Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Excuses!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Why is it, when people lose in PvP, they always have an excuse?

Why is it, that no matter what you do and no matter what they do, what you do is cheating and what they do is perfectly legal?

I will give away one of my strategies, so, to all balance wizards, pay attention!!!

I was in PvP one day on my lower level character, teaming with my legendary, since almost everyone in 2v2 has a low level and a legend teamed up, that or because I am a warlord, I would even face 2 legends!

Well, a warlord started to trash talk me, stating I was using a Legend, when he himself, was a higher level than me, teamed with a Legend. He was in full commander gear. He was upset because he lost in pvp to my warlord, who was not in full commander gear and my legendary...

Now, I doubt he knew that both characters were the same player, however, I challenged him, stating, that if he thinks he is so good, to take off the commander gear and face me. He would not...

So, I said fine, and brought my Legendary into the mix, stating that the only way he could win, is to have an unfair fight. Well, he stated he had a legendary fire wizard and would face me anytime. I said, fine, I am here, lets do this.

So, anyway, since his friends were there, he could not back down... So he eventually brought his fire, by this time, my friends were there too.

So, the match is created, his legendary fire, with life amulet, lifeforce blade, and all legendary gear... Vs my Legendary Balance, with feint amulet, lifeforce blade, and all legendary gear...

I throw a few shields up, just to get under his skin and build up pips. I then use a feint, so he puts up a tower shield, so I use my amulet feint, he puts up a treasure tower shield, I then put up a treasure feint, he puts up another tower shield... I use 2 quench treasure cards somewhere in there randomly, to keep him guessing on when it is ok for him to attack. I then use shatter, a myth treasure card that removes all positive wards from the enemy... So, yes, I lose 3 pips, however, I have 3 feints on a high pip Judgment enchanted with gargantuan! Needless to say, he did not survive...

Now, I am not saying I can't be beat, although, if I know whom I am facing before the match, your chances are slim to none...

However, the funny thing is, people come up with excuse after excuse... I am a treasure noob for using shatter... He used treasure tower shields!!! So it is ok for him, just not me? He used Treasure blades, I used treasure feint, he used his mastery amulet to cheaply dispel my life spells, to keep me from healing... He would have healed, if he lived, very easily...

He used what he had, and I used what I had, I formed a plan, an attack, and a strategy, yet he calls me a cheater and a noob... lol

Honestly, if you can't learn from your matches and always expect to win, you will never get better in pvp.. Even I keep my eye out for new and better strategies, things that I have not seen before...

I don't make excuses for my losses, I learn from them...

Defender
May 24, 2009
Smart choices you must be good at pvp.

The reason the person most likely made excuses is because he is the one who challenged you and doesnt want to admit what he has done just to spite you.

A few solutions against people who make excuses is saying...

- it's a learning oppritunity start learning

- you could just leave

- or say next time dont underestimate what you dont know about [witch is most likely what he did]

joseph wyrmbane joseph duskspear

legendary myth and death

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
People act that way when they lose. So in some way they find anything to say to defend themselves..?? What do you expect to do about it. You can't tell people that can't complain so yea i mean that is the only answer i can come up with.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
darthjt wrote:

Why is it, that no matter what you do and no matter what they do, what you do is cheating and what they do is perfectly legal?

I will give away one of my strategies, so, to all balance wizards, pay attention!!!

I was in PvP one day on my lower level character, teaming with my legendary, since almost everyone in 2v2 has a low level and a legend teamed up, that or because I am a warlord, I would even face 2 legends!

Well, a warlord started to trash talk me, stating I was using a Legend, when he himself, was a higher level than me, teamed with a Legend. He was in full commander gear. He was upset because he lost in pvp to my warlord, who was not in full commander gear and my legendary...

Now, I doubt he knew that both characters were the same player, however, I challenged him, stating, that if he thinks he is so good, to take off the commander gear and face me. He would not...

So, I said fine, and brought my Legendary into the mix, stating that the only way he could win, is to have an unfair fight. Well, he stated he had a legendary fire wizard and would face me anytime. I said, fine, I am here, lets do this.

