Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth underpowered!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
Hi this is johnathan dragonwielder, a conjurer who has played myth for 2 years and has seen it go through thick and thin, and lately i've found that medusa is really underpowered now earthquake/shatter doesn't take stun shields so any school can spend one training point and eliminate medusa's power i mean for one less pip orthrus does fifth teen less damage. I dont know and maybe in the next update KI will raise medusa's damage or give us a inovative good new spell but for now i'm destined to watch my ranked 1v1 losses stack up as yet another fire wizard double effreets me to for the win. Please tell me what you think of this subject, and maybe us myth wizards will see a spell which makes us stand up and crie out " myth for the win."

Johnathan Dragonwielder, legendary conjurer.

Edit. I apologize i thought medusa does fifteen more damage than orthrus when it really does seventy more.

Explorer
Oct 09, 2010
Ya right! I have a legendary conjurer and i am so happy. Medusa with a blade, trap, and a feint it hits three thousand and with a chance of a critical thats six thousand and i even didn't put in spirit blade and amplify and a gargantuan. Medusa is great! As for Earthquake its not the strongest but qith a blade, gargantuan,amplify, and spirit blade it does 1500 and with a critical 3000. Now i know they are weak but they can be made excellent.

Flint Shadowthief Legendary Conjurer
Flint Shadowthief Magus Theurgist

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I agree with you in general that Myth is one of the weaker schools in terms of attacking above Level 50. However, since your focus seems to be on PVP I will point out that you should have posted this in the PVP section and overall PVP has a lot of problems which I personally refuse to delve into because it just creates circular discussions.

My Guess is that you will get quite a few responses telling you that Myth is fine if you know how to use it properly and every school has trade offs that give it advantages and disadvantages. I imagine you can use fire shields on efreet and then use Cleanse Ward to remove the weakness.

If you don't like Medusa, or if they use conviction, then stick with Orthrus; use a Shatter or Earthquake before it to keep the myth shields away and you should do fine. I myself fought plenty of Myth wizards in the arena and found them to be formidable opponents.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010
i think myth actually got the good end of the pet deal

they get and over time, all enemy,6 pip humongofrog.
storm got a kraken that does 645 damage, 45 more than myth does.
plus, myth is 80% accuracy, and storm is 40% accuracy

in the end, myth has one of the best all enemy attack spells and is not underpowered anymore

devin ravenmask, level 41 myth

Explorer
May 05, 2011
Actually i'd have to say that earthquake is really underpowered i mean cant KI just plz upper that damage??? like to 450 or something.

ALSO Medusa:

Ok well i have to agree with all of you medusa is great not great but good but how about INSTEAD of making the damage higher, how about making medusa to ALL ENEMIES?????? :D and if you say that that will be to over powered... then just make her stun for 1 round then instead of 2 :P ok? problem solved

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
For Medusa to be used as an hit-all attack move its power would have to be lowered to about 600-700 and no stun.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Wow, I had no idea Medusa wasn't an all-enemy spell. I am seriously disappointed. I was counting on this spell to finally bring me at least close to the firepower of virtually everyone else at my level. :( I wonder, now, what the designers/developers of the game were thinking when they created this school. Yes, I can now get boosts from star and sun schools, but I'm still always apologizing when I play with other people, because they end up doing all the damage, and there I am, madly shattering and ward-cleansing while also trying to blade and trap my way to a decent-sized hit. And by that time, the whole thing is mostly over. My second school is life, so I can heal people...but really. First earthquake, with its lame damage, now single-hit Medusa. I am going to go cry in my root beer now.

Tabitha Mythrider, Level 54 Conjurer

Explorer
Jun 16, 2011
razm wrote:
Ya right! I have a legendary conjurer and i am so happy. Medusa with a blade, trap, and a feint it hits three thousand and with a chance of a critical thats six thousand and i even didn't put in spirit blade and amplify and a gargantuan. Medusa is great! As for Earthquake its not the strongest but qith a blade, gargantuan,amplify, and spirit blade it does 1500 and with a critical 3000. Now i know they are weak but they can be made excellent.

