Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ranked PvP is not banded

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I'm quite certain I'll get an earful, but here it is anyway...

Ranked PvP is not now, nor has it ever been, banded. It is a giant queue where everything goes. There has never been anything to select parameters about what group of players you should be matched up against. The fact that many people have developed "low-level" pvp has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ranked. It was not ever designed to limit the matches and the fact that it was being used that way due to quirks in the system probably IS the reason that KI changed it. How many people want to waste time getting perfect pets, arena gear and the like? How many "mid-level" players tried it a few times, then got their clocks cleaned by warlords with apparently unlimited time on their hands then went back to the game and leveled up?

As has been said, many, many times... KI caters to the masses. The elite PvP groups are NOT the masses. I have no problem with KI introducing ranked PvP that is banded, but it doesn't currently exist. If you want to play banded pvp, play practice. After the onslaught of posts over the time I have been here about "get a strategy" and "train your own pet", etc, etc, ad nauseum, it is absolutely hypocritical for those same people to be whining now about how KI "broke" the system. Instead of complaining about something that isn't broken, why don't you petition KI to make a new product that you would like better?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Gtar you never disappoint. But I think there are more than a handful of people who have been saying this and it really isn't getting through.

I think it is really a hard acceptance is why. All these people have done is just PvP. So as soon as their ability to win is in question they immediately slam KI. And the complaints are in the masses about it.

But the funniest thing is. You see it all the people that are complaining now, have been calling everyone complainers and now it is like the shoe is on the other foot lol.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
I'm quite certain I'll get an earful, but here it is anyway...

Ranked PvP is not now, nor has it ever been, banded. It is a giant queue where everything goes. There has never been anything to select parameters about what group of players you should be matched up against. The fact that many people have developed "low-level" pvp has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ranked. It was not ever designed to limit the matches and the fact that it was being used that way due to quirks in the system probably IS the reason that KI changed it. How many people want to waste time getting perfect pets, arena gear and the like? How many "mid-level" players tried it a few times, then got their clocks cleaned by warlords with apparently unlimited time on their hands then went back to the game and leveled up?

As has been said, many, many times... KI caters to the masses. The elite PvP groups are NOT the masses. I have no problem with KI introducing ranked PvP that is banded, but it doesn't currently exist. If you want to play banded pvp, play practice. After the onslaught of posts over the time I have been here about "get a strategy" and "train your own pet", etc, etc, ad nauseum, it is absolutely hypocritical for those same people to be whining now about how KI "broke" the system. Instead of complaining about something that isn't broken, why don't you petition KI to make a new product that you would like better?

How about finding something else to spend my money on? That's much easier than a petition. Why would one spend time or REAL money on treasure cards to fight a battle they can't win? 50 level gap is ridiculous... Hey GTar , why don't you make a level ten wizard and take it through celestia and then come back here and write about how much fun you had? Keeping your core players in mind would probably be a wise choice in a quest for catering to the masses. PvP is a joke now for anyone below legend, so when it comes to your "take it or leave it" attitude, I think I'll leave it for awhile. That being said I will never stop fighting for something I love or enjoy, rather than choke on something I spend MY money on and don't agree with the change.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Oh BTW frozen armor is not a useless spell which brings up a question

"why don't you petition KI to make you a new product for you?"

Well... Why don't you?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Very well put Gtarhannon!

I really wish KI would change it so all the complainers would be stuck in que for hours on end waiting on these specified levels. Then we could reference all these posts on the new complaints of, "I never get PvP matches."

Just like you see now from the Pet Derby folks trying to race at Epic.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
travisAk wrote:
How about finding something else to spend my money on? That's much easier than a petition. Why would one spend time or REAL money on treasure cards to fight a battle they can't win? 50 level gap is ridiculous... Hey GTar , why don't you make a level ten wizard and take it through celestia and then come back here and write about how much fun you had? Keeping your core players in mind would probably be a wise choice in a quest for catering to the masses. PvP is a joke now for anyone below legend, so when it comes to your "take it or leave it" attitude, I think I'll leave it for awhile. That being said I will never stop fighting for something I love or enjoy, rather than choke on something I spend MY money on and don't agree with the change.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I have to note that you didn't refute a single thing I said. If this is the extent of your ability to write a rebuttal at the moment, then I suggest you take a time out and calm down.

Edit: I corrected an omitted word.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
travisAk wrote:

Well... Why don't you?

I said ice armor was useless, not frozen armor. Regardless, I have asked them to make changes that would make it useful. I also never said it was broken, just useless. Do you see the difference?

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Well... Why don't you?

I said ice armor was useless, not frozen armor. Regardless, I have asked them to make changes that would make it useful. I also never said it was broken, just useless. Do you see the difference?

