Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

On False Reporting

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 26, 2011
It seems as whenever i'm roaming about the spiral I see people trying to say words that are supposed to be blocked out. I'm not talking about trying to saying something like "I have third more monsters to defeat before I complete this quest".

I'm talking about people saying things that are not even allowed in open chat. When I keep seeing people using language they should not repeatedly yes, I do report them as they should not be doing this.

After I report them, usually for "foul language" or "offensive behaviour" they usually stop and say, "hey who's the noob that reported me". After that I explain to them that they are not playing that game as it should be played and that words are blocked out for a reason.

After that a couple seconds later I see, "You have been reported" along with the player I reported telling me he reported me for false reporting. A couple seconds later I might even get a report from one of his friends too.

I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else, because it quite often happens to me. Also I think there should be some sort of punishment for people who false report, to show them they are clearly wasting KingsIsle's time and that they are annoying the player who is trying to do the right thing.

Please reply if you have any suggestions or if this has ever happened to you.

Thanks
-Aaron Thunderblade
Legendary Diviner
Grandmaster Artisan

Administrator
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we frequently revoke players reporting abilities.

When you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assess the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just a egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
Hey CrimsonStormBlade,
I like the way you go about reporting people :-) I do the same thing, and like you (and pretty much anyone who has ever reported someone for an honest reason) the person getting reported will do what has happened to you.

The best thing to do? Just shake your head and laugh (to yourself that is).
They'll either learn to follow the rules, or they won't.
And don't worry if someone Reports you in return for doing what is right, cause Mr. Lincoln will see that it's a false report.

(I'm sure Professor Greyrose, or Mr. Lincoln will post a more detailed summery explaining "Reporting/False Reporting" before my reply gets posted)

If not, I hope this clears up any questions about that.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
I never tell people I reported them or why. I have always figured they are going to great lengths to go around the filter and know exactly what they are doing. I also figure they know it is wrong since they can't say the normal word. I also figured they would false report me and create more work for Mr. Lincoln.

I have no doubt sanctions are dealt out quite often. I know one of my son's friend had his account muted temporarily. You just know about unless you happen to know a wizard who has been sanctioned.

Thanks to the OP for reporting people! My son was saying to me recently he has noticed less people swearing around the filter. Hats off to KI for the filter and the actions they take. Hats off to people that take the time and care enough to report people for breaking TOU.

Megan

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
When I see someone do that, I never report them because I'm worried if I report them, they'll report me (or if it's one of my friends) they'll remove me. If I see someone say a cuss word in the text chat form, should I report them?
melcookie925
Melissa Greenrunner, Level 60, Life.
Stephanie Dreamrider, Level 12, Death.
Melissa Stormgem, Level 7, Storm
Taylor Swift, Level 18, Ice.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
melcookie925 wrote:
When I see someone do that, I never report them because I'm worried if I report them, they'll report me (or if it's one of my friends) they'll remove me. If I see someone say a cuss word in the text chat form, should I report them?
melcookie925
Melissa Greenrunner, Level 60, Life.
Stephanie Dreamrider, Level 12, Death.
Melissa Stormgem, Level 7, Storm
Taylor Swift, Level 18, Ice.

If they are trying to bypass the filter, yes. While it tells them they have been reported, they will never know who did it unless you tell them or you were the only other person there when it happened. Even if they figure out you reported them and false report you for "payback" it is only going to compound their problems, not yours. If it is a friend, you should probably defriend them anyways. Friends that knowingly do bad things are not good friends to be associated with and usually lead to greater offensives in the future.

Explorer
May 28, 2009
One time in ranked PvP a guy on my team fizzled 3 times in a row and yelled a cuss word, right when the battle ended i reported him then ported straight home so he coudn't report me.It seems that PvP is the base of cuss words.If a spell fizzles or they lose they start swearing around the filters and when they get reported they report the person back then port somewhere.This is why you should be weary in the arena.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2011
Matinils, did you tell him that you reported him? That it not good, because it can add gas to the fire. I think it would be best not to tell him. Anyways I usually do not see people cuss, except only once.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
CrimsonStormBlade wrote:
It seems as whenever i'm roaming about the spiral I see people trying to say words that are supposed to be blocked out. I'm not talking about trying to saying something like "I have third more monsters to defeat before I complete this quest".

I'm talking about people saying things that are not even allowed in open chat. When I keep seeing people using language they should not repeatedly yes, I do report them as they should not be doing this.

After I report them, usually for "foul language" or "offensive behaviour" they usually stop and say, "hey who's the noob that reported me". After that I explain to them that they are not playing that game as it should be played and that words are blocked out for a reason.

After that a couple seconds later I see, "You have been reported" along with the player I reported telling me he reported me for false reporting. A couple seconds later I might even get a report from one of his friends too.

I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else, because it quite often happens to me. Also I think there should be some sort of punishment for people who false report, to show them they are clearly wasting KingsIsle's time and that they are annoying the player who is trying to do the right thing.

Please reply if you have any suggestions or if this has ever happened to you.

Thanks
-Aaron Thunderblade
Legendary Diviner
Grandmaster Artisan

Yes they do a legendary called me a noob once all cause I healed twice in a row o_O. And then he called me a noob and reported me quite a few times. And he said reporting is fail. =/

Survivor
Apr 10, 2010
i reported some one who kept saying a lot of weird things over and over and just now read that spamming doesn't count has a offense does this mean my report counts has a false report cause i dont wanna get banned :( :(

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
spellwizboy wrote:
i reported some one who kept saying a lot of weird things over and over and just now read that spamming doesn't count has a offense does this mean my report counts has a false report cause i dont wanna get banned :( :(

I doubt KI will ban you for one false report. Wait, it was one report right? O_o What exactly was this person saying? If it's too weird, it might not get posted though, so try to sum it up in a basic form. This might've been posted awhile back, so did you suddenly find that you were muted when you logged on? If not, I doubt you got punished seeing as you didn't know you accidently made a false report.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I agree with everything that's already been said here, and then some. Cursing around the filter is on the rise and, while I a) don't take offense to foul language, b) have open chat, and c) don't have any kids who might be reading over my shoulder, it makes me cringe that people that young have such filthy mouths. It reminds me of a classmate in elementary school- we were in the eighth grade at the time, and he had a little sister in grade 1; we all took the same bus after school, during which I was forced to endure a stream of obscenities and F-bombs from this otherwise-adorable kid... Looking back, I'm like, 'where were her parents?'

I once reported a group of teens for this reason- I was travelling with one of my many wizards through the Commons, and came across a bunch of kids attacking this one, poor girl- they called her all sorts of horrid names, and I felt bad until I realized that she had just as much of a mouth on her as the rest. I, and the other adults who had gathered to observe this exchange, all said that we would report them; one snarkily replied, "nothing ever happens when you get reported", and the other said, "we'll just port out and you won't be able to find us". I politely reminded them that I had my chat-log open, with the entire conversation in it, and that I would do so anyway, then proceeded to report every, last one of them for bad language and abusive behaviour. Don't know what came of it, but I hope that they learned their lesson.

Observation: Most of the cursing around the filter happens in the Commons, and other free-to-play areas- this means that the bulk of the offenders are kids; one can also tell by how they type in 'txt tlk', and the incoherent sentence-structure. One can hardly expect KI to police every, single player- I am a moderator on another website, and there are about a hundred-thousand members for every one of us, which can make 'vigilante justice' difficult. It's important that everyone pitches in to protect the little ones- they're exposed to swearing and other not-so-nice things enough at school and through other media, and none of this language/attitude is appropriate for something that's supposed to be fun.