Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cuss Words

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 15, 2010
Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
ffjkg wrote:
If someone calls you a noob is it a reportable offense.

Sorry you wrong about this. Calling someone a noob is extremely rude (IMO) but, NOT reportable. If you report someone for it you are guilty of filing a false report.

Here is what is reportable from The FAQ section.

"We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention."

Not reportable-

"Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”)."
Megan

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
Genosekuto1 wrote:
In wizard 101 i have seen many wizards who have creatively (and i say that as a bad thing) say cuss words. Such as the f bomb and other numerous dirty language words. I think the wizard 101 adminstrators should make their free chat filter even more secure. Such as looking at the word and thinking about wha it could be. I report everybody who say things like this, just trying to keep the game safe. Austin Shadowwraith.............Incognito Legendary Myth

Yea. People for some reason think reporting is fail

I disagree its to keep us safe

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
actually, i think the word noob should be censored. its overused in most MMORPG and is very rude to hardworking players. i have been witness of that word lots of times, even here even though i wasnt a beginner, but lvl 49

Quinn IronSword level 49 master of balance

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
I don't get why some people think to stop those who are breaking the rules that there should be more rules enforced. If the people who are breaking rules already don't care to follow them, what will implementing more rules do? That will just punish those who do abide by the rules.

Wizard101 has already taken great strides in preventing things like these from happening. As a player, if you are offended so easily from seeing certain words, then take it upon yourself to report the person doing it. Report them and move on. I don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape that they come to the forums and threaten to quit.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
I think that when wizards use Cuss words, that it's just, er, disturbing! In cases when people make you uncomfortable, the report button is you best friend. I recently learned that in a rather disturbing way. Someone wanted to hatch a "pet" with me, in real life. It was gross, considering I'm a tween. He was pressuring me, but a total stranger reported him, and was comforting me. She's one of my new friends, and was sweet. Don't feel afraid to report anyone, even if they say, "I'll report you if you report me!" or something like that!

Good luck and have fun!

Alyssa Pixiedust♥
Level 31 Therigust♣

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
marolin23 wrote:
actually, i think the word noob should be censored. its overused in most MMORPG and is very rude to hardworking players. i have been witness of that word lots of times, even here even though i wasnt a beginner, but lvl 49

Quinn IronSword level 49 master of balance

I agree. And even though a few people use it to mean newbie, most use it as a substitute for the vicious words that the filter doesn't allow.

The filter doesn't even allow words like idiot, but all any of those that want to insult have to do is use noob instead. And they do. A lot. With full intentions of being just as nasty, insulting, and vile as they would if they could figure out how to type out the words that are red in the filter instead of yellow.

it is THE MOST hurtful word in the game.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
izzi250 wrote:
Words of wisdom: Don't swear around the filters in this game, it never works out because there's always that one person there who's going to do the right thing and report you. All it takes is a few slip ups and your out-of this game for good.

Hunter legendwraith level 60 necromancer

Yeah, there's millions of players out there, night and/or day. So don't think you can go unnoticed forever, cussers of the Spiral! I'll come at you with soap and the report button if you do!

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
I know everything in the text box is sent in along with the report, but I would feel so much better about reporting if we had a longer box. This teeny, tiny box we have now just doesn't cut it anymore. I want to go into detail (for the most part) about reporting, so as to make sure Mr. Lincoln better understands the report. Saying that a person was "being inappropriate" or "saying inappropriate things" covers a large range of options, so we should go into detail about what was inappropriate. Anyone else agree?

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
The only time I ever talk around the filters is to say something that isnt a bad word, such as "disco"

BTW I have been reading this and I think kingsisle has a board moderator who is very confused, disobedient, or any motivation for letting something pass that shouldnt, because someone on this thread actually got away with posting 3 cuss words quite clearly, well actually 3 versions of the same one.
I normally dont use smilies but even I must say that deserves a

Survivor
Dec 08, 2010
It is sad what people will say. I have open chat and people say gross things (they go around fliters) So I hope KI can fix this so they can't spilt a blocked word in half (for ex. He lp) For text chat getting rid of caps was a good idea. The commons are more peaceful and gross things or cussing doesnt go on. Wizard101 is NOT a place to say anthing bad or gross and hurt others feelings.

Destiny LightBlossom Legendary Life

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use.

Professor,

I understand what you mean by swearing aroun the filters I dont think we need examples of those. I see people making threats but i dont understand what you mean by predatory threats. Racist comments are very straight forward and very clear to see when they are done.

There are comments I see alot but wonder if they are reportable.

** whoever screens this post i hope you leave this up as this would answer questions that need to be answered by a lot of people. I only post this because it never is answered when I have posted it in the past. Please answer it.

