Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is this WoW or W101???

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
I have played this game for a long time, but more and more lately I've been rethinking that decision. I am appalled at some of the language I have seen in-game. Someone said something tonight that I can't even repeat here. Needless to say it was beyong tasteless. One of the reasons I started playing W101 is because it was advertised as family-friendly. Is that no longer the case? If this is how you want your game to be, fine. I can move on. But please tell me if I'm wasting my time sending reports. Is bad language allowed even with open chat?

Administrator
uberfemme - as an adult you have opted IN to the 18+ chat option. This means you will see language that most others do not see as they do not have that chat privilege. The freedom to allow you to type most anything you want also comes with the consequence that you will also see what others want to type. Let me reiterate though, that unless the player has proven their age of 18+ through the use of a credit card on the site, they will not see the chat you see.

The 18+ chat is filtered for obvious vulgarities, which is why it's restricted to 18+ players. If you do not wish to participate in this chat, simply remove it from your account in the My Accounts setting.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Sep 30, 2010
Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
Professor Greyrose, thank you for you response. Yes, I understand I can opt in and out of 18+ chat. I haven't received any communication from KI stating the intention that the game was no longer or rather less family-friendly than when I joined. Perhaps there is a warning when opting into 18+ chat, but there wasn't one when I joined. I'm sure you remember the requests for open chat was so people would be able to say numbers or words like "kitchen". That was my understanding when it began. But there seems to be a fundamental change in the way 18+ chat is used since then. If the game is no longer aiming to be family-friendly, please say so. I mean, even if I have 18+ chat, my kids could've been watching me play.

I appreciate the help you are try give us all. But there seem to be decisions being made that affect the game environment, but customers aren't being notified of those changes. None of this is written into the rules as to what's allowed or not allowed. If 18+ chat users are allowed to break certain rules, shouldn't it be specified? Shouldn't we be told what that is? It's all confusing. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
uberfemme wrote:
Professor Greyrose, thank you for you response. Yes, I understand I can opt in and out of 18+ chat. I haven't received any communication from KI stating the intention that the game was no longer or rather less family-friendly than when I joined. Perhaps there is a warning when opting into 18+ chat, but there wasn't one when I joined. I'm sure you remember the requests for open chat was so people would be able to say numbers or words like "kitchen". That was my understanding when it began. But there seems to be a fundamental change in the way 18+ chat is used since then. If the game is no longer aiming to be family-friendly, please say so. I mean, even if I have 18+ chat, my kids could've been watching me play.

I appreciate the help you are try give us all. But there seem to be decisions being made that affect the game environment, but customers aren't being notified of those changes. None of this is written into the rules as to what's allowed or not allowed. If 18+ chat users are allowed to break certain rules, shouldn't it be specified? Shouldn't we be told what that is? It's all confusing. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Really? The warning is in the name: it's called 18+ chat for a reason. I think people just don't get the severity of that. You need to take every factor into account when you opt for 18+ chat. If your children constantly look over your shoulder when you're playing, then you should've stuck with restricted chat. Open chat is just that: open. The chat isn't limited by the restricted chat's vocabulary, which means I can say words like 'pristine' or 'mellifluous'. Of course that also means there are gonna be people that find ways to say what they wanna say regardless of the fact that it's a family game, and to basically accuse KI being irresponsible and tell them, "If the game is no longer aiming to be family-friendly, please say so," because of a choice that you made is pretty ignorant in my opinion. KI does still restrict words that shouldn't be said for open chat and still encourages others to report those who curse around the filters, which is all they really can do because if they start banning words like 'birch' and 'shiite', what seperates that from restricted chat?

Now I'm not telling you how to raise your kids, but please consider what I have to say. We live in a world where cursing is looked at as socially acceptable and not as offensive as it once was. It's definitely plausible that your kids have heard much worse at school than what set you over the edge in the game. I guess what I'm saying is this battle with KI is...futile. It's not the game that has to change; it's the people.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
uberfemme wrote:
I have played this game for a long time, but more and more lately I've been rethinking that decision. I am appalled at some of the language I have seen in-game. Someone said something tonight that I can't even repeat here. Needless to say it was beyong tasteless. One of the reasons I started playing W101 is because it was advertised as family-friendly. Is that no longer the case? If this is how you want your game to be, fine. I can move on. But please tell me if I'm wasting my time sending reports. Is bad language allowed even with open chat?

