Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

you're welcome already, now stop it!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
it's really nice when, if you get joined by a random person or you get pulled into someone else's fight, they thank you when you do something like heal them, or shield them.

But when you're in a dungeon with people, it get very annoying after a while.

Everyone in a dungeon are supposed to be a team. Everyone has a job to do. It should be automatically assumed that if people have shields, or people can heal others, that they will do so and automatically assumed that everyone else is quite happy to have them do so.

To have people saying ty over and over and over as you do your job becomes at first irritating, then annoying, then down right frustrating, especially if the dungeon is a long one and the fights each take quite a few rounds.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Well, first of all "Thank you" for your post...

I empathize with your viewpoint on this as anything repetitive can become annoying, even politeness. Another common overkill I overhear is "lol" or "XD" every other phrase... but then I digress.

If you know the player well enough you can discuss it with them, although in my experience you tend to develope a good raport with players that you quest with on more than just one quest.

I would guess that most players guilty of repetition are just being careful not to offend anyone or they are a stickler for proper manners. Believe me I have seen some players huffing and puffing about how they aren't appreciated.

IMO I think you have to learn to accept it and adapt your behavior to minimize it. I think the real reason is becomes a burden is that it implies that you also have to reply in kind; although this isn't necessarily true.
For sure (as you stated) you want to give and recieve a polite "ty" the first time you do something friendly or have it done to you. For most I think that buys you a pass on the next few favors, especially if you make a generous compliment at the end of the battle like "Great team work everyone".

In fact the more creative you get with it the less annoying it may be. So instead of just saying thank you you can say "Awesome" or "Would you be my gaurdian angel?" or "I wish I had thought of that". For your welcome you can say "That's what friends are for" or "Glad to be of service" or "I got your back". Behaving this way tends to be contagious and usually will encourage other players in the group to use a little creativity.
Of course you could be blunt and just say "yeah, I heard you the first 10 times" but then this kind of confrontation usually doesn't end well.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2011
~ Hello fellow young wizard ~ ikr :P ~ brianna sunrunner ~

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
Your making a thread because someone is being greatfull to you? LoL how can you find that annoying? You guys make a thread for every little thing. Soon you'll be complaining when people get doing XD or LoLing.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Did you know there are some wizards in the Spiral that get furious if you don't say thank you every time?

Once, someone jumped into my battle and casted pixie on myself when I was only at a loss of 30 health. I thought "odd," said thanks and continued on with the battle. Then the same person casts a 1 pip Dryad on me when I only lost 200 health. At this point I'm thinking this is ridiculous or a joke, but then they say, "what no thank you?" and then complained about how boring the fight was. Oh, and there was already a Life wizard with me doing all the healing.

It was a really weird. I almost had to flee my own duel.

Maybe wizards keep saying it, because they have run into that wizard too!!!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Um, it's basic courtesy you're complaining about? Really?

Most parents raise their children to say "please" and "thank you". Perhaps you missed that lesson?

Goodness,

qbb, polite parent and wizard who always remembers her manners

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Complaints about common courtesy. Now I've seen everything.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I wonder how come it is only expected to say thank you after a healing? How come no one thanks the Storm wizard for totally ravaging the enemies before anyone's life is actually in jeopardy or the Ice wizard for taking one for the team?

I guess everyone besides Balance, Death and Life are the thankless ones?

Champion
May 03, 2011
Yes, I agree with queenly. My goodness, manners are virtually extinct online--why complain about some polite kids (or adults) who want to express their gratitude? How long does it take to type "yw?" Surely there are worse things in the world than too many thank yous. Personally, it's people who never say please, never thank me for helping, who drive me nuts. And as for being thanked for "doing your job," everyone should be thanked for this. In the game and in real life. Personally, I like to feel appreciated.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
I was raised to be polite. I always do that! LOL My friends came up with different ways for me to do it, as it is a life long habit and I am long in the tooth. 8) Old dogs don't learn new tricks easily don't you know!

I am firmly with Queenly, AKi and Tabby. It is just common courtesy. :D

Megan

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
Yes, I agree with queenly. My goodness, manners are virtually extinct online--why complain about some polite kids (or adults) who want to express their gratitude? How long does it take to type "yw?" Surely there are worse things in the world than too many thank yous. Personally, it's people who never say please, never thank me for helping, who drive me nuts. And as for being thanked for "doing your job," everyone should be thanked for this. In the game and in real life. Personally, I like to feel appreciated.