So, anyway, since his friends were there, he could not back down... So he eventually brought his fire, by this time, my friends were there too.

So, the match is created, his legendary fire, with life amulet, lifeforce blade, and all legendary gear... Vs my Legendary Balance, with feint amulet, lifeforce blade, and all legendary gear...

I throw a few shields up, just to get under his skin and build up pips. I then use a feint, so he puts up a tower shield, so I use my amulet feint, he puts up a treasure tower shield, I then put up a treasure feint, he puts up another tower shield... I use 2 quench treasure cards somewhere in there randomly, to keep him guessing on when it is ok for him to attack. I then use shatter, a myth treasure card that removes all positive wards from the enemy... So, yes, I lose 3 pips, however, I have 3 feints on a high pip Judgment enchanted with gargantuan! Needless to say, he did not survive...

Now, I am not saying I can't be beat, although, if I know whom I am facing before the match, your chances are slim to none...

However, the funny thing is, people come up with excuse after excuse... I am a treasure noob for using shatter... He used treasure tower shields!!! So it is ok for him, just not me? He used Treasure blades, I used treasure feint, he used his mastery amulet to cheaply dispel my life spells, to keep me from healing... He would have healed, if he lived, very easily...

He used what he had, and I used what I had, I formed a plan, an attack, and a strategy, yet he calls me a cheater and a noob... lol

Honestly, if you can't learn from your matches and always expect to win, you will never get better in pvp.. Even I keep my eye out for new and better strategies, things that I have not seen before...

You had your low level team with a legend because 'that's what everybody else does'?

You know - my classmate drank himself to death during college fraternity hazing because that's what everybody else was doing.

Scores of gangs of kids end up in juvenile jail because they used/sold the wrong kind of entertainment - but everybody else was doing it.

Some traders in Wall Street will trade on insider information to make a fortune because they think everybody else was doing it - before everybody else was free and not behind bars.

I think it's important that our youth understands that a code of honor is not just a thing to recite during Drama Club - that integrity, moral, principles are indeed extremely serious ingredients to life - if everyone else is doing something that's wrong, don't travel with the herd of sheep, then you'll be a sheep, not a shepard.

You either grow up to be your own trailblazing shepard, or you sit there receiving sticks on your back because you do the things 'everybody else does.'

When the Titanic started sinking, everyone was just chilling, not running for the lifeboats. Kids, you learn to do what's right, not what everybody else does, and you'll get to live to teach others to do just this thing when you are ancient after living an epic life.

PS: the scoring fix adjusted scoring, not matching - so fixing the fix wont lead to any improvement in matching as you are seeking. in addition, since the fix did not help legendary PvPers (nor low level PvPers that *cough* need a legend to carry them), you just are really are trying to roll back whatever change does no longer allow you to get easy points from magus and high adept warlords that cannot block your criticals.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
@ Laura,

Don't be jumping to conclusions Laura!

Now, if people are posting about topics and things that are happening, how else are you going to find out if it is true, unless you get into the mix of things?

People can say whatever they want, people here on the boards, infact do state just about anything and everything...

What I like to do, is get to the bottom of things... Get involved, see things from my own perspective, see what is actually happening...

Now, what I did not mention, is those that were mid level, I let them win, because I out ranked them and I outleveled them... They stood no chance, although this only happened once during the entire day that I set aside to see this...

What I saw was simply this... As a Warlord, my level 27 death was considered a Legendary Wizard, so he and my Legendary most of the time, faced 2 Legendary Wizards, or a Legendary and a midlevel wizard...

Now, I agree with you, morals, ethics, and honor is gone from the youth of today... People only care about one thing, themselves... Winning at any and all costs...

However, I did not see any smoke screen or black mantle spamming...

What I did see, is that a lot of lower levels are teaming with legendaries... I see a lot of legends downranking and then doing this to boost tickets and get easy wins...

I do agree with you, the matching system is definitely broken...
The points system that was incorperated did have an effect on the way the new match ups occur, so they are linked... Now, if points were in fact awarded by level more than by rank that is one thing, but when it takes both into account and a level 27 alone can lose 20 points to a legendary private, that is still broken...