I am speaking about letters. Like "fu". I replyed when someone said that to me and they said it doesnt mean anything or it could mean funny umbrella.
Or "gfy". That could mean good for you. Does such commentary fall under just being rude? Could you please clear this up. Thank you.

Administrator
Temperest wrote:

I am speaking about letters. Like "fu". I replyed when someone said that to me and they said it doesnt mean anything or it could mean funny umbrella.
Or "gfy". That could mean good for you. Does such commentary fall under just being rude? Could you please clear this up. Thank you.

Again, Temperest, you opted IN to the 18+ chat where the restrictions are MUCH less stringent. You are seeing acronyms that other players under 18 are NOT seeing.

Remember when something is written in 18+ chat, it will appear in one of three colors in the entry field - white means all text and open chat players will see it, yellow means only open chat players will see it, and red means no one will see it.

If you have questions about an acronym or word, type it in and if it appears in yellow in your chat box, you can rest assured that only 18+ players will see it. (you don't have to press enter, you can just delete the word before you continue to type)

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
During this discussion the sentence 'private chat' has been brought up many times. I was wondering if 'Secret Chat' is 'private chat.'

You also mentioned that the chat is monitored. Is Secret Chat monitored too?

Thanks,
Legendary Ice

Administrator
h2ulgsyd wrote:
During this discussion the sentence 'private chat' has been brought up many times. I was wondering if 'Secret Chat' is 'private chat.'

You also mentioned that the chat is monitored. Is Secret Chat monitored too?

Thanks,
Legendary Ice

Absolutely all chat is monitored.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Temperest wrote:

Again, Temperest, you opted IN to the 18+ chat where the restrictions are MUCH less stringent. You are seeing acronyms that other players under 18 are NOT seeing.

Remember when something is written in 18+ chat, it will appear in one of three colors in the entry field - white means all text and open chat players will see it, yellow means only open chat players will see it, and red means no one will see it.

If you have questions about an acronym or word, type it in and if it appears in yellow in your chat box, you can rest assured that only 18+ players will see it. (you don't have to press enter, you can just delete the word before you continue to type)

Thank you. That cleared it up for me.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
You guys think getting around the filters is bad? I mean, it is, but you should see what some people have the guts to say in Open Chat. Some kids are so small, they dont get people are trying to get over the filters. Of course, they will find out, but I encourage the older gamers to look out for the open chat players. I, myself, is one. Cause some of these open chat players are kids (Yes, I admit it, such as myself) but I do NOT use open chat for bad stuff. I got open chat to talk more freely. Some words aren't bad, it's just KI forgot to unblock them. Anyways, Some kids get open chat. They LEARN "content" and start repeating it. I do not trust anything that sounds wrong, that I have not heard before. But there are those kids who love to act as adults and use this. I know there are bad kids out there who would cuss anyways, but most of this is the adult's fault. I have seen many adults cussing up a storm right in front of a kid who claims he is nine. Adults stop this nonsense! (I am not talking to the good, nice adults, I am talking to the immature ones.) I report any cuss I see .

Explorer
Feb 03, 2011
flipper2299 wrote:
I think that when wizards use Cuss words, that it's just, er, disturbing! In cases when people make you uncomfortable, the report button is you best friend. I recently learned that in a rather disturbing way. Someone wanted to hatch a "pet" with me, in real life. It was gross, considering I'm a tween. He was pressuring me, but a total stranger reported him, and was comforting me. She's one of my new friends, and was sweet. Don't feel afraid to report anyone, even if they say, "I'll report you if you report me!" or something like that!

Good luck and have fun!

Alyssa Pixiedust♥
Level 31 Therigust♣

Some people can just be so so rude or weird!
but dont worry there are more Ambroses than Malistaires I all ways say! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :D :D :D :D :D

Survivor
Jul 29, 2009
hunteray09 wrote:
....... Cause some of these open chat players are kids (Yes, I admit it, such as myself) but I do NOT use open chat for bad stuff. I got open chat to talk more freely. ..................... I know there are bad kids out there who would cuss anyways, but most of this is the adult's fault. I have seen many adults cussing up a storm right in front of a kid who claims he is nine.

THANK YOU!! I agree 100% and you are a good, well-brought up kid :D Be proud of that! It is most definitely the "adults" who need to grow up and act like adults, and not just in-game either..... it is proven that about 90% of what a kid learns to repeat he leanrs at HOME!!

So think about it parents.... or are you just using this game as a babysitter so you don't have to take time to raise your kids properly and with respect and common courtesy? Many do... I have spoken to some that do just that. It is very sad :(

But WE need to take a stand... and that includes the good and decent kids like this one :) SPEAK UP!! Report anything indecent or predatory, and be proud to be a Ravenwood Scholar :D

Thanks KI fofr a terrific game!

