Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What about reseting your talent points?

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Add me to the chorus of people who would like the chance to redistribute training points. Both my kids got starry-eyed at all the other spell choices and made characters with scattered secondaries.

I think either a fee or an lengthy quest is fair in exchange for getting a second chance at a secondary school.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I am glad I started this topic

Keep it coming we might get someone to hear us :)

Mr.Swiftcaster

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
i'd like to be able to respec as well. if people are worried about a "FOTM" thing happening then a possibility is that only secondary schools are changable.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
ArcanaJayne wrote:
Add me to the chorus of people who would like the chance to redistribute training points. Both my kids got starry-eyed at all the other spell choices and made characters with scattered secondaries.

I think either a fee or an lengthy quest is fair in exchange for getting a second chance at a secondary school.

I Agree. I made a mistake, picked one Balance when Myth was my secondary wizard choice. Now I realized that I messed myself up in the long run and im hitting myself over the head for it.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
i do not care about one free respec. I do though care about this buying cards thing and am against it if in anyway it can be used towards pvp.

I just can't see how it would be a benefit. He who has the most real life money can buy the crowns to but the gear...but then throw in cards and thats hurts, my opinion only, those who do not have that kind of cash to just up and buy cards. If the prof's wanna let ya buy gear/cards for pve fine go ahead but keep the buying cards out of pvp.

Tanner Foeflame

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
bullseyehk wrote:
i do not care about one free respec. I do though care about this buying cards thing and am against it if in anyway it can be used towards pvp.

I just can't see how it would be a benefit. He who has the most real life money can buy the crowns to but the gear...but then throw in cards and thats hurts, my opinion only, those who do not have that kind of cash to just up and buy cards. If the prof's wanna let ya buy gear/cards for pve fine go ahead but keep the buying cards out of pvp.

Tanner Foeflame

That's not the Subject here, The subject is Respec talent points not "buying Cards"

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
Yes i full agree they should make it able to reset your talent point and for crowns only. I am a top dueler :D and would welcome the added challage from better build decks. As the game grows new spells will added and old spells that were once useless now become powerfull. The people who say, "no dont let them reset points because i wont have the winning deck anymore" will start crying,"it not fair i dont have the points to get the spells now for the new best combo". So i have no problem letting people reset talent points.

Now why crown? I support K.I. with making money. If they dont make money they dont stay open. Plus i only want serious wizards able to do this.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
Wrong Windchaser go back and read page 1. Here is Fireflash 101's response

"How about having 1 or 2 special shops that sells cards outright? Rather than using talent points on them, maybe something like 20K for a card outside your school, getting more expensive at each level of spell?

With the level cap currently at 50, and trainining points at such a premium, allowing us to buy spell cards would help. I tried to focus on my primary school and a secondary school. By the end of Krokotopia, I realized that I had the wrong secondary school, but it was too late. Now I have tried to implement a 3rd spell, but there is simply not enough training points to get useful spells. "

And Squeky had one as well. This idea of respec encompass's more for some folks then just getting cards with talen points.

Tanner FoeFlame

Survivor
Oct 05, 2008
Seriously i really want the reset button i really messed up:( I am a level 50 pyromancer who picked storm magic as secondary school which really hurts in the long run. i love the character i am using but am upset that i have storm school. So please if there is any way for you developers to put a reset button on the training points i would be greatly appreciative!

Survivor
Oct 05, 2008
windtracer wrote:
Dridsuzy wrote:
This is a HORRIBLE idea.

There aren't enough choices in this game to validate the idea of being able to change it. There aren't different classes...we are all wizards, we choose a primary school and then a secondary school. That's it. That's your character development. If you mess up one of only the TWO things in this game we get to choose...well then, I really don't know what to say.

Start a new wizard. Save your Talent points till you're 20th level, then decide. It's actually very easy to do this. A second school is actually just a distraction in lower levels anyway.

Besides, Respec will absolutely ruin PvP.

Hail,
I Disagree in all aspects including the pvp. I don't see how this is a bad Idea, or how this would ruin PvP if " A second school is actually just a distraction in lower levels anyway." then whats the problem? I feel much differently at higher lvl's it would be nice to have back up and I dont have a second school By the way I use random card vendors in hidden shops and still I want my 4 talents points back I am lvl 50 why would I reroll another toon??

Mr.swiftcaster

Ps I am seriously waiting for your response in the PvP aspect.

I totally agree with you i am level 50 also there is no point on reseting a toon! and besides he doesnt have to use the reset button if he is so happy with his choices!

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Justin 2010,

You're correct. I probably wouldn't respec. I'm happy with my toon. 32 lvl balance wizard. I actually haven't used any of my Talent Points yet. There's really been no need.

