Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-22-11

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Another week past, and it's time for another Feedback Friday! Woohoo!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

For the last two weeks, we discussed Menu Chat. First week, we wanted to know what you would add in battle. Second week, we wanted to hear what you would add to regular chat. This week, part 3 of 3, we want to ask... what would you REMOVE from menu chat that is not used?

As you can see, we only have so much screen real estate, so adding new options can sometimes necessitate getting rid of other options. So we ask - what menu chat options would you remove?

Have a wonderful weekend folks! ::grin::

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
Well, this isnt really removing something, but when i try to tell a menu chat person (i have text) what quest i need help with, the list of areas go WAY off the top of my screen. I think you need to condense them by world, so i dont have that problem. I only get areas that start with like S and below.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Maybe you should get rid of "Can i craft something for you?" or something like that (i forgot) because no one uses it. :) :-) :-o :D

legendary pyromancer

Survivor
May 13, 2010
Professor Falmea wrote:
Another week past, and it's time for another Feedback Friday! Woohoo!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

For the last two weeks, we discussed Menu Chat. First week, we wanted to know what you would add in battle. Second week, we wanted to hear what you would add to regular chat. This week, part 3 of 3, we want to ask... what would you REMOVE from menu chat that is not used?

As you can see, we only have so much screen real estate, so adding new options can sometimes necessitate getting rid of other options. So we ask - what menu chat options would you remove?

Have a wonderful weekend folks! ::grin::

There seems to be a lot of people asking to be gifted,
maybe the words " Sorry No crowns" would be alright?

Survivor
May 09, 2009
I think that some of the least used chat items are the battle orders. First of all they usually are used by journeymen,iniates,novices,you get my drift. Second they usually frustate the higher level teamates, mostly the grandmaster and magus levels. Lastly they mostly say things that dont exist. What I mean to say is they almost always cause problems. Please remove or correct the battle orders for the sake of PvP and the wizard community.

Connor Blossom
Level 51 Theurgist

Survivor
Jul 03, 2010
I would like to see an option to choose which emotes to be placed in an area to quick click what you want instead of serfing through to find what you are looking for.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
Christie67 wrote:

There seems to be a lot of people asking to be gifted,
maybe the words " Sorry No crowns" would be alright?

I don't think I would be that nice, more to the point of "I don't gift". that whole asking for gifts nonsence seems extremely rude to me anyway.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
I think you could Remove or Revise the Battle orders, Cause when someone says "use this spell" I cant find a decent response like "No I got another idea"

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
I think some of the following stuff can go:

Let's go
... back to town (wouldn't this be redundant, since you already state each area)

.... defeat a boss (same reason, since you already have a statement in the quest area and it doesn't specify what boss the player wants to defeat.)

.... duel or to the Arena (doesn't this imply the same thing?)

I need
.... more (I just don't get this one at all)

All of the Fairground stuff (I don't have menu chat, so I could be mistaken on if this is used a lot or not)

All of the battle orders (it is quite annoying most of the time and doesn't make any sense, expecially since the other players can't see your hand.)

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
I know a very unused menu chat, "have you seen any - random reagent"?

Andrew Life garden, Legendary Life
Andrew Ghost wraith, Level 43 Death
Noah Storm sword, Level 29 Storm

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
Well, I noticed that somewhere in the menu chat (not exactly sure, as I have text) it says something twice in the same category.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
I believe the battle chats should be removed. they are used to the point of almost coming off as rude. The people who are telling others to use this or that on this or that beast. these people are from what I have seen younger wizards trying to tell older wizards what to do. It does get kinda annoying in my opinion

Survivor
May 09, 2009
You probaly recall another one of my comments to this feedback friday. I understand many people are sided on some of the messages. Many iniates and apprentices are looking at my other comment and can't help thinking that they are just a distraction or a person to be ignored. Other people who ask people to be gifted might think that they are just annoying people who need to be dealt with as a result of another comment (not mine). I am sorry for these aggressive comments and I apoligize for any inconveince.

