Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Side Worlds, Or Are They?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Grizzleheim and Wintertusk have nothing to do with the main storyline and give superfluous amounts of XP. Therefore, they are referred to as 'side worlds'. However, is this really a fair categorization? There's just one thing that irk me about these worlds. Before, the only reward for completing Grizzleheim was some extra XP and some badges. The recently added Wintertusk has also added a couple of hard-to-refuse incentives to complete both worlds: two new spells and a Lvl. 58 pet. These spells, for the most part, are very useful and I think it's kinda unfair to force people to complete two completely unnecessary worlds for these rewards. They're supposed to be side worlds, right? I think KI should change it so that we don't need to go through Grizzleheim or Wintertusk to get these spells.

Explorer
Nov 20, 2008
Your right it's annoying those cards really come in handy but to go through GH and than WT is very troublesome but the xp is good and they worked pretty hard so that's maybe why they did it

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
Wintertusk is kinda like a history lesson tied up in to a quest
of the present day.
It tells of the grandmother raven saga.

These kind of side worlds are needed to tie together loose ends

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Grizzleheim and Wintertusk have nothing to do with the main storyline and give superfluous amounts of XP. Therefore, they are referred to as 'side worlds'. However, is this really a fair categorization? There's just one thing that irk me about these worlds. Before, the only reward for completing Grizzleheim was some extra XP and some badges. The recently added Wintertusk has also added a couple of hard-to-refuse incentives to complete both worlds: two new spells and a Lvl. 58 pet. These spells, for the most part, are very useful and I think it's kinda unfair to force people to complete two completely unnecessary worlds for these rewards. They're supposed to be side worlds, right? I think KI should change it so that we don't need to go through Grizzleheim or Wintertusk to get these spells.

Those are side spells and side pets.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I agree 100%. This has irked me to no end. :x And it's made worse by the low XP and 'rewards' you get in Grizzleheim. I think this needs to be changed. Why make us go through an optional world (and it's still technically optional because each quest an be declined) to receive spells/pets?

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010
KI could also make it that at level 50 or so, wintertusk is automatically unlocked.
that way, you would have time to get to sudrilund and then be level 55, and if you only do the main line, nordrilund by level 58

devin ravenmask level 41 myth(at my house drinkin root beer)
kyle flamecaller level 9 fire(9 more level till heckhound )

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
It would seem that way. But still it isn't like they are making you do those worlds. If you want your new spells and better stuff and more gold and exp do the worlds it just shows working pays off. But they are still side worlds because no main story quest line is going to make you complete those worlds.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
kingurz wrote:

+1 lolz

I actually enjoy GH and don't mind questing there at all. I don't concider it to be a "side" world, I think it stands on it's own merit.
So it does not follow the Malistare/Morganthe storyline... that does not make it irrellevant or unnecessary.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
hobi wrote:
Wintertusk is kinda like a history lesson tied up in to a quest
of the present day.
It tells of the grandmother raven saga.

These kind of side worlds are needed to tie together loose ends

The "lesson" is two minutes long, and they made it seem like Wintertusk was gonna fix all these plotholes in the story of Wizard101 when it really didn't do much.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
kingurz wrote:

Well, then why are there side spells? If it's in our school, we should have access to it no matter what we choose to complete. I'm not the concerned about the pet, but making us do both worlds in their entirety for two spells and a pet is ridiculous.

Explorer
May 05, 2011
Well i have to say its tempting to finish gh and wt for the spells but its too much work for "Side Worlds" i mean cant KI just give us the pets like they did when we were lvl 48? :?

Champion
May 03, 2011
Personally, I love these worlds. As a student and former teacher of Norse/Anglo-Saxon lit, I really enjoy seeing what the game has made of these legends. I love that "Grendels" are a race/species, not just one guy. Love the pseudo-Nordic/Germanic names--Erik Wyldrune, Finnulf, Hagar, etc. Wintertusk is lovely, too--the Grandmother Raven animation is awesome. I understand the frustration with experience levels and so on--when I started GH at about level 21, I was freaked out by how hard the battles were, and how little the xp rewards were. But now that I'm level 52, it's cool. But I digress--what I really wanted to say was that yes, these are "side worlds," in the same way that real life offers "side quests" that may take you places you would otherwise not have gone, where the rewards can be great. If you are looking for a mostly linear experience, then you can just not go there. But if you are willing to wander off the beaten path, you may find things that surprise, amaze, and change you. I think that's why I like these worlds. They sort of mimic that real-life structure. But yeah, I guess it would be fair to offer another way to get that pet. :?

