it was usually with my friends who laughed it off. A few times people got nasty. That made me determined not to worry about it and to be nice when others did it. My attitude is everything leads to the end of the battle. I don't care how we get there.

Megan

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
Love your post, its so polite.
I would have to agree with you 100%. Sure accidents happen, and people miss the Feint being cast, but seriously, if you don't want your traps and what not being used by anyone (which we all know there are players like that ) it should be announced at the beginning of a battle.
And yea, theres a TON of kids and inexperienced players that don't fully understand the different strategies everyone uses, which is why I don't like people making such a big fuss over such a small mistake.
Instead of yelling at the player, just be nice, and just say "oops, i was hoping to use that for such and such spell" or something along those lines. :D

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
For a little while i stressed about feints, i have to admit, but as i've gotten more experienced i've learned to 'hope for the best but prepare for the worst'. I generally will announce my feints now, but if they get wanded oh well- i can always put up a new one. also i like to be first in battle and set my friends up with good hits using my feints- especially if i can set up a death wizard to get them some extra healing from a wraith or scarecrow. anyways, if you do accidentally use someone's feint and they get mad, oh well. Que serra serra. -eli and crew

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
It would help if feint was a spell only death could get. But as someone else said, once a trap is placed anyone can use it. Feint is over used these days. Used to, only death wizards used it, but now everyone has a few spells; satyr, tower shield, and feint. These 3 spells are overused. Every single legendary I know except for me has all 3.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
colagada wrote:
Once a trap is placed, anybody can use it. The original caster does not own that enemy.

Absolutely. Group play should be about enabling the group to defeat your opponents, not showing off individual feats.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
thank you!
tabby714 wrote:
This is a small thing, but I thought perhaps worth mentioning. It concerns everyone's favorite trap, Feint. When my Myth was a baby wizard, she encountered very few Feints, even when playing with others. Now that she's ascended to the Celestial spheres, Feint is ubiquitous, it seems. As it should be--it's a great card. But here's the thing--people are kind of intense when it comes to Feint-ing in a group. Some--but not all--of them kind of lose it if you use their Feint for a spell they deem to be Unworthy of the Feint. I don't mean minor wand strikes, but spells below 5 pips. And let's not forget that accidents happen, too. The original meaning of "feint" has to do with deception--and Feints can be deceiving. They look just like Curses or other lower-level traps. If you're not riveted to your screen during battle--if, say, your child asks you something or whatever--and you miss the +70% graphic, you can mess up someone's Feint. Especially if you are Myth and have several double attacks in your regular deck. And if this happens a time or two, you start to get really nervous when Feints are in play. So it would be helpful to all if Feinting wizards could announce their Feints (as many, but not all, do). And if they have Big Plans for their Feint, perhaps they could let everyone know. Like, "I'm saving that for Efreet," or something. Thus could many uncomfortable moments and ill-considered reprimands be avoided. Just a thought.

Tabitha M.

Historian
May 01, 2010
you know, as my fire was leveling up through the worlds, i have met many wizards that just put feints to put the out there, they usually didnt mind me useing spells like pheonix and helephant, though usually did when i used DoTs. but anyway, have you ever thought of putting ninja pigs in your treasure deck? except for medusa, i think its one of the highest normal one hit damage spells of myth. from what i have saw, is basically this: if you hit big, they usually dont care if you use there traps or not.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
colagada wrote:

true but if you cast feint and this is high lvl place like celstia lets say a noob ported in would you want it wasted on sunbird or frost snake you get what im saying

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
SvetlanaVladikov wrote:
Love your post, its so polite.
I would have to agree with you 100%. Sure accidents happen, and people miss the Feint being cast, but seriously, if you don't want your traps and what not being used by anyone (which we all know there are players like that ) it should be announced at the beginning of a battle.
And yea, theres a TON of kids and inexperienced players that don't fully understand the different strategies everyone uses, which is why I don't like people making such a big fuss over such a small mistake.
Instead of yelling at the player, just be nice, and just say "oops, i was hoping to use that for such and such spell" or something along those lines. :D

i agree mostly lots of inexperienced players lots of kids are not inexperienced unless there 7 and under im a kid and fully get battle strategies i play well in team im legendary after a short time playing you cant call all kids inexperienced even though i didn't think you were i just wanted to tell other people out there who might think that

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
blaze552563 wrote:
colagada wrote:

true but if you cast feint and this is high lvl place like celstia lets say a noob ported in would you want it wasted on sunbird or frost snake you get what im saying

Hmmm, a cheating enemy that summons a noob to use up your Feint traps!!!! That is just wrong!

Historian
May 01, 2010
i would like to say one more thing, damage is damage, no matter how useless the spell was/is, it will still hurt the boss/monster. yes, you may not one hit kill or do as much damage as you would have liked, but i highly doubt that you only have one spell in your deck. to me, using up a feint is like someone fizzling, it weakens your attack, and sometimes even making you attack again, but you cant change fizzling.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
I usually try to ask before I use someone's feint unless I'm sure I will kill whatever it is anyway. Sometimes I will attack even if I won't kill, just to draw fire away from someone in trouble. And yes, I've occasionally wanded one too. This happens most frequently when two players cast their spell at the same time. However I would have to agree that it would be wonderful if you could tell the curse, feint and hexes apart other than being glued to the monitor. It would be cool too if you could tell the difference between feints by looking at them (regular, amulet, pet, and treasure). That way you would know how many feints would be taken in your attack. That would probably be a rather significant programming challenge however.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2010
Yes. I fully agree with this thread. I think the attitude of the players who get angry for this should be "Oh, a feint is meant to be used, don't worry, I have more." That's the way it should be. Thank you so much for making this thread to get it out into this wonderful place of the spiral.

~James GiantGem~
~Duncan Dreamer~
~Jessica GiantGem~
~Hunter Spear~