Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP favors one player -_-

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
How does the game decide who goes first?
How does the game decide when you will fizzle?
How does it decide what cards you get?
-_- why did my lvl 28 balance only get 1 point when it beat a grandmaster that really ticked me off all that work for 1 point.

When i needed satyr on a life or death situation it fizzled and the other person won. When i was about to triton to victory the other person shielded then i lost 6 turns later just because i went 2nd i lost from captain to knight in a heart beat then it went downhill from there.

The game always favors one player.

And if you people havent noticed in street fights if you get in a 1v1 the game stalls you by taking a long time attack or making you fizzle just to let the other creature join at the last minute.
That is really annoying. Mods please explain these annoying things

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
I kinda agree with you on this case.

I agree that it is a little unfair deciding on who goes first and who goes second. Maybe there should be a little event in the beginning of the match to see who goes first. Like who presses a certain key first.

I disagree on how the game decides when you fizzle. It is like a spinner. 90% of the spinner is it will work and 10% is the spell will fizzle. It is just matter on what the arrow lands on. This one is just a matter of luck pretty much. You can not control it unless you use accuracy spellss.

I think on the cards you get is also just luck. Not a favor from the game. Just luck. Though, I think the point system is just a little messed up. That one could use a little help.

Luke ThunderShade
Level 60 Conjurer
PvP Warlord

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
akifoniq99 wrote:
I kinda agree with you on this case.

I agree that it is a little unfair deciding on who goes first and who goes second. Maybe there should be a little event in the beginning of the match to see who goes first. Like who presses a certain key first.

Luke ThunderShade
Level 60 Conjurer
PvP Warlord

The main problem with your proposition is that those with a faster Internet connection would always win making it unfair.

The best idea I have seen is a rock, paper, scissors type game that gives an equal chance for all players to win point. Not sure about the programming difficulties on this one so don't quote me ;)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Who goes first is already randomized by the computer. Adding any mini-game prior to the match will only delay getting to the PvP match and won't make a difference in how the first person is already determined. (It would only be adding graphics and slowing the process of what the computer is already doing).

Now, if there was a stopgap mechanism to prevent a player from going second too many times, that would be different.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
A lot of people think that there's "tricks" to make your team go first. But I don't believe in those. I've heard the position is decided by whenever a player clicks go to arena (Like I'll go before the person who pressed it after me). But I've only heard that, I'm not 100% sure that's true. Fizzles are totally random, nothing makes you fizzle. Something that does make you fizzle is dispels.
Yes, I do hate when you only get 1 point after a match. But it might be good for the losing team so they won't lose a whole bunch of points. Thanks for reading!
Caroline Sunbright legendary theurgist
Emily Spiritriver legendary necromancer
& 10 other wizzies

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
Now that I think of it, I do have a slow internet sometimes which makes me miss maybe one turn or two. That could really bring your chances of winning down. Thanks for bringing that up travisAk. And rock, paper, scissors also works as a before game event.

Luke ThunderShade Level 60 Myth

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
akifoniq99 wrote:
Now that I think of it, I do have a slow internet sometimes which makes me miss maybe one turn or two. That could really bring your chances of winning down. Thanks for bringing that up travisAk. And rock, paper, scissors also works as a before game event.

Luke ThunderShade Level 60 Myth

Hey Np :-D

Now king, While I understand that the system is basically doing the same thing in choosing as a mini game there is a clear difference, being that first position gives a distinct advantage to one player some would rather have the fate of going first or second resting in their own hands.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Personally I think anything in pvp that involves chance should be taken out (criticals, fizzles, first turn advantage) but that's just me.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
travisAk wrote:

Now king, While I understand that the system is basically doing the same thing in choosing as a mini game there is a clear difference, being that first position gives a distinct advantage to one player some would rather have the fate of going first or second resting in their own hands.

I agree going first has a slight advantage, however, giving players a way to manipulate it into going first every time (through skill) will alienate those who are just not that good at whatever new system is implemented (which may have nothing to do with PvP itself), but may be pretty good at PvP. Thus good PvP players may end up going second every time, because they are bad at whatever new system is implemented. Plus, like I stated before it delays a match even longer from getting started. The current system (random) seems the fairest way.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
Personally I think anything in pvp that involves chance should be taken out (criticals, fizzles, first turn advantage) but that's just me.

That would mean taking awway every card in the game that's not 100% accurate, including every single attack spells besides wand spells. -_-

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
kingurz wrote:
travisAk wrote:

I agree going first has a slight advantage, however, giving players a way to manipulate it into going first every time (through skill) will alienate those who are just not that good at whatever new system is implemented (which may have nothing to do with PvP itself), but may be pretty good at PvP. Thus good PvP players may end up going second every time, because they are bad at whatever new system is implemented. Plus, like I stated before it delays a match even longer from getting started. The current system (random) seems the fairest way.
Now I understand your point but a game like rock, paper, scissors can not be easily manipulated. The mechanics of RPS are self balancing meaning there is no real strategy, similar to that of drawing straws. I mean it is always possible through observation to predict the non random behavior of an opponent but when the opponent himself becomes random that theory becomes obsolete. I do think that a mini game like this would prolong the progression of getting a pvp match though and I'm not sure how it would apply in group play.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008

</div>
</blockquote>

I'm not sure how it would apply in group play. </div>
</blockquote>

the person that joins the match first can do it
red team- creator of match
blue team-first person to join

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
If first turn advantage was gone, there would be NO turns