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
[quote=laurawatersongYou had your low level team with a legend because 'that's what everybody else does'?

You know - my classmate drank himself to death during college fraternity hazing because that's what everybody else was doing.

Scores of gangs of kids end up in juvenile jail because they used/sold the wrong kind of entertainment - but everybody else was doing it.

Some traders in Wall Street will trade on insider information to make a fortune because they think everybody else was doing it - before everybody else was free and not behind bars.

I think it's important that our youth understands that a code of honor is not just a thing to recite during Drama Club - that integrity, moral, principles are indeed extremely serious ingredients to life - if everyone else is doing something that's wrong, don't travel with the herd of sheep, then you'll be a sheep, not a shepard.

You either grow up to be your own trailblazing shepard, or you sit there receiving sticks on your back because you do the things 'everybody else does.'

When the Titanic started sinking, everyone was just chilling, not running for the lifeboats. Kids, you learn to do what's right, not what everybody else does, and you'll get to live to teach others to do just this thing when you are ancient after living an epic life.

PS: the scoring fix adjusted scoring, not matching - so fixing the fix wont lead to any improvement in matching as you are seeking. in addition, since the fix did not help legendary PvPers (nor low level PvPers that *cough* need a legend to carry them), you just are really are trying to roll back whatever change does no longer allow you to get easy points from magus and high adept warlords that cannot block your criticals.

I believe this post belongs in the lessons to life section xD. Good post laura!

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
darthjt wrote:
@ Laura,

Now, if people are posting about topics and things that are happening, how else are you going to find out if it is true, unless you get into the mix of things?

My foot! This sounds like an excuse! You know you can watch all the leg-noob matches by just clicking on that 'Eye' symbol on the ranked PvP podium and selecting 2v2. Admitting a wrong wont make an arm fall off.

Though there are plenty 'legnoob teams' to be found during the day, there's a special hour at sundown when fair-playing midlevels pack their bags and go home--leaving the dude who has decided to socialize with the legnoobs behind. 'The vamps are coming out' that's the queue to call it quits for the day. The matches become more mismatched, the level of cheaters and exploiters rises sharply and nasty stuff just begins to happen more often in general.

Throughout the day, you 'watch for sharks' - count the number of total matches vs the number of matches that contain downranks or legendnoobs - to decide whether you wade into the water. Some midlevel warlords keep a blacklist of legnoobers - and once you are spotted doing it - they speak to the other warlords to ensure that they get deleted from friends lists and the fair-playing 'clique' remains free of scoundrels and cheats. Some warlords might delete you from the list if you remain a friend with a known 'puppet master', which is just another name for a legnoober.

You're not caught dead 'cheating' - legnoobing - under any circumstance. These warlords are usually tournament warlords and they have a good reputation to uphold --- mostly on the Central forum and among an elite band of PvPers that are at the top of their game.

darthjt wrote:

People can say whatever they want, people here on the boards, infact do state just about anything and everything...

Not really. We can't say everything we want. My first post about downranking was moderated away and I had to write a second one which fortunately was posted -- but anyway I know that with the above statement you're just saying that you're doing 'just as everyone else is doing', stating and saying just about anything and everything.

darthjt wrote:
What I like to do, is get to the bottom of things... Get involved, see things from my own perspective, see what is actually happening...

Well. You could have asked for some advice before stepping in the wildwest ya know -- and again all the matches ocurring at midlevel can be watched - you dont get the cheap entertainment of legnoobing however - my level of guilt would be so obscene at trying to do that, I would not have fun at all.