I can see where Fire/Storm could be causing you some PvP problems. All Offense, no Defense and a High Fizzle rate on both. I'm sure it was OK in PvE, but now it is definitely lacking. If you got a Respec what would you get? 5 points into Ice for Tower Shield? Then 7 points into Death for Feint? That should leave just enough for the Satyr Healing card in Life and maybe some Elemental Blades or something?

You and EVERYONE else would do this. Make no mistake. If you're prepared to fight against everyone with exactly the same defenses then by all means, let's support the ability to Respec.

There simply isn't enough diversity in this game to warrant respecs. There are maybe three or four spells that really shine, but mostly the schools provide the same thing with just different animations. A poor choice is a poor choice. That's why there are 6 character slots. PvP is a relatively new aspect of this game anyway. Were people calling for respecs before PvP came out?

I like the idea of it costing Crowns. That might work I guess.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
bullseyehk wrote:
Wrong Windchaser go back and read page 1. Here is Fireflash 101's response

"How about having 1 or 2 special shops that sells cards outright? Rather than using talent points on them, maybe something like 20K for a card outside your school, getting more expensive at each level of spell?

With the level cap currently at 50, and trainining points at such a premium, allowing us to buy spell cards would help. I tried to focus on my primary school and a secondary school. By the end of Krokotopia, I realized that I had the wrong secondary school, but it was too late. Now I have tried to implement a 3rd spell, but there is simply not enough training points to get useful spells. "

And Squeky had one as well. This idea of respec encompass's more for some folks then just getting cards with talen points.

Tanner FoeFlame

Hail,

Alright You win that argument I must have totally missed that post, If I saw it I would have brought that up, No I don't want to see people buying cards with Gold or crowns but I do want to be able to re do my talents atleast once. it will bring better duels in my Opinion.

P.S its Windtracer or Swiftcaster

Mr.swiftcaster

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
The only way I would support this idea would be with the following limitation:

You are stuck with your primary class, it wipes everything else.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
GreenMalice wrote:

I can support this idea. I can't imagine respeccing primary class, but secondary, absolutely.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
GreenMalice wrote:

Hail,

Yes That was my intention. I just want to get the "points" reset not primary.

Mr.swiftcaster

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
GreenMalice wrote:

This was exactly what I was thinking!

Primary school should never change. And only talent points reset for alternative spells outside your school.

I guess an alternative to this whole "respec" thing would be to allow the creation of additional characters at or near the current level of your highest character because noone wants to go through all the quests again from scratch just to spec a new character differently.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I messed up in my talents. I chose fire as my primary and myth as my secondary. For those who don't know most of the myth and fire spells are kinda similar.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I understand that this may be the first MMO for many people. That being said, it's kinda understood that you will have more than one character for these types of games. No, you don't get FREE high level characters simply because you leveled one to max. You start a new character over just like you started your first one. This keeps you playing and paying and KI stays in business. It may seem unfair to have to do the same quests over, but it's actually alot faster the second time. This is the game....you PLAY it. You don't level a character to max and WIN it.

Second of all, I don't understand the last few posts about keeping your primary school but getting a respec for the talent points you spent in your secondary school.

YOU DON'T USE TALENT POINTS FOR YOUR PRIMARY SCHOOL.

Those spells are free. Any discussion regarding respeccing talent points should automatically assume that it is in regard to basically getting all your talent points back so you can then choose a different second, third, or even fourth school of magic to pursue.

Third of all, I'm going to try and explain a concept to folks. You don't need a second school of magic for damage. Really. Power Pips make choosing a second school based on the damage spells totally inefficient You should use your talent points to get individual spells from the other schools that will augment your primary. Like more shields, or heals or blades.

Believe me, you won't be wasting power pips to cast high level offschool damage spells. Especially in Duels. If you find yourself in this situation, then reroll. Create another Character and be smarter about your talent point usage this time. This is what you do in an MMO. You have lots of characters. Enjoy the game again from the start. The new Bank sharing that's coming out will definitely help you do this.

Don't claim that you love only "This" character. You don't. He/she has a bad spec and you're on this thread to complain about it. Yes, you may have good gear and enjoy your Primary School. If so, reroll with the same School and go get the same gear, but spend your Talent points more carefully. I can guarantee that you will love your new charcter more than your old one.

One thing that might work is that with the release of New Worlds or New Spells, KI might offer a one time only Talent Point Respec. I could support something like that.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:
I understand that this may be the first MMO for many people. That being said, it's kinda understood that you will have more than one character for these types of games. No, you don't get FREE high level characters simply because you leveled one to max. You start a new character over just like you started your first one. This keeps you playing and paying and KI stays in business. It may seem unfair to have to do the same quests over, but it's actually alot faster the second time. This is the game....you PLAY it. You don't level a character to max and WIN it.