Connor Blossom
Level 51 Theurgist

Survivor
Sep 30, 2010
Not sure if this has been addressed yet... The menu chat screen options go completely off the screen to where its a random guess as to what I'm clicking.

It seems like the options (as they expand to more options to communicate) go off the screen to where I can only see the first two or three letters of the word with no clue as to what the sentence says to be able to choose the right one to click on. :?

I've not found the chat option to click yet for: "Can you help me fight a boss please."

Survivor
Mar 20, 2011
Heyz! You should probably remove
This might be too risky.
Can I craft a Treasure Card for you?
Have you Seen any...
You got like 3 or 4 "Thanks" and "Thank You"s You should just leave one.
I like... Your Pet (There is one I like your pet already!)

Yeah. Thats about it. Bye

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
Professor Falmea wrote:

For the last two weeks, we discussed Menu Chat.

Sorry I haven't been part of these discussions. But I have, what I feel are some really good ideas to aid in the usability of Menu Chat. Sorry if these don't fit this week's specific topic, but they are related to menu chat, so hopefully they will get funneled to the right person(s).

1. Menu Chat Search/Filter

When you click Menu Chat, it would be handy if there were a text-input box at the top of the menu chat tree, where you could type in a word or two to filter the list. For example, typing the word "help" would narrow the list of menu chat items down to only those items that contained the word "help". Some other examples of common battling communication filters would be "pip", "hit", or "target".

I don't use menu chat much so I don't have all of the common phrases memorized. But occasionally I am helping a younger wizard and find myself struggling to find the right phrases.

2. Menu Chat automatic "convert"

If I open up the chat window and type "Thanks", or "Thank you", or "You're welcome", those phrases match (word-for-word), items in the menu chat list. When I do that, it would be nice if the system simply matched that item up with a known menu chat item and sent the menu chat item out to everyone so that no-talkers could see.

That would save a LOT of time for those of use that type at 60-80 WPM and would rather just type out "Thank you" or "ty", than go searching through the menu chat for it.

I realize "thank you" is a poor example because it's not hard to find, but there are other phrases that we tend to memorize in our heads, that would be easier to just type than to find the item in the menu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 60 (Legendary Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 60 (Legendary Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 60 (Legendary Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 58 (Grandmaster Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 41 (Master Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 39 (Magus Necromancer)

Survivor
May 27, 2010
i think you should add can you gift me then all the crowns items show like a chat bar then choose one and for rude things i think you should say get away or pls go away or i report you ps i dont mean it in harsh way i always pay for this game and i love it

Survivor
Nov 25, 2010
I use the Menu chat commands with Menu chat peoples/friends, so please don't remove that. :) :) :) :)

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
silverdust46 wrote:
Well, I noticed that somewhere in the menu chat (not exactly sure, as I have text) it says something twice in the same category.

Yes, that is true. The I Like Your: Pet, is used twice in the menu.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2010
I have menu chat and sometimes I have text chat if a grownup is playing with me in my family and my cousin told me to make a post here for practice.

I don't like some of the things like help me find a reagent because there is no way for someone to answer you. Like they can say yes or no but not usually reagents are found on the ground in grassy areas, follow me it might take us a few minutes to find one, guess we can't lets switch realms and find a less busy place where there might be easier to find them, this is the route I use, go here go there.

It took me forever to figure out what mist wood was and where to find it and I just kept walking around asking for people to help me find mist wood then my cousin explained it to me and I realized how dumb I sounded the whole time. So I think this is just not a good question because there is no way to really answer a menu chat person properly.

Also, I have never asked someone to craft something like a treasure card for me and I don't want to craft any for anyone else.

Also, the fairgrounds stuff seems kind of not necessary. You can't play those game with anyone and do they really care if you play and get a good score? I don't. And like the reagents you can't explain what the games are or what good they are to anyone so its kind of limiting so I don't think we need them. You can just say follow me and take them there or I'm going to go to fairgrounds and people know what you mean. And it doesn't even say I'm going to fill my bottles at bottle lady but it talks about the games.