I agree aswell. I get something like someone LoLing about everything even if its not funny but if someone says thank you theres no reason to complain about that. I consider it quite rude when I help someone in battle like a boss is pwing someone and I use efreet not only to weaken the boss but to make the boss hit me and they dont say thnx. I cant see why some being greatefull is annoying.

Aaron Drakewalker Level 60
Pyromancer

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
it's really nice when, if you get joined by a random person or you get pulled into someone else's fight, they thank you when you do something like heal them, or shield them.

But when you're in a dungeon with people, it get very annoying after a while.

Everyone in a dungeon are supposed to be a team. Everyone has a job to do. It should be automatically assumed that if people have shields, or people can heal others, that they will do so and automatically assumed that everyone else is quite happy to have them do so.

To have people saying ty over and over and over as you do your job becomes at first irritating, then annoying, then down right frustrating, especially if the dungeon is a long one and the fights each take quite a few rounds.

I am a repeat offender of saying "ty" every chance I get. Sometimes after a rebirth, I'll even say "yay - ty."

Why??? You said that it should be automatically assumed that everyone has a role in a team. Well, I don't assume... I'm sure a Life wizard wants to hit once in while instead of being the healer. They don't have to heal, you know. And when I play my Storm, most of the time it is assumed that I will be the hitter, but when there is no healer, I will heal since Life is my second school on Storm.

Sometimes, I'm busy chatting and typing and next thing I know I have shields and/ or blades. Then I say - "sorry busy chatting, ty whoever put blades or shields." Even if delayed, I like to acknowledge that someone gave or did something for me.

Someone did say to a group once - "no need to thank everytime - it's my job." Then I made a conscious effort not to "ty" but when one would slip, I said "habit" and they gave a smiley back.

Or another example - I have a few longtime wizard friends. We'll be in a battle together and although we know eachother's style and maybe even predict our spells and heals, we still say "ty" and "yw" to eachother's heals, blades, feints, and compliments on hits, etc. Even mid sentence as we chat and battle, "blah, blah, blah, btw ty for blade, blah blah."

I think it's always nice to give and receive "ty." :)

Defender
May 12, 2009
hp1055cm wrote:
Well, first of all "Thank you" for your post...

I empathize with your viewpoint on this as anything repetitive can become annoying, even politeness. Another common overkill I overhear is "lol" or "XD" every other phrase... but then I digress.

If you know the player well enough you can discuss it with them, although in my experience you tend to develope a good raport with players that you quest with on more than just one quest.

I would guess that most players guilty of repetition are just being careful not to offend anyone or they are a stickler for proper manners. Believe me I have seen some players huffing and puffing about how they aren't appreciated.

IMO I think you have to learn to accept it and adapt your behavior to minimize it. I think the real reason is becomes a burden is that it implies that you also have to reply in kind; although this isn't necessarily true.
For sure (as you stated) you want to give and recieve a polite "ty" the first time you do something friendly or have it done to you. For most I think that buys you a pass on the next few favors, especially if you make a generous compliment at the end of the battle like "Great team work everyone".

In fact the more creative you get with it the less annoying it may be. So instead of just saying thank you you can say "Awesome" or "Would you be my gaurdian angel?" or "I wish I had thought of that". For your welcome you can say "That's what friends are for" or "Glad to be of service" or "I got your back". Behaving this way tends to be contagious and usually will encourage other players in the group to use a little creativity.
Of course you could be blunt and just say "yeah, I heard you the first 10 times" but then this kind of confrontation usually doesn't end well.

I agree, it gets really annoying because of the repetition. The thank yous get lost if two people heal you, it gets annoying an repetitive, if people keep saying thank you and you're welcome, and no one wants to hear be quiet already! When they're trying to be polite. I might wait till it gets annoying and tell my partner, I think we can stop saying thank you know so we dont get insane.
P.S lol is overabused. It means laugh out loud, which I doubt happens too often, as good an icebreaker in a conversation as it is.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
You know, sometimes it's considered rude not to say "Ty" and, I think you should be happy. Also, you can TURN CHAT BUBBLES OFF. It helps.