Second of all, I don't understand the last few posts about keeping your primary school but getting a respec for the talent points you spent in your secondary school.

YOU DON'T USE TALENT POINTS FOR YOUR PRIMARY SCHOOL.

Those spells are free. Any discussion regarding respeccing talent points should automatically assume that it is in regard to basically getting all your talent points back so you can then choose a different second, third, or even fourth school of magic to pursue.

Third of all, I'm going to try and explain a concept to folks. You don't need a second school of magic for damage. Really. Power Pips make choosing a second school based on the damage spells totally inefficient You should use your talent points to get individual spells from the other schools that will augment your primary. Like more shields, or heals or blades.

Believe me, you won't be wasting power pips to cast high level offschool damage spells. Especially in Duels. If you find yourself in this situation, then reroll. Create another Character and be smarter about your talent point usage this time. This is what you do in an MMO. You have lots of characters. Enjoy the game again from the start. The new Bank sharing that's coming out will definitely help you do this.

Don't claim that you love only "This" character. You don't. He/she has a bad spec and you're on this thread to complain about it. Yes, you may have good gear and enjoy your Primary School. If so, reroll with the same School and go get the same gear, but spend your Talent points more carefully. I can guarantee that you will love your new charcter more than your old one.

One thing that might work is that with the release of New Worlds or New Spells, KI might offer a one time only Talent Point Respec. I could support something like that.

I think that a one time only talent point respec would be good, also I love my fire character but i am also playing on a novice storm character. A one time respec would offer a chance to fix mistakes you've made in talent speccing. But I also think that it should only be available to level 50s. I think that because even if you make mistakes you should stick it out to the end and then if you still don't like them you could fix them.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2009
I like the idea of respec and here is another. Most wizards will have reached grandmaster level by the time the sixth world comes out. Why not allow grandmasters to join a new school (kind of like high school) and they can then continue to level up and earn training points. In addition they will be learning a new school to add to their original. Of course that would mean larger decks, new name levels, etc. but you guys at KingsIsle have done such a great job so far, I think your creative minds can handle it. Elizabeth Seadreamer

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
LibraryOwl wrote:
I like the idea of respec and here is another. Most wizards will have reached grandmaster level by the time the sixth world comes out. Why not allow grandmasters to join a new school (kind of like high school) and they can then continue to level up and earn training points. In addition they will be learning a new school to add to their original. Of course that would mean larger decks, new name levels, etc. but you guys at KingsIsle have done such a great job so far, I think your creative minds can handle it. Elizabeth Seadreamer

Nice idea.

Anything that adds to diversity among characters is going to be a good thing for the game and for the players.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
I to would like to have the opportunity to redistribute training points. I'm suprised no admin has responded to this topic yet, it's a solid idea. I think that the advantages (player satisfaction) would outweigh the negatives (possible cookie cutter pvp).

Administrator
This post was from March, young Wizard.

When young Wizards first start out at Ravenwood School of Magical Arts, they are often excited by the many different spells to spend Training Points on, such as shields and magical spells outside their school of focus. We understand that as Wizards progress, they sometimes wish they could return those spells in exchange for their Training Points back. Well now you can!

After you've reached level 12, Mr Lincoln in Golem Court will allow you to Spend Crowns to buy back all your Training Points and return all of the spells obtained with those Training Points. You can respend your new Training Points as desired.

The price in Crowns is dependent on how many training points you have spent.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
I am not meaning to contradict a admin but the idea of it going up with how many training points spent scares me. I have spent a lot of points and I did not know the price would go up if I spent them. So I honestly would agree with other people.
I have a idea though if you put it up for people with out crowns where they have to buy it, and of course the price would go up so they will learn to be smart with their money.

Yours truly,

Steven Darksword (master wizard)

When young Wizards first start out at Ravenwood School of Magical Arts, they are often excited by the many different spells to spend Training Points on, such as shields and magical spells outside their school of focus. We understand that as Wizards progress, they sometimes wish they could return those spells in exchange for their Training Points back. Well now you can!

After you've reached level 12, Mr Lincoln in Golem Court will allow you to Spend Crowns to buy back all your Training Points and return all of the spells obtained with those Training Points. You can respend your new Training Points as desired.

The price in Crowns is dependent on how many training points you have spent.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
Thank you for the response Professor Greyrose! I wasn't aware this had already been implemented. I don't remember seeing it in the players guide, though I may have missed it. I had posted on the subject because I was hoping to post a similar idea, but found it had already been discussed.

Thank you for informing me, and others!