From our 4-member wixarding family!
Kymma Lifebringer
Gabriel Icefist
Hunter Mythcaster
Sabrina Icepetal

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
wizkim56 wrote:
hunteray09 wrote:
....... Cause some of these open chat players are kids (Yes, I admit it, such as myself) but I do NOT use open chat for bad stuff. I got open chat to talk more freely. ..................... I know there are bad kids out there who would cuss anyways, but most of this is the adult's fault. I have seen many adults cussing up a storm right in front of a kid who claims he is nine.

THANK YOU!! I agree 100% and you are a good, well-brought up kid :D Be proud of that! It is most definitely the "adults" who need to grow up and act like adults, and not just in-game either..... it is proven that about 90% of what a kid learns to repeat he leanrs at HOME!!

So think about it parents.... or are you just using this game as a babysitter so you don't have to take time to raise your kids properly and with respect and common courtesy? Many do... I have spoken to some that do just that. It is very sad :(

But WE need to take a stand... and that includes the good and decent kids like this one :) SPEAK UP!! Report anything indecent or predatory, and be proud to be a Ravenwood Scholar :D

Thanks KI fofr a terrific game!

From our 4-member wixarding family!
Kymma Lifebringer
Gabriel Icefist
Hunter Mythcaster
Sabrina Icepetal

Exactly my point :D

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
First of all, I am an adult and sometimes talk like a truck driver. However, there is a time and place for everything, and swearing/abusive language has no place in a game that's meant to be family-friendly; before saying anything out loud, I think, would I feel comfortable saying X in front of my mother, or my 8-year-old nephew? If the answer is no, then I won't say it at all.

Perhaps it's just me, but I've noticed that most of the members "creatively" swearing are kids under 16, whose internet use is probably not monitored by an adult. The rambling, shaky sentence-structure is usually a dead giveaway, as is the fact that the use of those disgusting words by children sounds very out-of-place; I can always tell when it's a child swearing, versus when it's an adult doing the same, because if how uncomfortable it makes me feel. In both cases, I always report, even if the user is rude or threatens me- sure, I don't have any kids, but it's everyone's responsibility to make sure that the game is kept safe and enjoyable, for everyone.

Fortunately, I have also noticed that there's been a decrease in this behaviour, at least when I've been online, and that's a lot of time. :) We are making progress, fellow wizards- let's keep up the good work!

Laura Shadowsong
Lv. 60 Balance

Defender
Mar 11, 2010
Survivor
Jul 04, 2008

Quick question about if I type something and part of it is in white and part yellow. I am almost always typing to my husband so I know he can see what I say. But I wonder what people with open but not 18+ chat can see. Can they see everything I type except the yellow word or does the whole chat bubble just come out with ... ? For instance, my husband and I often abbreviate the spells we are going to use, like SL for Storm Lord and FL for Forest Lord, etc. If I say, "I have a blade for you if you have SL." If I then realize I'm in battle with someone with open but not 18+ chat, I usually just restate "Storm Lord" without saying the whole sentence again. Did they see, "I have a for you if you have ...." or did they just see, "..." ? It's helpful if they see the sentence and I can just replace the word... it helps with strategy if they know he's going to Storm Lord and I will blade him. But if all they see is "Storm Lord" they might think I'm going to Storm Lord and give me a worthless storm blade.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Dizzy wrote:

Quick question about if I type something and part of it is in white and part yellow. I am almost always typing to my husband so I know he can see what I say. But I wonder what people with open but not 18+ chat can see. Can they see everything I type except the yellow word or does the whole chat bubble just come out with ... ? For instance, my husband and I often abbreviate the spells we are going to use, like SL for Storm Lord and FL for Forest Lord, etc. If I say, "I have a blade for you if you have SL." If I then realize I'm in battle with someone with open but not 18+ chat, I usually just restate "Storm Lord" without saying the whole sentence again. Did they see, "I have a for you if you have ...." or did they just see, "..." ? It's helpful if they see the sentence and I can just replace the word... it helps with strategy if they know he's going to Storm Lord and I will blade him. But if all they see is "Storm Lord" they might think I'm going to Storm Lord and give me a worthless storm blade.

If the text is yellow only people with Open Chat (18+) can see it. Text Chat (13+) see ... for whatever is yellow. Nobody can see anything red.
Megan

Historian
May 01, 2010
Dizzy wrote:

when someone who has text chat is speaking to someone with open chat, whatever is in open chat, goes through to the text chat as ... and yea the first choice was correct, it would go through as " I have a blade for you if you have ... " open chat sometimes drives me insane (lol have a fair amount of open chat friends )