#1. death does NOT rule adept ladders, it's quite weak actually. #2 fire and ice rule level 29. #3 fire, ice and myth rule the magus 'years' - it doesnt mean that you dont get magus storm warlords (very rare), magus death warlords or magus life warlords but these are rare and you're just a storm legend used to a cushy job ----- destroy the death and make an ice unless you actually care for the challenge of a death warlord. you wont be able to take the death warlord out fishing everyday because you will get frustrated. I dont do that with the storm warlord. To fully enjoy those weak school warlords we need to: (a. get downranking fixed, you might have to post more than once about it on here to get it public/ b. a lot of patience /c. a kickass pet, nothing less that that so / d. a lot of coins / e. post your death warlord strategy on here bc a lot of death students at this level totally suck and need help bad (their school weakness doesnt help them either).

darthjt wrote:

Now, what I did not mention, is those that were mid level, I let them win, because I out ranked them and I outleveled them... They stood no chance, although this only happened once during the entire day that I set aside to see this...

What I saw was simply this... As a Warlord, my level 27 death was considered a Legendary Wizard, so he and my Legendary most of the time, faced 2 Legendary Wizards, or a Legendary and a midlevel wizard...

Good job sherlock, high adepts with high rank are legends in the eyes of the matching system - they are also legends in the eyes of blundering legends who have no clue what's going on with adepts stitching 15,000 coin wands on their bolt blades so the adept warlords actually easy can pass off for a legend that you are killing. There isnt a single reason you should be legnoobing - it's wrong - dont matter if you let one team win - I'm sure a couple of midlevel warlords can give your legend enough of a challenge to keep you there fighting. Some of these teams can even defeat your legend adept combo - they are pro but you shouldn't be screwing up their rank - they worked hard at it.

There are plenty of legends that confused me and my friend at level 29 for legends ourselves. There ain't ANY reason to go leg noobing. You can watch any of these dirty matches you want from the stands.

darthjt wrote:

Now, I agree with you, morals, ethics, and honor is gone from the youth of today... People only care about one thing, themselves... Winning at any and all costs...

Well, Darth, last I checked you were still a teen and your ethics here are really on the fence - I'd say the ethics are not a boy not yet a man - you just dont do what's wrong. You going in there and getting yourself a bad rep with the midlevel gang, you will miss out on a lot of elite players you could have as friends. it just not worth it.

darthjt wrote:

That's cause you were leg noobing in 2v2. The smoke screen spammers exist in 3v3 and 4v4.

darthjt wrote:

What I did see, is that a lot of lower levels are teaming with legendaries... I see a lot of legends downranking and then doing this to boost tickets and get easy wins...

Well, the problem is rampant but as long as you are here arguing about problems that dont exist or in the game causing more problems, nothing is going to get fixed. We need to rally some support to fix down ranking because it really is ruining PvP.

Darthjt wrote:

All we need is low level critical block gear and an end to the downranking and that should improve things a great bit just like the scoring system fix

Darthjt wrote:

The points system that was incorperated did have an effect on the way the new match ups occur, so they are linked... Now, if points were in fact awarded by level more than by rank that is one thing, but when it takes both into account and a level 27 alone can lose 20 points to a legendary private, that is still broken...

This is true that the score fix created legends whose rank suck because they suck, badly, - tell me this is NOT why you are coming to PvP at midlevel with bitterness towards the scoring fix.

The reason a lot of legends suck is because their strategy is to be higher level than their opponent so they do a lot of wrong things in the match usually. The whole problem with the legendary sub-privates is that they are downranked legends that helped a midlevel that sucked. See the suckiness just goes around and around - --- but focusing on fixing the downranking and giving lower levels a chance to block crits through gear should greatly improve these issues.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Actually that strategy you used IS cheating. You need to be more fair in PvP.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:
darthjt wrote:
@ Laura,

My foot! This sounds like an excuse! You know you can watch all the leg-noob matches by just clicking on that 'Eye' symbol on the ranked PvP podium and selecting 2v2. Admitting a wrong wont make an arm fall off. .

First off, Because of your new scoring system and always having to fight legendary wizards anyway, might as well team with a legendary... Why? Because it is easier to be a mid level Warlord and a Legendary Wizard facing 2 Legendary Wizards... So, call it however you see it, that is your point of view and you are not always right, Laura!