Gtarhannon's suggestions can actually be applied with Ice Armor. KI can't make more people PvP at level 10 or 20 or 30, etc......

Armiger
May 10, 2010
What most here are failing to realize is this:

PvP is now designed to cater to Legendary Wizards and already set Warlords...

It is not for "new people" or "new and upcoming warlords"!!!

Now, any system that caters specifically to the players it already has and does not have a welcome mat for new players to expand that system, is already doomed...

I specifically deleted a Legend and started another wizard over to test. I made 1 a level 27 Death and 1 a level 12 balance... Now, I am the exception to every rule, since I already have epic pets, a supreme strategy... Yes, my wizards, as low as they are, can and have defeated Grandmasters and Legends...

However, most are not as good as I am! Most dont know everything about this game, as I do. Most have not spent a fortune on pets, or the time that I have, on getting the ultimate pet. Those that have, are probably already Legends or Warlords with commander Gear already!

How is any of this helpful to attract new wizards to PvP?

Now, yes, I used to call people complainers... So, I decided to go and see what their complaints were... Now, because I am saying they have some merit, Especially with (Talos) a Minion that should be level restricted, new warlords having to face Legends all the time. Now, it would be different if once you become warlord, you automatically got all the commander gear, but you don't, you have to earn each and every piece... So, how is it fair for these new Warlords, who are low levels, that do not have the commander gear, to face these high level Wizards? Now, most that defend the point and matching system, already have the commander gear! Try starting a new wizards in PvP, tell me how it fairs for you...

Now, minions are not too bad, but Talos, for any low level wizards, is not as easy, especially if you are starting out and dont have commander gear... For those that have been at this awhile, do have pets, commander gear, etc, Talos is easy for you, but what about the new wizards?

We must all open our eyes and see things from all perspectives...

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
What most here are failing to realize is this:

PvP is now designed to cater to Legendary Wizards and already set Warlords...

It is not for "new people" or "new and upcoming warlords"!!!

A "fail to realize" post eh? Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not seeing how anything has changed for the new PvP player. You know how many wins on average it took for my under level 30 wizards to start fighting people with commander gear and spritely pets? 4. That's it. 4. Same goes for my kids and my wife no matter which wizards they use. Is it the time of day we play? Possibly. I can't say for certain there, but its still approximately the same for a "new" wizard starting out as it ever has been for me.

darthjt wrote:
Now, any system that caters specifically to the players it already has and does not have a welcome mat for new players to expand that system, is already doomed...

That is all ranked PvP as it stands has ever done. If you don't wish to spend the time getting perfect pets, acquiring gear, and making treasure cards, there is only so far you can go in ranked. That's just a fact and one, I might remind you, you have told many a forum poster.

darthjt wrote:
I specifically deleted a Legend and started another wizard over to test. I made 1 a level 27 Death and 1 a level 12 balance... Now, I am the exception to every rule, since I already have epic pets, a supreme strategy... Yes, my wizards, as low as they are, can and have defeated Grandmasters and Legends...

However, most are not as good as I am! Most dont know everything about this game, as I do. Most have not spent a fortune on pets, or the time that I have, on getting the ultimate pet. Those that have, are probably already Legends or Warlords with commander Gear already!

How is any of this helpful to attract new wizards to PvP?

Now, yes, I used to call people complainers... So, I decided to go and see what their complaints were... Now, because I am saying they have some merit, Especially with (Talos) a Minion that should be level restricted, new warlords having to face Legends all the time. Now, it would be different if once you become warlord, you automatically got all the commander gear, but you don't, you have to earn each and every piece... So, how is it fair for these new Warlords, who are low levels, that do not have the commander gear, to face these high level Wizards? Now, most that defend the point and matching system, already have the commander gear! Try starting a new wizards in PvP, tell me how it fairs for you...

Now, minions are not too bad, but Talos, for any low level wizards, is not as easy, especially if you are starting out and dont have commander gear... For those that have been at this awhile, do have pets, commander gear, etc, Talos is easy for you, but what about the new wizards?

We must all open our eyes and see things from all perspectives...

They'll have to do what every other new wizard has done... get to legendary, make the pets, play on a level field where commander gear doesn't dump the game on its head, then start making "mid level" warlords with the resources your legendary provides. Would I love to have banded options in ranked PvP? You bet I would. I'd play a lot more often if I could participate in a competitive way without wasting time and energy gardening, training pets, and gathering gold for hatch upon hatch in the hopes of finally getting a perfect pet. But the reality is that we don't have that option, period. Does that mean its broken? No, it doesn't. There's still practice PvP for the more casual gamer... you just don't get the prestige or tickets for winning. However, people are generally more friendly there.