I noticed that people who have open chat, who are supposed to be ADULTS AND MATURE, grow more and more childish with their newfound abilitie to type stuff they couldn't before.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
uberfemme wrote:

I have not been playing as long as you. When I decided to have Open Chat I read all I could about it. I have two kids. They are older but still, I want them to be safe while playing.

I understood Open Chat is filtered to a degree. The FAQ section and players handbook let me know more or less what to expect. As did the 18+ requirement. The color coded words show that, too. I knew the might see some mild cursing. Believe me they know all about cursing from Elementary School and Junior High. I told them to use that lovely report button and switch realms. Inappropriate things give us valuable teaching moments with our kids. Mine have been taught cursing is not a cool thing.

kaleeraisen wrote:
I noticed that people who have open chat, who are supposed to be ADULTS AND MATURE, grow more and more childish with their newfound abilitie to type stuff they couldn't before.

Open chat is indeed adult oriented. That doesn't mean everyone who has it is 18+. Parents can decide to let their kids have Open. None of my adult friends or I curse or abuse Open. Usually, but not always, when I see someone abusing Open it is someone younger. I can tell by they string a sentence together or not.

Megan

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
The problem is the rules aren't clear. Heck, they aren't even applied fairly. Some players have been sanctioned for cussing in-game while others continue to do so without consequence. Sometimes players are told cussing in-game is against the rules. Other times, we're told we opted into 18+ chat and that's the way it is. None of this is making sense. When 18+ chat was introduced, the game developers saw fit to filter certain words. So, a filter is instituted to keep up the appearances of family-friendly chat. But it's apparently ok to go around that filter in 18+ chat. I'm actually not a prude. I cuss IRL pretty often. It is not the cuss words that bother me. it's inconsistency. Be adult oriented or family friendly. Pick one. Allow cussing or don't. Pick one. Sanction players for rule breaking or don't. Pick one. Just be consistent instead of confusing. Is that really too much to ask?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
uberfemme wrote:
The problem is the rules aren't clear. Heck, they aren't even applied fairly. Some players have been sanctioned for cussing in-game while others continue to do so without consequence. Sometimes players are told cussing in-game is against the rules. Other times, we're told we opted into 18+ chat and that's the way it is. None of this is making sense. When 18+ chat was introduced, the game developers saw fit to filter certain words. So, a filter is instituted to keep up the appearances of family-friendly chat. But it's apparently ok to go around that filter in 18+ chat. I'm actually not a prude. I cuss IRL pretty often. It is not the cuss words that bother me. it's inconsistency. Be adult oriented or family friendly. Pick one. Allow cussing or don't. Pick one. Sanction players for rule breaking or don't. Pick one. Just be consistent instead of confusing. Is that really too much to ask?

The rules are clear. Cursing is unacceptable in the game, but KI can't control what comes out of people's mouths. They can only limit their options, but with those limits come complaints, which is why 18+ chat was created. Just because KI has told you that you opted into the 18+ chat and you should expect this doesn't mean that they're saying "that's the way it is". They're telling you that, although it's not okay to curse around the filters in the game, to expect this and prepare to make the report button your best friend. This game is family-friendly, but that includes all members of the family. I'm sorry, but it seems you're the only one that's confused here.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
uberfemme wrote:

The rules are clear. Cursing is unacceptable in the game, but KI can't control what comes out of people's mouths. They can only limit their options, but with those limits come complaints, which is why 18+ chat was created. Just because KI has told you that you opted into the 18+ chat and you should expect this doesn't mean that they're saying "that's the way it is". They're telling you that, although it's not okay to curse around the filters in the game, to expect this and prepare to make the report button your best friend. This game is family-friendly, but that includes all members of the family. I'm sorry, but it seems you're the only one that's confused here.

I suggest looking at the staff vs players ratio too. I have no doubt a small number of the total staff handles reports. I also have no doubt they are swamped by reports, real and false. Now they have read them, look at chat logs and each players past history. I firmly believe punishment comes to those who deserve it. It just comes slowly. It also is not obvious unless you know someone who is punished.

KI can only do so much. The only way to totally guarantee a truly family friendly game is menu chat only. I for one don't want that. At some point we have to police ourselves. Parents, older siblings and other family members need to take an active part in disciplining rule breakers. I play with my kids. They have Open Chat and don't abuse it. They report rule breakers. They both know beyond a shadow of doubt what would happen here at home if they did.

Megan