Defender
May 24, 2009
Chances are if it looks like a chicken and smells like a chicken its a chicken and chickens have there rewards like eggs and there meat[this is a metaphor there is no chicken involved] this is the same with wintertusk and grizzlihelm you can still progress in the main storyline without finishing the worlds but finishing them has benifets, the spells and pets of course theres a substitute for these things treasure cards and you can always hatch but the real thing is better.

Flip your own coin on to do these worlds or not make your own decision.

joseph wyrmbane and joseph duskspear legendary spirits

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
the thing about side worlds is, you don't have to do them! so go ahead, skip wt and gh, i'm not sorry to not see all you complainers there, it would make wt and gh so much more enjoyable! the exp. from these worlds help you in the long run, not give you instant gratification, which the whole worlds wants these days. if you don't want spells to help boost you attacks, fine. if you don't want a pet that gives you good-awesome talents and hybrids, fine. stay on the main world line so we don't have to hear your complaints. the only thing i do sympathize with you is the pet quests. Gh and Wt are beautiful worlds, and i love it there! Ki isnt going to get rid of them just to please a few complainers. stop being sour apples and move on already! if you don't want to go there, then don't go there!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
Personally, I love these worlds. As a student and former teacher of Norse/Anglo-Saxon lit, I really enjoy seeing what the game has made of these legends. I love that "Grendels" are a race/species, not just one guy. Love the pseudo-Nordic/Germanic names--Erik Wyldrune, Finnulf, Hagar, etc. Wintertusk is lovely, too--the Grandmother Raven animation is awesome. I understand the frustration with experience levels and so on--when I started GH at about level 21, I was freaked out by how hard the battles were, and how little the xp rewards were. But now that I'm level 52, it's cool. But I digress--what I really wanted to say was that yes, these are "side worlds," in the same way that real life offers "side quests" that may take you places you would otherwise not have gone, where the rewards can be great. If you are looking for a mostly linear experience, then you can just not go there. But if you are willing to wander off the beaten path, you may find things that surprise, amaze, and change you. I think that's why I like these worlds. They sort of mimic that real-life structure. But yeah, I guess it would be fair to offer another way to get that pet. :?

I totally get where you're coming from, and I have nothing against Grizzleheim or Wintertusk. I'm just saying it's ridiculous to have to go through these two worlds to get the utility spells and the pet. They should be legit side worlds. The only things you should gain from completing these worlds are XP and equipment. I want the option of doing Grizzleheim and Wintertusk or staying on the main storyline without missing out on important spells.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
kingurz wrote:

Well, then why are there side spells? If it's in our school, we should have access to it no matter what we choose to complete. I'm not the concerned about the pet, but making us do both worlds in their entirety for two spells and a pet is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous, it's business. For the crowns players, KI is forcing them to buy those areas to get those spells and pets. It is revenue generation, like all businesses have to do.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
joey987123 wrote:
Chances are if it looks like a chicken and smells like a chicken its a chicken and chickens have there rewards like eggs and there meat[this is a metaphor there is no chicken involved] this is the same with wintertusk and grizzlihelm you can still progress in the main storyline without finishing the worlds but finishing them has benifets, the spells and pets of course theres a substitute for these things treasure cards and you can always hatch but the real thing is better.

Huh?

Defender
May 24, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
joey987123 wrote:

Huh?

ok so what i meant by this was that things have there benifets but you dont have to do something YOU dont want to. it's all up to you there are alternatives to these rewards[treasure cards and hatched pets] but you are the one making your own choice. Now to the chicken part that i think people didnt understand you dont have to eat the chicken [or do wintertusk] but there are certain rewards recieved from the chicken[or wintertusk]that would encourage you to eat the chicken[or do wintertusk. you dont have to do wintertusk but if you do there are benifets to the action but if you dont you gain nothing but your time so make your own choice[meaning flip your own coin if thats what you didnt get the parts in the inside the lines i forgot what they were called are the relation to wintertusk and grizzlihelm get it?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
kingurz wrote:
It's not ridiculous, it's business. For the crowns players, KI is forcing them to buy those areas to get those spells and pets. It is revenue generation, like all businesses have to do.