Though there are plenty 'legnoob teams' to be found during the day, there's a special hour at sundown when fair-playing midlevels pack their bags and go home--leaving the dude who has decided to socialize with the legnoobs behind. 'The vamps are coming out' that's the queue to call it quits for the day. The matches become more mismatched, the level of cheaters and exploiters rises sharply and nasty stuff just begins to happen more often in general.

You're not caught dead 'cheating' - legnoobing - under any circumstance. These warlords are usually tournament warlords and they have a good reputation to uphold --- mostly on the Central forum and among an elite band of PvPers that are at the top of their game.

You can use the watch option sure, but all that does is show the match ups, not the actual skills of the players or the gear involved... So, what do you actually learn?

darthjt wrote:

Not really. We can't say everything we want. My first post about downranking was moderated away and I had to write a second one which fortunately was posted -- but anyway I know that with the above statement you're just saying that you're doing 'just as everyone else is doing', stating and saying just about anything and everything.

You mean to tell me, you have not seen complaints about life healing too much? Ice having too much resistance? Balance uses Judgment? Storm using Tempest? You have not seen these complaints? Have you been reading the message boards?

darthjt wrote:

Well. You could have asked for some advice before stepping in the wildwest ya know -- and again all the matches ocurring at midlevel can be watched - you dont get the cheap entertainment of legnoobing however - my level of guilt would be so obscene at trying to do that, I would not have fun at all.

I am someone who likes to get into the mix of things, not ask, because most people have a biased view on things. Most people do not look at the problem as a whole, so I tend not to ask, I tend to dive in!

#1. death does NOT rule adept ladders, it's quite weak actually. #2 fire and ice rule level 29. #3 fire, ice and myth rule the magus 'years' - it doesnt mean that you dont get magus storm warlords (very rare), magus death warlords or magus life warlords but these are rare and you're just a storm legend used to a cushy job ----- destroy the death and make an ice unless you actually care for the challenge of a death warlord. you wont be able to take the death warlord out fishing everyday because you will get frustrated. I dont do that with the storm warlord. To fully enjoy those weak school warlords we need to: (a. get downranking fixed, you might have to post more than once about it on here to get it public/ b. a lot of patience /c. a kickass pet, nothing less that that so / d. a lot of coins / e. post your death warlord strategy on here bc a lot of death students at this level totally suck and need help bad (their school weakness doesnt help them either).

As for your comment on Death, I am sorry if you are not good with death, or that most people are not! I am not your typical average player... I can take any school and beat any school with that school, that is the type of player I am... Death is far from Underpowered and for the record, since your Ice does not have a shred of commander gear, if you ever think you can defeat my death, don't sing it, bring it!

darthjt wrote:

Good job sherlock, high adepts with high rank are legends in the eyes of the matching system - they are also legends in the eyes of blundering legends who have no clue what's going on with adepts stitching 15,000 coin wands on their bolt blades so the adept warlords actually easy can pass off for a legend that you are killing. There isnt a single reason you should be legnoobing - it's wrong - dont matter if you let one team win - I'm sure a couple of midlevel warlords can give your legend enough of a challenge to keep you there fighting. Some of these teams can even defeat your legend adept combo - they are pro but you shouldn't be screwing up their rank - they worked hard at it.

There are plenty of legends that confused me and my friend at level 29 for legends ourselves. There ain't ANY reason to go leg noobing. You can watch any of these dirty matches you want from the stands.

Like I said, watching from the stands does not give you an in depth look into these matches or match ups... You said this yourself sherlock!

darthjt wrote:

Well, Darth, last I checked you were still a teen and your ethics here are really on the fence - I'd say the ethics are not a boy not yet a man - you just dont do what's wrong. You going in there and getting yourself a bad rep with the midlevel gang, you will miss out on a lot of elite players you could have as friends. it just not worth it.

Wrong again Laura, I am not a teen, far far from it... I am old enough to probably forgotten more than you will ever learn in your life... But that is irrelevant to the topic...

darthjt wrote:

That's cause you were leg noobing in 2v2. The smoke screen spammers exist in 3v3 and 4v4.