Flint Shadowthief Legendary Conjurer
Flint Shadowthief Magus Theurgist
You got that right
Hey ya Umm try to find me Heather SoulStalker lvl 22 Or BriannaSunRunner lvl 15 P.S no text chat :[ plz find me

Champion
May 03, 2011
I have been thinking more about this, and I am still wondering. Myth is a great school at lower levels. I got myth because I just started playing and I answered the questionnaire at the beginning. I knew I would be soloing a lot because of my schedule, so Myth looked like the right school for me. And it was--until Grandmaster level. At that point, weirdly, it becomes a school you absolutely can't solo with, because of low damage. Minions are useless b/c their health is so low. I haven't got Talos yet, but with 1000 health, that's like two hits by Piscean mobs and he's dead. Okay, four if he shields. And yeah, using Feint you can up your damage, but I can't spare the 30%, frankly. Not by myself. Here's the thing--at level 54, the best card in my deck is still the Frog. Which I got at 22. With blades, traps, Giant, and a lucky critical, it's absolutely top of the line. I love my Moondoggie (Orthrus), because the animation rocks and he does a great job killing one guy. When I'm playing with other people, he's awesome. I've even started using Earthquake more, padding it with other cards and hoping to crit. But you know, I think it's interesting that I haven't seen Medusa once, yet. I've seen every other 58 spell in my travels. I wonder if Myths just bail on their wizards and start playing another school at this level. Because my level 40 Death is just finishing Mooshu and starting look more promising. This is sad because my Myth was my first wiz, she's got the most friends, and I really do feel connected to her. But I just don't know. Let's just say I've become good friends with the Life Henchman as I travel through CL and WT at night. Rose, unfortunately, isn't much of a conversationalist. And although she's got a good heart, she's just not that smart. Sigh.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
I have been thinking more about this, and I am still wondering. Myth is a great school at lower levels. I got myth because I just started playing and I answered the questionnaire at the beginning. I knew I would be soloing a lot because of my schedule, so Myth looked like the right school for me. And it was--until Grandmaster level. At that point, weirdly, it becomes a school you absolutely can't solo with, because of low damage. Minions are useless b/c their health is so low. I haven't got Talos yet, but with 1000 health, that's like two hits by Piscean mobs and he's dead. Okay, four if he shields. And yeah, using Feint you can up your damage, but I can't spare the 30%, frankly. Not by myself. Here's the thing--at level 54, the best card in my deck is still the Frog. Which I got at 22. With blades, traps, Giant, and a lucky critical, it's absolutely top of the line. I love my Moondoggie (Orthrus), because the animation rocks and he does a great job killing one guy. When I'm playing with other people, he's awesome. I've even started using Earthquake more, padding it with other cards and hoping to crit. But you know, I think it's interesting that I haven't seen Medusa once, yet. I've seen every other 58 spell in my travels. I wonder if Myths just bail on their wizards and start playing another school at this level. Because my level 40 Death is just finishing Mooshu and starting look more promising. This is sad because my Myth was my first wiz, she's got the most friends, and I really do feel connected to her. But I just don't know. Let's just say I've become good friends with the Life Henchman as I travel through CL and WT at night. Rose, unfortunately, isn't much of a conversationalist. And although she's got a good heart, she's just not that smart. Sigh.

Myth is good to solo with, however, at the higher levels its real strength is in its stategic options and that can make setting it up difficult. Balance has a similar issue in that there are so many options, they can't all fit effectively in one deck. With both of these schools, I set up more decks than with any other school. I will say that medusa is an awesome spell, if only for the fact that you can finally effectively use feint. If you'd like some tips on setting up your myth, I'm sure some folks here would be happy to help if you start a new thread on the topic. I just don't want to stray too far off topic on this one. :D

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I dont think Myth is underpowered by itself. As Myth itself is concerned, it feels about how it should be.

Now, this is what I have ranted on about for years, and something that KingsIsle does not seem to care about at all. So unfortunately....

Myth is underpowered because KingsIsle does not allow Myth to be played to full potential. I am not talking about PvP.

Starting with Celestia and Wintertusk, minions become impractical to use. They have no defense against critical hits for 1k+ damage. Also, at that point, they are simply too weak to be worth that effort. That leaves Myth wizards without minions. Myth at that point has already been weakened. In dungeons, Myth wizards cannot summon any minions altogether. For the rules and battle restrictions make it suicide. Not to mention how Myth wizards cannot summon minions in full parties. Again... Myth with no minions.

Now, as for attacks, the stun effects would have been extraordinarily useful. However, on fights where it would matter most, boss fights, stun is useless. Turning Medusa into a weak attack that is only marginally more powerful than Orthrus. A bladed Medusa does only 178 more damage than a bladed Orthrus.

So, now Myth has been reduced to weak attacks with useless effects and forced to fight without minions. False advertising, IMO. So, why is Myth the least popular class in PvE? Why is Myth the least popular class in general? The reason is right here. But KingsIsle refuses to do anything about it, so, nothing will ever change.