Well the fact that it's purely for business purposes is ridiculous.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I think it's lame that they added the level 35 spell when I'm level 31. That is irritating! Now I have to get to Mirkholm Keep when I am only at the Boar Camp before I hit level 35 to get that dang spell!

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
kaleeraisen wrote:
the thing about side worlds is, you don't have to do them! so go ahead, skip wt and gh, i'm not sorry to not see all you complainers there, it would make wt and gh so much more enjoyable! the exp. from these worlds help you in the long run, not give you instant gratification, which the whole worlds wants these days. if you don't want spells to help boost you attacks, fine. if you don't want a pet that gives you good-awesome talents and hybrids, fine. stay on the main world line so we don't have to hear your complaints. the only thing i do sympathize with you is the pet quests. Gh and Wt are beautiful worlds, and i love it there! Ki isnt going to get rid of them just to please a few complainers. stop being sour apples and move on already! if you don't want to go there, then don't go there!

You obviously can't read, can you? I never said anything about "instant gratification" or wanting KI to get rid of Grizzleheim or Wintertusk. My point is that I'm not the biggest fan of these side worlds, but I do like the new spells and the pet. I don't get why I need to do these worlds in their entirety to get the spells and pet when they're too useful and important to miss out on!

I can read actually. I read a 491 page book (Crookedstar's Promise :D ) in one day! (Plus the little manga in the back)So don't say I can't! And as for the instant gratification, you may not have said it directly, but you sure sounded like you hinted about it! You said that you have to go through a long, boring, tedious world just to get a spell and a pet. How is that not wanting instant Grat? You sound like you want the rewards without going through Wt.I don't like the fact that you have to go through every area of HF, but if you stick to the mainline quests, you'll get to Nordrilund in no time. I doubt it will change now, so just suck it up and move on. Maybe if you get into the music of the place and slow down, stop complaining in your head, and really look at the place, you'll find that it's not as bad as you think it is. Try plugging in headphones to your computer, if you can. I find that when I can really hear the music of a world, I get more into it. Once you really hear the unique, well sort of unique, instruments that give the place its Nordi/Anglo-Saxon/whatever feel, you just might get into too. That is if you can stop complaining for once. And please try not to say that I can't do something when you reply. ttfn.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
kaleeraisen wrote:
I can read actually. I read a 491 page book (Crookedstar's Promise :D ) in one day! (Plus the little manga in the back)So don't say I can't! And as for the instant gratification, you may not have said it directly, but you sure sounded like you hinted about it! You said that you have to go through a long, boring, tedious world just to get a spell and a pet. How is that not wanting instant Grat? You sound like you want the rewards without going through Wt.I don't like the fact that you have to go through every area of HF, but if you stick to the mainline quests, you'll get to Nordrilund in no time. I doubt it will change now, so just suck it up and move on. Maybe if you get into the music of the place and slow down, stop complaining in your head, and really look at the place, you'll find that it's not as bad as you think it is. Try plugging in headphones to your computer, if you can. I find that when I can really hear the music of a world, I get more into it. Once you really hear the unique, well sort of unique, instruments that give the place its Nordi/Anglo-Saxon/whatever feel, you just might get into too. That is if you can stop complaining for once. And please try not to say that I can't do something when you reply. ttfn.

First, I was being facetious. Second, wow, you read a book. I guess that proves me wrong...except that this is the internet where you can, you know, lie about stuff. Anyway, moving on. I didn't hint at instant gratification; you assumed it. When I said it's unfair that we have to go through both worlds to get the new spells, I didn't mean they should just hand them to us. I meant the teachers should give us the quests instead of having to get them in some underhanded deal by a shady Grizzleheim merchant. The XP is good, but that should be the only reward of doing Grizzleheim and Wintertusk in my opinion. The only obstacle between a wizard and his/her spells should be spell quests. If they remain in Grizzleheim and Wintertusk, KI should at least consider making the quests for them a little easier. To (once again) assume that I never gave either world a chance is ridiculous. One must fully experience something in order to have a valid opinion of it, right? I guess that was your retaliation to me questioning your literacy (with good reason, mind you). Lastly, I feel the need to remind you that you came here. Do not have the nerve to come here and complain about my complaints when you've already been here and know what this thread is about. Do you and me a favor and please don't post on this thread anymore.