Oh no, I brought others and did some 3v3 and 4v4... I do have friends you know, or rather, I guess you don't know... Most people that know me in the game, don't know me on the message boards, but one thing never changes... If you want or need a win, you come see me!

darthjt wrote:

Well, the problem is rampant but as long as you are here arguing about problems that dont exist or in the game causing more problems, nothing is going to get fixed. We need to rally some support to fix down ranking because it really is ruining PvP.

What problems am I rampant about that do not exsist?

Darthjt wrote:

All we need is low level critical block gear and an end to the downranking and that should improve things a great bit just like the scoring system fix

Darthjt wrote:

This is true that the score fix created legends whose rank suck because they suck, badly, - tell me this is NOT why you are coming to PvP at midlevel with bitterness towards the scoring fix.

The reason a lot of legends suck is because their strategy is to be higher level than their opponent so they do a lot of wrong things in the match usually. The whole problem with the legendary sub-privates is that they are downranked legends that helped a midlevel that sucked. See the suckiness just goes around and around - --- but focusing on fixing the downranking and giving lower levels a chance to block crits through gear should greatly improve these issues.

Yes, giving critical block gear to lower levels will help some of the issues, but fixing the matching system would fix a lot more issues... How is that rocket science? How is it, that you don't understand that?

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
This is why I resort to not talking in PvP. It is better for me not to talk at all since I usually can't find nice things to say win or lose.

Defender
May 24, 2009
Since when is playing your friends considered cheating why would there be level limitations if your playing with your friend after all it doesnt matter if you win or lose but just if your having fun.

i dont see how it matters if your doing this. It is absolutley not cheating because of course it's a kids game [ that does not mean everything is apropiate for children a.k.a creative profanity] if it's wrong it's either against the rules or has been altered in some way.If you know something is bad dont do it honestly half this stuff was taught to you at a very young age it isnt new.

joseph wyrmbane and joseph duskspear legendary spirits

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
darthjt wrote:

Yes, giving critical block gear to lower levels will help some of the issues, but fixing the matching system would fix a lot more issues... How is that rocket science? How is it, that you don't understand that?

Attempted Javascript Attack With COLOR

Armiger
May 10, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Okay, first of all, I want to know, if you understand, even half of what you just said?

A lot of the time Laura, I am in my home, PvPing with Friends... Showing them strategies, giving them ideas, teaching deck setup, etc...

Now, since apparently I have to break this down for you, I shall...

If you make an option screen when signing up for Ranked PvP, you can make options that you want in your match...

Now, yes, that will make finding a match, take more time... However, you are also allowed to have no restrictions, like it is now, and be faced with whomever is online at the moment in an instant...

It would be giving more power to the players... If we want to wait, to get the matches we like, or if we want to be thrown into the shuffle and anything goes... Like it is now...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you Laura!!!

You have broken down the heart of the problem that KI faces in changing the matching system for PvP. Hopefully, others will see your example to understand the issue KI faces with their current system.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:

The entire post is very interesting, but it rests on one firm supposition... that you will remain with no more than 30% of pvpers playing ranked if you add banded options. If you can guarantee that adding banded options to ranked will not change the proportion, then your theory is sound. However, I can tell you that depending on the options presented, myself and off the top of my head at least 10 others I know would play ranked a lot more. Additionally, there would be nothing stopping KI from having the matching system take banded options into account. For instance, if you aren't finding a match under your current band, it could offer to widen the search to other bands.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
About the only way to make the perfectly banded dreams come true, would be to allow wizards to play an imaginary wizard:

"We have not currently found an opponent that matches your search options, however, we have found a player that will play against you as an imaginary wizard."

A menu pops up in the screen of another wizard who is not finding a match:

"Would you like to play an imaginary wizard match?" No one knows if you yourself or the opponent or both will be imaginary wizards.

By now you are asking yourself what IS an imaginary wizard: it's a wizard that is not yourself, it's crafted by the computer to face the opponent - its gear, its level, it's treasure deck, its pet and its school is as perfect a balance as the computer could make it.

Other than THAT, I don't see any other solution to make your guys's 'banded ranked PvP' dreams come true (other than through practice and private arenas).