Talos was good. But ... What good is having Talos if you cannot summon him in Waterworks or the other dungeons?

Things NEED to be changed in order for Myth to be recognized for what it SHOULD be.
- allow Myth to summon their minions with a full group. There are two spaces left that can be reserved for Myth's minions. Myth specializes in calling minions. At least that is what we are led to believe.
- allow Myth's minions to bypass all those little battle rules and restrictions. The minions are an extension of Myth's power. That would only establish the control they should normally have over their minions.
- allow Myth's spell effects to actually work. It is obvious that Myth sacrifices direct power for stuns. Allow the stuns from Myth wizards to work 100%. Even on bosses. That again would establish Myth's specialty in stun effects and allow Myth to reach the level of potential that they SHOULD have.

I want my fellow wizards to reply to this. I really want to know peoples' opinions about this.

Champion
May 03, 2011
@gtarhannon--thanks, I will start a thread on deck set-up. I am new to this game, and to gaming in general, so I may be able to get some good advice from people who've been playing the myth school at higher levels for awhile. @shiningfantasia--I couldn't agree more. I took both minions out of my deck after DS. And I seldom used them there, except for street mobs. I'm not thrilled about Talos, although I will go through the process of getting him because (don't laugh) I want all the myth spells, since "Master of Monsters" is the coolest badge out there But 1000 health? Crazy. He won't be part of my regular playing deck. And yeah, after I realized bosses were stun immune, I took that spell out too. It was useless (I don't PvP, btw.). So, because I have an analytic bent, I've been trying to figure out what KI was thinking when they set up this school. This is what I came up with: Myth people tend to be less social (that's the first question, remember, when you choose a school). KI doesn't really approve of soloists--they want to make this a social game. From a business point of view, that makes perfect sense. So the whole myth arc, if you will, is set up to force us loner types to be more social as we progress through the game. Even if we play at 10 pm Eastern time :-( and there are few people out there to help. But the upshot is, few people at higher levels really want to play with us. I get asked by lower levels for help all the time. I've never been asked by anyone at my level since I hit grand. And I like to help, so it's not me. As one guy on my list put it, "Myth is weak." End of story. So we're kind of between a rock and a hard place. I may very well abandon my grand before she hits legend. I can't see getting through the Trial of the Spheres at all, with what I've got. And I worked really hard to get here, so it's super disappointing. :-(

Survivor
May 30, 2011
I also think Myth is a bit underpowered.

My first Wizard was ICE and I did very well with him.
My second Wizard is Myth, and he can not do any thing close to what my ICE wizard could do.

Problem is the minions !!

Minions really need some type of improvement.

I am about to trash this Myth Wizard.

thanks for great game.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2010
I would agree, myth is underpowered. i mean even it's level 48 spell is weak. The only good thing is that they learn they're trap and blade early. it seems myth is very underpowered and has a weird damage set-up.

Anthony Ghostward
Lvl 46 Pyromancer
Look for me in wc, ds, and grizzle or anywhere i am helping!

GO WIZARD101! WOOT!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
I think Myth's biggest problem is too many minions. I am working on another myth now, had grandmaster before, but deleted it once I got his orthrus to epic. I plan to do the same thing again once I have humungofrog pet to epic. Only myth has 5 minion spells, while every other school has 1 minion and 4 different spells. And for Myth to hit properly before you get Medusa, you need to double trap with your biggest attacks. So it is myth blade, spirit blades, trap, trap then you can attack. I think a big portion of the problems with myth could be solved with a multitrap spell like fuel but putting two myth traps on for 1 pip.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
when you said every other school hads 1 minion spell, youre wrong. my balance wizard has 2. mander and spectral (fire, ice or storm. ps: storm is the worst)

Quinn IronSword level 49 master of balance

Champion
May 03, 2011
As of this week, my Level 57 Myth is retiring to gardening and crafting. I am super disappointed, but I just can't see fighting to get Medusa when it's not going to give me anywhere near the power that other schools have at this level. I am getting killed constantly, unless I use henchmen. I have no objection to spending 60 crowns, but it's just not fun when I have to rely on this even for mobs. I guess I wish I had been warned before beginning this school and this character--she was my first and I invested a lot of time and energy on her. I really hope KI will either a) end the Myth school altogether, thus saving others from this predicament, or b) give the school--and the players who've invested time and energy in a character--the tools they need to be competitive. I am taking a break from the game to (hopefully) get my enthusiasm back.

Regretfully,

Tabitha Mythrider, Grandmaster Conjurer