I don't understand the comments about crowns and gifts because a menu chat person can't even read when someone asks them for crowns or gifts. If I have text chat my grown up cousin who sometimes give me crowns says go away from them or don't answer or switch realms or something. A menu chat person can't even know if someone is asking to be gifted so it doens't matter. Also, my cousin turned off my gifting so I can't even gift someone so it doesn't matter if I have text I can't give anything to them.

As far as battle orders go, I guess I can see the point some people are trying to make. But I didn't understand at all until I used text a few times and could actually have conversations with people. If you can't just say what's on your mind its nice to have those battle orders. it can help you tell people what you want to do and other menu chat people and if non menu chat people used them they could help menu chat people. If they don't like what a menu chat person is saying the can just say no and then use the correct battle order. Its hard to tell other menu chat people to upgrade their gear, don't use same school spells on enemies, use a prism spell only on an enemy that is your same school and stuff. I agree that it is hard to find space for everything on the menu and I didn't post on other menu chat days but it might be nice if you could redo lessons like the battle lesson at the beginning from the horse guy in the arena again and again. Or if you could get a help idea from your teacher or the salesman about gear If you never played wizard before it can be a lot to remember and hard to figure out if you can't just ask people in the commons or whereever or have people tell you what you should do without a menu.

It was amazing to me when i first used text chat this whole world that existed outside of menu and all the stuff that people were talking about good and bad I realized how fast I would have figured stuff out if I had had text the whole time. A lot of menu chat people are just bumbling about not necessarily and have no idea that they look like idiots and that is sad.

If something is a menu question and anyone, even a non menu chat person, can't answer properly and completely then take it off then and put a proper explanation permanently somewhere else and then give everyone the ability to say to the menu person follow me and then read this or do this lesson or get this quest and it will help the menu people a lot.

Mastermind
Nov 04, 2010
Squire
Dec 21, 2008
You guys should get rid of "I'm not on that quest" cause I don't really see anyone saying it.

Caroline Sunbright legendary theurgist

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009

Hi, Professor!

If I was to be so bold enough as to suggest something to be removed from the menu chat options it would be this...
stormschool99 wrote:
silverdust46 wrote:

Yes, that is true. The I Like Your: Pet, is used twice in the menu.

The "I like your pet" is in the drop down menu for both the "Pets" and the "I like..." catagory/drop down lists.
It's convenient to have it in both places, especially, in case a wizard is looking in one or the other place first, but, if it was placed in one or the other catagory, it would, at least, give one new space option for a new phrase.
There might be a couple more like this, but this particular set comes to mind that could maybe be removed/changed.
Menu chat phrases are really important to wizards, so I hate the idea of any being removed, but, if neccessary, for space's sake, these would be the ones I would adjust.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010
I think that you should keep the battle orders, but maybe change it up a bit. I have been in battles where i need to tell someone to attack or heal, but i don't know what school they are. So maybe you could change it so that you had to just select their name and then attack, heal, etc. so that then you wouldn't have to go through all of the trouble of figuring out what school they are.

Also I think that you should change "Don't attack my target" to something like "Don't attack (or "Attack")
-1st enemy's symbol
-2nd enemy's symbol
-3rd enemy's symbol
-4th enemy's symbol
I think that would be a lot better than saying "Don't attack my target" or (I think this is one) "Attack my target"

And maybe a "Don't use my trap" saying would be able to replace the "Don't attack my target" saying.

~Laura Skywalker Legendary Balance

Survivor
Dec 21, 2010
i think menu chat is really inconvenient most of the time, bcause a lot of people have text chat and when they ask you questions or say other things to u it is virtually impossible to ever find a decent response. i was really frustrated before i got text chat, especially this once when a text chat wizard asked me how i got my pet and i spent ages searching for a decent answer ( didn't find one in the end) and the other wizard thought i was being rude by not answering... :(